Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

I want to see it happen but I do think a ton of the rich assholes would flee to Indiana since it isn't that much further away from the loop than they already live

If they were going to do that they already would have. Likewise, they would have all fled NYC for Newark, and the Twin Cities for Wisconsin. (The border is about 20 miles from St Paul.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I saw JB a couple weeks ago in Rogers Park where he was calling to amend the Constitution to allow a progressive income tax.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

Which is funny, since New York (as well as Federal) public employees have 100% of their government pension excluded, as well as 100% of their Social Security Benefits. Of course, going to a no-tax state like FL, TX, WA, WY, etc. means nothing at all (including interest, dividends, partnership and s-corporation income, etc.) is taxable by the state (although income earned in other states are still taxable by those states).

Generally government employees don't get Social Security, they get their pension instead.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

I believe it's dependent on whether the wages were exempt from Social Security, which was pretty much phased out in 1984 so unless you were working prior to 1984 and are subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision and/or the Government Pension Offset (the last provision is the more likely to hose some nowadays), you can get both a government pension and Social Security Benefits (I personally prepare a number of number of client returns with both).

Edit: Pretty much railroad employees are the only (quasi)-governmental employees that get fully exempt from Social Security contributions (due to the higher contributions they make into the railroad retirement plans), as far as I'm aware.

Not Illinois government employees. No teachers, police, or firefighters are covered by Social Security.
Sources: My wife's a teacher and she only started in 2004. I know a few firefighters and they only pay into the state retirement system as well (I helped with their taxes and their W-2s have 0 Social Security contributions).

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Orvin posted:

Best I can tell, it’s referring to the tax hike the general assembly passed last year. Since it is democratic controlled, that is how it is being attributed to him.

Which passed with at least 10 GOP votes to override Rauner's veto.

BUT MADIGAN

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I can't find the study, conservatives love to moan about taxes but it's never been shown to have an effect on migration. It's balanced out by the quality of life issues. It's how people in the burbs complain about traffic and talk about moving to the country but never do.

As an example, I know someone who moved to Indiana to buy a bigger house, but then moved back when her husband got sick because the closest Level 1 hospital in Indiana is in South Bend, because Indiana doesn't fund those. That's one anecdotal example, but even with all the decay, Chicago and Cook County has far more basic amenities than most places with lower taxes.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Go phone bank or knock some doors!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I don't think he knew what he was walking into. I know people poo poo hard on him but Daley hosed the finances of the city up so bad that no one can possibly save it.

He spent 8 years blowing money on vanity projects and not doing a thing to work on finances.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
A lot of Greens are racist honkies who are in denial, and also hate mainstream culture.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I mean, in a just world that would mean several charges, including operating without a license and maybe contempt of court. But Chicago is not a just world, soooo

If they're filling an appeal, then the judgement was probably stayed pending appeal.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If you register on election day they give you a provisional ballot which only gets counted if there's a close race.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The cynical side of me thinks they put retention votes on the ballot to make it long and confusing to keep voter participation down.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Same with me but this is the first year in over a decade where there have been democratic candidates running in over half of the elections.

They will probably still lose but it is a first step (my county is so loving Republican, only 25% or so supported Jesse White in the last election he ran in).

I think the fact that there are more down-ballot Democrats is a good sign for Pritzker and Raoul.

And the psychological effect for Democrats out there to see they aren't alone is nice.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Outright lies worked for Trump and Lipinski, why shouldn't Rauner do it?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Indiana has a progressive tax, so it's cheaper for anyone making more than ~$75,000 to live in Illinois.

That's why all the rich suburbs are in Illinois, not like NYC with the rich suburbs in Connecticut, or Philly with Delaware.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

All state and most local referenda in IL are "advisory"; i.e., they don't directly result in legislation (like voter props do in CA if they pass) but rather are a way to express sentiments among voters to legislators.

In addition, there is a maximum number of referenda that can be placed on the ballot ( I think it's 3 citywide, 2 countywide, 1 or 2 just for a ward, etc.)

So if there's a controversial referendum someone wants to put on, the establishment will quickly put some non controversial items on, to fill up all the slots.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If these Pritzker staff were so upset about the racism on the campaign, why didn't they quit with Kina Collins during the primary? I saw her speak (a couple of months ago, before the lawsuit) and she said there was a climate of racism when she was there

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
That's true, but it's the timing. Did something happen to finally push them over the edge? With the end in sight, it's not like an abused partner who needs to get out, because it could go forever.

Also, they could quit now and file the suit later.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The sheer number of judges up for retention is such a slog to get through and a waste of time, since no judge has ever lost a retention election.

I've had at least 2 people tell me they didn't want to vote because the last time they did it was too much to get through the judges.

But maybe the establishment wants to scare off voters.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The richer the Republican, the crazier they are. I guess it's because they're so insulated from any negative effects of Trump's policies.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

borkencode posted:

Would be a real shame to click on them, and have whatever PAC is buying them spend a few bucks.

I've been doing that and now I get the really crazy ads.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Some of the Rs in the state legislature who broke with Rauner to pass a budget seem pretty solid.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
What's the saying, never ascribe something to malice when incompetence is more likely?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Look at the murderer's row of establishment douchebags on his transition team:

TRANSITION COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Chair, Lieutenant Governor-elect Juliana Stratton

Co-Chair, Barbara Bowman

Co-Chair, Mike Carrigan

Co-Chair, Former Governor Jim Edgar

Co-Chair, Sol Flores

Co-Chair, Marty Nesbitt

TRANSITION COMMITTEE STAFF

Chief of Staff, Anne Caprara

Transition Director, Nikki Budzinski

Deputy Transition Director, Sean Rapelyea

Senior Advisor, Former Comptroller Dan Hynes

Senior Advisor, State Representative Christian Mitchell

Senior Advisor, Michael Sacks

Counsel, Jesse Ruiz

I'm still applying for a job.

https://www.jbpritzker.com/jb-pritzker-announces-transition-committee-and-chief-of-staff/

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The criminal courts have a huge backlog, and I'm sure a good number of those are small-time pot charges. Legalization could help shorten waiting times and overcrowding at Cook County Jail.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

ArgaWarga posted:

Personally I think licenses for growers and sellers should be given to those with weed convictions previously along with full exoneration but that will never happen.

Christan Mitchell has been talking a lot about how marijuana legalization needs to address affected communities, and he's in the transition team. So it will probably be considered in some way, but who knows what will happen.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Pissed off state workers probably cost Quinn the election.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Amara is a total fake. She didn't get challenged, she never filed her signatures because she didn't collect enough.

She then endorsed Bob Fioretti. She also endorsed Chris Kennedy, who was the only Democratic candidate against a $15 minimum wage.

She worked for Daley, too and, her nonprofits were funded by Machine insiders.

And then there's Kanye.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
She says a lot of progressive things and has never actually acted on any of them during her entire career.

Literally none.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
In terms of pure competence, Mendoza is the best candidate by far.

Unfortunately, she's pretty conservative for Chicago, and she's always worked closely with the establishment.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Speaking of Mendoza and Amara:

https://twitter.com/kylehillman/status/1067256414379360256

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Federal agents took over Ed Burke's office today.

https://twitter.com/CarolMarin/status/1068175257939443712?s=19

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
A couple of people have pointed out that his firm wasn't raided. Just his campaign office and the finance committee office.

So probably just standard Chicago corruption. I hope he takes down a bunch of machine hacks with him.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I feel like there has to be a better way to get people on the ballot. Aren't most of these bad signatures just people campaigns hire and pay by the signature who just make poo poo up?

The field staff are supposed to go through the sheets to make sure the signatures are good. The party even has a program to check signatures online so they don't have to go to the Board of Elections.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Dexo posted:

2. Also since they wouldn't have any info on his signatures, they likely only had the areas he was canvassing and went around asking people if they signed a petition for dude and then asked if they would sign an revocation. People have garbage memories, or have likely signed a ton of petitions for politicians this time frame.

You get a week to review your opponents' signatures, so they had his list.

They might have done it because if conservative gets on and suddenly gets a 2 million dollar donation from Rauner, Ken Griffin, or Dick Uhlein he has a chance to win.

Niwrad posted:

Why would anyone pay for a subscription to the Tribune anymore?

https://twitter.com/CTGuild/status/1071149285289459714

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The pension crisis idea is being pushed by the same people who claimed Social Security would run out when the Baby Boomers started to retire in 2015. And Social Security is still as solvent as it's ever been.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Neal Sales-Griffin is a leftist tech nerd, so he's the Gooniest candidate.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Amara gives great speeches but hasn't done a progressive thing in her life.

She says she's against the cop academy but never showed up to an action.

She says she wants schools to stay open but never said or did anything about the fight to keep the Englewood high schools and NTA open (especially since she's an attorney). She didn't say or do a thing about new charter schools opening in Austin even though she's the president of the Austin Chamber of Commerce.

She says she wants a Universal Basic Income but refused to meet with Ameya Pawar's working group. (Before he started running for City Treasurer.)

She endorsed Bob Fioretti over Chuy Garcia and Chris Kennedy over Daniel Biss.

She may be a progressive, but she isn't interested in actually doing the hard work to make things happen.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 9, 2019

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
LaRaviere was at No Cop Academy actions before he quit, too. A lot of Aldermanic candidates showed up, too.

I didn't know she was involved with the NTA fight, which is cool.

But the charter statements are exactly what bothers me about her - she talked about them when she was running for office, and then said nothing for 4 years.

Same with the school closings -she sat in on meetings but then couldn't get anything done.

I just feel like Amara says a lot of great things and doesn't follow through. And if she becomes mayor, will she actually push progressive policies through City Council?

I was supporting Ja'mal Green until he got kicked off the ballot. I really like Lori Lightfoot, except she was on the police board. I think I'll see who Ja'mal endorses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Why not both?