Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bernie _______
This poll is closed.
would've won! 87 34.52%
has won! 45 17.86%
will win! 56 22.22%
is winning! 64 25.40%
Total: 124 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

yronic heroism posted:

Nah they failed bigly. I can walk and chew gum at the same time. It's too bad this thread focuses so much on psychoanalyzing other goons and posting stupid poo poo about how Democrats in the Senate should have booed McCain or whatever (thus ensuring that there would not be 51 no votes to ACA repeal, but I guess it's too much to ask that we acknowledge cause and effect anymore).

Yeah that's nice. Remember when you were desperately trying to underplay Corbyn's gains last thread?:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

I'm glad the Democratic Party has actual vision for public high-speed internet instead of more cynical garbage that toes the same line for Comcast they've been treading for years. It's thrilling to see them genuinely looking out for people instead of using superficially new deal rhetoric to mask the same approach they take with tax credits and simply throw money at ISPs with the expectation that they'll do anything other than act like complete loving assholes.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's odd to see leftists masturbate over the supposed victory of "absolute boy" Corbyn when Labour is not in power and the party is deliberately keeping mum over Brexit because Corbyn actually is for exiting the EU.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Whats wrong with exiting the EU?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

shrike82 posted:

It's odd to see leftists masturbate over the supposed victory of "absolute boy" Corbyn when Labour is not in power and the party is deliberately keeping mum over Brexit because Corbyn actually is for exiting the EU.

he's the absolute boy, killed the conservative majority, and surpassed all expectations. if elections were held today labour would win

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm personally against destroying a country's economy to keep out illegals but who am I to argue with leftists

THS
Sep 15, 2017

corbyn campaigned to stay in the EU but ok whatever man

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

308,000 DEMOCRATS- more then 3 times Nader's total voters - voted for Bush. What the gently caress is wrong with you people?

https://www.salon.com/2000/11/28/hightower/

Hmm yes if only other Democrats had said Bush is bad some old racist white people would have decided to believe that instead of What they decided, which was Bush was okay.

Also Gore campaigned really hard against Bush's tax cuts to the 1%, as those of you who were politically conscious at the time (i am guessing not many) will recall.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

308,000 DEMOCRATS- more then 3 times Nader's total voters - voted for Bush. What the gently caress is wrong with you people?

https://www.salon.com/2000/11/28/hightower/

Most of those people were old white conservative Democrats who think Wallace did nothing wrong. Why do you think we should chase after them?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Yandat posted:

he's the absolute boy, killed the conservative majority, and surpassed all expectations. if elections were held today labour would win

Elections aren't being held today so that is a meaningless metric.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

karthun posted:

Most of those people were old white conservative Democrats who think Wallace did nothing wrong. Why do you think we should chase after them?

Because if you pander to your own base, "one person is one vote".

BUUUT

If you swing a moderate Republican, the GOP loses a vote, and you gain one simultaneously; that's like, TWO VOTES PER PERSON!!1! :v:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

So Democrats just neglected to point out that Gore was to the left of Bush, right? And those 300,000 became confused?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yronic heroism posted:

Elections aren't being held today so that is a meaningless metric.

god you really are a piece of poo poo aren't you

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

yronic heroism posted:

So Democrats just neglected to point out that Gore was to the left of Bush, right? And those 300,000 became confused?

No, Al Gore was well to the left of Bush, those Democratic voters were far to the right of Bush. They were southern white supremacists who supported Jim Crow. They would have proudly voted for trump. And Heaps of Sheeps thinks we need to bring them back into the Democratic tent; gently caress that ,gently caress them and gently caress him.

Here is a bunch of Democrats that Heaps of Sheeps wants to chase after.

karthun fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 29, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

karthun posted:

What? Yeah, we all agree that chasing after conservative Democrats that support Republican policies would have been stupid, the flip side of that is that Democrats are stupid for not chasing after Nader voters. If you want to be the party of protecting the rich and the status quo, you can't act surprised when some people don't like that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

shrike82 posted:

I'm personally against destroying a country's economy to keep out illegals but who am I to argue with leftists

If you're going to troll, at least get the most basic of your facts straight.:nallears: Disgusting!

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Yandat posted:

Nice meltdown

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Yandat posted:

No but if you resort to an ad hominem that quick, I guess you probably are.

It's like saying X Centrist Democrat would beat Trump today. It's a totally pointless exercise and anyone in this thread would call that out.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

karthun posted:

No, Al Gore was well to the left of Bush, those Democratic voters were far to the right of Bush. They were southern white supremacists who supported Jim Crow. They would have proudly voted for trump. And Heaps of Sheeps thinks we need to bring them back into the Democratic tent; gently caress that ,gently caress them and gently caress him.

Nobody in this thread is making that argument, they're only being brought up as a counter to the narrative about how third party voters are at fault for democrat losses. After all, how can you attack third party voters when your own party members are voting directly against you? It wasn't meant to be a discussion about who's votes to chase but an argument about why attacking third party voters specifically doesn't make much sense.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yronic heroism posted:

No but if you resort to an ad hominem that quick, I guess you probably are.

It's like saying X Centrist Democrat would beat Trump today. It's a totally pointless exercise and anyone in this thread would call that out.

lol did you really just complain about an ad hom. shut up you dead inside centrist dork

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lol effectronica is that you?

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Is brexit really something that the left is going to own? I mean yeah the EU is full of neoliberals and imperialists but there can't really be anyone who believes that Britain, free of the yoke of its continental masters, will finally go full communist??

THS
Sep 15, 2017

who's owning brexit as 'left' other than torpor?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

gowb posted:

Is brexit really something that the left is going to own? I mean yeah the EU is full of neoliberals and imperialists but there can't really be anyone who believes that Britain, free of the yoke of its continental masters, will finally go full communist??

No.

The fact that Corbyn campaigned on staying in the EU is proof of this.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

Nobody in this thread is making that argument, they're only being brought up as a counter to the narrative about how third party voters are at fault for democrat losses. After all, how can you attack third party voters when your own party members are voting directly against you? It wasn't meant to be a discussion about who's votes to chase but an argument about why attacking third party voters specifically doesn't make much sense.

Indeed I would never want a candidate to attack third party voters. It is up to the fellow voters to remind any rational person considering a Stein vote "don't be that guy" and point to an anti-vaxxer.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Majorian posted:

No.

The fact that Corbyn campaigned on staying in the EU is proof of this.

Regardless of what he campaigned on, last I heard Corbs was all about leaving the EU.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

anyway the cause of brexit was austerity loving up the UK, because when things go to poo poo and there's no positive left alternative people tend to get attracted towards reactionary poo poo because it offers answers

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

gowb posted:

I mean yeah the EU is full of neoliberals and imperialists

Isn't that enough of a reason? I mean the working folk are not exactly the target beneficiaries of the EU.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

and yeah it matters who has momentum and what polling is now, how elections have gone since. it's not in some contextless void that people like what labour is saying against the evil tory status quo

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brexit has nothing to do with "the left". The referendum was inaugurated by a Conservative government who thought Remain would win and therefore foolishly promised that the government would treat the referendum as the will of the British people and pledged to carry it out whatever the outcome. And then the Brexiteers bamboozled the people with a bunch of dumb lies.

Blaming the Parliamentary minority for not casting some meaningless symbolic vote to try to subvert democracy is fuckin dumb. If you're mad about Brexit, be mad at the people who caused the whole mess.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Torpor posted:

Isn't that enough of a reason? I mean the working folk are not exactly the target beneficiaries of the EU.

One of the appeals of leftism, for me, is the concept of labor being able to move as freely as capital. That's why the EU seems to be a natural fit for the left, despite the people at the top.

VitalSigns posted:

Brexit has nothing to do with "the left". The referendum was inaugurated by a Conservative government who thought Remain would win and therefore foolishly promised that the government would treat the referendum as the will of the British people and pledged to carry it out whatever the outcome. And then the Brexiteers bamboozled the people with a bunch of dumb lies.

Blaming the Parliamentary minority for not casting some meaningless symbolic vote to try to subvert democracy is fuckin dumb. If you're mad about Brexit, be mad at the people who caused the whole mess.

Nobody is blaming the left for it! Just that Corbyn has pulled a bit of a 360 on it, and some guy was championing it in here from the leftist perspective.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

karthun posted:

Yeah, no kidding he was obviously to the left of Bush. Of course MF read a book about our silly Yank politic mans so he doesn't actually need to understand the historical context of party ID vs actual voting habits in the South.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 29, 2017

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

karthun posted:

It's pretty adorable that you think the Democratic Party doesn't already represent the interests of these people.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

gowb posted:

Nobody is blaming the left for it! Just that Corbyn has pulled a bit of a 360 on it, and some guy was championing it in here from the leftist perspective.

So Corbyn has been consistent on it and that's bad?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

It's pretty adorable that you think the Democratic Party doesn't already represent the interests of these people.

So your gimmick is that both sides are just as bad?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

So Corbyn has been consistent on it and that's bad?

lol

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

DeadlyMuffin posted:

So your gimmick is that both sides are just as bad?

No, of course not, if by both sides you mean "the ruling class" and "everyone else".

As in, when it comes to the racist old white people in that picture, the Democrats and GOP are definitely on the "same side".

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

gowb posted:

Nobody is blaming the left for it! Just that Corbyn has pulled a bit of a 360 on it

So he never changed his position after all, huh?

edit never wait. post as fast as possible, every time

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

I guess that Obama being the result of race mixing IS the embodiment of communism then, Heaps of Sheeps says so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
A lot of the exit poll and beyond studies showed that the people who voted Green party didn't show a strong preference for Gore over Bush. The people who vote for the Green party were not and are not people expecting the Green party to win, they're the kind of people who deliberately did not vote Democrat and often would stay home or vote for a different third party. I don't think there's much point in blaming either Nader for running or the Green party for existing since they just fill a pretty specific demand for a third party 'protest' vote and would be instantly replaced if absent.

I also don't know that Florida voters regretted their decision. They ended up voting Bush in fairly convincingly in 2004, swinging by a much bigger margin than the rest of the country and that was with the Green party vote collapsing.

• Locked thread