Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
I was born and raised 30 minutes from Effingham towards Indiana. A local guy just announced a run for State Representative complaining about the increased income taxes. He's running as a Democrat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
I've been helping out my local Democratic Party deep in rural Republican IL-15. We've somehow had a solid roster of decent Democrats running for most every seat and enthusiasm seems through the roof. It won't make much of a difference down here, but I can only imagine how much impact it will have upstate.

The only good thing about JB being on the ballot is the amount of money he's spreading to every local committee. We are flush with cash compared to the Republicans and are getting some financial support for GOTV for the first time in decades.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug

lol one of the co-sponsors is my state rep. There's always one bill of this nature floating around each session.

I live in Crawford County, one of the southern IL green counties. I always wonder how Jasper County contributes more to the state than normal.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Bad news: my county had a 1 cent sales tax proposal to be used for school building and maintenance funding. Due to having two major interstates running through it, it was estimated to bring in $5.2 million a year and mostly from travelers through the area. All of the other neighboring counties have passed one and it has benefitted their schools immensely. It lost here because people are stupid and MUH TAXES!

I have been doing academic research on that sales tax for grad school and your county will never pass that tax. You guys even had some organized supporters this time around. It's simply too conservative, even for downstate.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
Apparently, some Republicans in Florida want Jim Oberweis to drop from IL-14 and run for a vacant safe-R seat in FL-19. On top of that, Rubio will be in Oak Brook for a fundraiser Friday with Oberweis. No GOP candidate has announced yet for FL-19, so maybe he's going to carpetbag his way to Florida to finally get a seat.

https://www.politico.com/newsletter...pit-stop-487505

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

It is the only place in Jasper County to be exact.

Can confirm.

I know a couple of people in Newton. There's already talk of a primary challenge next cycle. Poor guy.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
On the marijuana chat, the high cost of applying for and opening a dispensary is super limiting to most of downstate.

I've been casually collecting a list of how communities and counties are reacting to legalization, i.e. taxing or banning.

The stereotype of downstate being opposed to marijuana is simply wrong. A large number of suburbs are opposed while a large number of downstate communities are taxing it. Most of these towns will never have a dispensary, which might account for their support. They're just leaving the door open.

Here are some downstate communities taxing the businesses: Olney, Lawrenceville, Mount Carmel, Princeton, Columbia, Effingham, Altamont, Harrisburg, Jerseyville, Peru, Taylorville, Metropolis, and Lincoln are all on board.

At my current count, taxing communities outweigh bans 188-111, and counties are 42-13 (with 9 taxing and banning; they get revenue if a town in the county gets a business lol)

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
The order has been posted:
https://www2.illinois.gov/Documents/ExecOrders/2020/ExecutiveOrder-2020-10.pdf

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
Having my little hardware store way downstate be considered essential is a blessing and a curse.

We've seen a huge uptick in customers realizing they have nothing to do and nowhere to go so they get stuff done around the house. Good for our business.

The downside is people are leaving their homes for unneeded stuff. I did an informal tally one day and the ratio was 9:1 against those I would consider to be essential trips to our business (things like plumbing emergency or contractor work). Nobody downstate seems to be taking it seriously, and it takes a firm word for most people to respect a level of distance. I almost had to yell at a customer to physically back off because he refused to comply with the rules. To be fair, I've seen worse behavior in the grocery store next door. I genuinely fear that we could be a vector for disease despite our lengthy precautions (I'd do more but the hoarders have cleared out everything from my warehouse; I can't even get bleach right now). Only about 1/3 of the customers are wearing any sort of protection, and those wearing gloves are touching their faces and so on. Just bad.

Our county has 7 confirmed cases and the local hospital is giving people with symptoms the runaround to avoid increasing the official numbers more (of they simply don't have the tests). This will not end well downstate, especially if we attempt to open back up.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
What an insane human. I've seen similar takes from random people, but not from elected officials.

Wasn't Richland where that lady who had a confirmed case just casually went shopping one evening instead of being self-isolating?

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of BLM protests happening in fairly small towns around the state. Capitol Fax has a story on it, including the very conservative town of Taylorville and the infamously named Anna.

My town of ~6000 is even having one tomorrow afternoon in the heart of Eastern Bloc territory!

https://capitolfax.com/2020/06/05/peaceful-black-lives-matter-protests-pop-up-in-some-surprising-places/

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am really interested in the backlash of prison guards being forced to get vaccinated.

I have family who are working and have worked in Illinois corrections. There are apparently quiet grumblings about quitting, especially among the guards. Whether or not they actually decide to quit one of the few good union jobs left downstate is debatable.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
Oh no, there's at least 8 on that list within an hour's drive.

Talked to my local school superintendent. They're sticking with ISBE recommendations.

I feel bad for the kids if the funding gets cut off. Many of those districts rely so heavily on it.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
Happy to see Amendment 1 pass!

My rural downstate county that just voted 77% for Bailey had 41% for the Amendment. Weird level of support for it all over the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
Rep. Niemerg just got tossed from the primary ballot over a technicality. This is going to cause such a mess in my district lmao

https://twitter.com/brendenmoore13/status/1745503881956638823