Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
rockford is the best place to be from because it was dead last for like a decade straight in best 300 cities in america. Dead. Last. love it. Also it's cool that it's 'downstate' while almost being in wisconsin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Volkerball posted:

It's not really downstate. Kinda Chicago-lite.

It's obviously not downstate, but is treated as such by Chicago, and anyone downstate (i.e. south of i-80) treats the north region as being part of Chicago. Just makes it even more of a lovely area. Then again it's actually quite pretty with hills and whatnot, unlike everything else until you get all the way south to Carbondale.

As for politics, I'm very excited for nonstop ads for the next year and a half. TV stations must be very excited about the prospect of two billionaires duking it out

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

xzzy posted:

Garden of the Gods is quite nice!

Struggling to come up with anything else worth visiting down that way though.

there's a ton of really cool stuff down there, i did a big solo trip there years ago. giant city, fern clyffe, little grand canyon, garden of the gods, its all good

also there's some good paddling right by starved rock if you're in that area at any point, wildcat rapids is actually a legit very short rapid with a good drop that i failed to run in an open canoe w/ my dad despite thinking we could do it

finally, the reason half of chicago goes to michigan for vacations is that 90% of chicagoans are actually from michigan

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bird in a Blender posted:

Has anyone even officially thrown their hat in the ring? I thought it was all just speculation now anyway.

Drury.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Pawar out. bow down to your millionaire/billionaire overlords

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
let's see how the statehouse sexual harassment stuff is going ,

quote:

As late as this week, and after repeated inquiries by myself and others, members were assured that there were “no pending cases” before the Ethics Commission. Today, I discovered that staff is, in reality, holding up to 27 separate complaints against members of the Illinois General Assembly, and have used the fact that no Inspector General has been named as the reason there are—technically—no pending cases since it only becomes a “case” when it is reviewed by the Inspector General.

oh. oh dear

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Man_of_Teflon posted:

House Deputy Majority Leader Lou Lang (D-Skokie), who frequently presides over the House in the absence of Madigan, said the group still meets every month “unless there’s no activity.”

When asked why the commission has not appointed a Legislative Inspector General in over four years, Lang said “There are lots of different processes going on. I think we’ll have one here shortly, though.”

“We haven’t found an appropriate person but I want to hasten to add that there have been no reports of ethics violations during that period of time so it’s not like there’s something that hasn’t been done,” he said.

lol

good news, he's technically right! because sexual harassment is not defined as an ethics violation by the ethics committee

woooo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
you'd be shot by a dozen cops if you tried to punch rahm

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The X-man cometh posted:

Luis Gutierrez isn't running for re-election. The official announcement is at 1 today, with Chuy Garcia, so the assumption is that Gutierrez is going to endorse Chuy and get the base minimum of signatures by the deadline next week.

Carlos Rosa is definitely running, and probably Omar Aquino, Joe Moreno, or George Cardenas.

Chuy and Cardenas are from the Southwest Side, the other 3 from the Northwest Side (Moreno's from Logan Square, that doesn't really count)

Yeah this is a big setup which is always funny. Chuy probably got the heads up from Gutierrez to be ready to get signatures, and in exchange Chuy stays out of Rahm's way (since Gutierrez is a Rahm ally).

There's also the puerto rican vs mexican component to this but I don't think that'll actually matter due to the signature deadline. This district shouldn't even exist due to how badly gerrymandered it is, but so it goes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
presumably if all the loop buildings were paying their real value instead of half of it, the levy could increase without burdening homeowners and then you wouldn't need stupid poo poo like a pop tax (designed to raise less each year due to being a sin tax) to ostensibly pay for county employee salaries

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
In any rational world being on tape with a convicted crooked politician hinting about taking bribes should be a bad thing but gently caress it this is Illinois that poo poo doesn't even register anymore

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't actually think Rauner could win a retention vote

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Without having seen the debate, I feel like Pritzker's selling pretty much what Biss is (progressive income tax, medicare for all, that kinda thing) but have absolutely zero reason to believe that Pritzker would actually follow through with it. Not like Biss is a radical leftist either, considering he was one of the main cosponsors of the failed pension laws.

Also I don't see how Biss ever climbs out of the hole he dug with the BDS/Rosa issue. Getting the endorsement of the nursing union is pretty big but not enough.

As to Chris Kennedy - who wants a middle of the road, more of the same idiot? Illinois is in need of desperate change, and I think voters on both sides would agree on that, just not the method how.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dexo posted:

Jesus

that reminds me of that exchange between Tammy Duckworth and Mark Kirk, where Kirk attacked Tammy for lying about her families military history by saying "oh really, your family has a long military history while they were over in Thailand"

Not stopping and thinking that she's Mixed, and her father's family has been nothing but military men and women, and that he had literally been caught multiple times lying about his own military history.

to be fair to Kirk, at that point he had already suffered actual brain damage and probably wasn't thinking too clearly

and speaking of Republicans, I know a few who are voting for Ives because they're so upset about Rauner passing some abortion funding bill and it's like holy poo poo guys, nothing else about him bothered you? Nothing?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Volkerball posted:

As dipshit Republicany as Rauner is, he's at least been a cork at times. He probably saved the state from bankruptcy a few days by prolonging the budget debate. They ended it by taking out a loan to pay off interest, so the result was the same, but he drug it out to the skinniest of deadlines and made a big show of opposing the Democrats. It didn't help the state of Illinois better its financial position any, but it may have given a little tax relief to anyone in the state who may be stuck there living paycheck to paycheck. So in that situation I think gridlock probably paid off. If either party had total control, they would've long since passed a lavish budget that showered money on the people close to them. Getting poo poo like that through congress and signed off would be no problem because they wouldn't have to frame things through the spectrum of national Democrat/Republican politics. That is kind of a scary idea given, like, Illinois.

Putting a Democratic governor in right now might spoil our chances at a 3-peat. We could have 3 straight governors where not one of them goes to prison. Hasn't happened since the '50s. Quinn, they checked him out or whatever but I think if they were gonna put out a warrant they would've done it already. So it was a close one but I think we're safe with Quinn. Rauner, I'm gonna give a hesitant I don't think he'll go to prison. He could, he absolutely could, don't get me wrong. I just haven't heard any rumblings yet and they've had a little while to manifest. We'll see, time will tell. But if he comes out with no warrants, then it's gonna be really important for this third governor to not end up in a cell so that we don't break the streak. And if we end up with another Blago situation, we might as well reset the clock now. It's all really sketchy ground. It's like whatever door you open, the governor probably goes to prison, you know? Good lord.

blago+dem control of house/senate didn't lavish money on everyone. Blago reneged on so many promises that the legislature didn't trust him at all and made him write him promises down for them to hold onto and wave in his face later on. I don't think you need to vote republican blindly and if you do, vote Ives at least. Rauner loving sucks

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 24, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d57WlyvHA-I

ahahhahaha that is unbelievably offensive its amazing
if i didnt know better i'd say bruce rauner is using ives as controlled opposition to make himself look better

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 2, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
woops
https://capitolfax.com/2018/02/05/fbi-recording-catches-pritzker-joking-with-blagojevich-god-drat-america/#comments

quote:

“I’m sure you thought of this one, but Jesse White,” Pritzker tells Blagojevich. “Even though I know you guys aren’t like, you know, bosom buddies or anything, it covers you on the African-American thing.” […]

Pritzker notes that elevating White to the Senate would open up another appointment for secretary of state, an office coveted for its patronage jobs. “It’d be a lot less pressure on you. You don’t have to put an African-American in that spot,” Pritzker says. […]

“All I would say is I think that there need to be more, you know, people of color that serve in public office,” Pritzker said. “I mean, I think that’s something, I’ve supported a lot of candidates over the years who are people of color and Jesse White’s, I think, a beloved person in the state of Illinois, so I can only imagine that’s what I had in mind.”

Blagojevich: And how about this one? God, if I knew for sure I wasn’t running again…

Pritzker: Yeah.

Blagojevich: How about Rev. Wright?

Pritzker: Oh, my God! [Both laugh] Bill Ayers!

Blagojevich: How about f-ing sending Rev. Wright there? I’d bet ya he’d take it.

Pritzker: Hilarious.

Blagojevich: Huh? Would that be f-ing funny?

Pritzker: Hilarious. Oh my God. [Both laugh]

Blagojevich: Yeah. [Laughing] Right there on the Senate floor. It’s not ‘God Bless America,’ it’s ‘God drat America!’

Pritzker: God drat America.

Blagojevich: ‘Well now, when Barack was in Sunday school, I used to tell him’…

Pritzker: That’s funny.

not a big deal but it's gonna blow up with huffy journalists talking about how offensive that is

edit:
https://twitter.com/MaryAnnAhernNBC/status/960955989334872064

somehow rauner is going to end up winning from all this. unreal

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 6, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The real problem for Pritzker is that he can't even state that there aren't worse tapes ready to be dropped.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

brugroffil posted:

Where did these tapes come from? FOIA?

someone inside the FBI is sending them to rauner. i 100% believe he's got a bunch more to drop on pritzker come november

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

County and city election officials said Tuesday they were sending the ballots to print with Raila’s name on them, even though the election officials last week voted to kick her off and asset manager Fritz Kaegi asked the court to keep her off.

That’s because she appealed that decision in court earlier Tuesday, leaving her status as a candidate uncertain for now.

god DAMNIT

this just splits the anti berrios vote

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
This Harold/breen/minor stuff is unreal, wow

some local dude (Minor) trying to take Ives' state rep seats called Harold the nword to her face and asked if she thought it was offensive, then asked if she was 'a lesbo'. And when he got called out he responded saying people tried to bribe him not to run for staterep

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

Talk is cheap and he's shown that's all he is. You're responsible for the votes you make and bills you support. And his stance when it mattered is clear.

Problem is, that just leads to the only electable guys being independently wealthy businessmen who don't have bad votes to explain.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

I'll take my chances on an unknown than someone who I know doesn't support those policies.

I just don't understand the Biss love from progressives. He has literally done the opposite of what he says he's for. He hasn't supported a single-payer system while in office. In fact, he's voted against even having a committee to explore that option.

He pushed an unconstitutional way to gut pensions. He voted to increase funding to charter schools. He voted to allow banks to garnish wages over school loans.

I just don't get it. When did he suddenly become the progressive beacon of hope? He's been a moderate since he took office. Does no one give a poo poo about his actual record?

Yeah your points are 100% correct. He has a history of a bunch of bad votes. I just think there's a bunch of excuses that can rationalize why he's the better choice over pritzker , the top one being inherent distrust of billionaires running for their first office. I also think Rauner matches up better with Pritzker, especially since Pritzker was unable to say if he thought more damaging FBI tapes were out there.

Truth be told I think biss and pritzker would have pretty similar terms. A lot of their platform is predicated on having a constitutional convention and they're going to have to partner up with Madigan to get that done. The only primary that really matters is Cook county assessor

For AG it's a question of strategic voting - I think that public defender guy would do the most immediate help in policing reform, but he has no money or endorsements. Kwame and Quinn are leading the polls and I think they're both incredibly cozy with everyone in politics and will do absolutely zilch about corruption, so Fairley ends up the best option of those top 3 and hope she can win 34-33-33 or whatever

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 9, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bird in a Blender posted:

After Trump, I believe anything is possible, but IL is way more blue than the average of the country, and Rauner has like a mid 30s favorable rating. The Dems would have to really really really screw this up to lose.

It's insane that Rauner has a shot but he does
The choices are
1a) super uninspiring political legacy guy who doesn't energize anyone, is anti-weed, anti everything and self funds to some degree, his only political thing is about cook county property taxes (kennedy) - could lose a low turnout election
1b) super rich dude with multiple FBI tapes out there of him talking poo poo with blago, is unable to say if more tapes exist (that means they probably do) and can also lose another low turnout election with 100m spent in negative advertising on both sides
1c) middle class nerd who has a history of bad votes that are hard to explain

meanwhile rauner's busy trying to get as many veterans killed in quincy as he possibly can for some reason

illinois loving sucks

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't figure out why there's 700 grand being dumped into the state rep primary race in biss's district (Laura Fine is moving up to take biss's seat). There's 3 indistinguishable women with school board experience and the same generic platforms, who cares which of them come out of it. I've been getting crazy amounts of mailers and seeing more and more articles about the money involved but no rationale for why

quote:

Committees controlled by seven Democratic state representatives poured in $359,400 just last Tuesday and committees controlled by House Speaker Michael Madigan contributed more than $22,000 so far this month.

I guess its just a squabble over party loyalty but good god that's a lot of loving money for a vote for madigan as speaker

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 19, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

withoutclass posted:

Not until corporate interest is out of politics!

I don't think lack of corporate interests would stop Rauner and Pritzker from spending 100m against each other over the next six months, it's going to be insufferable

Also my predictions based on literally nothing:

Pritzker 35, Kennedy 31, Biss 30
Lipinski over Newman by 2

Rauner by 10
Kwame by 2 over Quinn

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Man_of_Teflon posted:

No endorsements bump for Fairley?

I think it's going to come down to name recognition vs machine for quinn and kwame, with higher turnout than normal carrying it for kwame. Who the gently caress knows though

Fairley is gonna be a distant third but again I don't think there's any recent polling on this at all.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there any polling at all on Berrios? it's the only race I care about and I feel he's going to win just like dorothy brown did

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sd6 posted:

So are any of these AG's on the democratic ballot worth anything

aaron goldstein is the most progressive and also the least likely to win; however since voting on an individual level is masturbatory anyways feel free to not worry about wasting your vote

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
hillary is doing robocalls for JB

i know she's from illinois but good god go away lady. i'm surprised he was actually willing to use this even in the primary

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

twice burned ice posted:

Someone talk to me about Chris Kennedy. I like his platform, but I'm not a big fan of dynasty politics.

I was leaning Biss last year, but after what happened with Ramirez-Rosa, I'm turned off.

Also, anyone have thoughts on Aaron Goldstein for AG? I like his platform, but I don't know too much about him.

goldstein is good (public defender) but not going to win

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

twice burned ice posted:

Well when you put it that way... I may just vote for Robert Marshall and his three state solution. (not really)

gently caress this dumb state, Marshall is the path to the future

it's going to be hilarious if every cook county republican pulls a dem ballot to vote against berrios and rauner loses the primary to the downstate base

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Pritzker is having his rally at the Marriott? boy the Hyatt???

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Big Black Dick posted:

WGN just said Berrios called Kaegi and conceded. gently caress and yes.

hell yeah. but I'm worried about the disaster with raila this morning that took over an hour to correct

pritzker won this way easier than I expected, I guess living a block from biss's office blinded me a bit.

so far I think I called every election right but not the margin , not even close on those. kind of hoping rauner eats poo poo though considering he's a straight up villain at this point

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think the hosed up voting instructions this morning was part of a setup to get berrios a special election where machine turnout can win it for him

time to see how the lawsuits play out

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The whopping $66 million spent on ads in the Democratic and Republican primaries for Illinois governor made it the most expensive non-presidential primary of all time, according to the ad-tracking firm Advertising Analytics.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The X-man cometh posted:

To be fair, this is the hardest Pritzker has ever worked in his life.

same with rauner. it's actually scary how much weight he lost in office even though he appeared to be doing jack poo poo the whole time (I guess killing veterans in Quincy took a toll on him??)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

My Imaginary GF posted:

When your state has an open Senate seat and the governor calls, you'd be stupid not to take it, even if you suspect that the Feds are listening in.

holy poo poo you're back

anyways you know as well as everyone that jb knew full well blago wanted a bribe for the appointment and was playing along on the phone to keep blago happy without actually directly saying anything

also the black stuff was back during the primary when it mattered, after which JB had all his supporters say they forgave him for saying Emil was uppity (the word crass was used because again, coded language)

emil jones posted:

Pritzker showed his “true colors” when he told Rod Blagojevich in a secretly recorded conversation that Jones was too “crass” to fill Barack Obama’s Senate seat, Jones said Tuesday.

“He’s been running around the black community talking about all the things he’s gonna do. Blah, blah, blah. … He’s trying to buy the black vote. He’s like a one-eyed jack. But, those tapes show you the other side of his face. This is what he really thinks about black folks,” said Jones, who has endorsed Chris Kennedy for governor.

“What he meant by ‘crass’ is that I’m an uppity black. I fight for my people and, sometimes, that ruffles feathers. What he was saying in comparing me to Jesse White is that Jesse White is a safe black. Jesse White is not gonna do what Emil Jones does. Dr. King was a crass black. Harold Washington was a crass black. It was said in a derogatory manner.”

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I didn't read it but anything absolving Edgar is wrong

and under Thompson they did the 3% cola no matter what. Probably exempted pensions from taxes then too, I'm not sure when that passed

this poo poo goes back to the constitutional convention in the 70s and even before. It's going to be a battle of haves and have nots and a ton of hatred on each side towards the other

caveat: my dad gets a super sweet pension and I directly benefit from it, but I still can't stand how they work. neither can he, he quit his state job out of frustration over lack of any realistic pension changes. it's not like JB is going to change anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thwomp posted:

I'm having trouble following the underlying assumption but is it essentially that Edgar and politicians before him in the 80s and 90s underfunded the pension contributions through mathwizardry. When the 90s economy fell apart in 2000, the math couldn't hold together and the bill came due (in 2012)?

yeah they said look we aren't going to pay jack poo poo into pensions now but ramp up payments later. we totally swear future pols will do this no problem. wow our budget is balanced for this year! time to retire and take cushy gigs
*time passes*
new politicians: uh we aren't gonna pay these way higher contributions for pensions what the hell

smame with the 3% increases for cola. back then that was below inflation so it was a cost saving measure, then turned into a boondoggle