Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's the classic rural/urban divide only really accentuated because Illinois only has one real city but it's a loving huge and important city, so of course all the conservative rural people are angry that the enormous city is more important and has greater influence than the sparsely-populated and economically-depressed rural regions.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TMMadman posted:

The I&M Shipping Canal was finished in 1948 (and later the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal which of course reversed the river in 1900) had a major impact on the railroads deciding to connect to Chicago and is a large reason for the population explosion since it also allowed for more than just subsistence farming around the city.

Also Chicago got big in the first place because it was the most convenient port where railroads crossing the Mississippi (allowing access to the Western US) met shipping on the Great Lakes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
As well, an accurate assessment would likely significantly inflate Chicago's overall property value (because the real estate that is undervalued is the really expensive real estate) and justify the city raising a larger sum from property taxation, which would disproportionately be levied on the more expensive real estate compared to current levies. Even though it's a revenue-determined flat tax, the actual enforcement makes it not only regressive in the way a flat tax is, but significantly more regressive than that because of the undervaluing of expensive and overvaluing of inexpensive properties. From the current situation, even moving to an actual flat tax with proper assessment (and subsequently being able to accurately raise the level of taxation to increase revenue) would be a significant improvement.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The way I read it is a multi-step process:

1) both the House and the Senate have to approve the same amendment with a 3/5 majority
2) then it appears on the ballot for statewide referendum
3) then one of two things has to happen: either 50% +1 of all voters in the election have to approve it; OR 3/5 of all voters who choose to vote on that question have to approve it (so if only half the voters fill that question out, then you need 3/5s of them. If every voter fills it out, you only need 50% +1).
4) then it becomes a full amendment because the governor can't veto it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 14, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Here's a super Chicago story for you:

quote:

This is a story about how hot dogs and money are made, Chicago-style.

Nine months after Ald. Edward M. Burke led the Chicago City Council in approving a nearly $5 million tax deal for Vienna Beef to buy a vacant factory in Bridgeport in 2013, Burke’s law firm got a new client — Vienna Beef.

It hired the alderman’s law firm to push for property tax cuts on the factory site.

And Burke’s firm got results. It got Vienna’s property taxes slashed by an average of 70 percent over the next two years, arguing to Cook County Assessor Joseph Berrios and the Cook County Board of Review that cuts were merited because the factory wasn’t operating while renovations were underway. That saved Chicago’s biggest hot dog maker a total of $308,460, a Chicago Sun-Times analysis has found.

On top of that, records show Burke’s firm won a refund of $135,602 of property taxes Vienna had paid when it bought the factory at 1000 W. Pershing Rd., where Sara Lee Corp. used to make Best’s kosher hot dogs.

Klafter & Burke — a small law firm that specializes in property-tax work — was paid an undisclosed percentage of the money it saved Vienna on taxes, according to Vienna president John “Jack” Bodman, whose father is the company’s biggest shareholder.

“They did a nice job for us,” Bodman says. “When the assessor came in with a really high number, he got it down for us. He got us an appropriate tax bill.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-politics/burke-benefits-chicago-style-from-vienna-hot-dog-deals/

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 14, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I assume he means Biss.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Local UFO Enthusiast and Believer in Ghosts Endorses Chris Kennedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7jclPo28fY

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

At least after today we get a break from political ads, right? Right? :shepicide:

Get ready for six straight months of ads about how Pritzker hid his money offshore and therefore anything he ever says about tax reform is hypocritical.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Sun-Times has called it for Pritzker, unsurprisingly

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ego-bot posted:

So who was the least lovely choice for the next Democratic governor, Biss?

Biss was far from perfect but at least he wasn't a billionaire.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Rauner-Ives is 52-48 right now, that's a lot closer than I would have predicted

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

withoutclass posted:

http://abc7chicago.com/amp/politics/group-pushes-for-state-of-illinois-to-secede-from-chicago/3566099/

I know they're phrasing it like Illinois needs to get away from Chicago but isn't it more likely to benefit Chicago?

Any time downstate wants to secede from Chicago it's basically them saying "we would rather be poorer if it means Democrats aren't in charge."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

xzzy posted:

It's one of those things where you want to let them do it just to demonstrate what a stupid idea it is, but the paperwork to get it done is prohibitive and not worth the eventual smug feeling.

The smug feeling is not worth two additional Republican senators.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

I want to see it happen but I do think a ton of the rich assholes would flee to Indiana since it isn't that much further away from the loop than they already live

I'm not sure even low taxes could entice rich people to live in Gary, Indiana.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 14, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

esquilax posted:

Taxing pension payouts at the same 5% as everyone else is not a solution. $2.6b per year in extra revenue versus $250b in unfunded pension liability.

It helps but it will take a lot more than that

Here I got us 12% of the way there

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

twice burned ice posted:

10 Pritzker staffers file suit alleging racial discrimination and harassment

This dumb mother fucker. He's gonna loving blow it because he can't stop being a waspy gently caress for even a minute.

I swear to God if we're stuck with Rauner because JB decided that being a billionaire wasn't enough and just had to make Illinois his playground, I will be so loving livid.

tbf you should also blame Democratic primary voters for responding to a popular sentiment that we've had enough of this evil multimillionaire governor by saying okay, how would you like this evil billionaire as governor instead?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
A lot of actual Nazis in actual 1930s Nazi Germany weren't vitriolically anti-Semitic. They didn't vote for the Nazis because the Nazis would kill Jews, they voted for other reasons. But they key thing that made them Nazis was that they just didn't care about Germany's Jews. Vitriolic anti-Semitism and the systematic expulsion of Jews from public life and eventually their extermination wasn't a dealbreaker as long as the parts of the Nazi platform that benefited ethnic Germans got enacted. So they rationally assessed the policies on offer and voted for Hitler.

Similarly, rationally assessing the policies on offer and voting for the Republicans because you benefit from some parts of their platform and just don't care about their treatment of women, people of colour, and sexual minorities makes you a horrible person and probably someone who would have fallen in line behind Hitler in 1930s Germany. The Republicans Party of 2018 is full of actual monsters.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Remember when MIGF was convinced that Rauner was going to be president

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also despite losing the governor and senate races in Florida, the most important vote there passed and now 1.4 million former felons are re-enfranchised which could make a huge difference in future elections.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

“Instead I think we’ll focus on what it takes to balance a budget right away,” he said when asked when he’ll introduce a proposal. “We’ve got to work with the legislature and listen to people. Because we’ve got to get 60 percent of the House and the Senate to support a constitutional amendment and then 60 percent of the people of the state to vote for it. And so in order for that to happen we need to make sure that all the ideas are incorporated here. Including the ideas of Republicans.”

No you don't you disingenuous motherfucker you have veto-proof supermajorities in the House and Senate, you don't have to do anything Republicans want ever. God damnit.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

brugroffil posted:

https://twitter.com/craignewman/status/1060738178699718657

The last time the Democrats had this much power in Illinois, their main rival was the Whig PArty

Great, cool, glad to hear that in this situation the governor-elect is talking about how what's really important for him is getting Republican buy-in

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

LLSix posted:

Wait, doesn't that imply Rauner likes Pritzker better than he likes Ives? Since he didn't bow out and let her run even though he didn't want to?

Billionaires look after each other, so yes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 14, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Niwrad posted:

If you want to get mad, read through this thread. Its from other people Van Dyke abused on the job who testified at his sentencing.

https://twitter.com/agrimm34/status/1086309036319010818

https://twitter.com/agrimm34/status/1086345218297905153

Based on this I now know that the foolproof way to get away with anything as a police officer is to beat someone until they're blind.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 14, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Orvin posted:

Is there a downside to the Chicago area if it were to be split off into its own state?

Not that any of this would happen, but would Indiana try to force their Northwest counties (Lake, Jasper, Porter) into the new state? When I used to work in Indiana, the people who live there say the rest of Indiana hates that those counties are so tied to Chicago.

I think the downside comes long-term from there being two more Republican Senators in Washington passing regressive legislation that affects the whole country including Chicago.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
e: never mind, answered elsewhere

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 19, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

why should it pay for that?

because actually the state should pay for all medical procedures including this one.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Volkerball posted:

what about botox

hmm yes botox and gender reassignment surgery, these are comparable medical procedures

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dukket posted:

-I assume it would have to be approved by congress.
-It would be in the courts for years and years.
-I'm guessing it would be a weird patchwork of counties that just wouldn't work.

Ignoring all of that is there any reason to not allow it? Politics (and sarcasm) aside, what would be the pros/cons for each half?

Its not like it'd be the first time a state split over political differences.

It's just downstate saying "we would rather be poorer as long as liberals aren't in charge". That's the pros/cons right there. And it isn't even like this is some uniquely Illinois problem, the division between poor conservative rural areas and rich liberal urban areas is pretty universal across the entire country. The only reason it seems so pronounced in Illinois is because Chicago is such a big city that it completely dominates the rest of the state, and the state lacks any other major urban areas, so the division seems more extreme than elsewhere.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zarin posted:

This username/post combo is :discourse:

For content: I work in an office, and there are certain promotional jumps that require a piss test. Will these new laws make those go away? Or will things like that still be left up to company discretion? I'm guessing the latter, but my (Canadian) buddy said that except for heavy equipment use, their legalization made things like that go away.

I suppose it doesn't matter much to me; I haven't even tried pot yet. (Yeah, yeah, I was some kinda square in High School). I'll get around to it eventually. I expect, if nothing else, I'll spend the bulk of retirement baked as hell (mostly because I'm sure my liver won't tolerate drinking anymore by that point).

Worth mentioning that in Canada legalization was a federal thing, whereas I'm sure in the US if employers want to keep piss-testing they can just say they're doing it with regards to federal rather than state law.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 14, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Lyons being "Lions" is up there for me too.