Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Why does that last map place Peoria outside of Peoria county? Like East Peoria, which is in fact not in Peoria county

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

LLSix posted:

I moved to Decatur recently. Looks like we picked an exciting year. It'll be interesting living in a blue state. It seems like people around here are pretty conservative though. It's really shocking to hear Rauner talking about how terrible his state is. Does he not think that reflects poorly on his governership?

The people living in Illinois hate Illinois so much that making GBS threads on it is likely to win votes. You know, the Trump method.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Peoria is quiet and boring. Rent is cheap. The food is great and generally cheap. Everyone who lives there hates everyone else but all share a mutual and unified hatred of Chicago, as is the purview of all down-staters.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Peoria was at one point poised to become what Chicago ended up being. I'm not sure the specifics of why the state's economic capitol shifted the way it did since Peoria is geographically in a spot that's more convenient to the entire state and is on a fairly major river. It's also historically been the benchmark of the "average" American city. Supposedly the demographics most closely resemble those of the nation at large. It's been on a slow and steady decline for a very long time and now that Caterpillar has decided to twist the knife it's probably going to get much worse much more quickly. But hey, at least we got a really ugly museum out of it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't live there anymore but my friends and family do, and I'm afraid that the wide array of foreign food will disappear with Cat. The Indian food in Peoria is great. It's also home to the only Pakistani restaurant I've ever been to.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I worked overnights downtown for a while a few years ago and was at work when there was a big explosion at the ADM plant. I was deep in the building where I worked behind a lot of brick, but I felt the shockwave from it when the room suddenly decompressed for a second as though someone had slammed a heavy door. I didn't think anything of it til the security guard mentioned it a while later.

So, yes.

Edit: http://www.pjstar.com/article/20130109/NEWS/301099855

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How about Peoria county?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
montysello

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That's why the state is just called "noy"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Monkey Fracas posted:

So long denial plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah it does stink, if only someone had been pointing this poo poo out for the last 160 years