Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Epicurius posted:

I don't know if that's fair about the book. It's not overly political and is fairly inoffensive. And the movie is basically a bunch of scenes from the book....Hawkeye getting Burns to punch him to get Burns thrown out of the unit, operating on the baby and having to blackmail the hospital colonel, the football game where they bring in a ringer.

Just to echo this, I read the novel for the first time about a year or so ago, after having watched the show since I was a kid in the late 90s (FX used to run it from 2 to 4 every weekday afternoon and that was part of my after school ritual for years) and seeing the movie a bunch of times over the years, not the mention Altman's really negative comments about the novel, and was really surprised how close the movie actually is to the book in its overall plot. As mentioned, most of the episodic moments that make up the film come directly from the book, and it doesn't feel as tonally opposite as some people (Like Altman) might imply.

It's also fairly short, my paperback copy is under 220 pages, and flows along pretty well, particularly if you've seen the movie so you'll know the bulk of the story and whatnot, so it's pretty easy to breeze through it very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread