Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I spent a year watching all 11 seasons. Not every episode is great, but I was amazed by it being the rare show that got consistently better as it went along. The show seemed to be at its best once Potter, BJ, and Charles were in place. One thing I love about the show is that it's plenty funny, but what's really amazing is how passionate it got about serious issues. It might be preachy, but there's something special about something coming from the heart in a sitcom.

Kazinsal posted:

Nothing yet. They'd have to rescan all the film, and it was done on 16mm. The DVD collection is from a better print transfer than the original run and post-finale syndication that they did in the 90s but that's the best we've got. :(

My viewing was all on Netflix. From what I remember, season one looked like it was in the roughest shape, but it also was trying to mimic the soft, filtered look of the 1970 film. The rest of the show looked good, though it was amusing to see the intro get progressively worse in quality. Also, two episodes seemed to be from analog masters, but I think it was only the clip show ones. Apparently, Alan Alda visited Fox's archive at some point (probably the 80s) and was shocked to find out the decaying condition of the show's negatives. He went to Fox about it and they started doing preservation to make sure the show was maintained.

I'd definitely buy a Blu-ray set, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I had already watched a few seasons of the show before seeing the movie.

I'm wondering if they went over-the-top for Frank on the show because Robert Duvall made him so creepy in the movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CBJamo posted:

I'd give my left nut for MASH to get the same blue-ray treatment that TNG got, but I doubt it'll happen.

It'll be easier to bring MASH to HD/Blu-ray since it was entirely shot and edited on film except for one or two "clip show" episodes edited on video. Considering Fox saw it fit to remaster all of a garbage show like Lost in Space in HD, it's probably only a matter of time.

Season one might be in rough condition since it's the only one that stuck out as in rough shape on Netflix, but they were also trying to mimic the heavily filtered look of the Altman film unlike later seasons.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 25, 2017

• Locked thread