Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I like how the creators and writers made sure that they always replaced a main character with their polar opposites. Non-military Henry with Potter. Womanizing married Trapper with BJ. Fanatical Frank with Winchester (although he was self-righteous in his own way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Kazinsal posted:

Nothing yet. They'd have to rescan all the film, and it was done on 16mm. The DVD collection is from a better print transfer than the original run and post-finale syndication that they did in the 90s but that's the best we've got. :(

I recorded the show off local TV in the 80s and the picture was severely washed-out (and heavily edited). The DVDs were fantastic by comparison.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Popo posted:

For early MASH I can't not love '5 o'clock Charlie'

I loved the bits where they kept substituting Frank's gun for various objects.

The letters episodes were great. It was like watching a mini-sketch show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Is that the one where Klinger has a bad fever and can see him?

Yeah, he's talking to the guy and the staff thinks he's talking to himself.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Egbert Souse posted:

My viewing was all on Netflix. From what I remember, season one looked like it was in the roughest shape, but it also was trying to mimic the soft, filtered look of the 1970 film. The rest of the show looked good, though it was amusing to see the intro get progressively worse in quality. Also, two episodes seemed to be from analog masters, but I think it was only the clip show ones. Apparently, Alan Alda visited Fox's archive at some point (probably the 80s) and was shocked to find out the decaying condition of the show's negatives. He went to Fox about it and they started doing preservation to make sure the show was maintained.

I'd definitely buy a Blu-ray set, though.

I believe the interview episode was pulled from a syndicated master since the original was trashed.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I freaked out seeing Andrew Dice Clay as a soldier in a later episode.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Luigi Thirty posted:

A really young Lawrence Fishburne plays a wounded soldier in one of the later seasons too.

Also, Patrick Swayze and Ron Howard.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Party Plane Jones posted:

The movie rightly was moved away from by the series. Spearchucker Jones (now there's a blatantly racist name, christ) was also in the movie and dropped from the show in the first season.

He supposedly got the nickname since he threw the javelin in college. He was removed since they said there no black surgeons in MASH units. However, it seems there was one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
A couple of Frank moments that stand out: one ep had Hawkeye torturing himself over a patient that kept getting worse after an intense surgery. When Margaret suggested that he may have missed something, he goes back in and did indeed find a piece of shrapnel. Frank sincerely commented that anyone could have missed it.

Another one was after Margaret got engaged and would not shut up about Donald. At the end, the officers were having coffee and Frank asked Hawkeye if he wanted to get a couple of nurses and go over to Rosie's. When Margaret suggested that Frank's choice might be a little too young, he said, "Oh, I don't know. I thought a little youth might be nice for a change."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ein cooler Typ posted:

of the late season dramatic episodes I like the one where it's in real time 22 minute episode and they have to save this guy but they're waiting for the other guy to die so they can harvest his aorta

"What took so long?"

"The guy it was attached to was still using it."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Epicurius posted:

The only piece of trivia I really know about MASH was that Hawkeye was married in the book, but Standards and Practices made them make him single on the tv show so he could fool around with nurses without being an adulterer.

Why just him? Trapper, Henry, and Frank screwed around.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

nate fisher posted:

Because of this thread I ordered the novel. I feel like I have to read it. The movie was great. Man I really miss Robert Altman movies.

Interesting trivia about the movie: Altman said he mad $70,000 directing it, but his 14-year-old son made over a million writing "Suicide is Painless".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The creators made a point of saying that the fate of the characters was due to the fact that war changes people:

Henry - dead
Trapper - doesn't seem to have changed since we didn't actually see him leave
Frank - went crazy and got promoted to Lt. Colonel
Radar - matured quite a bit especially after being injured
Hawkeye - went nuts, but got better
BJ - cheated on his wife
Charles - had his love of music ruined
Mulcahy - went deaf (but would be cured in AfterMASH)
Klinger - stayed in Korea despite spending all that time trying to get out
Margaret - married and divorced
Potter - didn't really change too much except maybe learning to lighten up a bit after dealing with the MASH personnel

e: spoilered by request.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 22, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Egbert Souse posted:

I had already watched a few seasons of the show before seeing the movie.

I'm wondering if they went over-the-top for Frank on the show because Robert Duvall made him so creepy in the movie.

He was an easy target to make into a buffoon.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ein cooler Typ posted:

before I ever watched MASH I knew what happened to Henry and had seen that scene parodied on Family Guy and heard it referenced so many times it was just a meme to me

so when I finally did watch the series I didn't really get the full effect they intended. I read somewhere that none of the actors knew what was gonna happen but I've also read conflicting stories so who the heck knows

Larry Gelbart sets the record straight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3Rh2EkQWhw

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Hasselblad posted:

Wife and I are sick as dogs. She's watching a station that marathons MASH eps every day, and drat it is jarring as they play them in no particular order and the characters like Hot Lips are so different over the span of the series.

I've seen interviews with Loretta Swit who swears her character did not change that much.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The gently caress? First thing that came to mind was a flashback of Hot Lips gettin down with General Whatshisname in a medical lab and knocking down a bunch of beakers or something, vs. Margaret falling hard for the Swedish guy who got his junk blown off by a landmine. How can she be blind to such huge differences?

Regarding said character growth, I'm torn on whether I like it or not. It takes away a foil for Hawk and Beej, and hell they even nearly took away Winchester as a foil too, in the last season or two. Granted, in the case of Margaret, the departure of Frank was a big factor, and choosing not to give her a new "partner in crime" was definitely a good decision.

Love the poo poo outta MASH, even the final 2 or 3 seasons, but boy did they have some flaws. A lot of those near-end episodes are frankly full of cringeworthy moments.

E: got links to any of those interviews?

It's been a while since I saw that interview, but she claims all the things she did were all part of the same character. In the early eps, she seemed to be unable to live without Frank, but later became a strong independent woman. It's odd that she would criticize the other officers for their womanizing while having an affair with a married man.

Also, the she was married to the the actor who played the Swedish officer.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
RIP Major Charles Emerson Winchester III

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Zesty posted:

Oh jeez. That's sad news to hear.

I thought he was underrated as the dad in Better Off Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Aw man what a drag. He was easily the best new cast member, no disrespect to Harry Morgan.

On a selfish note, the celebrity deaths of this decade are becoming alarming. He had to be younger when I started watching MASH than I am now.

He was 35 when he joined the show.

• Locked thread