Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. The thing with SF prices is that land is at such a premium in that area (among other things like zoning and building codes that inhibit high-density building).

Everyone wants to live on the peninsula where SF is, there's only a few bridges connecting SF to the surrounding Bay Area, and more makes SF's housing situation a particularly unique to its area.

And that's not counting the mass transit systems and better highway situation the Chicago-area has over SF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

The Prtizker stuff mostly just seems like "guilty by association" for talking with Blago. I don't think anything he says in there is really damning. My biggest concern is that Rauner has some big bomb he's sitting on waiting for Pritzker to win the nomination.

Yeah, it's this. It's a couple of people steeped in Illinois politics talking shop. And not even a "locker room talk" kind of way.

At the time, Blago was governor and while insiders knew the sleazy poo poo he was up to, the general public wasn't tuned into it until the marshals started knocking on his door.

Sure, it looks awful in retrospect but nothing was illegal or out of the norm at the time.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm having trouble following the underlying assumption but is it essentially that Edgar and politicians before him in the 80s and 90s underfunded the pension contributions through mathwizardry. When the 90s economy fell apart in 2000, the math couldn't hold together and the bill came due (in 2012)?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There's speculation it's just signaling that Trump is willing to pardon anyone to keep his loyalists loyal.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I mean, you'd essentially turn not-Chicago-Illinois into another Indiana/Kentucky/Iowa/Kansas. So yeah, backwards as gently caress.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Stood right next to Rauner at our local 4th of July parade while some white lady got all excited to take a selfie with him.

How anyone can get so excited for a governor who has done so little in office befuddles me.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Rauners sole accomplishment is killing veterans in Quincy but that doesn't make jb worth poo poo

He's the candidate we have. Certainly not the one we need but that's a reflection on the failure of democrats to rally behind a better candidate.

Don't just take your ball and go home when you would've preferred another nominee. And I say that as someone who is really unenthusiastic about JB.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Big Black Dick posted:

lmao The Perfect Candidate™ doesn't exist. The logical extrapolation of a two party system is literally picking between the lesser of two evils. No one is ever going to tick all of everyone's boxes. That's how democracy works you clod.

And if you get so upset your preferred candidate didn't get the nomination/elected, work harder next time. Volunteer, knock doors, and help fundraise. You're not complete helpless in getting your preferred candidates out there.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

It's weird that the guy who could've been the first Jewish Speaker of the House dropped everything to be a really ineffectual White House Chief of Staff and then went on to drop everything again to be a really ineffectual mayor of Chicago.

I was thinking that having a Speaker candidate like Rahm in the age of Trump would've been a good thing but maybe not.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The line for early voting in my suburban district has been 20-30 minutes long everyday since early voting opened (including tonight as I’m standing in it at this moment).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Starting to see calls for JB already.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Someone I followed long ago on Twitter got really salty after JB was immediately called as the winner last night.

Went on and on about how he should flee the state like everyone else he knew.

I told him to "do it, you pussy."

He blocked me shortly thereafter.

He's not going to do it.

Edit: Bonus tears, his tweets an hour after he blocked me were about grown adults unfollowing people because their political opinions differ. lol

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 7, 2018

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's almost like having absolutely nothing to say to the majority of the state's population leaves you with no political legs to stand on.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
God, billionaires really are the biggest babies.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps it's from the perspective of "if we have enough votes to amend the IL constitution to add this tax, then logically there'd be enough support to add anything!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand, I totally get their frustration and I hope the government (state likely since the federal is doing fuckall) does something to help them.

On the other hand, they can gently caress off. They wouldn’t be acting the same way if this were a coastal state and the governor just issued mandatory evacuation orders. This is no different.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

Republicans would throw some the elderly into a volcano to make the stock market go up, and the remaining elderly would still vote for them after

For some reason, this post really clicked something for me. Or at least made me realize how far down the rabbit hole Republicans have gone.

They absolutely would throw their own in. And they’d have absolutely no problem with it unless they were the one selected to be thrown. The cult of “follow the leader” plus an unhealthy attachment to personal prosperity is just bonkers.

Explains downstaters too. They’d absolutely sever Chicagoland from the rest of the state even though it’d make their outlook objectively worse. I’m sure they’d be happy though, not tied to the blacks big city politics crushing their wishes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Vox has a great explainer regarding the airborne-ness of COVID.

In short, more evidence is demonstrating that in enclosed spaces with poor ventilation, COVID can spread like a fully-airborne disease. However, it's not hard and fast. Stepping into a crowded bar doesn't automatically mean infection. However, the longer you spend inside the bar, the greater your risk of inflection.

I don't really know what that means for schools. My son's district is offering three options (return to in-person instruction, remote learning, and unenrollment/home schooling). My partner and I are honestly torn. At least our district has the resources and planning in place to deal with a return to in-person instruction. I have no idea what it'll be like for teachers in less well-off districts.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I do feel for the state leaders/school boards/county officials (at least the non-chud ones) who are in a true bind.

They shut everything down in the spring and hoped the feds would come in with assistance given the feds were the only ones who could.

Local and state governments were strapped before the pandemic and now they’ve lost most of their revenue sources for months on end.

Since the feds didn’t step in, the choices they’re left with are either 1) remain locked down and go bankrupt (which may not even be an option for some localities/states) or 2) attempt to reopen as “safely” as possible and hope to limp long on a fraction of revenue until the crisis passes or the feds actually do arrive.

Unless I’m misreading the situation.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The X-man cometh posted:

Undergrads are significantly stupider than professors and researchers and prone to much riskier behavior. Champaign is hosed.

*Checks post and photo history from time in undergrad*

Yup, checks out.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
All of my YouTube ads are for blinds and Trump.

I’ve already checked my Adsense. It’s infuriating

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
poo poo. My family has a vacation planned in late October for Indiana.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
They start tomorrow.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I saw a ton of ads supporting the”fair tax amendment” but that’s my anecdotal experience.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Except where a not insignificant segment of the population idolizes/looks up to these people and will walk right off a cliff at their word because “more money = good”.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Huh?

My understanding was Quinn hosed up every relationship he had with his voting/power base.

He easily could’ve beaten Rauner if he didn’t damage those

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, there seem to be two kinds of people on Pritzker’s COVID response:

1) generally favorable while acknowledging he can only do so much to enforce it (probably lower than it would normally be due to people wanting more restrictions)

2) YOU CANT TELL ME WAHT TO DO MAH RIGHTS OPEN ER UP!

The enforcement has really been an unfortunate thorn in his side. When you can’t get mayors to go along, your words only go so far.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

My mom still refuses to get vaccinated despite all the perks you can get so I'm going to have to threaten to cut off contact again. She's a nurse. She should know better.

I feel you. We’ve run the gamut of family and friends who have refused the vaccine.

From the understandable (“my doctor says not to. I had COVID previously”), to the less so (“it’s my body and my choice not to.”), to the downright hurtful (“I’m alright with whatever comes my way.”).

No rhyme or reason to it either. Sucks all the same.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
A combination of public investment in the towns themselves AND in high speed transportation to link them all between Chicago and St. Louis.

Side note: I never get the fascination with linking St. Louis and Chicago. Feels like a bit of a dead end connection. How many people really are moving between the two?

But if you want to build high speed rail farther, to say…Houston, you’re competing with air travel and probably not very well at that.

That said, a bunch of “really important federal investment centers” along a corridor from Chicago to St. Louis would likely draw more travel from the two urban centers.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Rockford is considered downstate.

The only area im unclear on is like, Woodstock. Chicagoland? Probably not.

McHenry County borders Cook County so, yes?

But I’d agree it’s at the very limit.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

They all plan on calling ISBE’s bluff and what pisses me off the most is that they are going to push this as far as possible and then switch to masks right before they actually face consequences.

It’s funny how the big school districts in Texas and Florida are doing the same thing to require masks. I honestly wonder how all of it will play out in the courts.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Surprised we didn’t see this get posted in this thread:

https://twitter.com/ABC7Chicago/status/1437652352664756225?s=20

Gotta dig into it as I’ve been eyeing an EV for my next car.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It certainly seems like the end of the delta wave has just….not ended despite cresting and coming down.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Okay so tell me this as I honestly can’t tell:

How much of this is just dirty laundry being aired versus it normally happening on the back rooms of party functions?

It sorta sounds like the discussions presidential candidates might have to primary challengers or to get someone’s endorsement (cushy department posting or ambassadorship). But maybe there’s something else to it that stinks.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Also, term limits benefit Republicans’ wealthy donors as they can use their money to influence the political process more effectively.

It’s not a terrible idea but it often comes from a very disingenuous place.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The X-man cometh posted:

Ameya Pawar or Daniel Biss could have done a good job if JB just gave them his money instead of running himself.

Maybe but they could’ve easily turned out to be another Pat Quinn.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

Didn't Vermont spend a bunch of time looking into it a decade ago and found it just wasn't feasible at the state level?

Yeah, the state was too small and healthcare too costly for them to make it work.

Possibly a place as big as CA or TX could maybe pull it off but not without sacrificing golden calfs for tax revenue.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Could just be our politicians. Downstate republicans have been feeding an us vs. them mentality for decades now.

I think rural areas could do fine, but capitalism and cars have really taken its toll. Nearly every small town used to have a little downtown strip with a local grocer and a couple of other stores. The large stores like Walmart essentially made them unviable since the small stores couldn’t compete on costs. Once everyone had a car and could drive 15-30 miles to go to the Walmart, it was all over. That took away a lot of incentive to stick around since jobs in town didn’t exist anymore.

I think there’s also an isolation and a lack of identity in rural Illinois communities that say upstate New York has.

Syracuse, Buffalo, and Albany all have distinct identities from each other while also having a common “upstate” mega-identity. It helps them survive together while also being able to cite proud differences.

I’m not sure I could say the same about Bloomington, Peoria, Carbondale, Rockford, and Springfield. Maybe I’m wrong and some Peoraite can correct me. But it sure seems like they’ve got nothing to identify themselves with. Only against the Chicagoans.

And that’s not entirely on them. Economic disinvestment, mega-corporations destroying small town shops, and brain drain to the cities robbed them of any economic green shoots.

They’re also really far apart. You’ve got some closeness with several middle state cities but Rockford and Carbondale are as far from the mid-region as you can get. Upstate New York cities are only about 2 hours from each other.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
A flash mob happened and there was a shooting. A few were injured.

It’s not like it was a birthday party in Alabama or anything…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So it was just discussed at length in the Chicago thread but I’ll revise my last statement.

It wasn’t a riot so much as an open-air teen house party that got out of hand. An open social media invite went out for a gathering/hangout down in the Loop. As the crowd grew, a subset of the larger group damaged property and a shooting occurred.

So that’s the facts of the night itself. What gets left out of the reporting is the under-investment in swaths of the city that mostly house black and brown people and deprives them of useful public spaces in their own parts of the city. If the kids had places to go in their own neighborhoods, they wouldn’t have to feel like they needed to meet up downtown just to find something to do.

And then you have the always present underlying narrative of “THOSE PEOPLE in our downtown area” and you’ve got the ingredients for a juicy Fox News story about young brown/black people running wild in the streets of Chicago without any of the context.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 18, 2023