Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Trevor Hale posted:

I legit love the Lincoln Library.

the lincoln library genuinely owns, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Starved Rock is cool- go down there once a couple times a year at least.

Unfortunately it's the closest hiking location to Chicagoland, and in the summer it attracts some pretty unbearable crowds.

It's amazing in the winter though, too bad it doesn't seem to freeze like it used to.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Starved Rock is cool- go down there once a couple times a year at least.
Starved Rock is more west than south. Also nothing will make you hate Chicagoans faster than seeing them at Starved Rock/Mattheisen ignoring all the posted signs and letting their toddlers play in giardia-contaminated waters, littering everywhere, talking loudly on cel phones and harassing the local wildlife/picking protected flowers all while bitching about how shoddy everything looks.

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately it's the closest hiking location to Chicagoland, and in the summer it attracts some pretty unbearable crowds.
Also this. They actually had to close both parks Memorial Day weekend cuz they were at capacity. STATE PARKS AT CAPACITY. Try to visualize the numbers of people necessary to make that happen.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Coworker was sounding off about school vouchers being cool and good today despite not actually knowing anything about them or how the tax deductions for private scholarships work (which is how he got onto vouchers). Then I realized I'm not clear on how it works or what the new school funding formula is. Where can I find what Illinois' new school funding formula is? Google is not helping.

I don't even know if schools here get funded based on enrollment or something else.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The massive surge of traffic is also fun to deal with.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

xzzy posted:

There's Rock Cut just north of Rockford; no where near as large, but those trails go on for a good long while. It is, sadly, surrounded by frequently-traveled roads on nearly all sides, so it's hard to totally escape civilization (though that be a net benefit for Chicago assholes).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Oracle posted:

Starved Rock is more west than south.
It's neither? It's north-central, smack in the middle between Quad Cities-Chicago and Rockford-Bloomington. It's only "west" relative to Chicago, and South relative to ... well, techncially it's south of I-80 by a mile or two, I guess? It's not even as far south as Kankakee.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
I'll never regret moving away from Illinois, except every time I crave some horseshoes and remember it's not a thing in other states :(

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Carry a sheet of paper with the calories in a horseshoe and feel better about it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

It's neither? It's north-central, smack in the middle between Quad Cities-Chicago and Rockford-Bloomington. It's only "west" relative to Chicago, and South relative to ... well, techncially it's south of I-80 by a mile or two, I guess? It's not even as far south as Kankakee.

Relative to Chicago is the only relation that matters in Illinois, friend, have you not been reading the thread?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Carlton Banks posted:

I'll never regret moving away from Illinois, except every time I crave some horseshoes and remember it's not a thing in other states :(
Ask for a cheeseburger and fries and tell them to gently caress it up.

"Horseshoe" is a bullshit poor excuse for local cuisine.

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

dwarf74 posted:

"Horseshoe" is a bullshit poor excuse for local cuisine.

You hold your tongue.

You don't know what you've got until you have to move, and then try explaining it to someone in Texas and they just shrug and say they can't do that, especially with toast, that's just for breakfast. I just want a drat horseshoe from a restaurant. :(

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
look how many motherfucking carbs can you load onto this plate and cover in cheese and meat for me.

(I am not a big fan of horseshoes, and was confused when my girl had me try one since I hadn't after living down here for a year or so)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dexo posted:

look how many motherfucking carbs can you load onto this plate and cover in cheese and meat for me.

(I am not a big fan of horseshoes, and was confused when my girl had me try one since I hadn't after living down here for a year or so)
I've lived here 20 years and have had two, including from some place in Peoria that was supposed to be great at them.

I think one a decade is plenty.

gently caress that noise.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
I was born and raised 30 minutes from Effingham towards Indiana. A local guy just announced a run for State Representative complaining about the increased income taxes. He's running as a Democrat.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

xzzy posted:

Garden of the Gods is quite nice!

Struggling to come up with anything else worth visiting down that way though.

there's a ton of really cool stuff down there, i did a big solo trip there years ago. giant city, fern clyffe, little grand canyon, garden of the gods, its all good

also there's some good paddling right by starved rock if you're in that area at any point, wildcat rapids is actually a legit very short rapid with a good drop that i failed to run in an open canoe w/ my dad despite thinking we could do it

finally, the reason half of chicago goes to michigan for vacations is that 90% of chicagoans are actually from michigan

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

Also this. They actually had to close both parks Memorial Day weekend cuz they were at capacity. STATE PARKS AT CAPACITY. Try to visualize the numbers of people necessary to make that happen.

Oh god yeah. I should've gone to Kettle Morraine instead on Memorial Day. I'm like 20 minutes south of the WI border.

Got in on one of the trailheads waaaay at the west end of the trail on MD down there and it was loving nuts

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Big Black Dick posted:

Honestly, we don't think about it much. gently caress off to Iowa already.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Dexo posted:

Come to Springfield, we have all the Abe Lincoln stuff you could ever want to see.

Flw Dana House is cool if you like architecture

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hang all aldermen

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Are there any progressives actually running for Attorney General? I see all these skeazy guys being mentioned, but no progressives.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Has anyone even officially thrown their hat in the ring? I thought it was all just speculation now anyway.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bird in a Blender posted:

Has anyone even officially thrown their hat in the ring? I thought it was all just speculation now anyway.

Drury.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

The X-man cometh posted:

Are there any progressives actually running for Attorney General? I see all these skeazy guys being mentioned, but no progressives.

Kwame Raoul announced today; he's pretty progressive.

It's pretty shocking to see how badly the IL Democratic Party hosed this up. None of the Democrats have the money and/or campaign infrastructure to run a statewide campaign for AG. At least Erika Harold has the endless moneypit/media machine backed by Rauner, Uihlein, and Griffin. Hell, it'll be a scramble just to make sure they can get the petitions to get on the ballot. That's why the AG's race is particularly susceptible to deep-pocketed, machine-backed skeezers. Hell, that's why Ed Burke wanted his daughter to run. She'd probably win!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

no mention of how Daniel Biss looked like the new progressive hero for about 48 hours until the Israel lobby tapped him on the shoulder?

also, this thread needs more discussion of where the dividing line is for whether people support the Cards/Blues or the Cubs/Hawks. (personally I'd argue it's slipping downwards, used to be around Peoria but since the Rivs moved and the Hawks got good it's now more towards Springfield. and even then the hockey team in Springy is trying to rebrand from "Jr. Blues" to avoid offending Hawks fans.)

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I've always seen Raoul work with the establishment, never the progressive Bloc.

Don't count the Democrats out on any statewide race. Susana Mendoza had no money and Kirk outspent Duckworth and they both won big.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Heath posted:

Why does that last map place Peoria outside of Peoria county? Like East Peoria, which is in fact not in Peoria county

That isn't the edge of the county, it's just really hard to see on the map. The poor parts of Peoria are gerrymandered into the democratic 17th district, and the rich parts are gerrymandered into the Republican 18th.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Was I supposed to mention non-Chicago places to visit?

Cahokia Mounds is the only UNESCO World Heritage site in the Midwest, so suck on that other great prairie states. Cahokia was the center of Mississippian culture for about 500 years.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DalaranJ posted:

Was I supposed to mention non-Chicago places to visit?

Cahokia Mounds is the only UNESCO World Heritage site in the Midwest, so suck on that other great prairie states. Cahokia was the center of Mississippian culture for about 500 years.

Did they dig up a bunch of graves so that white people could come look at native bones like Dickson mounds did?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

They built a highway through the middle of it.

Definitely worth a stop

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
[quote="“vyelkin”" post="“476546581”"]
lol I don’t even live in Chicago so I guess that makes me the dumb one in this scenario?
[/quote]

Everyone who doesn't actually live in Chicago is dumb.

I'm sorry :shobon:

I'm also married to a CPS teacher and I will never leave, running away to the suburbs or whatever (and saying they're from Chicago) is what lovely white people do, and I try not to be lovely.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's impossible. Everyone who lives in Illinois is dumb and last I checked Chicago is still part of Illinois.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Galena is nice if you're a married 40 something looking for a romantic weekend.

Or a big nerd who wants to see the Ulysses S Grant museum, which is pretty nice.

Here's Raoul's official announcement:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155193561772408&id=152359934814831

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.
Scott Drury is my rep and I had no idea he had been running for governor until I read the OP. He just announced he's running for AG instead. Probably an easier target.

I guess he's hoping his one claim to fame (voting against Madigan for leadership) will be enough to get downstate votes.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Come to Peoria, we have... had... Caterpillar.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

reitetsu fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 25, 2020

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Parasol Prophet posted:

Come to Peoria, we have... had... Caterpillar.

Come visit the historic CAT Visitor Center. By historic, I mean not being used anymore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a Caterpillar plant in Aurora over by Oswego, you don't gotta go all the way to Peoria.

Though I think they're shutting that one down too.

But hey as long as you're out there you can go to the Air Classics Museum.. with approximately 10 planes total!

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.764...!7i13312!8i6656

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
The Aurora plant is shutting down and moving some of the jobs down to Decatur. Which should counter some of the ADM jobs being moved out maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

DalaranJ posted:

Come visit the historic CAT Visitor Center. By historic, I mean not being used anymore.

Don't worry, there's probably a CAT exhibit of some kind being run at the actual museum next door.

Just make sure you visit our lovely riverfront area before everything there closes in anticipation of the main recreational area being torn down and turned into "green space" over however-many years. (Unless they're not doing that anymore. I haven't kept up with it.)

Parasol Prophet fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 21, 2017