Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

After The War posted:

I feel bad because they get shorter after the first few as I started to run out of time. I'll go back and expand the latter-day characters when I get a chance, especially Colonel Potter, who deserves a lot more.15

The OP's fantastic! Thanks for putting it together! I've been wondering why there hasn't been a MASH thread for a while now.

re: Potter, that dude is easily one of my favorite TV characters of all time. And, in defense of the later seasons, when Harry Morgan died, some friends and I loaded up 'Pressure Points' (S10E15) to give that a sad rewatch. Absolutely one of the stand-out moments for the character, and the actor.

A side-note about Margaret that came to mind as I read the OP is that, thanks to how long the series ran, you can really see the changing attitude towards women in general over the time period, especially in how much room they gave her to grow. I'm sure part of that is her just being a part of the cast for so long, but the ways they allowed her to grow certainly changed rather dramatically from what it was in the end vs. how it might've been if the series had started five years earlier. I will say, though, that some of the situations they throw her into in the first couple seasons are super cringey and incredibly uncomfortable. One of the few cases where, when the laugh track is added back in, it gets a lot darker and borders on downright mean-spirited. Not the intent, obviously, but wow.

I'm glad that, ultimately, they addressed it (and gave actual, human reasons for the caricature she was in the beginning), and gave her vindication in at least one similar situation, later on down the line.

EDIT: Oh. Maybe it's worth mentioning, maybe it isn't, but Hornberger was pissed as hell at the series as a whole, and he DEEPLY disliked what Alan Alda did to Hawkeye. I feel for the guy re: having sold the rights to the original book for pennies given how much it took off, but that's roughly where my sympathy ends and my sense of irony kicks in. I seem to recall him going so far as writing a novel after the show was airing, in which the 'real' Hawkeye did a bunch of fistshaking at Those drat Dirty Liberals.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread