Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

After The War posted:

Starting with season 4, episodes have a much wider range of style and format, greatly developing the characters and wrestling with larger themes. Appropriately, this period begins with “Welcome to Korea”, a double-length episode that almost serves as a second pilot.

Stevenson left at the end of season 3 with the farewell episode “Abyssinia, Henry,” very much a finale to the series’ first era.

You know, I never thought of that, but now that you've pointed it out it almost seems deliberate.

Excellent suggestion for first-timers starting with "Dear Dad" if they want to check out OG MASH (the series is COMPLETELY episodic for sure, and you'll almost never be confused by watching out of order), but also you're absolutely right that being familiar with the early Hunnicut era goes a long way toward making the Trapper eps more accessible. That's how I saw it because I was too young to be interested until after Hunnicut and Potter (and maybe Winchester) were established. Didn't get to see Trapper until it started to go into heavy syndication.

Nice of you to include Sydney and Flagg in the writeup. Every one of those eps are amongst my very favorites.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's weird seeing the guy who played Rizzo still on TV. Everybody else has retired but him, essentially (Alan Alda does occasional guest spots IIRC)

Well I'll be damned. Can barely recognize him (though I assume his voice would give it away). I think I'll have to start watching Major Crimes. Love me some mary McDonnell.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I think maybe the thread title deserves an explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Ubs8i8fJU&t=22s

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

After The War posted:

Or not, what do people think? It's from 40 years ago, but... wow.

Oh my god no absolutely do not spoil it.

Also, there is some interesting trivia about the episode and the final scene in particular, but I'll let the thread get rolling for a while before I bring it up (totally spoiler-tagged, of course).

Kazinsal posted:

Awww yeah ground floor of the M*A*S*H thread. I'm surprised we didn't have one already.

I recently started a rewatch without the laugh track. The show is a completely different animal even in the early "sitcom" seasons this way, often going from "sitcom set in a war" to "how the hell did this get aired in the 70s".

Oh yeah the difference is truly stunning. I had a hard time with it at first; it was just so weird for it to suddenly be dark as gently caress. It turns from a semi-sitcom/zany antics kinda thing into a very serious drama that has very funny characters in it. I actually think the network may have made the right choice, though. I'm not sure something like that would have gone down well with the audience of the time.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 17, 2017

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

After The War posted:

It's always easy to underestimate people from an earlier time, I think the viewers that stuck with the series past season 4 certainly wouldn't have needed the cues. Plus, it was also the great era of TV movies and miniseries, so heavier issues were approached more than you'd think - just not necessarily mixed in with the comedy. And, after all, people of the era made the show.

It's not all dark, either - I'll need to see if I can find the thing someone wrote about early Klinger scenes coming off completely different without the laugh track, where you get characters totally unfazed by gender noncomfority and no indication that the viewer should be mocking it either.

Who's going to watch the pilot tonight for the 45th Anniversary? I have too much to do, so I listened to it while cropping and resizing photos for the OP. It's interesting how much closer to movie it tries to be, with hints of the series it would become.

Interesting, I'll have to pay attention to that (the Klinger scenes). I decided to watch "Dear Dad" (I'm halfway through it right now), and I just got to the part where Klinger doesn't want to take off his "good luck bandana" and indeed, the tone is completely different. He's less "goofy guy" and more "all hosed up like everyone else in this hellhole." Where did this "thing someone wrote" come from?

I will watch the pilot next. Not sure I've seen that one without the laugh track, and it does have some truly hilarious scenes (the stovepipe incident with Henry comes immediately to mind).

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I will watch the pilot next. Not sure I've seen that one without the laugh track, and it does have some truly hilarious scenes (the stovepipe incident with Henry comes immediately to mind).
Whoops I mixed up my episodes. The stovepipe incident is in "I Hate a Mystery," which also features Ho-Jon. (Did they ignore sending him off to college in the States?) Regardless, the pilot is still plenty funny (I'm almost halfway through it), and the lack of a laugh track absolutely helps it a ton. I dunno maybe I am wrong. Maybe the early stuff was in fact funny enough to not need one, and would still have caught on before cancellation. (I don't remember... when did the ratings start to turn around, exactly?)

Chieves posted:

I think there's a third era of the show the OP is neglecting. Seasons 4-7 are some of the best "hybrid" drama/ comedy TV of all time. Radar leaving in Season 8 is definitely where the show shifts heavily to drama IMO, and the show does slowly begin losing its luster afterwards. The finale, obviously, sticks the landing perfectly though.
I'd agree with this. Pre- and post- Radar era have a much different feel. It's also when they started cutting wayyy back on the laugh track. By seasons 10 and 11 it was nearly non-existent, as I recall. I also agree it was wearing thin toward the end. Season 10 was showing signs, but season 11 absolutely had a lot of eps that I can do without (that bowling ep, oh gawd).

Cojawfee posted:

One of my favorite episodes is where that guy doesn't realize that he's dead.

Is that the one where Klinger has a bad fever and can see him?

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 18, 2017

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

After The War posted:

I actually had started a section for this but pulled it out as I approached the "deadline" of getting the thread up today While there's a definite shift, it feels more like a natural progression than the deliberate "reboot" of season 4. Plus, I don't think anyone would recommend new viewers start with that final era.

I'll get something in there later, the whole thing is still a work in progress.

Well you've done a fine job so far. I kinda wondered why you reserved the next two posts, but now I know at least one reason for it. While I'm definitely a MASH buff/aficionado, I wouldn't quite call myself an expert (case in point: my Pilot/I Hate a Mystery mix-up), but like many who I'm sure will venture in here, I am a son of a MASH-loving parent, which is only one of the (but probably the greatest) reasons it's so near and dear to my heart. Perhaps I could help you out a bit, so please feel free to PM me if you'd like some input, or brainstorming assistance or whatever. I'm tickled pink that we have this thread now, and as someone else said early on, I'm pretty surprised that we didn't already have one.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Mister Mind posted:

Also, are we not talking about Trapper John, M.D.? I myself don't have anything much to say about it, other than that for legal reasons it's officially a spinoff of the movie MASH, and not the show. Yup.

Huh. Well that explains Pernell Roberts' complete lack of resemblance to Wayne Rogers but believability as an aged Elliot Gould, which is to say it explains everything including why I could never get into it. If I had known, maybe it would have grooved with me. (Not that I didn't like the movie, but if you were expecting a spinoff of the show it really doesn't work. Well now I get it.)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

DorianGravy posted:

Also, I'm a little annoyed. This thread had made me want to watch M*A*S*H but it's not available to stream anywhere. I see news articles from two months ago saying that it's coming to Hulu soon, but only radio silence since.

It's out there, in spades. Just include "reddit" in your searches, and use the s*e* format for specific eps.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Aw, bummer man. I just remembered this thread existed and I had to go to page 2 of my bookmarks to find it. :( I was hoping for some liveposting from people watching it for the first time. I guess young goons just don't have the time or patience to appreciate a thoughtful, sanely-paced TV classic. :sigh:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

That wasn't nearly as offensive as I'd hoped it would be.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Ahh there we go.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

The gently caress? First thing that came to mind was a flashback of Hot Lips gettin down with General Whatshisname in a medical lab and knocking down a bunch of beakers or something, vs. Margaret falling hard for the Swedish guy who got his junk blown off by a landmine. How can she be blind to such huge differences?

Regarding said character growth, I'm torn on whether I like it or not. It takes away a foil for Hawk and Beej, and hell they even nearly took away Winchester as a foil too, in the last season or two. Granted, in the case of Margaret, the departure of Frank was a big factor, and choosing not to give her a new "partner in crime" was definitely a good decision.

Love the poo poo outta MASH, even the final 2 or 3 seasons, but boy did they have some flaws. A lot of those near-end episodes are frankly full of cringeworthy moments.

E: got links to any of those interviews?

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 27, 2018

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's been a while since I saw that interview, but she claims all the things she did were all part of the same character.

Huh. Well, if that's how it was for her, who am I to argue?

quote:

Also, the she was married to the the actor who played the Swedish officer.

Oh, wow. That sure sheds light on the very believable chemistry... it wasn't fiction!

fake edit: Holy loving poo poo, his last name was Holahan!:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0638469/characters/nm0389971?ref_=tt_cl_t9

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Aw man what a drag. He was easily the best new cast member, no disrespect to Harry Morgan.

On a selfish note, the celebrity deaths of this decade are becoming alarming. He had to be younger when I started watching MASH than I am now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

E: nvm dumb post.

RIP, Charles. Hope they have all the opera records you could want.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 4, 2018

• Locked thread