Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ein cooler Typ posted:

of the late season dramatic episodes I like the one where it's in real time 22 minute episode and they have to save this guy but they're waiting for the other guy to die so they can harvest his aorta

That ep is insanely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cojawfee posted:

I hope they have an audio channel with no laugh track.

Depends on their syndication package. There’s one with a laugh track and a crappy picture and there’s one without a laugh track with a cleaned up picture.

[quote="“Mister Kingdom”" post="“476578159”"]
“What took so long?”

“The guy it was attached to was still using it.”
[/quote]

The Christmas episode where they get the dying guy and BJ refuses to let him die on Christmas despite there being no hope, with Margaret, Hawkeye, and BJ working on him in secret during the Christmas party. :smith:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've started watching from the pilot. It's drat good, even in these early episodes. I'm up to s1e6, "Yankee Doodle Doctor"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've started watching from the pilot. It's drat good, even in these early episodes. I'm up to s1e6, "Yankee Doodle Doctor"

There are more decent ones than you'd think in Season 1, ("Sometimes You Hear the Bullet", especially if you're going through them in order and paying attention to Hawkeye's characterization/role in the group) but Season 2 is where OG M*A*S*H definitely get their poo poo together.

Man, Henry in "Bullet" as well. That episode is so good, really sets the stage for later stories.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ein cooler Typ posted:

My favorite episode is the one with Captain Tuttle.
Captain Tuttle is my favorite character in the whole series. Godspeed, captain. RIP :smith: :patriot:

The only episode I really strongly dislike is the bottle episode where it's just Hawkeye in a one room shack with a Korean family, and he goes on and on and on in a terrible monologue. I half-expected at some point for him to just shout "ACTING!" like in that SNL skit with John Lithgow and Jon Lovitz.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Talking of Alan Alda, he's loving phenomenal in Horace and Pete (which also stars Steve Buscemi and Louis CK, and is on Hulu)

He's also a cool guy

quote:

I still don't like the word agnostic. It's too fancy. I'm simply not a believer. But, as simple as this notion is, it confuses some people. Someone wrote a Wikipedia entry about me, identifying me as an atheist because I'd said in a book I wrote that I wasn't a believer. I guess in a world uncomfortable with uncertainty, an unbeliever must be an atheist, and possibly an infidel.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Pham Nuwen posted:

It really doesn't take very long at all to gel.

Regarding the laugh track: as annoying as it is, it doesn't show up in the OR scenes. As a result, the jokes really stand out as sounding like the actual grim, medical shop-talk gallows humor that you're going to overhear if you follow doctors around for a while.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

Talking of Alan Alda, he's loving phenomenal in Horace and Pete (which also stars Steve Buscemi and Louis CK, and is on Hulu)

He's also a cool guy

I got to see Alan Alda speak last year at the University of Tennessee. He was giving lectures about communication and science (how to get the masses to understand and care about science), and at 80 years old he seems to be doing great. He will always be one of my favorites.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 21, 2017

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The only piece of trivia I really know about MASH was that Hawkeye was married in the book, but Standards and Practices made them make him single on the tv show so he could fool around with nurses without being an adulterer.

In terms of minor characters who don't get as much love as they should, I've always had a soft spot for Nurse Kellye.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Epicurius posted:

The only piece of trivia I really know about MASH was that Hawkeye was married in the book, but Standards and Practices made them make him single on the tv show so he could fool around with nurses without being an adulterer.

Why just him? Trapper, Henry, and Frank screwed around.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Epicurius posted:

In terms of minor characters who don't get as much love as they should, I've always had a soft spot for Nurse Kellye.

Agreed, see my post in on page 1.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834562&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post476511328

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Epicurius posted:

I like Lt. Ginger, mainly for her role in that one episode where the racist guy wants to be sure he gets "the right blood".

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

nate fisher posted:

I got to see Alan Alda speak last year at the University of Tennessee. He was giving lectures about communication and science (how to get the masses to understand and care about science), and at 80 years old he seems to be doing great. He will always be one of my favorites.

I remember in middle school science class we'd watch Scientific American Frontiers on LASERDISC. He hosted and narrated it. They were pretty cool.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I remember loving this show but I don't think I ever saw the movie or read the original novel it was based on (in fact, I didn't even know there was a novel until this thread). Are they any good?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 21, 2017

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Mister Kingdom posted:

A couple of Frank moments that stand out: one ep had Hawkeye torturing himself over a patient that kept getting worse after an intense surgery. When Margaret suggested that he may have missed something, he goes back in and did indeed find a piece of shrapnel. Frank sincerely commented that anyone could have missed it.

I haven't seen MASH in many years, but because of this thread I decided to watch it when it was on TV and it was this specific episode.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Larryb posted:

I remember loving this show but I don't think I ever saw the movie or read the original novel it was based on (in fact, I didn't even know there was a novel until this thread). Are they any good?

The movie is good but it's a completely different beast than the television show. Half of the reason to watch it is Elliott Gould.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

I got to see Alan Alda speak last year at the University of Tennessee.

Hey, me too! I don't get back to knoxville much these days but I lived there for almost 15 years. Longbranch used to be my favorite bar in the world

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Larryb posted:

The novel is a pro-Vietnam pile of trash. The movie turned it into an episodic subversive anti-war film and it's a landmark of New Hollywood. And yeah, Elliott Gould.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 21, 2017

nerox
May 20, 2001
MASH and Hogan's Heroes were a staple of my TV watching youth with my dad.

My dad still watches an hour of MASH everyday when he eats supper 20 years later.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

precision posted:

Hey, me too! I don't get back to knoxville much these days but I lived there for almost 15 years. Longbranch used to be my favorite bar in the world

My only memory of Long Branch is getting kicked out for being 16.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
[quote="“precision”" post="“476620143”"]
Hey, me too! I don’t get back to knoxville much these days but I lived there for almost 15 years. Longbranch used to be my favorite bar in the world
[/quote]

I just looked to see who speaking this year (Bill Nye was the year before that), and it looks like they don't announce it until early October. I moved to Knoxville from Johnson City back in 2004, and I have never been to the Longbranch (I hang out mostly at Pres Pub and Barleys). I heard from some of friends some complaints about the new ownership and paying bands.

Luigi Thirty posted:

The novel is a pro-Vietnam pile of trash. The movie turned it into an episodic subversive anti-war film and it's a landmark of New Hollywood. And yeah, Elliott Gould.

Because of this thread I ordered the novel. I feel like I have to read it. The movie was great. Man I really miss Robert Altman movies.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

nate fisher posted:

Because of this thread I ordered the novel. I feel like I have to read it. The movie was great. Man I really miss Robert Altman movies.

Interesting trivia about the movie: Altman said he mad $70,000 directing it, but his 14-year-old son made over a million writing "Suicide is Painless".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

I just looked to see who speaking this year (Bill Nye was the year before that), and it looks like they don't announce it until early October. I moved to knoxville from Johnson City in 2004

I was born in Piney Flats, left as a kid, came back and lived in Johnson City between 95 and 98. Ever hang out at Whittles or New Beginnings? This is gonna be one of those weird deals where we used to know each other but both never knew the other was a goon!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mister Kingdom posted:

Interesting trivia about the movie: Altman said he mad $70,000 directing it, but his 14-year-old son made over a million writing "Suicide is Painless".

Well yeah, he would get paid royalties every time the TV show airs. Whereas I don't know who is going to be running the MASH movie.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Epicurius posted:

fun fact: Nurse Kellye is in more episodes than Henry Blake and Trapper John

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

I was born in Piney Flats, left as a kid, came back and lived in Johnson City between 95 and 98. Ever hang out at Whittles or New Beginnings? This is gonna be one of those weird deals where we used to know each other but both never knew the other was a goon!

I grew up in Jonesborough, left for the Marines in 91, came back to JC (Boone's Creek area) in 95, and left after graduating ETSU in 04. Whittles is a no, but New Beginnings a handful of times. Most of the people I know during that time worked at SPS which became Citibank (the big call center in Gray). Call centers are the reason I went to college. I had to get the gently caress out of that life.

Edit: To keep it MASH related in the Marines I always tried to use Hawkeye as an influence, because it was so loving absurd.

[quote="“Cojawfee”" post="“476633318”"]
Well yeah, he would get paid royalties every time the TV show airs. Whereas I don’t know who is going to be running the MASH movie.
[/quote]

It use to show up on TBS a lot back in the day. Last time I saw it was steaming on Netflix or Prime?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 22, 2017

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Mister Kingdom posted:

Why just him? Trapper, Henry, and Frank screwed around.

Figures, the one piece of trivia I knew about the show would be wrong. I had thought I had a source for it, but can't find it now.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Epicurius posted:

Figures, the one piece of trivia I knew about the show would be wrong. I had thought I had a source for it, but can't find it now.

It's possible they had different standards for a protagonist

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know if that's fair about the book. It's not overly political and is fairly inoffensive. And the movie is basically a bunch of scenes from the book....Hawkeye getting Burns to punch him to get Burns thrown out of the unit, operating on the baby and having to blackmail the hospital colonel, the football game where they bring in a ringer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nate fisher posted:

It use to show up on TBS a lot back in the day. Last time I saw it was steaming on Netflix or Prime?

In the UK at least, it's on basically every streaming service anyone sane would have. Amazon, Netflix and I think NowTV as well.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Epicurius posted:

I don't know if that's fair about the book. It's not overly political and is fairly inoffensive. And the movie is basically a bunch of scenes from the book....Hawkeye getting Burns to punch him to get Burns thrown out of the unit, operating on the baby and having to blackmail the hospital colonel, the football game where they bring in a ringer.

Just to echo this, I read the novel for the first time about a year or so ago, after having watched the show since I was a kid in the late 90s (FX used to run it from 2 to 4 every weekday afternoon and that was part of my after school ritual for years) and seeing the movie a bunch of times over the years, not the mention Altman's really negative comments about the novel, and was really surprised how close the movie actually is to the book in its overall plot. As mentioned, most of the episodic moments that make up the film come directly from the book, and it doesn't feel as tonally opposite as some people (Like Altman) might imply.

It's also fairly short, my paperback copy is under 220 pages, and flows along pretty well, particularly if you've seen the movie so you'll know the bulk of the story and whatnot, so it's pretty easy to breeze through it very quickly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

precision posted:

He's also a cool guy

Alan Alda posted:

I still don't like the word agnostic. It's too fancy. I'm simply not a believer. But, as simple as this notion is, it confuses some people. Someone wrote a Wikipedia entry about me, identifying me as an atheist because I'd said in a book I wrote that I wasn't a believer. I guess in a world uncomfortable with uncertainty, an unbeliever must be an atheist, and possibly an infidel.
How is that cool? He sounds like a wanker. "Someone said I was an atheist just because it's literally true, but I don't like that word, or the other word that's commonly used to mean the exact same thing, so I'm denying that either term applies to me." An unbeliever is an atheist, that is the definition of the word. If anyone's confused it's because he's making it confusing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

How is that cool? He sounds like a wanker. "Someone said I was an atheist just because it's literally true, but I don't like that word, or the other word that's commonly used to mean the exact same thing, so I'm denying that either term applies to me." An unbeliever is an atheist, that is the definition of the word. If anyone's confused it's because he's making it confusing.

I don't think anybody in the world wants to read yet another argument about whether agnostics are a subset of atheists. It's such pedantry, and besides that, it's useful to have one term that means "I don't know if there's a god or not" and another term that means "I am sure there is no god".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's not difficult. Gnostic and theist are on separate axes. You can be an agnostic or gnostic atheist, or you can be an agnostic or gnostic theist. One axis is you know or dont know. The other one is there is or isn't a god.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Remember the episode where they're laying a cement floor for the OR to stop infections? When they're signing the cement slab, Hawkeye makes a crack about how a noseprint signature would be a great tourist attraction at Grauman's Hopefully Not Chinese Theater.

At Disney World, there's a replica of the facade of Grauman's with early-90s cement signatures from visiting celebrities out front, just like the real one. One of them is Alan Alda.

He left a noseprint.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The creators made a point of saying that the fate of the characters was due to the fact that war changes people:

Henry - dead
Trapper - doesn't seem to have changed since we didn't actually see him leave
Frank - went crazy and got promoted to Lt. Colonel
Radar - matured quite a bit especially after being injured
Hawkeye - went nuts, but got better
BJ - cheated on his wife
Charles - had his love of music ruined
Mulcahy - went deaf (but would be cured in AfterMASH)
Klinger - stayed in Korea despite spending all that time trying to get out
Margaret - married and divorced
Potter - didn't really change too much except maybe learning to lighten up a bit after dealing with the MASH personnel

e: spoilered by request.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 22, 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

The creators made a point of saying that the fate of the characters was due to the fact that war changes people:

Henry - dead
Trapper - doesn't seem to have changed since we didn't actually see him leave
Frank - went crazy and got promoted to Lt. Colonel
Radar - matured quite a bit especially after being injured
Hawkeye - went nuts, but got better
BJ - cheated on his wife
Charles - had his love of music ruined
Mulcahy - went deaf (but would be cured in AfterMASH)
Klinger - stayed in Korea despite spending all that time trying to get out
Margaret - married and divorced
Potter - didn't really change too much except maybe learning to lighten up a bit after dealing with the MASH personnel

I assume Potter's service in WWI already showed him the worst of war.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 22, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Mister Kingdom posted:

Four decades and all, but since we have some people working through the series for the first time (and we've already had at least one request for it), would you mind spoiler-tagging that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think Potter's arc is similar to Patrick Stewart in Star Trek. He went into that show as an uptight British actor from the Royal Shakespeare Company or whichever one it was. So he was always serious and got pissed off because all the other actors were goofing off and having fun. Eventually, he learned how to lighten up and have fun while still working. Though, apparently Patrick Stewart became the worst of anyone for goofing off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Since we've never talked about it, how about this as a spoiler policy: we only spoiler-tag the two "finales": "Abyssinia, Henry" and "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen." Besides anyone just starting out, it also covers folks who have only watched piecemeal through syndication (which didn't even include "Goodbye" for a decade) and may have missed one of the two.

• Locked thread