Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
He can't really see all the pieces with those guns and gun paraphernalia in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Love to casually make implied death threats toward elected officials.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He’s a farmer, I can trust him.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
Very funny that the pathway to winning the safest GOP congressional district in the state is to one-up the last guy's temper tantrum while backbenching in Springfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZmobdeAUVU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I'm so confused . . . I leave for 2 months and suddenly the entire state is Cook County? (Maybe? :confused: )

I haven't found a good breakdown of the new gun law yet, but it sounds like everything I left in storage (downstate) when I moved is suddenly verboten there as well.

If anyone has a good explainer, I'll gladly take it!

Otherwise, seems like I need to figure out how to prioritize 30 hours of travel time :sigh:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

He went further by putting a video of him shooting a tree with 5 or 6 guns. Right before he shot the tree, he said that this is what he thinks of Pritzker’s “gun grab” as he cocks the gun.

I truly hate performative bullshit like this. He has no solutions or ideas. He only has yelling while throwing poo poo at walls and then shooting a tree for no reason whatsoever.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Zarin posted:

I'm so confused . . . I leave for 2 months and suddenly the entire state is Cook County? (Maybe? :confused: )

I haven't found a good breakdown of the new gun law yet, but it sounds like everything I left in storage (downstate) when I moved is suddenly verboten there as well.

If anyone has a good explainer, I'll gladly take it!

Otherwise, seems like I need to figure out how to prioritize 30 hours of travel time :sigh:

You missed the deadline to register any assault weapons (which now has an expanded definition to include almost every semi-automatic weapon), so until you surrender the prized possessions you left 30 hours away you can be brought-up on state gun charges. If you don't enjoy "the entire state turning into Cook County" I suggest avoiding Illinois state prisons.

Some people just aren't responsible firearm owners.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Illinois is getting in on the effort to remove Trump from the primary ballots. I understand this may not stick, but I would love to see what election results would look like in downstate Illinois if Trump wasn't on the ballot. I haven't seen or heard of anyone being for Nikki Haley or Desantis around Effingham. I wonder if it would depress turnout from the MAGA crowd across the state or if people would just vote for one of the other R candidates.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/voters-seek-to-have-donald-trump-removed-from-illinois-primary-ballot/

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

rachel ray romano posted:

You missed the deadline to register any assault weapons (which now has an expanded definition to include almost every semi-automatic weapon), so until you surrender the prized possessions you left 30 hours away you can be brought-up on state gun charges. If you don't enjoy "the entire state turning into Cook County" I suggest avoiding Illinois state prisons.

Some people just aren't responsible firearm owners.

lol :allears:

One would think that something like this would have been communicated better beforehand, such that my first hearing about it wouldn't have been a Google News article push on Jan 2.

An interesting way to go about things, to be sure.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

midwest ink posted:

Illinois is getting in on the effort to remove Trump from the primary ballots. I understand this may not stick, but I would love to see what election results would look like in downstate Illinois if Trump wasn't on the ballot. I haven't seen or heard of anyone being for Nikki Haley or Desantis around Effingham. I wonder if it would depress turnout from the MAGA crowd across the state or if people would just vote for one of the other R candidates.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/voters-seek-to-have-donald-trump-removed-from-illinois-primary-ballot/

They would just write him in.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m holding out a sliver of hope that republicans support is going to crater once trump isn’t on the ballot. Either through the courts or death. I’m probably wrong, but it’s the only thing giving me hope. I really want the GOP to get absolutely crushed once the deal with the devil they made is over.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Zarin posted:

One would think that something like this would have been communicated better beforehand, such that my first hearing about it wouldn't have been a Google News article push on Jan 2.

Hopefully you live in a county with a chud states attorney who won't press charges against an American patriot exercising his 2nd amendment rights. (Assuming you are a white man)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The X-man cometh posted:

Hopefully you live in a county with a chud states attorney who won't press charges against an American patriot exercising his 2nd amendment rights. (Assuming you are a white man)

I probably do, but in a completely different state now.

I'll just put everything in my trunk and set my cruise control to 2mph over the speed limit and coast to the nearest border :v:

I mean, I'm doing what everyone wants, right? Removing guns from the state and all~

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I haven't seen a Zarin do this many weapon crimes since the Grand admiral launched the coup

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I haven't seen a Zarin do this many weapon crimes since the Grand admiral launched the coup

Thus is the fate of enemies of the Empire!

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Zarin posted:

If only there was some kind of registry of all the owners of these weapons so that they could be easily notified. What ever happened to personal responsibility, though?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I posted about this in the Chicago thread but someone in the mayor’s office named Jason Lee went off on some comes people and got them fired and posted an embarrassing, super long Twitter post about how he left Harvard to serve the people of Chicago blah blah blah

And now this:
https://twitter.com/LeighGiangreco/status/1744833121969672523

This isn’t like, important, but it’s so loving weird! Why do this, first of all, but then why tell such a transparent lie about it

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Imagine being told to come up with a bullshit reason to cover for her and just having to quickly google jason lee + politics.

EDIT:

fwiw,
https://twitter.com/theonlyjasonlee/status/1744855436590018712

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

I posted about this in the Chicago thread but someone in the mayor’s office named Jason Lee went off on some comes people and got them fired and posted an embarrassing, super long Twitter post about how he left Harvard to serve the people of Chicago blah blah blah

And now this:
https://twitter.com/LeighGiangreco/status/1744833121969672523

This isn’t like, important, but it’s so loving weird! Why do this, first of all, but then why tell such a transparent lie about it

Yeah, Jason probably takes after his mom, Shelia Jackson Lee:

""Houston Press - Flying Miss Shelia" posted:

In early March, Burruss got a phone call from Rebecca Cox, a Continental Airlines governmental affairs vice president at the airline's Washington office. According to Burruss, Cox bluntly declared, "We have been dealing with the congresswoman for three years now, and we are tired of her bad behavior. Something has got to happen."

As an airline Gold Card carrier with plenty of frequent-flier miles, Lee routinely upgrades her airline seats to first class, not an unusual arrangement. But Lee had come to expect other deluxe perks not always available in Continental's non-hub cities, Cox explained.

She then described an incident the previous month when Lee boarded a flight at National, and found the menu did not include a seafood special she had wanted.

"She screamed at the top of her lungs at least a minute," Burruss quotes Cox as telling her. "She embarrassed the flight attendants and the passengers in first class. And she embarrassed herself."

According to Burruss, Cox claimed Lee declared, "Don't you know who I am? I'm Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee. Where is my seafood meal? I know it was ordered!"

When Burruss asked Cox what could be done, Cox asked that her message be relayed directly to Lee, and then joked, "We have already given her the Delta Airlines schedule."

So now we have the President of the CTU, who sends her kid to private school, defending a senior aide to the mayor for verbally berating public employees. Brandon: the calls are coming from inside the house.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
Rep. Niemerg just got tossed from the primary ballot over a technicality. This is going to cause such a mess in my district lmao

https://twitter.com/brendenmoore13/status/1745503881956638823

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sailor Jerry posted:

Rep. Niemerg just got tossed from the primary ballot over a technicality. This is going to cause such a mess in my district lmao

lol loving amateur. This is Illinois what did he expect.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Sailor Jerry posted:

Wilhour almost got tossed too for not filling out his financial statement.

Their whole lives are filled with not doing anything and it cost one of him his spot (unless no one was running against him).

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

rachel ray romano posted:

Yeah, Jason probably takes after his mom, Shelia Jackson Lee:

So now we have the President of the CTU, who sends her kid to private school, defending a senior aide to the mayor for verbally berating public employees. Brandon: the calls are coming from inside the house.

The Johnson administration is following the plot of Animal Farm.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Wilhour almost got tossed too for not filling out his financial statement.

Their whole lives are filled with not doing anything and it cost one of him his spot (unless no one was running against him).

Who filled the objections for Niemerg and Wilhour? Are there even Dems running against them?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

The X-man cometh posted:

The Johnson administration is following the plot of Animal Farm.

Wait who's Trotsky

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

Who filled the objections for Niemerg and Wilhour? Are there even Dems running against them?

Wilhour has an R opponent. Niemerg does not. There are Dems in this county so I am guessing it was them for Niemerg and the opponent for Wilhour.

I was reading. Niemerg can take the decision to court or he can be a write in candidate but hast to get at least 500 votes to actually win.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BTnewsroom/status/1752793797644144994

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
That’s MY mayor.

No don’t bring up anything else that’s happened so far since inauguration.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Good, now that we've weighed in, surely things will change.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Good, now that we've weighed in, surely things will change.

pffft, just a buncha politicians catering to the large palestinian voting contingent backed by a large base of supporters. I can't believe that politicians would use symbolic gestures to shore up power bases and attempt to influence larger organizations!

like dude. There are a bunch of people living in the city whose family members are getting killed right now and it sure seemed like they supported this.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Benagain posted:

pffft, just a buncha politicians catering to the large palestinian voting contingent backed by a large base of supporters. I can't believe that politicians would use symbolic gestures to shore up power bases and attempt to influence larger organizations!

like dude. There are a bunch of people living in the city whose family members are getting killed right now and it sure seemed like they supported this.

I think the point is more that the city of Chicago has no levers to pull here - that isn't to say that a symbolic gesture is always useless, but polling and such has already been accumulating and it doesn't seem sufficient to cause a real course correction so far.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

BougieBitch posted:

I think the point is more that the city of Chicago has no levers to pull here - that isn't to say that a symbolic gesture is always useless, but polling and such has already been accumulating and it doesn't seem sufficient to cause a real course correction so far.

I mean no poo poo, neither does the international criminal court or the UN security council for pretty much the same reasons.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
If we want to be constructive about it, there are more levers the City of Chicago can pull - and that's cutting contracts with any Israeli linked businesses and endorsing BDS on a municipal level.

That's far less likely to happen, but it is something it could do.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mike N Eich posted:

If we want to be constructive about it, there are more levers the City of Chicago can pull - and that's cutting contracts with any Israeli linked businesses and endorsing BDS on a municipal level.

That's far less likely to happen, but it is something it could do.

Yeah, that would be something at least, not just empty words.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I just read that Bailey and Wilhour both went to the US-Mexico border to hold a press conference. They both praised the Texas governor for his “courage”.

1) both of them complained about Chicago being a sanctuary city but neither mentioned Abbot committing human trafficking by migrants to Chicago.

2) I am glad that neither of them think that their own districts need anything. Good use of campaign or government funds.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Bost knows how to choose them.

https://twitter.com/MarkMaxwellTV/status/1755405628300788194?s=20

For those who have never seen “A Few Good Men”, a core red results in an army member being murdered and their commander going to jail.

Jackson here, at a Bost event, is saying that his Republican colleague should be murdered.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
No, no, he;s saying he should be beaten.
The murder was an accident

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
At least he didn't quote As Good as It Gets.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Shotspotter is just some makebelieve right? It doesn't work?
Or rather it has a false positive rate so high that it doesn't matter that it found all the needles by delivering infinity hay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

It bullshit yes.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-hall/2021/11/12/22778971/shotspotter-contract-police-districts-city-council-gunfire-violence-crime

Great grift if you can get the contract though!