Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Chuu posted:

Several of my coworkers who live in the suburbs have commutes under an hour door to door on Metra. When I first started working in the loop I was blown away that the project lead had a shorter commute than I did -- and lived in Northbrook.

Our regional transport system is actually pretty decent.

Yeah, I was also really surprised to find out that many folks in the burbs have similar commutes to city dwellers, it made angry for a bit. I like driving, but I HATE sitting in traffic - public trans all day long. Sleep, read, zone out, play cards with your train buddies, now thats a commute.

I also knew folks who took the Metra from Fox Lake everyday - WTF!

And as others said, the city is still very affordable, taking in to consideration its a big city and the limitations that creates. If you don't care about public trans even more of the city opens up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Soonmot posted:

An ad popped up in my facebook feed today crying about rent control being unfair and bad. This is the first I'm hearing about rent control, is this something Chicago is doing?

It's been talked about on and off for a long time, but never gets as that far. Rent is pretty nuts in parts of the city.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Big Black Dick posted:

I mean, downstate seceding will never happen, but hypothetically if it passed wouldn't the federal government have some say in the matter? Just assuming the country is going to jump to 51 states because of a single state's vote seems more than a little presumptive.

-I assume it would have to be approved by congress.
-It would be in the courts for years and years.
-I'm guessing it would be a weird patchwork of counties that just wouldn't work.

Ignoring all of that is there any reason to not allow it? Politics (and sarcasm) aside, what would be the pros/cons for each half?

Its not like it'd be the first time a state split over political differences.