Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Orvin posted:

I know some people in the Chicago suburbs are looking to move to Indiana or Wisconsin. I know for a fact that Indiana has cheaper houses and lower net taxes (most counties have a ~1% income tax, but property taxes are way lower). I am not so sure about Wisconsin.

I know some retired people that moved to Tennessee for cheaper cost of living and less harsh winters. But retirement income isn’t taxed here or there, so it doesn’t directly equate.

I do have a co-worker who moved here from Kansas, and is super happy to be out of that state. He claims the businesses are asking for taxes to be raised, as things are falling apart. The governor won’t do it, claiming his “experiment” isn’t finished to save face.

I was raised in the Chicago suburbs, went to school in St. Louis, and currently work in Indiana. I want out of Indiana and back to Chicago. The difference is that I can see a way out for Illinois provided that the next generation doesn't gently caress up. Indiana...not so much.

It also doesn't help that I'm a minority living in Indiana because it is getting unpleasant since Trump's election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Wait, what? Indiana has a flat income tax like Illinois.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

https://theintercept.com/2018/10/22/illinois-governor-bruce-rauner-pensions/

This is eye-opening to me. I knew Rauner was a Bond villian, but this takes the cake.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Adding to the bizarre place name pronounications, there is a town called El Dorado. Locals pronounce it do-RAY-do. A co-worker who was raised there said it drive her nuts how they couldn't get the original Spanish right at all.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Friend is worried Casten might lose in IL-6 based on the lackluster tax amendment support. Thoughts?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

Thought the Illinois quiz bowl community was odd, but I have no idea what any of this means

Really? I was a member of quiz bowl in high school back in the 2000s but this is news to me.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Djarum posted:

Southern Illinois is sketchy as hell in general. I had the misfortune of going to college in Evansville, IN which is no paradise either. Since Indiana still pretends it is in the 19th century there is no alcohol on Sundays you would have to travel to Illinois to try and get booze. Let me tell you as bad as southern Indiana is and even Western Kentucky, once you cross into Southern Illinois it is a whole other level of sketch. It doesn’t even really get much better once you get towards St. Louis. That was ten plus years ago too, I can’t imagine what it is like now.

I live in Evansville right now. Planning on moving back to the Chicagoland area next year. It's gotten better but the politics still suck. At least you can buy alcohol on Sunday now, even if it's only for four hours.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

You have to bring something to the region, like renewable energy or healthcare or education. You're not going to fix southern Illinois politically speaking if you want to turn them into blue voters.

I've got a longer post but phone posting is hard.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Might as well include Bradley-Bourbonnais and Kankakee in there as well.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Wait, what is he running for?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

It's me, I'm one of the people coming back to Illinois.

Actually I moved here in 2022, but I wanted out of red state hell and move closer back to family.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

His map is wrong for Lake County unless he has some information I'm not seeing on the website.

Yes: 109,024 55.42 percent
No: 87,712 44.58 percent

EDIT: I see my confusion, it's compared to No/blank question. If you include blank, Lake County doesn't pass, it's 49.77 percent.

DTaeKim fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 14, 2022

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Lake Forest is definitely old money. There's a reason F. Scott Fitzgerald mentioned the village twice in his books. It's biggest claim to fame would be the book and movie Ordinary People.

I always characterized Highland Park as the Democratic version of Lake Forest. The two villages basically cancel each other out electorally.

DTaeKim fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 15, 2022

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

IIRC, he's from La Grange Park. I also remember reading a Patch article where his parents (or at least his mother) shared similar beliefs so the apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Looking at the local school board election here in Lake County, I noted the one Republican in my neighborhood has a yard sign out for one of the candidates. Looks like a good reason to not vote for him.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Daily Herald leans left? Could have fooled me.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I have no idea who he is and I don't want to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Jesus, and I thought you were mixing it up with Lake Forest or Winnetka.