Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Big Black Dick posted:

Honestly, we don't think about it much. gently caress off to Iowa already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Dexo posted:

Come to Springfield, we have all the Abe Lincoln stuff you could ever want to see.

Flw Dana House is cool if you like architecture

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

They built a highway through the middle of it.

Definitely worth a stop

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Dukket posted:

Yeah, I was also really surprised to find out that many folks in the burbs have similar commutes to city dwellers, it made angry for a bit. I like driving, but I HATE sitting in traffic - public trans all day long. Sleep, read, zone out, play cards with your train buddies, now thats a commute.

I also knew folks who took the Metra from Fox Lake everyday - WTF!

And as others said, the city is still very affordable, taking in to consideration its a big city and the limitations that creates. If you don't care about public trans even more of the city opens up to you.

For an internship for a few months I was taking metra from Downers Grove to Chicago to Morton Grove and back. Didn't have reliable car so that was my only choice, at least there was a Pace shuttle that picked up at my apartment and the station on the other end was only two blocks from the office.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Apparently there's a one year statute of limitations on sexual harassment claims in the general assembly, so many of these claims hit that just waiting to be investigated

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The soda tax seemed to work at it's stated goals (more tax revenue, less consumption of garbage) and the whole thing was a God drat plotline from parks and rec

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I want to hear more from the "split Illinois into three states" guy

Seems like a character from parks & rec

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lipinski sucks hard and I really hope Newman can knock him off.

e: Illinois 3rd posters taking over the thread

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

that new Ives ad...yikes. actually makes Rauner seem good lol

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/ives-ad-targets-transgender-community-immigrants-and-women-who-get-abortions/

binaryhermit posted:

I'm actually about as far away from the southwest side as you can get in the 3rd congressional district... Lockport.

What up fellow Lockport goon (grew up there but still live nearby)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Where did these tapes come from? FOIA?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

That doesn't seem extremely shady at all

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Go Boss go

Did anyone ever figure out why Lisa stepped down for AG?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/964571602565214208

:discourse:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Anyone have a good breakdown on the AG race?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

I admit I haven't been paying much attention to the gubernatorial primary, so I listened to a debate the other day. I about lost it when a dude started talking about splitting Illinois into 3 states.

That guy owns and I'm voting for him for every office

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Why did they write that provision anyway, so dumb

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

That wttw interview with Ives was really bad. Tons of softball questions, didn't press hard on anything and even apologized for asking about her voting record.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I've been voting by mail for years since I'm sometimes sent out of town for work at the last minute. It's super easy and should be that way in every state.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

There's some Democratic group running "oh no Ives is just too conservative for Illinois" ads that I imagine are an attempt to troll conservatives into nominating Ives, like mccaskill did with akin a few years ago.

I'm worried this will work as well as hoping Trump wins the nomination so they can have a slam dunk general election but oh wait our candidate sucks and is surrounded by scandals and is completely uninspiring if pritzker gets the nomination.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bird in a Blender posted:

After Trump, I believe anything is possible, but IL is way more blue than the average of the country, and Rauner has like a mid 30s favorable rating. The Dems would have to really really really screw this up to lose.

Yeah I'm worried about the horror of Ives getting the nomination and Democratic turnout being depressed because pritzker sucks/real bad FBI tapes come out/more shady financial things come out/#metoo accusations/whatever and Ives squeaking out a win.

Super long shot obviously but I'll never rule out something like that after 2016

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's basically unchanged for months now

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

There were Rauner signs suspiciously near to my polling place. The workers thought they were barely legal and around 100 feet away but who even knows.

I will laugh and laugh if Rauner loses though. gently caress that guy, I want him humiliated.

Came here to post that I haven't seen a single Rauner sign but lots of Ives signs in the far SW suburbs

Lol I'm surrounded by garbage people

I will laugh if Rauner loses but also be terrified of an Ives win

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Minto Took posted:

Then what was with all the hullabaloo that he hated weed? Because he’s apparently friends with cops?

I'm pretty sure his position "evolved"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lager posted:

Looks like Newman just took a small lead. Looking at the precincts left, it seems to be in counties where Newman's been doing better than Lipinski, so hopefully that'll work out.

Looks like it was a reporting error :(

gently caress Lipinski, poo poo night.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/DKElections/status/989233813468278784

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Horseshoe theory posted:

I believe it's dependent on whether the wages were exempt from Social Security, which was pretty much phased out in 1984 so unless you were working prior to 1984 and are subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision and/or the Government Pension Offset (the last provision is the more likely to hose some nowadays), you can get both a government pension and Social Security Benefits (I personally prepare a number of number of client returns with both).

Edit: Pretty much railroad employees are the only (quasi)-governmental employees that get fully exempt from Social Security contributions (due to the higher contributions they make into the railroad retirement plans), as far as I'm aware.

Teachers in Illinois pay into trs but not ss

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Thwomp posted:

He's the candidate we have. Certainly not the one we need but that's a reflection on the failure of democrats to rally behind a better candidate.

Don't just take your ball and go home when you would've preferred another nominee. And I say that as someone who is really unenthusiastic about JB.

Iirc mastershakeman voted for Trump so maybe don't take his thoughts too seriously?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1019439354681360384

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

More money for us, gently caress you

That "what could a billion dollars buy Illinois" ad should end with a call to confiscate both Rauner's and Pritzker's wealth to get those things.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/ProPublicaIL/status/1022438127896387586

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Why not call for an amendment

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

But if he's got support/votes for the plan he's floating, wouldn't he have support for an amendment to do the same thing but much simpler?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

baquerd posted:

You're absolutely right that people are leaving because the government sucks, but I would argue that's because we're getting lovely value for our taxes. That is, the taxes are not high in an absolute sense, but relatively high when compared to what Californians get out of their government. If you want to improve services instead of wasting salaries on a million different administrative groups without raising taxes, that would also be nice.

Personally, I'm here for another 2-3 years for a Chicago job before I retire or go part time contract/remote and will almost certainly be leaving the state due to the tax burden. Income tax is fine, but property tax is insane, almost as much as my mortgage and I can stretch retirement funds much further with lower property taxes.

There's a big difference between a small, employee-owned-and-directed union negotiating with a single company and quasi-governmental unions with political ambitions, leaders with more in common with a CEO than a worker drone, and one-size-fits-all attitudes. Besides being expensive in a direct sense, most unions eventually invite corruption and laziness. I've seen more than one business shut down due to onerous union regulations mandated by government contracts and get replaced with shadier companies more willing to skirt the unions in various ways or giant corporations that end up costing twice as much over time while weaseling they way through contracts.

edit: grammar

Actually public unions are good

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Smashing more working class jobs so the wealthy don't have to pay a cent more in taxes is just what Illinois needs!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's about more than income

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

baquerd posted:

Like what? If they don't like the working conditions they have a living wage and can just quit.

People will still aspire to more than the bare minimum living wage and employers will still be assholes who need to be checked, people should also have a collective say in their workplace.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

There will still be employers both public and private. UBI doesn't eliminate the need for collective bargaining and workplace representation.

Your whole framing, that people in unions don't succeed on their own merits, that your primary concern is your personal investment vehicles, and that you are trying to argue that UBI would be more politically palatable than a slightly progressive income tax tips your hand.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 17, 2018

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Illinois is a poo poo state in a garbage part of the country with a broken and broke government but I don't know that "housing that is still reasonable" is something that is driving people *away*

Lol if you would ever voluntarily live in Indiana though

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Vaminn posted:

You can apply online and they send you the ballot in the mail that you send back. I've done it and it's an easy process.

Yeah I do this every election since I travel for work on short notice. Check your state clerks website, it's super easy in Illinois

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Whoops yeah meant county clerk, good correction