Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
MASH is in my top 10 of all time. Great show, and anytime it is on I can't stop watching (despite seeing every episode many times). Back in the early 90's I use to watch 2 episodes of MASH between 6-7pm and Star Trek Next Generation at 7pm every weekday.

I also loved how Nurse Kelley was always in the background for years, but they finally gave her own episode (well sort of) in season 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I watched the WALTER pilot about Radar where he becomes a cop. It didn't get picked up

I actually watched the MASH finale when it originally aired (I'm 45 as of last month), but I never knew about this pilot until now (I knew about Trapper John MD and AfterMash). I thought Gary was sick of playing Radar. Also I just learned that Radar's final appearance was also Staff Sergeant Zale's final appearance.

I just read this about Burghoff on his Wiki

Don't believe everything you read, but this sounds right posted:

Covering the conclusion of M*A*S*H for TV Guide in 1983, Burt Prelutsky wrote, "Although nobody wanted to be quoted for the record, the feelings about Gary Burghoff's leaving were fairly unanimous: loved Radar, hated Burghoff. As summed up by one of the principals: 'Gary had personality problems. He always felt there was a conspiracy against him. He was rude to everyone, but if anyone ever said anything back to him, he'd throw a tantrum. He had frequent spats with his cast members, particularly with Alan Alda. Once Mike Farrell told him that his problem was that he could dish it out but he couldn't take it, and Gary said, "And I'm getting real sick and tired of dishing it out." The poor guy didn't even realize what he'd said.'"

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

Talking of Alan Alda, he's loving phenomenal in Horace and Pete (which also stars Steve Buscemi and Louis CK, and is on Hulu)

He's also a cool guy

I got to see Alan Alda speak last year at the University of Tennessee. He was giving lectures about communication and science (how to get the masses to understand and care about science), and at 80 years old he seems to be doing great. He will always be one of my favorites.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 21, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Epicurius posted:

In terms of minor characters who don't get as much love as they should, I've always had a soft spot for Nurse Kellye.

Agreed, see my post in on page 1.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834562&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post476511328

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
[quote="“precision”" post="“476620143”"]
Hey, me too! I don’t get back to knoxville much these days but I lived there for almost 15 years. Longbranch used to be my favorite bar in the world
[/quote]

I just looked to see who speaking this year (Bill Nye was the year before that), and it looks like they don't announce it until early October. I moved to Knoxville from Johnson City back in 2004, and I have never been to the Longbranch (I hang out mostly at Pres Pub and Barleys). I heard from some of friends some complaints about the new ownership and paying bands.

Luigi Thirty posted:

The novel is a pro-Vietnam pile of trash. The movie turned it into an episodic subversive anti-war film and it's a landmark of New Hollywood. And yeah, Elliott Gould.

Because of this thread I ordered the novel. I feel like I have to read it. The movie was great. Man I really miss Robert Altman movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

I was born in Piney Flats, left as a kid, came back and lived in Johnson City between 95 and 98. Ever hang out at Whittles or New Beginnings? This is gonna be one of those weird deals where we used to know each other but both never knew the other was a goon!

I grew up in Jonesborough, left for the Marines in 91, came back to JC (Boone's Creek area) in 95, and left after graduating ETSU in 04. Whittles is a no, but New Beginnings a handful of times. Most of the people I know during that time worked at SPS which became Citibank (the big call center in Gray). Call centers are the reason I went to college. I had to get the gently caress out of that life.

Edit: To keep it MASH related in the Marines I always tried to use Hawkeye as an influence, because it was so loving absurd.

[quote="“Cojawfee”" post="“476633318”"]
Well yeah, he would get paid royalties every time the TV show airs. Whereas I don’t know who is going to be running the MASH movie.
[/quote]

It use to show up on TBS a lot back in the day. Last time I saw it was steaming on Netflix or Prime?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 22, 2017

• Locked thread