Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Parasol Prophet posted:

Don't worry, there's probably a CAT exhibit of some kind being run at the actual museum next door.

Just make sure you visit our lovely riverfront area before everything there closes in anticipation of the main recreational area being torn down and turned into "green space" over however-many years. (Unless they're not doing that anymore. I haven't kept up with it.)

Was that Headquarters-related, or something independent of that?

I don't keep up with any of it, but I don't think any of that concrete is gonna go anywhere. Though now that you mention it, a lot of those riverfront restaurant areas are ... underutilized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
For County Auditor, I have the choice between an (ex?)Accounting professional and a ... small business owner, I guess?

How important is this race anyway? (I'm guessing not very?)

This dumb election snuck up on me.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
We had a ballot option referendum thing (yes/no) "Do we want to move from an elected auditor to an appointed auditor" and I really didn't know how to answer that one.

Is one option considerably better than the other?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

dwarf74 posted:

An elected auditor is more independent and serves at the will of the voters. They are accountable to the public, which is a good thing for an auditor to be.

An appointed auditor can be fired by the people they are auditing. This is a bad thing.

drat, I definitely got that one wrong then. Hopefully I'm the only one that did :ohdear:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DalaranJ posted:

Yes (appointed, not elected) won by 27 according to the latest count. Which is shockingly close given that the question wording seemed to have a positive bias, and yes appeared higher on the ballot.

Like . . . 27 individual votes? Yikes.

I think it's time to look up how to sign up for voting by mail; the sample ballot I used didn't have that on it, so I was blindsided in the booth. I probably spent more time on that single item than I did the rest of the ballot.

Bummer.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Saw my first Rauner campaign ad on YouTube last night, naturally with the Blago/Pritzker tapes. This is gonna be a poo poo fight. At least I can take solace in washing my hands of campaigning for this billionaire, he certainly doesn't need my millennial rear end helping.

I love this ad; the quotes are the best.

I'm not sure it has the intended effect, though. My initial take was "FBI Tapes? Sounds almost like Pritzker was told to get on the phone and goad Blago into saying all kinds of incriminating poo poo". Even if Pritzker wasn't on the take for the FBI, there still isn't anything really damning in there for him; it's just him keeping Blago talking basically.

Obviously I'm not the target audience, though.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Willa Rogers posted:

When your state has an open Senate seat and the governor calls, you'd be stupid to make racist remarks about the "good blacks" vs. the "bad blacks" given chicago's demographics + weight in state elections.

But there you are, dem candidate for gov.

I'm definitely lost now.

Perhaps we're hearing different ads? The one I heard was:
:downsa: Madigan wants to cut me a deal; thoughts?
:downs: idk take it
:downsa: You a lawyer?
:downs: Duh
:downsa: I'll need a new AG
:downs: Interesting
:downsa: You sure you're picking up what I'm putting down?
:downs: Interesting

If there was anything like that in there, somehow I'd missed it.

For what it's worth, I'm the downstate hick that Rauner wants to appeal too, but I'm too young for that poo poo I guess. Now that I type that out, I feel like I really need to move.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oh, yikes. That's not a good look at all.

The irony is that while that's way worse than the ad I keep seeing, I'm not sure that would, uh, hit the right notes for his target audience down here in the same way that :byodood: MADIGAN :byodood: does.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

bort posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9g4YsGpO-A&t=2s

e: Depressed turnout chat: isn't this blue wave going to cancel out the lackluster governor-to-bes?

I'm just pumped to vote for someone my blood-red parents and co-workers would hate, even though it won't amount to anything (maybe?). Also, so I can get irrationally angry when the national vote doesn't Blue Tsunami as hard as I want. (I want inverse-Mondale, so I'm already ready to be disappointed).

Not sure why I'm still here in Central IL; I must have committed some heinous sins in a past life. That, and moving is expensive :v:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bird in a Blender posted:

They all move to Hammond, St. John or go past Gary to Portage and Valpo. I have a coworker right now selling his home in Frankfurt to move to NW Indiana pretty much because of lower property taxes.

I forget that IL doesn’t tax retirement income. I’m surprised anybody leaves the state with that sweet deal.

I don't think IL is alone in that regard. I would have to imagine that FL and AZ have the same deal going on, considering.

I know someone who is going to retire from public service in a different state in the next few years, and he's already collecting a list of "pension-friendly" states to abscond to. (He's in NY though)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Maybe I need to look at how to vote by mail; it would be REAL nice if I could have the actual ballot in front of me and research every option before making a decision. This alone makes me angry that Vote By Mail isn't the default option.

However, I digress.

I'm in IL District 18 (Lahood) / IL House District 18 (Gordon-Booth); Peoria, basically.

Last election, I thought I did a pretty decent job of researching beforehand, but then I got surprised by some random-rear end questions at the end of the ballot that I was completely unaware of and had no idea how to answer. (The one I recall related to an elected vs. appointed auditor or something; I only remember because post-vote researching indicated that I chose the wrong option).

I took a peek at Ballotopedia or whatever, and it LOOKS like my best bet is probably just a straight-D ticket, but I'm wondering if I won't be surprised by random-rear end referendum questions at the end like I was last time.

Is there a better method of looking up sample ballots? Should I just sign up for vote-by-mail? Should I opt out of the democratic process entirely and learn useful post-democratic skills, such as choosing the most succulent bunch of grapes to feed to the oligarchy and/or build up the specific muscles required to use a giant leaf as a fan for hours on end?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pages late, but thanks for this!

I think I'll probably just do a straight D ticket or something, I dunno.

On one hand, I feel like I should research some of the candidates a bit. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want anyone with an (R) by their name anywhere near power at the moment (though that's more of a federal thing, the local races sorta matter too).

It's Illinois, so if I'm still here in 4 years, maybe I'll be saying the same thing about (D) candidates then. Who knows.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

KillerQueen posted:

Run-off day in Chicago, get the hell out and vote

I'm downstate, but got a text from a local candidate to go vote today.

Is it still some sort of primary? Or is it a general election now? (Or, does that vary by location?)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

KillerQueen posted:

Well up here it's the run-off to the elections that had no clear winner last month, I dunno your situation though you should probably google that.

Looks like it's a "consolidated general"; the only sample ballot I can find is 10 pages long and lists every race in every tiny village in the county (and the neighboring county, too, I think). gently caress.

I can't imagine my final ballot will have all that. Is it possible to go to my polling place and get a sample ballot that only has what that location would have on the ballot? Or is that not something that is really offered?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Yep, that's a bit better! Thanks!

Not sure how this election snuck up on me, bleh.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Big Black Dick posted:

Just do what I do and be a white dude.

This username/post combo is :discourse:

For content: I work in an office, and there are certain promotional jumps that require a piss test. Will these new laws make those go away? Or will things like that still be left up to company discretion? I'm guessing the latter, but my (Canadian) buddy said that except for heavy equipment use, their legalization made things like that go away.

I suppose it doesn't matter much to me; I haven't even tried pot yet. (Yeah, yeah, I was some kinda square in High School). I'll get around to it eventually. I expect, if nothing else, I'll spend the bulk of retirement baked as hell (mostly because I'm sure my liver won't tolerate drinking anymore by that point).

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

vyelkin posted:

Worth mentioning that in Canada legalization was a federal thing, whereas I'm sure in the US if employers want to keep piss-testing they can just say they're doing it with regards to federal rather than state law.

Ahh, good point; I hadn't considered that.

I expect the reality of the situation will be that those policies will start being relaxed if (when) they suddenly just can't seem to fill positions anymore.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
It makes me extremely curious if you drive much, or if you happen to live in a place where public transportation actually exists.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that infrastructure is important; when bridges fail, people die. When a pothole busts up a car and that family now has issues getting to and from work and school, that is a cost on the economy as well.

The gas tax pays for infrastructure. Legal weed is coming in 6 months, if I understand things correctly.

Is there more to be done? Of course there is. But all this poo poo is important, and it looks like we are actually moving in the right direction.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Volkerball posted:

I drive to work every day. Of course it's important. So was enhancing pension obligations so that government employees could retire comfortably. But in the end those people are gonna get hosed, and the same can be said about the state of Illinois' infrastructure if we try to replace it when we don't have the money. The state has a massive amount of debt, and the worst credit rating in the country. That is going to manifest itself somewhere, whether it be in increased funding towards debt, or decreased funding for programs and projects. In lieu of those, with the kick the can strategy of the last several years, Illinois financial security is going to degrade even further underneath the surface until it forces itself onto the table again. With the scale of the financial disaster we're flirting with, I'll happily hit the pothole. Put some crossed orange flags next to it like they do in Canada and call it a day.

Fair enough. However, I still think that without infrastructure, you can't really have an economy. It's kinda a death spiral all the way down, but you need to start somewhere.

Will the infrastructure projects be enough to start retaining people in the state/pulling more in? I really have no idea.

And you're absolutely right about the fact that the can has been kicked continually for the last . . . forever. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention, but it does seem like we're finally attempting to do Stuff(TM) about Things(c).

What is the weed money and the new video gaming bill going to go towards; anything related to our obligations on financial instruments? (Legit curious if it's going to help fund stuff, or just find a way into another dark hole somewhere). Perhaps I'm not being cynical enough by even asking that question :v:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

KDdidit posted:

Can’t wait to force NWI to join us in the state’s crusade against DST.

I saw that the bill passed the Senate and headed to the House; how likely is it that it will also pass the House?

Shameful of the article I read to not add that information.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Nail Rat posted:

I like that it's using the summer hours for all year long. That would be great right about now.

I looked at it a couple weeks ago, and was shocked to realize that we don't even use a 6-month split; CST (winter time) is only in effect for 4 months.

Why even loving bother, y'know? I really hope that bill passes. My buddy said that Oregon just did their last time change ever this month.

Which, odd they chose to stay with winter time, hmm.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Poque posted:

I think your buddy is mistaken - they passed the law but need something from the federal government to actually enact it. Once it's in place they'll be on daylight permanently rather than standard.

Not surprising; he drinks a lot. I mean, a lot. It's impressive, really.

Here's hoping it works out well for him, at any rate. gently caress changing the clocks.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

The biggest lobbies now are the outdoor furniture and charcoal/gas grill lobbies advocating for either permanent DST or at the status quo, for obvious reasons.

God bless . . . capitalism, in this one specific instance, I guess?

Zarin fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 16, 2019

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Is there any sort of central dispensary locator for the state for Jan 1 onward?

The only thing I'm finding is local papers covering the issue; Chicago has a really nice page of location information, but downstate coverage here is spotty at best.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Heath posted:

How about Peoria county?

This is actually where my original question is about! :v:

Someone was telling me that Peoria was initially against it, and Tazewell pretty much said "That's okay with us! Come on across the river, everyone!" and Peoria nigh-instantly changed their tune.

However, all I can find are lovely PJStar articles from October that mention one place that "might" be through the red tape and ready to sell by Jan 1. I texted one friend who I thought would know about this stuff, and he said he had no idea yet. I suppose I can reach out to some of my friends from the theater days and see if 1). They're still into that and 2). If they know anything. :shrug:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oracle posted:

Here ya go.

Woah, awesome. Thanks for the effortpost!

One in Peoria and one in East Peoria; not bad for a start.

Work made sure to send out an email last week reminding us all that yes, it's legal, but yes, they'll still fire ya' for it lol

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TMMadman posted:

That loving cost is just so loving dumb too.

The whole loving process is absolutely stupid because the people running it somehow believe that weed is somehow different/worse than alcohol or tobacco. You don't need 500k liquid to start up a liquor store or smoke shop, so why should you need it to start up a dispensary?

Can't (plausibly) only funnel profitable projects to your rich buddies if everyone is able to apply for a license, after all.

Edit: Alternative: If you don't have 500k liquid, you can't afford to pay a kickback up-front

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

That looks like nearly 50 years of records to me!

Was the original ask for all of those records? Or was the original request narrower, and the judge was like "no actually gently caress you lol you owe them a shitload of data now"?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

drat, a bunch of stupid bills are being put out by Ds which is leading to people complaining even more so than usual.

A new law would ban gas powered leaf blowers because of pollution created by 2/4 stroke engines.

Also, these assholes are at it again.

I don't like gas-powered leaf blowers because when I'm done using one, I smell like oil/exhaust.

I assume the bill would ban the sale of them and that any existing ones would just end up grandfathering out of existence via attrition, right?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Gonna go early vote tomorrow I'm thinkin' . . . also, it'll be my wife's first election :3: She has always been non-political but decided that wasn't an okay thing to be anymore. I guess my post-2016 anger finally got some attention or something, I dunno.

Anyway, looking at the Peoria-area ballot, most every race in the primary seems to be unopposed, except for two. Can any Peoria-area Goons weigh in?

State's Attorney:
• Jodi Hoos - I can't find a website, and everything I'm seeing is short on details. Which is weird because she's already kinda in the position.
• Chris McCall - he actually has a website, and I think I like what I'm reading. Shame he was a prosecutor, but it seems he was also a defense attorney as well, and it SOUNDS like what he wants to do is pretty good overall.

Peoria County Clerk:
• Gabriel McLeod - Apparently he really, REALLY likes making digital backups of important documents. Seems like he wants to drag the County Clerk's office into the 21st century, whether it wants to or not. Nice.
• Rachel Parker - woah, she's currently the Clerk and is getting primaried by someone in her office (the FOIA officer)!? Oh nevermind, I guess the previous one died and Rachel was appointed. I can't find anything else about her though.

Anyone have any thoughts? Am I off on any of these?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Thanks! That helped clarify a few things.

I have to admit, I'm surprised that Pekin's newspaper was that useful. Huh.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Does anyone have any sources on who/how/why voting was not postponed and moved to a vote-by-mail system later in the month?

Seems like a lot of finger-pointing and not good answers right now.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Any good places to watch the live address?

I think I watched it on ABC News 7 Chicago's site yesterday. Not sure if they'll have it again today or not (I didn't see a placeholder in the right pane on the main page so I dunno).

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oracle posted:

edit: public speakers take note: this chick practiced the poo poo out of this speech and it shows. Her delivery is excellent.

drat yeah she did. Feel bad for everyone else that had to speak today haha.

Edit: What number were we supposed to text for daily updates?

Edit2: Kinda funny that we are allowed to go for walks and hike, but parks are closed. I mean I suppose I get it, but still - not sure where I'm supposed to hike then.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 20, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Badger of Basra posted:

I mean food processing is essential or else the essential grocery stores won’t have anything to sell

I don’t think they’ll get down into the weeds enough to decide what kind of food is essential unless this gets way worse

Yeah; I'm pretty sure one of the main takeaways from the French Revolution was that if you run out of bread, you can make do with cake. But if you run out of cake, then heads will roll.

I'm not a Doctor of History yet but that's what I remember from one of those classes with the book with all the numbers that we used only the front half of (that wasn't a math class).

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Looks like several people have clipped out Emily Landon's speech from today; it's super worth a watch if have 8 minutes and you're interested in COVID-19 stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIA41ZBbCfk

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

If recreational marijuana is allowed to be open, does that mean liquor stores are also allowed? Also, if I was a liquor store owner, I would add chips for sale immediately to classify as a grocery store.

I don't think I've ever been to a liquor store that didn't have snacks for sale.

If I recall correctly, the text of the bill says something about "beverage" so I assume they can be open.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Poque posted:

Does anybody know if a request to receive a mail-in ballot for the most recent election will automatically carry forward to the November election? If it doesn't, does anybody know when the requests open so I can stick that on my calendar?

I assume it's a state thing, but here is the page for Peoria County:
https://www.peoriaelections.org/180/Obtain-Vote-by-Mail-Ballot

TL;DR: it looks like the opening for requesting it for the general election was December 2019, so looks like anytime up to 5 days before the election?

Whether your other request carried forward or not, that is an excellent question that I'm currently trying to figure out. It'd be nice if every single election just showed up in my mailbox so I could remember to vote for even the turbo-local nonsense.

Edit: It's in the second paragraph - you have to be considered disabled in order to get them to automatically show up in your mailbox. And only for a 5-year period. Weak.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

welcome posted:

If you're in Chicago you'll need to send another request but they will send you an email reminding you when ballots are available. Looks like I got my last reminder for the general in September.

Sorry to ask such a dumb question - but do you mean they will send a reminder saying "Hey, election is coming up, don't forget to sign up to vote by mail!" or do they only send the reminder if you've signed up for that election in that cycle?

Edit: lol

Zarin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 14, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

welcome posted:

The former, if you've previously signed up to vote by mail in any election, they will send an email to remind you about future elections as soon as ballots are available. Sorry for being unclear!

That's awesome!

Hopefully my area will do that as well. Gonna have to try it out this November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Zarin posted:

I assume it's a state thing, but here is the page for Peoria County:
https://www.peoriaelections.org/180/Obtain-Vote-by-Mail-Ballot

TL;DR: it looks like the opening for requesting it for the general election was December 2019, so looks like anytime up to 5 days before the election?

Oh, I misread the "how to obtain a ballot" page; the dates I said were for "general PRIMARY election".

I emailed the election commission asking why the site was broken and they told me I have to wait until August 5 to sign up for a mail-in ballot the November election.

Not sure what country you are in, ymmv, etc.