Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Sailor Jerry posted:

I was born and raised 30 minutes from Effingham towards Indiana. A local guy just announced a run for State Representative complaining about the increased income taxes. He's running as a Democrat.

I live 10 minutes west of Effingham but I was born and raised right in the area you were. Are you a Newtonite?

Our state Rep Cavaletto announced he is not running again. While he voted for the budget, he has constantly been a shitstain on everything else. He told one of my students that she was too pretty and nice looking to be in Alternative Education. This was before he told several of my students that Alt Ed schools are unnecessary and kids should just make due in "normal school".

The people running for his seat have said that he was too liberal (all because of one vote).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

The economy of the state shifted because of railroads and Stephen A Douglas.

Chicago exploded when the railroads connected to the Plains area.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Man, I am seeing so many pissed off idiots complaining about the LGBT history education bill. It seems like recognizing that these people existed throughout history is somehow wrong.

One person complained and said that they would only accept this if “heterosexual history is taught in schools including Adam and Eve.”

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Several years ago, at an at-risk youth education conference, we had a lady who was going to be giving a keynote presentation about media issues with teens.

It started off somewhat normal. She was a former actress who had been in a background scene of some 90s teen romance movie. She talked about working in Hollywood and how they work hard to create the perfect “art” to make pull in teens and their disposable income.

Then it went into crazy land. She talked about how becoming a born again Christian made her want to leave Hollywood and start a god fearing family. She then realized that Hollywood was trying to brainwash children to all different sort of things especially anti-Christian. She then went onto a 5 minute rant about Beyoncé’s alter ego as being Bey possessed by a demon. That demon takes over to help lure at-risk youth to be devil worshippers.

Yep, it was completely batshit! This guy is probably something similar but replace Satan with globalists.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Trump has already said that if he commutes Blago that it is him connecting with Democrats.

Patty Blago went on Fox News and said that Comey and Fitzgerald went after her husband to take down and governor and overstep the will of the people just like how they are trying to do to Trump. That right there is the play (along with Blago was on the Apprentice)

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Illinois is so blatantly corrupt.

http://twitter.com/WGNNews/status/1021152952415907840

http://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1021155747462369280

http://twitter.com/tahmanbradley/status/1021131268090736640

http://twitter.com/RepChrisWelch/status/1021136470403428352

http://twitter.com/tahmanbradley/status/1021137778715906049

“absolutely not a campaign event”

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

When I'm not watching the Bears predictably crap the bed and snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory, I am usually streaming TV from the various cable channel apps on my Roku. Up until recently there were vanishingly few political ads.

And now I have that wretched lady saying stuff about how she just can't afford another dime in taxes, and lying about that car mileage thing, and how she'll move out of the state (good riddance). And miserable Diana Rauner just completely ignoring how her billionaire hubby decided to bankrupt the state for a few years in order to break unions.

Political ads are the worst.

Those ads are super annoying but dammit, the JB “karaoke” and “dad jokes” ads are loving stupid also. Is polling showing that people do not see him as human or something?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

The Bold Kobold posted:

I absolutely love how with mine almost half of the options only have a Republican candidate running. :toot:

Same with me but this is the first year in over a decade where there have been democratic candidates running in over half of the elections.

They will probably still lose but it is a first step (my county is so loving Republican, only 25% or so supported Jesse White in the last election he ran in).

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Marco Rubio is coming to Illinois to campaign for Roksam.

Trump is coming for Bost.

Being a Southern Illinois resident, it warms my heart a little to see their power bible threatened, even though they will probably win.

Mike Bost: Never Forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZmobdeAUVU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

gently caress Rauner’s latest commercial detailing all he has “done” over the last four years. One of them is “Restored the freedom of speech to public employees.”

gently caress, you did nothing with that. The Supreme Court did that which is still beyond lovely.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

All of my Republican friends (not the ones that work in politics but the everyday ones) have been going on and on about how the last two Democratic governors went to jail so Pritzker will too.

Dear god....

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

This thread is missing something. We need a new day version of MIGF. When Rauner was first elected, MIGFwoukd spend all of the time talking about how he was just using this as a stepping stool to become President in 2016.

It feels like Pritzker needs a hype man like that.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, the guys representing the area I live in are the ones who have sponsored that. Therefore, everyone on my Facebook feed is sharing the article and saying how great it would be.

I have been posting this image and commenting about how stupid this would be since the rest of Illinois would lose most of its money for public institutions like prisons, schools, roads, etc.

Edit: Strangely enough, the county I currently live in and my hometown county are the only counties that lose money or come out even in central/Southern Illinois. The rest of those counties that the sponsors represent are hosed though.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 11, 2019

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Sailor Jerry posted:

lol one of the co-sponsors is my state rep. There's always one bill of this nature floating around each session.

I live in Crawford County, one of the southern IL green counties. I always wonder how Jasper County contributes more to the state than normal.

Woohoo on the Crawford County living! My mother’s family is from Oblong so I spent a lot of time in Oblong and Robinson (I miss Dog N Suds).

It is less that Jasper County contributes more and more that Jasper County takes less. Crawford has the prison (it still has that right) and the community college. Jasper County has none of that to use taxpayer contributions.

That is honestly were most of it comes from. All of these counties contribute generally the same but some of these counties use a lot more (prisons, colleges, and other state funded agencies use more than what they send in).

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I don't give a poo poo about tax stuff. It should be legal just from an ethical standpoint and because 75% of the residents here want it. Why does legalizing something that should be legal require figuring out how much loving money it can make the state first? Meanwhile people continue to get arrested for it, spend time in jail, and have their lives ruined.

A prison guard I know told me that the majority of people in jail that say they are in there for pot are actually in there for child molestation. He said that he looked at their records and knows the truth but they just tell everyone it is drugs. Because of this, he does not think anyone in jail for pot should be released if it becomes legal.

When I mentioned that we know publicly what people are in jail for so it does not matter what they say in jail, he could not understand what I meant.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

The villagers are getting restless. Amazing how the same people who love Trump and told everyone to get over it are now freaking out.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah it and that giant ugly cross can just go.

It is THE Cross dammit! Jesus was loving huge!!!

The funny part is Effingham is pretty much revenue neutral but they would be paying for all of the counties around them.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

The rally to “take back Illinois” was held today. Around 1,300 people showed up for it. They had a giant flag as the backdrop.

I am honestly surprised the most that my sister and brother in law did not go because they have both fallen into the chud valley. Apparently, there was a Pokemon raid happening that they chose to go to instead.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

xzzy posted:

Are they able to clearly articulate to what point in the state's history they want to restore things to?

As was said above, when rural white people ruled the roost and could sneer at the minorities and urban people while maintaining their power structure.

I am going to keep posting downstate Illinois stuff like this. We have 3 new state reps in the area that have decided that they are going to get their names out there as much as possible. Also, I have never witnessed the local chud population up in arms as much as since Priztker got elected. I am thinking that they are pissed about how the left went after Trump that they need to do the same with the state stuff.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

Did this time ever exist? Farmers have been getting screwed since before the Civil War.

Yeah, they have always been screwed but in a previous time, population was more spread out so they felt like they had more say in their being screwed over.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

God, I hate how stupid people can be.

https://q985online.com/illinois-residents-may-soon-pay-a-tax-when-it-rains/

quote:

If you think Illinois had a tax for everything, you're wrong! A new tax is being proposed that will cost you money every time it rains. It's being called the 'rain tax.'

A new tax on rainwater is being proposed in Springfield, according to Illinois State Rep. Allen Skillicorn (R-East Dundee). Skillicorn, who strongly opposes the bill, is calling it the 'rain tax.' He posted information about the proposed new tax in a Facebook Live video last week.

House Bill 825 would allow is non-home rule municipalities the ability to charge a fee to maintain their stormwater sewer system.

According to the Illinois News Network, Skillicorn says:

The measure would allow rain to be taxed by, as the bill states, allowing “stormwater utility charges to offset the cost of owning, maintaining, and improving local stormwater infrastructure. And it’s a fee, so it’s not tax deductible. It’s also something a church would have to pay, businesses; it’s also unlimited, so this theoretically, ten, fifteen years from now could be the biggest tax hike Illinois has ever seen.
If you have a large roof, or a long driveway, or a parking lot, you would be responsible for more taxes, under this bill, according to Skillicorn.

Rockford is a non-home rule community, and if passed, would be able to institute this new tax.

The bill states the following:

Amends the Combined Waterworks and Sewerage Systems Division of the Illinois Municipal Code. Modifies the definition of "sewerage system" to include storm water collection, treatment, and distribution infrastructure and disposal of storm water. Provides that charges a municipality may charge to inhabitants include storm water utility charges to offset the cost of owning, maintaining, and improving local storm water infrastructure.

The bill is sponsored by Chicago Heights State Rep. Anthony DeLuca (D).

This is filling up my feed with “just another way for Chicago to screw us”.

Also, for all the bitching people are doing about the possible gas tax raise, when I point out that, the VMT (that they all bitched about on Facebook) pilot program might have made it to where the gas tax did not have to be raised if they instituted the VMT over the next couple of years, they still complain about how the government in Illinois is stealing money from the citizens.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Well I have good news and bad news from downstate (that only affects us but others must share in my pain)

Bad news: my county had a 1 cent sales tax proposal to be used for school building and maintenance funding. Due to having two major interstates running through it, it was estimated to bring in $5.2 million a year and mostly from travelers through the area. All of the other neighboring counties have passed one and it has benefitted their schools immensely. It lost here because people are stupid and MUH TAXES!

Good news: my home town had a school board election. A few years ago, one of the members sent confidential, private information about a student (the son of the school board president) to people outside of the school system. He says he was elected by the people to bring transparency and accountability to the board. After it was found out that he had sent this, the Board stopped sending him any information and pretty much excluded him from internal discussions. He sued and had been a general pain in the rear end for the last 3 years. He has cost the school district hundreds of thousands in legal fees (already a strapped school) and has taken on some pretty aggressive behavior (both legal and physical...he said the son of the school board President assaulted him while shaking hands during graduation and tried to have the kid arrested).

He was up for re-election and he lost...easily.

In other words, southern Illinois is a land of contrasts.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

In the new “Downstate is pissed about poo poo” weekly reminder, they are now pissed off that Pritzker is allowing tax payer money to be used for transgender surgeries.

A local rep, who is making his name by filing, sponsoring or co-sponsoring any red meat bullshit he can (first bill was to put “In God We Trust” in every school, then it was to protect guns Bill, then it was to stop abortion, then it was the separate Chicago bill) has filed a bill to stop this.

Downstate Republicans have to be loving the fact that the state is actually doing things now so that they can hem and haw about everything.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My county is such poo poo.

http://www.thexradio.com/news/78-local-news/38810-county-board-legislative-committee-votes-to-put-separate-state-question-on-2020-ballot

quote:

The Effingham County Board's legislative committee has voted to place the separation of the bulk of Illinois from Chicagoland on the March 2020 election ballot as a constitutional question.
Here's the question as proposed by County Board member Heather Mumma: "Shall Effingham County Correspond With the Other Counties Of The State Of Illinois, Outside Of Cook County, Outside The City Of Chicago, And Outside Other Municipalities Of Cook County, And Exclude Any Collar Counties Outside Of Cook County That Wish To Be Excluded, About The Possibility Of Separating From Cook County, The City Of Chicago, And Other Municipalities Of Cook County To Form A New State, And To Seek Admission To The Union As Such, Subject To The Approval Of The People Of The United States?"

The matter will be on the agenda at Monday's full Effingham County Board meeting. The Board's Legislative Committee, though, meets as a Committee of the Whole, so Monday's endorsement seems likely. The decision would make Effingham County the first county in the state to take such action.

Committee members also voted to consider Monday a resolution declaring the Firearm Owners Identification Card, or FOID card, is unconstitutional and should be eliminated. The resolution also demands the rejection of any legislation that would restrict the right to keep and bear arms.

County Board Vice-Chairman David Campbell said he knows of several other counties that want a copy of the FOID Resolution, in hopes of making a "strong and unified statement".

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Did Rauner have any investigations into his financial shadiness while he was in office?

I cannot remember anything.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Seems pretty interesting.

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20190507/illinois-took-in-15-billion-more-than-expected-last-month

quote:

State revenue for April exceeded projections by $1.5 billion, according to a letter sent to legislative leaders by state finance officials.

The windfall all but covers the deficit expected in Gov. J.B. Pritzker's budget.

"Gov. Pritzker remains committed to a financially responsible budget that addresses Illinois' outstanding obligations, and recommends that these additional revenues can be dedicated to the state's statutory (fiscal year 2020) pension payment," said the letter co-authored by Illinois Department of Revenue Secretary David Harris and Office of Management and Budget Director Alexis Sturm.

Most of the additional revenue came from income tax payments.

"More than $4.1 billion in individual and corporate income tax revenues were deposited into the general funds in the month of April 2019, up $1.14 billion or 38% from April 2018 income tax deposits of $3 billion," the pair wrote. "This is also more than $1.5 billion more than internally projected for April 2019."

Using the money for pension payments would allow the state to maintain the current pension payment schedule instead of pushing it off another year.

Barrington Hills Republican state Rep. David McSweeney argued the money should be used to pay down the state's current $6 billion backlog of bills.

"We need to cut spending in Springfield," McSweeney said.

The finance officials offered several explanations for the influx of cash last month.

Those include "the performance of the stock market, better federal reimbursement for Medicaid, the elimination of the federal state and local tax deduction and additional changes in the federal tax law that meant many taxpayers didn't withhold sufficient taxes through payroll deductions, backloading their end-of-year tax payments," Harris and Sturm wrote.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

All that is being talked about on Facebook is the RHA.

The one thing I do not like is how these were passed. I am not a fan of Wisconsin Republican rush jobs. Yes, I k ow that they have to get them passed by May 31st to get them going fast enough, but it just irks me.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

While I hate the idea of gerrymandering, I am becoming more and more of a reluctant supporter since Rs are doing it in so many states.

Also, if we could kill Bailey, Halbrook and Wilhour, it would be magical on so many levels.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

A local county clerk posted this:

quote:

Things are changing MAJORLY in the state of Illinois beginning tomorrow. PLEASE remember that the front line staff that you deal with, should you find yourself in my office, didn't do this, your legislators in Springfield did. My staff is simply doing their job. Please remember this and treat them accordingly.

The following are some PSA announcements for Sunday, June 30, 2019:

Tip #1: Fill up your your vehicle and and all your gas containers. The gasoline tax doubles from 19 cents to 38 cents per gallon and the diesel tax jumps from 21.5 cents to 45.5 cents per gallon.

Tip #2: If you are traveling by car in the state of Illinois, today is the day to speed. The state is offering its speeding tickets for one last day at the incredible bargain price of $120, for speeding up to 25 mph over the limit. But after today, that same ticket will cost you $164.

Tip #3: When you get that ticket, pleading over the counter will save you $62 over going to court.

Tip #4: Don’t just forget about that ticket. Failing to do anything on or before the court date on your ticket will cost you that same extra $62.

Tip #5: Whatever you do, keep it under 26 mph over the speed limit. At $325, the ticket for speeding 26 mph or more is almost double the cost of the ticket for speeding only 25 mph over the limit.

Tip #6: Lastly, if your friends tell you that you can apply for a waiver of fees on that traffic ticket, they’re wrong.

You’re welcome.

And hey!
Let’s be careful out there. Wear your seatbelt. Failure to do so will cost you another $164.

So many comments along the lines of “I am going to gas up in Indiana and Missouri now!” Or “I can’t wait to move away from this state.” Yet, these are the same people who complain about roads and potholes in the area.

Also, the local radio station that has been pushing the Pritzker is raising taxes (lots of “how do you feel posts”) posted yesterday how the infrastructure plan will rebuild the main road in their town and to see the lack of angry comments was outstanding (still some of “oh great, now the roads will be closed” or “I’ll believe it when I see it”). I cannot wait until rep Wilhour takes part of the ceremonies and tells everyone that this got fixed because of him even though he voted against the package.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Well, the chuds in Southern Illinois have found their newest thing to get pissed about.

It originally started about the DuQuoin State Fair removing Confederate Railroad from their line up this year. (Somehow connected to Capitol Fax getting it removed due to their use of the flag of traitors)

Then it connected that with the Illinois State Fair still having Snoop Dogg perform even though one of his albums has a picture of a dead body with Trump written on the body tag.

For as much as liberals get called snowflakes, there is some drat mighty melting people on the other side.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

loving Bost!

I came here to post that Trump is teasing a commutation of Blago’s sentence...how will the chuds respond?!?!?!? They will. E hypocritical about it

Also, I posted an article about how Jim Edgar (referred to as the last down state governor) blasted the “kick Chicago out of Illinois” group as idiots who have not done anything because they do not know how to do anything. A guy commented and told me that George Ryan was the last downstate governor of Illinois. When I told him that Ryan was from Kankakee, he told me that Kankakee was this guy’s hometown and they “always felt downstate”.

:confused:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Geographically and culturally, Kankakee is not downstate whatsoever.

As was said, Chicago and the collar counties are providing so much money for central and southern Illinois. I have had people brag over and over again how they are going to move to Indiana or Missouri as soon as they can. It has been nice for me to tell them that those other states can have “lower taxes” only because states like Illinois are paying for them since those other states cannot take care of their own poo poo so they have to beg for money.

They generally shut the gently caress up after that but occasionally I get someone who says that those other states could 1) do it themselves if they do choose since they have Republican leadership better than democrat (I then get to make fun of them for not doing it now because they are actually stupid) which then leads to 2) why shouldn’t they do it if Illinois is dumb enough to pay more money (which I then am able to say that that works for anyone on welfare the ln)

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Yes, let’s use Mercatus who lobbied the Bush administration to end “free market”regulation killers that helped lead to the Great Recession. Smart people!

Also, intergovernment funding does play a part in state budgets. Yes, Illinois gets back 97% of what they put in but Indiana gets 130% of what they put in. Every extra penny that Indiana or any other neighboring state gets from the federal government is a penny that they do not have to use from their own budgets to provide those services. Now, those states can choose to direct that extra money to other programs or they can “cut taxes” since they do not need as much revenue. These states choose to keep their taxes low but one of the reasons that they can do that is because they take more federal money than they put in.

Where does that money come from? Part of it comes from states like Connecticut and even Illinois.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Oracle posted:

Methinks Shimkus' polling is becoming worrisome. Who's running against him for the D's out there?

He announced last month that he is not running for re-election. That is why he is willing to criticize. As my Rep, I hope Trump bitches about him on Twitter and he is made to respond.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

So Southern Illinois is getting stupid again.

A guy posted on Facebook that the Jasper County Sheriff’s Department cake to take his wife’s guns due to her expired FOID card. Well, the comments filled with people decrying the unconstitutional actions and some even fantasized about shooting officers.

Then appears the random internet video guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aOm4h2TNC8

The Sheriff released a letter explaining what he is doing.

http://www.jaspercountysheriff.net/alerts/4529768401

So internet guy posts another video and essentially just reads the letter but then says that Sheriffs across the state need to “stand up” to “these people”.

It is simply amazing how many of these “support our police officers” people become anti-cop when the cops are doing something that effects them.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Here is the Sheriff’s response today:

quote:

Hello citizens of Jasper County this is Sheriff Brandon Francis. I would like to address the recent Facebook Post and rumors about the Sheriff’s Office going to a house to pick up an individual’s guns for an expired FOID. I would like to start off by advising everyone that since I have been Sheriff the Sheriff’s Office has never taken a firearm from any individual for a Concealed Carry or FOID expiration, suspension, or revocation.

My Deputies and I are not coming to your residence for your firearms. I released an article in the June 3 rd , 2019 edition of the Jasper County News Eagle. This article explains the
letter that the Sheriff’s Office receives from the Illinois State Firearms Service Bureau. The article goes on to explain what the Sheriff’s Office does once we receive this letter. I wrote this letter to warn people of what I felt were non-valid reasons of FOID revocations. As I state in the letter the Sheriff’s Office has nothing to do with the Illinois State Police Firearms Bureau. I do not agree with many of
these revocations and suspensions. When we collect the Non Valid FOID it is sent to the Illinois State Police Firearms Bureau along with the Firearm Disposition which list the firearms and who the firearms were transferred to. These items must be received by the Illinois State Police Firearms Bureau before they will consider reinstating the FOID. We will assist people in filling out these forms if they want help and we will mail them off for the individual. On occasions where it was not clear why the FOID was revoked I have done some digging and found out for the individual why the State revoked the FOID or Concealed Carry. I have also mailed letters into the Illinois State Police Firearms Bureau explaining why I felt certain revocations were not valid and in some cases provided court documents to prove this.

The question I have seen several times is why does the Sheriff’s Office get involved in these
matters? Now that I have explained what the Sheriff’s Office does let me explain what takes place if the Sheriff’s Office chooses to not get involved. Members of the Illinois State Police are given the task of making sure that everyone that does not have a valid FOID is compliant with State Law. If the individual chooses not to surrender the FOID to local Law Enforcement and not complete the Firearms disposition
then the State Police are aware that they have not received these documents. In the past Members from the Illinois State Police have come to the Sheriff’s Office. They have a list of the people that live in the county that have had FOID revocations. They then compare their list with the list of people that we have collected the Non-valid FOID and Firearm disposition forms from. If the people have surrendered
their FOID and completed a firearm disposition everything is fine with them. If they find that people have not surrendered their FOID or completed a Firearm Disposition then they may go visit the individual. The Sheriff’s Office does NOT accompany the State Police when they visit homes for this reason. In some cases firearms are taken from the individual. This is one reason why the Sheriff’s Office
attempts to visit homes and collect these documents and help with the dispositions. We look to give the individual every possible option and help get their FOID issues resolved if we can. This way they can avoid the State Police knocking on their door and they can have a spouse, family member, or trusted friend keep the firearms until their FOID issues are resolved.

I would like to state again that the Sheriff’s Office has never taken any firearms from individuals for the reasons listed above and we have no intentions of doing so. I am a hunter and I am pro 2nd amendment. I have helped teach concealed carry classes and I have donated firearms to be raffled off for community events. I have also been a sponsor of the Newton High School Trap Team. I believe that our law abiding citizens should bear arms if they choose to do so and that our community is safer because of it. Like many of you I do not agree with the FOID. Unfortunately we live in a state that requires a FOID. These are some of the reasons that I chose to write an article back in June addressing these issues. I am a firearm owner and I will work with other firearm owners to help protect our 2nd Amendment rights. I will attach the article I wrote in June. Please contact me at the Sheriff’s Office if you have any further questions regarding these issues. Please remember that if a Deputy or I come to
your house we are trying to help you with your FOID issues despite what the letter you received from the State might say. I apologize for any confusion in this matter.

Respectfully,
Sheriff Brandon Francis

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

Of course the one town he namechecks is Newton, a name that has no other connotation with guns at all.

That is the actual county seat of Jasper County. It is the only place in Jasper County to be exact.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

You are correct. Being from Newton and even I forget that it is Newtown, not Newton.

Sailor Jerry posted:

Can confirm.

I know a couple of people in Newton. There's already talk of a primary challenge next cycle. Poor guy.

I graduated from high school with the guy, there probably won’t be a primary challenge (since he is a Democrat) but there are a bunch of Republicans in the county that now want him gone, even though he is (or at least was) really popular with the county before this.

He is a good guy and, as can be attested from his letter, he and his department have been working their butts off to make sure that people have their documents taken care of with this FOID issue. Does not matter because these gun owners see it as just another example of a Democrat coming to take their guns.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Downstate has been essentially rebelling against it. Many of the towns and counties in rural Illinois are actively working against it.

Jasper County apparently has a really good initial meeting over it (with people on both sides of the issue having meaningful discussions over it). However, the second meeting had 90 more people in the meeting, all from local churches, who used their time to pray for the county’s misguided ways while making up poo poo about marijuana.

From the point in, the discussion shifted from positive to negative. I saw one county board member talking about how the county would need to hire more police officers and nurses to deal with marijuana use. Another board member now states that he wants the people to vote on it because it is too big an issue for him to vote on (profiles in courage right there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

If I was a next to the Indiana border, I would open up a state line store (like they do for alcohol sales) and sell to all those thirsty Indiana residents.

Effingham has allowed sales and the medicinal place received its recreational license. When medicinal sales were being discussed groups came pouring out to say how this would showcase a moral downfall for Effingham...no comment on alcohol though. With recreational, the same groups came out to say THIS would be showcasing the moral downfall for Effingham...no comment on the previous moral downfalling.