Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Mister Kingdom posted:

e: spoilered by request.

Thanks Mister and Pham!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Somebody needs to make a video of every time Hotlips says "Oh, Frank!" when he mentions his wife or whatever.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

In order, or all at once?

I'm partial to the cacophony of OH, FRANK myself.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

precision posted:

I don't think anybody in the world wants to read yet another argument about whether agnostics are a subset of atheists. It's such pedantry, and besides that, it's useful to have one term that means "I don't know if there's a god or not" and another term that means "I am sure there is no god".

It's not even about that though because he said he doesn't want to be called either term. Like, he's too special to use ordinary words that everyone understands.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

After The War posted:

Since we've never talked about it, how about this as a spoiler policy: we only spoiler-tag the two "finales": "Abyssinia, Henry" and "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen." Besides anyone just starting out, it also covers folks who have only watched piecemeal through syndication (which didn't even include "Goodbye" for a decade) and may have missed one of the two.

I agree. I went into "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen" without spoilers and thought it was pretty powerful. Let's try to preserve that for other people.

Also, I'm a little annoyed. This thread had made me want to watch M*A*S*H but it's not available to stream anywhere. I see news articles from two months ago saying that it's coming to Hulu soon, but only radio silence since.

Tiggum posted:

It's not even about that though because he said he doesn't want to be called either term. Like, he's too special to use ordinary words that everyone understands.

I don't know his reasoning, but he might just dislike being labeled in such a way. When people hear that someone is an "atheist" or "agnostic," they probably have preconceptions about how that person might think or act. But it's a little silly to define a person by what they aren't.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 23, 2017

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

DorianGravy posted:

Also, I'm a little annoyed. This thread had made me want to watch M*A*S*H but it's not available to stream anywhere. I see news articles from two months ago saying that it's coming to Hulu soon, but only radio silence since.

It's out there, in spades. Just include "reddit" in your searches, and use the s*e* format for specific eps.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I had already watched a few seasons of the show before seeing the movie.

I'm wondering if they went over-the-top for Frank on the show because Robert Duvall made him so creepy in the movie.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Egbert Souse posted:

I had already watched a few seasons of the show before seeing the movie.

I'm wondering if they went over-the-top for Frank on the show because Robert Duvall made him so creepy in the movie.

He was an easy target to make into a buffoon.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Aw, bummer man. I just remembered this thread existed and I had to go to page 2 of my bookmarks to find it. :( I was hoping for some liveposting from people watching it for the first time. I guess young goons just don't have the time or patience to appreciate a thoughtful, sanely-paced TV classic. :sigh:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I got the versions without laugh tracks but it's too hard to watch because I don't know when I'm supposed to laugh

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I still love that 30 Rock had a joke about the mash finale that was perfect in everyway

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bobkatt013 posted:

I still love that 30 Rock had a joke about the mash finale that was perfect in everyway

Well, don't tell us what it was or we might be able to enjoy it too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Well, don't tell us what it was or we might be able to enjoy it too.

In the spirit of the thread just letting you know it contains spoilers for the last episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXHf1CLVQI4&sns=em

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

That wasn't nearly as offensive as I'd hoped it would be.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

That wasn't nearly as offensive as I'd hoped it would be.

poo poo I just realized that they cut the punch line
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7RKmlOiwDRk

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Ahh there we go.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

I grew up watching MASH with my brother after we were supposed to have gone to bed. I was probably 5 when we started watching it, so I obviously missed a lot. I would occasionally catch an episode as I got older and kept finding new things to enjoy. 3-ish years ago I watched it from beginning to end over about 4 months. It can be a little bit rough, but is definitely worth the ride. I think the only show that had a bigger impact on me as a kid was TNG. I'd give my left nut for MASH to get the same blue-ray treatment that TNG got, but I doubt it'll happen.

Spoiler, related "Abyssinia, Henry":
I just watched "Henry, Please Come Home" and I got pretty choked up at the end, thinking about what happens to Henry. The little hug he gives Radar in the last scene is loving heartbreaking once you've seen "Abyssinia, Henry". I think I was 6 when I saw it the first time, I probably cried for a solid hour. Potter is great, but Henry is just so drat lovable, even if he is a little one-note.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
before I ever watched MASH I knew what happened to Henry and had seen that scene parodied on Family Guy and heard it referenced so many times it was just a meme to me

so when I finally did watch the series I didn't really get the full effect they intended. I read somewhere that none of the actors knew what was gonna happen but I've also read conflicting stories so who the heck knows

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ein cooler Typ posted:

before I ever watched MASH I knew what happened to Henry and had seen that scene parodied on Family Guy and heard it referenced so many times it was just a meme to me

so when I finally did watch the series I didn't really get the full effect they intended. I read somewhere that none of the actors knew what was gonna happen but I've also read conflicting stories so who the heck knows

Larry Gelbart sets the record straight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3Rh2EkQWhw

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Great thread; thanks for putting this together. I have many great memories of watching as a kid and on and off over the years in syndication. I will definitely rewatch once it's up on Hulu (if it's not already).

I just now realized there's more than a little bit of Charles Emerson Winchester III in Frasier Crane.

Random trivia: MacLean Stevenson and Roger Bowen (actor who portrayed Col Blake in the movie) died within a week of each other.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Henry Blake: "You'd think a man with ROTC training wouldn't go peeking up a doll's shirt"

Frank Burns: "Well I am a doctor"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

M*A*S*H had three dedicated Christmas episodes ("Dear Dad," "Dear Sis," and "Death Takes a Holiday") and they are all knockouts. Anybody going to try and get one (or several) in for the holiday?

(Just posting that pic makes me a little teary, it's such an amazing episode.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

After The War posted:

M*A*S*H had three dedicated Christmas episodes ("Dear Dad," "Dear Sis," and "Death Takes a Holiday") and they are all knockouts. Anybody going to try and get one (or several) in for the holiday?

(Just posting that pic makes me a little teary, it's such an amazing episode.)

The best way to do it is doing it and not letting anyone know. It's the Boston way

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Checking in to say that Houlihan was more tolerable in the latter episodes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think she cooled down once Frank left and she was no longer teaming up with him to ruin fun.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah. After Frank left she became less of a cartoon and actually got some characterization.

That episode where she hooks up with Hawkeye was another low point though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CBJamo posted:

I'd give my left nut for MASH to get the same blue-ray treatment that TNG got, but I doubt it'll happen.

It'll be easier to bring MASH to HD/Blu-ray since it was entirely shot and edited on film except for one or two "clip show" episodes edited on video. Considering Fox saw it fit to remaster all of a garbage show like Lost in Space in HD, it's probably only a matter of time.

Season one might be in rough condition since it's the only one that stuck out as in rough shape on Netflix, but they were also trying to mimic the heavily filtered look of the Altman film unlike later seasons.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 25, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They would be stupid to not scan MASH for Bluray. I'm surprised they haven't considering shows from the 50s and 60s shot in film have been running in HD on those nostalgia channels for years now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The early seasons were shot on some new film stock that deteriorated really quickly, that’s why season 1 looks super rough.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The effects shots, ironically, are probably why Star Trek: TOS and TNG even got it done, because it's a lot easier to argue that HD matters for a sci-fi show with action scenes and SFX than for a sitcom.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Wife and I are sick as dogs. She's watching a station that marathons MASH eps every day, and drat it is jarring as they play them in no particular order and the characters like Hot Lips are so different over the span of the series.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Hasselblad posted:

Wife and I are sick as dogs. She's watching a station that marathons MASH eps every day, and drat it is jarring as they play them in no particular order and the characters like Hot Lips are so different over the span of the series.

I've seen interviews with Loretta Swit who swears her character did not change that much.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

The gently caress? First thing that came to mind was a flashback of Hot Lips gettin down with General Whatshisname in a medical lab and knocking down a bunch of beakers or something, vs. Margaret falling hard for the Swedish guy who got his junk blown off by a landmine. How can she be blind to such huge differences?

Regarding said character growth, I'm torn on whether I like it or not. It takes away a foil for Hawk and Beej, and hell they even nearly took away Winchester as a foil too, in the last season or two. Granted, in the case of Margaret, the departure of Frank was a big factor, and choosing not to give her a new "partner in crime" was definitely a good decision.

Love the poo poo outta MASH, even the final 2 or 3 seasons, but boy did they have some flaws. A lot of those near-end episodes are frankly full of cringeworthy moments.

E: got links to any of those interviews?

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 27, 2018

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The gently caress? First thing that came to mind was a flashback of Hot Lips gettin down with General Whatshisname in a medical lab and knocking down a bunch of beakers or something, vs. Margaret falling hard for the Swedish guy who got his junk blown off by a landmine. How can she be blind to such huge differences?

Regarding said character growth, I'm torn on whether I like it or not. It takes away a foil for Hawk and Beej, and hell they even nearly took away Winchester as a foil too, in the last season or two. Granted, in the case of Margaret, the departure of Frank was a big factor, and choosing not to give her a new "partner in crime" was definitely a good decision.

Love the poo poo outta MASH, even the final 2 or 3 seasons, but boy did they have some flaws. A lot of those near-end episodes are frankly full of cringeworthy moments.

E: got links to any of those interviews?

It's been a while since I saw that interview, but she claims all the things she did were all part of the same character. In the early eps, she seemed to be unable to live without Frank, but later became a strong independent woman. It's odd that she would criticize the other officers for their womanizing while having an affair with a married man.

Also, the she was married to the the actor who played the Swedish officer.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's been a while since I saw that interview, but she claims all the things she did were all part of the same character.

Huh. Well, if that's how it was for her, who am I to argue?

quote:

Also, the she was married to the the actor who played the Swedish officer.

Oh, wow. That sure sheds light on the very believable chemistry... it wasn't fiction!

fake edit: Holy loving poo poo, his last name was Holahan!:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0638469/characters/nm0389971?ref_=tt_cl_t9

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
RIP Major Charles Emerson Winchester III

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmcQt0fdftw

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh jeez. That's sad news to hear.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Zesty posted:

Oh jeez. That's sad news to hear.

I thought he was underrated as the dad in Better Off Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I thought he was underrated as the dad in Better Off Dead.

Better Off Dead is a fantastic movie, and he's pretty much my favorite part.

• Locked thread