Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Central Illinois is like living in the Deep South but with lovely food. DuPage County went more for Trump than Mississippi, though, so that doesn't say much for Chicagoland.

When does Automatic Voter Registration start? That's going to be a big help for the lesser known candidates, but it'll play hell with field operations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Are there any progressives actually running for Attorney General? I see all these skeazy guys being mentioned, but no progressives.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I've always seen Raoul work with the establishment, never the progressive Bloc.

Don't count the Democrats out on any statewide race. Susana Mendoza had no money and Kirk outspent Duckworth and they both won big.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Galena is nice if you're a married 40 something looking for a romantic weekend.

Or a big nerd who wants to see the Ulysses S Grant museum, which is pretty nice.

Here's Raoul's official announcement:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155193561772408&id=152359934814831

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Aaron Goldstein, Public Defender and The Guy Who Beat Dick Mell is the first progressive with ties to CTU, Chuy, DFA, etc. in for AG.

http://mailchi.mp/438182f9f266/im-in?e=93b279d9f4

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

KodiakRS posted:

So what happens when the gentrification of Chicago eventually cranks rent prices up to San Francisco levels and the middle class all bails to Texas and the southern US? Can a state declare bankruptcy?

Most of the city is still affordable, and large areas are mostly vacant. The South and West sides are losing thousands of people a year.

Rents are going up in the small parts of the city where white people from the suburbs want to live.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Of course Larry Suffredin is a Goon.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
All Madigan or Pritzker have to say is "Madigan was here when we weren't losing jobs, too" and run it 100 times a day.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Niwrad posted:

He supported and/or was behind every major piece of legislation that torpedoed the state.

The state wasn't torpedoed in 1987, or '94, or even 2001.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I feel like Carrie Austin has to have smacked his stupid face a few times in private when he keeps loving up.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Biss has a new ad on facebook, it looks like it has a 30 second version for broadcast, too.

https://www.facebook.com/DanielBiss/videos/vb.18728922803/10155294942717804

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Luis Gutierrez isn't running for re-election. The official announcement is at 1 today, with Chuy Garcia, so the assumption is that Gutierrez is going to endorse Chuy and get the base minimum of signatures by the deadline next week.

Carlos Rosa is definitely running, and probably Omar Aquino, Joe Moreno, or George Cardenas.

Chuy and Cardenas are from the Southwest Side, the other 3 from the Northwest Side (Moreno's from Logan Square, that doesn't really count)

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
A lot of people on Twitter think it has to do with the situation in Puerto Rico. He spends as much time there as he does in Chicago, he probably wants to spend more time helping the people there.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Gutierrez is Joe Berrios with better PR.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Bobby Rush's petitions were completely awful, Howard Brookins just filed to challenge him. Watch Rush "retire" rather than get kicked off the ballot.

https://twitter.com/thedailylinechi/status/937714816315207680

Rush was great in the past, but now he's just a senile old man who does what he's told.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The Trib was always run by rich white suburbanites who are scared of minorities. Trump getting elected has made them feel more comfortable about it.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It's challenge day!
Keep track of who's being challenged here:

http://www.elections.il.gov/ElectionInformation/CandidateFilingSearchByOffice.aspx?ID=%2fdyYy%2bevhbU%3d

https://www.cookcountyclerk.com/content/candidate-filing

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Man_of_Teflon posted:

But isn't the total tax assessment a set amount?

I don't think it's that total amount that is in question here, it's just the awful distribution of that burden (expensive properties underpaying, cheap properties overpaying).

The assessment is the value of the property, and the levy (done by the County Treasurer) is when they determine what rate everyone's taxed at. So the assessment sets the unequal burden.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Patti Blagojevich put out a statement that the conversation was one that they were prevented from using in court, so it can't be that bad.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
All I want is for Kennedy to win Madigan's district, which covers Beverly and Evergreen Park.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
There are a few different proposals for a financial transaction tax.

The one I like best exempts people who make less than 1000 trades a day, so it helps alleviate the problems of high-frequency trading and won't hurt small investors.

The economic arguments are bs - Tokyo got rid of its tax in an attempt to lure investors back and it didn't work. (I think Hong Kong has a financial transaction tax, too). London's exchange merged with the NYSE and they actually moved people to London, despite their tax.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
People will vote for it if it lowers taxes for themselves. Pritzker & Madigan are smart enough to drop the middle bracket to 4% and sell it as "a 25% reduction in taxes for most of the state"

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Does anyone know anything about Fritz Kaegi? He is running for Cook County Assessor as a Democrat, trying to unseat Berrios. Just got a mailer about an event, and it is like three blocks away from me. Tempted to go, but I'm not going to bother if he sucks. I'm ready to vote for nearly anyone who is not Berrios though.

He's really good. He knows a lot about municipal finance and is running because he cares about the office, not just getting Berrios out.

He's also gaining strength with endorsements, I think Berrios is going to be the sacrificial lamb to make people think real change is happening, like with Anita Alvarez in 2016.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The 42nd ward (Gold coast, Streeterville, River North) voted for Rauner over Quinn, I'm sure they'd rather have him than Biss. Don't know about downstate though.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The problem with Pritzker is that he brought in a bunch of the corrupt machine politicians right as he announced. So he's perfectly fine with them and what they are doing.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
drat, I voted Biss because I thought he was doing better than Kennedy and could beat Pritzker.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
They don't have Pritzker money, but it's still 3 extremely ambitious wealthy women who have more money than they know what to do with.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Anthony Clark is great but Danny Davis is still awesome, unlike Bobby Rush, who's a machine stooge now.

You can't go wrong, either way you still have someone good in the seat.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Quinn and Rotering are both solid picks.

Raoul is the machine pick, even though he's really qualified I can't vote for him.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Goldstein has great ideas but I live in the 33rd Ward. He made huge promises when he became committeeman about opening up the party and then didn't do anything.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I was in Oak Brook and saw a house with an Ives sign next to a Sameena Mustafa sign. Not sure what's up with that, or which ballot they pulled.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Wheaton gets major credit for being the home of John Belushi.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Just the nastiness involved in this year's race for the 3rd Congressional District should fill a role playing campaign.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Does that make Madigan a Ventrue vampire?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
To be fair, this is the hardest Pritzker has ever worked in his life.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

I met Kina Collins volunteering for Sameena Mustafa, and that woman is really impressive.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
We could go full RoboCop and privatize the police.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The 33rd Ward alderman's race is going to get a lot better if Blago's back.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
But it'll kill Sean Casten's chance to beat Pete Roskam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Because he's sticking it to those "Chicago Democrats" (minorities)