Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Bobulus posted:

"Officers responded to alarms from businesses inside the University Mall located at 1237 East Main Street. As officers were arriving, several vehicles were seen leaving from the south side of the parking lot near JC Penny’s."

Uh, did officers not think maybe to go over and see what's up with those vehicles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Oracle posted:

And yes Mahomet sucks their latest dick move is halting building all new apartment construction to make sure the 'right kind' of people are moving in.

Do they say "Chicago people" and it's totally clear to everyone what they actually mean by that?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

In Clay county, Tactical Vest Darren Bailey’s lawsuit will return to court this afternoon. (Yesterday, his lawyer is putting a lawsuit saying that school guidance like wearing masks are unconstitutional).

The Clay County GOP is having a get together at their office where they are offering drinks and air conditioning. Studies have shown that air conditioning helps spreads the virus.

Bailey is returning from Florida for this court case (they just announced 10,000 new cases in the last 24 hours) but his doctor says he is fine cause he was only there for 48 hours and he has no symptoms.

This region is so stupid.

Time to build a wall along I-80.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Oh hey, look at that.
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/0...wDKclqrqVON15t8

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
I think the DuPage County dashboard seems pretty good too, for what that's worth.

https://www.dupagehealth.org/610/DuPage-County-COVID-19-Dashboard

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

WescottF1 posted:

Wisconsin's governor announced mandatory masks in indoor public places starting Saturday. I live in the Rockford area and a lot of people around here go up there to shop because they don't like wearing a mask. Others go up to places like Lake Geneva and party it up in crowds every weekend.

You can imagine the pearl clutching going on on Facebook right now.

Although I'd expect that Wisconsin's insane GOP will sue immediately, and take it to their insane SC, which will inevitably overturn the order.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

LabyaMynora posted:

OTOH USPS is cheaper... so hard to get into the boomer mind and figure out if cheapness overrides racism or the other way around. :thunk:

Their ideological forebears were so committed to racism that they preferred to built two sets of bathrooms and drinking fountains rather than share. Racism is first and foremost.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Our district (in DuPage) recently released its plan for in-person return, with an option to do all-virtual (the choice could then be revisited at the trimester). My wife and I ultimately decided to opt for all-virtual, and our kids were basically okay with this. A large part of our decision was based on an assumption that there was no way an in-person return could be sustained, especially since it's a semi-large district and we're in the largest of the elementary schools. Very few families opted for virtual, meaning that the schools were going to be pretty much at full capacity, except somehow distanced. The school board is meeting tomorrow to reassess, and I'm about 95% certain they're going to pull the plug on the in-person return.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Hey, Champaign-Urbana! Guess what two weeks into your future looks like!

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

dwarf74 posted:

I'm less worried about UofI given how they developed their own state of the art test and everything.

Then again it may make students feel more invincible and be seen as a green light for giant parties so who knows.

I'm reminded of the bit from Arrested Development:
"Well, did it work for those people?"
"No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but... but it might work for us."

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
In other news, I think now is as good a time as any to refresh the fact that this idiot and coward has, as far as I can tell, never returned to update his deeply stupid series on how much better Florida was doing compared to Illinois:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opin...v634-story.html

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Not suggesting anything one way or the other, but at least on the Presidential level your vote might be better-spent in Texas.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Eeyo posted:

Why would they call it a “fair tax”?

Because progressive taxation is fair.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Sarcastro of two weeks ago posted:

Hey, Champaign-Urbana! Guess what two weeks into your future looks like!

Not that, I think, this was any great stretch here.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
I feel like we're finally finding out why Lisa quit politics all of a sudden.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Eeyo posted:

I got a pamphlet with the proposed changes and an argument for/against in the mail from the Secretary of State. Do they always send out a pamphlet?

I don't know if they always do, but I definitely remember getting those previously for other significant ballot issues/proposed Constitutional amendments. Based on that I'd guess they probably do always send those out.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Neo_Crimson posted:

It was less than 10% of Bernie primary voters, I don't that that qualifies as a significant portion of the electorate.

Sure, but from what I can find in six seconds of Googling, Bernie got 570,000 votes in the Democratic primary, 10% of which would be 57,000, in a state Trump ultimately won by 23k votes. I also don't think it's necessarily true that the Bernie-to-Trump voters actually made that difference, but given how slim Trump's victories actually were in the states that tipped the EC to him, I can't fully discount it.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Zarin posted:

Fake edit: I'm not sure what state you are referring to, and I have no idea if their primaries are open. Just spitballing.

I was referring to Wisconsin, which for some reason I'd thought had entered the conversation already. Not sure where I got that from, looking back. I guess the only point is that the 10% figure chosen would have made the difference in Wisconsin. I didn't do the same math for the other two states that ended up mattering.

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 16, 2020

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

xzzy posted:

Though really 2020 should be rewriting just about every apocalypse fiction trope out there. If we make it that far I can't wait to see what kind of movies we get out of it in 10 years.

I had the thought recently when re-reading Neal Stephenson's Seveneves that no "approaching apocalypse" book/show/movie going forward will seem complete unless it has a large segment of society simply denying that the problem exists.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

dwarf74 posted:

I have absolutely no idea why our locals are so up in arms against the fair tax here in Central IL.

It's a bill that basically going to target people in Chicago and the suburbs for higher tax rates due to higher incomes up there, while people downstate will reap the benefits. But they still hate it.

Libertarian billionaires have done a number on the locals.

Spent some time this morning arguing with someone in this vein - the disinformation job the anti- side has pulled is impressive even by modern standards.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

dwarf74 posted:

Ditto, over the past few days.

It's disheartening.

It's just a graduated tax. And most of the arguments against it are describing things they can do right now

They can raise your taxes whenever they want? Yes, they can do that now. Don't trust Springfield politicians? They will still be there. The state's finances are bad? Yes, this is to help fix it.

Yeah, that's the hardest part - they've been convinced that right now the legislature/governor couldn't raise anyone's taxes (uh, yes they can) and after this they could (yes, but it would no longer have to be everyone's taxes. A lot of it seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding of how marginal taxes work in the first place. I have, at least for the moment, gotten the person to shut up or hopefully achieve a breakthrough moment by pointing out that right this moment, the legislature could raise Oprah's* taxes but they'd have to also raise yours in order to do it, whereas if the measure passes, they could raise hers without raising yours. We'll see.

* used only as an example of a rich Illinois person, and I honestly can't remember if Oprah has moved elsewhere in the years since her show ended, but anyone else could be plugged in if needed.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

xzzy posted:

Don't forget they were already debating what to amend the constitution with before they even finished ratifying it.

And that the Constitution was a second draft in the first place after they failed extremely hard with the Articles of Confederation.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Yeah, they're non-binding. I voted this morning and did "No" to the first and "Yes" to the latter two. (edit: oh, and "Yes" on the progressive tax as well)

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 19, 2020

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Bird in a Blender posted:

How come I feel like the Fair Tax Amendment is just like Brexit. If it fails, the general assembly is probably going to pass a tax hike for the entire state. Then you'll have a whole bunch of people going, "what, they can raise my taxes? But I voted No!".

I, for one, am already planning to openly laugh at these people and dish out a lot of "told you so"s. The propaganda job the anti-side did here was truly amazing in how thoroughly it's convinced a number of people to directly vote against their interest.

Nothing funnier than driving past a gargantuan house in Oak Brook recently and seeing their big sign out front saying "VOTE NO, because we can't afford another tax hike."

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

brugroffil posted:

There's still going to be more than enough demand loss that they'll struggle to survive

Plus they and their employees will be guaranteed to get sick and make it harder to operate at all. So great job, restauranteurs! Way to think ahead.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Bird in a Blender posted:

Imagine hating your son-in-law so much you form a conspiracy to get him sent to jail.

Although when that son-in-law is Blago, honestly... I get it.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
This was posted over in the Polls thread - encouraging to see Underwood listed as "Likely D," Bustos as "Lean D," and Davis as "R Toss-up."
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1323262040555900932

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Source4Leko posted:

Underwood is my rep. I think she'll be back in. The district has been trending blue for a long while tbh.

I'm glad for it! (Next door in the 6th here) I have to imagine/hope that Oberweis fatigue plays a role as well. When the gently caress can we finally, finally be rid of that rear end in a top hat?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Source4Leko posted:

Oberweis has kinda turned into a joke with how many times he's lost races. Isn't he a stare rep or something now? He's getting onto the age he should be moving to Florida for a nice safe GOP seat to represent all the other retirees that have moved too.

Yeah, he is (or state sen., I forget and don't want to spend even one moment on him finding out).

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

DTaeKim posted:

Friend is worried Casten might lose in IL-6 based on the lackluster tax amendment support. Thoughts?

I'm not going to stake out many certain positions this time for obvious reasons and remaining 2016 PTSD, but this would be such a shocking result that literally no pundits anywhere have predicted it.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
I had been sweating Casten earlier in the evening, but as more and more comes in it's looking better. Hopefully by the morning Ives will be back in hell whence she came.

Really sucks about what looks like defeat for the progressive tax. Enjoy your across-the-board tax hike that we non-millionaires could have avoided, everybody! Great loving job as usual.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
The Tribune article does say that the current vote totals for Underwood and Oberweis do NOT include mail-in ballots (via drop box on Election Day, received on Election Day, or late-arriving but postmarked by Election Day, or provisionally-cast ballots. So there's I guess potentially a chance, although I can't imagine that it's a great chance since these are probably far fewer than that. I don't know.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/poli...bpxq-story.html

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
That's awesome. On the downside, Oberweis is lovely enough that he's going to live to be a hundred and six, and he's going to continue running for office(s) until the very end. We are never going to be rid of this pest until that point.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Deathlove posted:

Probably, so, yeah, worth it. Even a minimum of oversight to just not relicense at a certain address for a year or whatever would be worth it, but who knows how legal that is.

I am 100% certain that the power of state workers to, when necessary for the good of the land, proceed incredibly slowly with something can be harnessed for good this time around.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Feels like that time in The Wire when his fellow politicos started telling Clay Davis "you're on your own" in front of his trial. (Of course, he skated by, so pending on whether this is the best comparison.)

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Ha, that's awesome.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Speaking of, look who else we're never ever going to loving be rid of:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-lauren-underwood-oberweis-challenge-20210105-7gf3u7fovjfedlxaiiu2gp6kfm-story.html

"Alleging voting irregularities, state Sen. Jim Oberweis contests Rep. Lauren Underwood’s reelection in U.S. House"

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Strangely, the same people did not seem to be upset last week when a Capitol police officer was killed by insurrectionists. No pictures of badges with black bars. No solemn posts about supporting the police. Just ignored.

Yes, I haven't seen a single performance of the usual "end of watch" solemnity play from any of them. Nary a mention of the officer they killed, not even when they're blaming the whole thing on ANTIFA. Isn't it odd.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Well yeah, and why the gently caress would you want to stick around after having been deposed? Nothing good could come of that (plus he's, uh, probably going to have some legal stuff to focus on for a good long while).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Pontius Pilate posted:

Keep oberweis around forever imo, why risk a republican who might actually win?

Because he actually did win in a state district and we shouldn't take the chance of enough stupid people coming together like that again!