Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Thanks for this. I love this show and I would stay up late every night to watch this when I was a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's weird seeing the guy who played Rizzo still on TV. Everybody else has retired but him, essentially (Alan Alda does occasional guest spots IIRC)

Does he drive a veeeee-hickle?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

You know, I never thought of that, but now that you've pointed it out it almost seems deliberate.

Excellent suggestion for first-timers starting with "Dear Dad" if they want to check out OG MASH (the series is COMPLETELY episodic for sure, and you'll almost never be confused by watching out of order), but also you're absolutely right that being familiar with the early Hunnicut era goes a long way toward making the Trapper eps more accessible. That's how I saw it because I was too young to be interested until after Hunnicut and Potter (and maybe Winchester) were established. Didn't get to see Trapper until it started to go into heavy syndication.

Nice of you to include Sydney and Flagg in the writeup. Every one of those eps are amongst my very favorites.

I wasn't born until long after this show ended, so I only ever saw it in syndication either in the afternoon or at midnight. I think they mostly syndicated the later, season 4 and on, episodes. I knew BJ, and Winchester, and potter. I never saw much of Col Blake or Trapper aside from a few episodes. I don't think they played much of the first season at all, because I didn't even know Spearchucker existed until I watched all the episodes in order (without the laugh track).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did MASH ever get a higher resolution release? I assume, being from the 70s, it would have been recorded on film, so hopefully it could be released in HD.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
One of my favorite episodes is where that guy doesn't realize that he's dead.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I remember there being some Michael J Fox movie where he gets in trouble in a small town and they make him be a Doctor to pay off whatever, and Winchester plays the mayor or something. Nothing super crazy about it I guess, but it was a weird coincidence that I was going through MASH and happened to check out part of that movie on cable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hope they have an audio channel with no laugh track.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Interesting trivia about the movie: Altman said he mad $70,000 directing it, but his 14-year-old son made over a million writing "Suicide is Painless".

Well yeah, he would get paid royalties every time the TV show airs. Whereas I don't know who is going to be running the MASH movie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's not difficult. Gnostic and theist are on separate axes. You can be an agnostic or gnostic atheist, or you can be an agnostic or gnostic theist. One axis is you know or dont know. The other one is there is or isn't a god.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think Potter's arc is similar to Patrick Stewart in Star Trek. He went into that show as an uptight British actor from the Royal Shakespeare Company or whichever one it was. So he was always serious and got pissed off because all the other actors were goofing off and having fun. Eventually, he learned how to lighten up and have fun while still working. Though, apparently Patrick Stewart became the worst of anyone for goofing off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think she cooled down once Frank left and she was no longer teaming up with him to ruin fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They would be stupid to not scan MASH for Bluray. I'm surprised they haven't considering shows from the 50s and 60s shot in film have been running in HD on those nostalgia channels for years now.

• Locked thread