Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

HootTheOwl posted:

Shotspotter is just some makebelieve right? It doesn't work?
Or rather it has a false positive rate so high that it doesn't matter that it found all the needles by delivering infinity hay?

Pretty much, yeah. Was involved in some 3rd party evaluation of a few different shot detection systems for some critical infrastructure sites several years ago. Shot Spotter was out early in the first round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://x.com/WGNNews/status/1757807063168692298

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Slavery is back baby! (It never left).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Absolutely checks out for Highland Park. One of the most racist places I've ever been.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
She's Latina

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Niwrad posted:

Absolutely checks out for Highland Park. One of the most racist places I've ever been.

Elaborate on this please.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

jbusbysack posted:

Elaborate on this please.

I grew up sort of near there. They had a huge racial profiling issue back in the 80's and 90's. It was pretty much illegal to drive through the town if you were black. ACLU sued them and reached an agreement about 20 years ago.

There's been a bunch of other issues too. They're notorious for not hiring minorities in government jobs. Minority students claim racism is rampant. The town had a loving meltdown over a march for George Floyd years ago. The mass shooter and his father were massive racists.

I don't know much about the new story, but it's a rich, snobby town, and using slave labor seems par for the course from what I've seen of Highland Park residents.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They let Jews in, the wealthy ones and then said "we're full" and became a sundown town

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

When we played them in football their student section waved white trash bags at us I guess because we were from a poorer suburb. It was sort of their calling card.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Jesus, and I thought you were mixing it up with Lake Forest or Winnetka.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

They let Jews in, the wealthy ones and then said "we're full" and became a sundown town

Ah so that's why they have a Sundown foods there? :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Ah so that's why they have a Sundown foods there? :v:

A warning, that the prices are so low they'll never be in the black!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
For everyone who left Twitter, CapitolFax is posting on Bluesky now.

And LOL that Trump endorsed Darren Bailey's establishment opponent.

https://capitolfax.com/2024/02/20/in-huge-blow-to-bailey-trump-endorses-mike-bost/

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Bailey will have more time to do his puzzles and wait for JB to steal his guns

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Trump doesn’t trust farmers?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

KDdidit posted:

Trump doesn’t trust farmers?

They don’t work hard, not like him. :smugdon:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Now, do not count out Bailey! He has been endorsed by accused sex trafficker and guy who has sex with teenage girls, Matt Gaetz, and the My Pillow Guy, who is currently being sued into a debtor’s prison world while also possibly getting back on the nose candy.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
To see Bailey lose in the end from a lack of Trump endorsement would be a great lol by itself.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
The leopard giveth and the leopard eateth the face away

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/AmandaVinicky/status/1760376843499094411

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

He got in a dig at Newsom too when he mentioned that IL’s budget is balanced unlike California’s who’s gone like 90 billion in the red.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I hope the budget is actually balanced and not playing games with the numbers. Sounds like there’s real effort to get the pensions fully funded, which is more than most governors have done.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I happened to be listening to that part of his speech live, and man, was it good. In any other election cycle (and a bit earlier) I'd swear it was a stump speech for a presidential campaign. Assuming that we have elections in 2028, I think he's going to be formidable.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sarcastro posted:

I happened to be listening to that part of his speech live, and man, was it good. In any other election cycle (and a bit earlier) I'd swear it was a stump speech for a presidential campaign. Assuming that we have elections in 2028, I think he's going to be formidable.

Agreed. He’s absolutely running.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/jthector/status/1761199236635320815

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Good. Now disbar the fucker.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Oracle posted:

Good. Now disbar the fucker.

Rich at CapFax has an even more brutal idea:
https://capitolfax.com/2024/02/26/should-ag-raoul-try-to-yank-this-guys-pension/

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

I like that looking at the comments you can note to the minute when the chuds found it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah that’d do it. Probably save the state 100 thou + a year too.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Sarcastro posted:

I like that looking at the comments you can note to the minute when the chuds found it.

capfax comments are fun because it's 60% anonymized statehouse lobbyists/electeds/staffers using their own holdover web1.0 discussion platform and 40% traffic from folks following a specific story/issue that were re-routed to the site.

Oracle posted:

Yeah that’d do it. Probably save the state 100 thou + a year too.

He made over 200k last year, so that's a very safe bet.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Any guides for the will county judges?

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

brugroffil posted:

I don't think there's really much of a progressive legal organization in the state outside of Cook to grade judicial candidates. The state's attorney there was one of the more vocal opponents of the SAFE-T act, so maybe just find out who he endorsed and vote against them.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

brugroffil posted:

https://www.isba.org/judicial-elections/counties/will although that might not be leftist enough for some posters.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I know I've asked this before and pretty sure I know the answer, but can I skip races on the ballot? I refuse to vote for Biden and don't see a point in voting for the delegates that are all Biden.

Maybe I'll just vote for the Frankie Lozada guy who has 171 followers on Twitter. Seems like the only Dem running that isn't pro-genocide.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yes, you can skip races and they’ll just count the ones you do vote in.

If you’re voting in person, the machine should signal that you forgot to vote in a race and the election judge will ask you if you want your ballot to be accepted anyway, and you can just say yes and they’ll process the ballot.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
They should spoil your ballot if you skip a race to encourage more joke write-in candidacies.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What is everyone doing who wants to not vote for Biden? I saw some Muslim organizations saying to just not vote at all in the race, although I don't know if that helps. Saw some saying to write-in Gaza but I don't know how good our write-in stuff is.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
My understanding is that writing in something other than a registered write-in candidate turns your ballot into a Provisional Ballot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

What is everyone doing who wants to not vote for Biden? I saw some Muslim organizations saying to just not vote at all in the race, although I don't know if that helps. Saw some saying to write-in Gaza but I don't know how good our write-in stuff is.

I just plan to Leave it blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Just repeating what I saw someone post, so not an expert, but I read that write ins still need to be registered with Illinois so writing "Free Palestine" or whatever goes nowhere. I'm just leaving it blank.