Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The economy of the state shifted because of railroads and Stephen A Douglas.

Chicago exploded when the railroads connected to the Plains area.

xzzy posted:

It's hard to overestimate how big a deal the railroads were. After 1850 cities lived and died based on the decision to build track through an area.

The I&M Shipping Canal was finished in 1948 (and later the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal which of course reversed the river in 1900) had a major impact on the railroads deciding to connect to Chicago and is a large reason for the population explosion since it also allowed for more than just subsistence farming around the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

KodiakRS posted:

So what happens when the gentrification of Chicago eventually cranks rent prices up to San Francisco levels and the middle class all bails to Texas and the southern US? Can a state declare bankruptcy?

Wouldn't they just move out to the burbs? I mean they can't make all of Chicagoland have sky high rent.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Big Black Dick posted:

To be fair, the states with the largest latino populations are California, Texas, New York, Florida, and Illinois. Not that any normal candidate will carry those given party lines, but those states total 171 electoral college votes of the needed 270.

California, New York and Illinois are reliably blue when electing a President and Florida is purple for the most part. Texas is the nut to crack for Dems and it's getting a lot closer to turning purple that it used to be. A Dem Latino candidate could push to to the brink.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think I'm also just inside the 3rd district

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Orvin posted:

It doesn’t help that there are multiple variations of the commercial.

It also doesn't help that both candidates are running toilet commercials.

But I don't know how I'm supposed to take Rauners seriously when the fat, dumb, orange idiot got elected President after saying that not paying taxes makes him smart during the campaign and then gave a huge tax break to all the rich people in the US.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I can sort of understand giving a company a tax break for maybe like 3-5 years at the most (although I would never do 0%), but why in the world would you give one two decades or more of absolutely no taxes?

It doesn't make any sense at all to me, regardless of how many jobs they say they are going to create. I know the thought is "oh this company will move in and then other companies will follow", but why immediately undercut that position by giving the following companies tax breaks too?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

brugroffil posted:

turns out video gambling was not a financial boon for the state! absolutely shocking

https://twitter.com/MichaelGrabell/status/1085647528815517699

Yeah but I'm guessing the people who voted to allow video gambling made a fortune!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The SituAsian posted:

Not really the whole state. I've never seen "video gaming" establishments in like Hinsdale or Deerfield

Maybe not directly in Hinsdale proper, but there was one around 63rd and Cass. There is one at Plainfield and Cass. And I thought there is one somewhere on Ogden between 83 and Cass or Fairview.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Soonmot posted:

That'a what those Stella's places are, right? I have idea what those places do, except have someone outside smoking 24/7, has to be a money laundering operation.

Stella's and Dotty's are slot places.

I know there are a few other chain type places too, although I can't recall their names off hand.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why isn't weed legal yet?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

as a non Chicagoan I can't speak specifically to you.

But Red Light Cameras don't do poo poo. Know what would stop accidents, adding one second to the yellow light, which is what they removed when they wanted to start increasing funds from tickets for redlight running

Actually, I think I've read that Red Light Cameras do actually reduce the amount accidents in the intersection (like T-bones), but increase the number of rear end accidents when they are first installed. However, I believe the amount of rear end accidents goes down slightly the longer the Camera has been installed and people get used to it.

I don't like Red Light Cameras, but they do probably help at some intersections in reducing the number of major accidents. However, the fine probably shouldn't be that high.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The X-man cometh posted:

I think they're a good idea but many of them have been installed with the intent of making money at busy intersections, not to keep dangerous intersections safe.

Oh I completely agree. They are being used too much as revenue generators under the guise of safety rather than being used strictly for safety.

It's especially bad since a lot of them tend to be in low income areas (same with the speed cameras which are worse imo) and the fines tend to be fairly high, especially in the city.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender posted:

There is probably some downside to Chicago, but I would have to imagine any downside is way greater to downstate Illinois. Aside from the tax base, Chicago is still a huge freight hub, and most of the other products made in Illinois, like corn and soy, are getting shipped out of Chicago, by boat or train. So now downstate Illinois would be paying Chicago to ship out their goods. The biggest loss to Chicago would be access to the Mississippi River, which is also a huge shipping channel, so you could see a lot of stuff that goes through Chicago move to the Mississippi.

Nationally it would suck because we would be looking at another red state, without adding another blue state to counter it.

Actually, Chicago wouldn't lose access to the Mississippi River because the Illinois Waterway (previously the I&M Shipping Canal) provides a direct route from Chicago to the Mississippi.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

brugroffil posted:

We need to merge a bunch of tiny pop states before we talk about breaking others up

Yup, North/South Dakota could easily be merged into one state.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lmao at this image.

Notice the toxic relationship appears to be homosexual considering that the one of the healthy relationship figures has hair and a dress.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Well he forfeited his bond so it's the same old story, you can get out of anything if you pay enough money.

$625 bucks per felony charge seems like a pretty good deal.

Hell I could probably afford a couple of them if that were the standard rate.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://mobile.twitter.com/joshscampbell/status/1111290022437638145

I'm sure this will work out well.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Volkerball posted:

Nope.

UIC did a big report on it that digs into a bunch of the numbers. If you were an alderman from 1972 until now in Chicago, you had nearly a 20% chance of being convicted on corruption charges. And that's only one piece of the pie.

Lmao ILs current bond rating is BBB or lower. It's went down during Rauner's time. Sure, you can't blame the whole thing on him, but he certainly didn't do anything to try and dig out and in fact, made it worse.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

Oh I guess it is Wednesday

Good thing time does not actually exist.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Niwrad posted:

I don't care how they do it. The important thing is that it is legalized and people will stop getting up for weed. Also that people who have these dumb convictions can get them expunged so they can get a decent job.

It's gonna be great when Michigan starts selling recreational weed at the end of this year. Even though it looks like the SW corner already has a bunch of areas that have already banned the sale, I'm sure there is going to be a couple of communities that will buck that trend and then I'll just make a 2 hour drive to pick up a shitload of weed for myself.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The X-man cometh posted:

New Buffalo's definitely gonna have it for the tourists.

Nope, New Buffalo has already banned recreational sales according to this map/site: https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/01/marijuana-businesses-banned-in-more-than-250-michigan-communities.html

But I'm guessing some community between New Buffalo and Benton Harbor won't be idiots. Especially some of the little communities around the Warren Dunes State Park.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

The number of lovely Indiana cops lining up at the border to pull over out-of-state license plates is gonna be astronomical

Lmao, the best way to probably do it would be to boat from Chicago to Michigan.

Also, there isn't much the police can do if you just follow the speed limit and don't drive like an rear end in a top hat. At least in theory since they can pretty much come up with any reason to pull you over. But they would still need probable cause to search your vehicle, although police are obviously fascists and don't really care about following the law just forcing others to follow it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beastie posted:

My dad just retired to Michigan. My uncle also has been growing weed for 30 years and grew legally as soon as Michigan made medical legal way back when.

Just FYI, I still feel a little bad about just believing the poor assumptions of my parents regarding your aunt and uncle. I really just remember them as cool people with that crazy looking dog Petey.

But you won't have any issues getting weed. :)

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

banned from Starbucks posted:

they will fall back on the bullshit "I smell weed/alcohol" that they've used since forever.

That would be a hard sell if you were smart enough to put the weed in the trunk.

That's what I plan on doing when/if I go to Michigan to get weed and I also wouldn't carry any with me to smoke even though the drive kinda sucks without it.

Volkerball posted:

Plus you can't stop them from walking a dog around your vehicle and if it hits, that's probable cause.

Yeah, my guess is that they will probably have more K-9 units around the border and those are the ones that can really get you.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beastie posted:

My family absolutely are party animals so I can believe them being a bit off putting. I’m sure they were told more than enough times to shut up at night. Sound carried across the water well. It’s no big deal.

Edit: my uncle that’s growing isn’t the uncle your family knows.

Content: I’m all for making the judicial system right in regards to pardoning folks that got pinched for pot. But I wish we’d get our rear end in gear because pot tourism is a thing. We could draw a lot of people to Chicago if it was legal.

You’re only going to leave money on the table if nearby states legalize first.

Oh no, it wasn't that, both my parents and I absolutely loved them because it was a wild time and they were a lot of fun. I have nothing but positive memories about your uncle and family. I was talking about the poor ethnic assumption that my parents made and I just assumed was true.

Also, yeah I really think Illinois has to get on the ball regarding weed because it certainly will generate revenue for a state that badly needs it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

*starts by beating the poo poo out of Rahm*

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hey if this goes into effect and I can buy recreational weed in IL at the start of 2020, then I probably won't drive to Michigan in December of 2019 to pick up a bunch of their legal weed.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

"Even though the bill passed, my conscious is clear because I made a point while objecting it," DeLuca thought as he cracked open his 5th beer of the night. Then he wondered if he should have picked up more than a 12 pack because it was still early and he was mighty thirsty after telling his fellow representatives all about the evils of a dangerous drug.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Source4Leko posted:

Yea that's dumb. We should really just gerrymander the gently caress out of the state now because why not? I wanna see a Chicago/Cairo continuous district.

They should at the very least gerrymander that chuddy gently caress Kinzinger out of office on a national level.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Volkerball posted:

If that happened we'd probably have to kick their crybaby asses in a war again.

This is where everything happening now ultimately ends.

The only question is who starts it and why.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

Seems insanely easy to speed less than 26 mph over the speed limit, honestly

Seriously, I drive all day every day and I just don't feel any real need to go more than around 70-75 on wide open highways. And if you really feel like you need to do more than 25 over on a road that is 45 mph or less then you have some serious issues.

You just really don't save that much time with extreme speeding unless you are traveling long distances or several hundred miles. And inside the suburban hellscape of Chicagoland and the collar counties, you just really can't keep a high average speed to really make a difference.

edit - also I always laugh a bit at the people complaining about gas taxes because the cost of filling up my 12 gallon tank at $3.00/gallon is $36 and the cost at $3.20 a gallon is $38.40, thus costing a whole $2.40 more per tank of gas. And despite the fact that I generally fill up between 10-15 times a month due to my job, it's not even something I would complain about aside from the fact that I understand it can make things more difficult for some people due to American car culture and a lack of good public transportation.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 30, 2019

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Except just about every road in Indiana is in horrible loving shape.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lmao

He's wearing New Balance, the official shoe of white supremacists.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dwarf74 posted:

Most shoe lines do.

Unfortunately NB is the only one you can normally find in stores.

I have fat, mutant feet, and the last time I was at a professional shoe store the clerk was like "okaaay.... wow..." Ordering shoes online is simply impossible for me.

Fuckin a, I do not want to give that new balance fucker a dime of my money, but also I have to wear shoes for the times I can't wear sandals (which are awesome and extremely adjustable).

I mean it's not like New Balance the company is responsible or endorsing white supremacists. It's just that moron white supremacists adopted NB shoes for whatever reason since Nike was supporting Kaepernick.

At least that is my understanding of the situation.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shouldn't they arrest all Teamsters for doing little to no work?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

KDdidit posted:

Rough day for west Cook County peeps. Summit, McCook, and Lyons village offices had the FBI stop by. Getty in Lyons is a supreme dirtbag, his handpicked school board candidates turned my old grade school in D103 into a shitshow.

*** UPDATED x5 - Looking at McCook contractors - IRS involved - “Investigative activity” in Summit - Lyons mayor insurance office raided - Lyons, “other locations” also raided *** Report: “Multiple locations” raided by FBI

Lmao anyone who has lived near those areas knows all three of those towns are odd. Hell, it's generally known as Scummit, although I suspect that also has a racial component since it has a large population of Latinos.

But it is the home to the original El Famous and the far superior El Faro.

McCook is shady as gently caress since it's population is tiny but it pulls in massive amounts of money because of all the industry. And Lyons has always been the low man on the totem pole of Riverside/Brookfield/Lyons trio of towns. Which is an little odd since I believe it was the original town in the area and founder of the township cause the high school in LaGrange is Lyons Township High School.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Minto Took posted:

I used to drive through McCook all the time and it was hilarious that surely more people worked in McCook than lived there.

There absolutely are more people working in McCook than living there since the population is less than 300 people iirc.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Niwrad posted:

What was the point of daylight savings?

Also I could have swore I read some stuff about how getting rid of it would save a ton of energy costs.

Literally to save candles.

Edit - but it's mostly a city/rural thing. Industrial societies work off of clock time while agrarian societies work mostly off of actual daylight.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 16, 2019

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Downstate has been essentially rebelling against it. Many of the towns and counties in rural Illinois are actively working against it.

Jasper County apparently has a really good initial meeting over it (with people on both sides of the issue having meaningful discussions over it). However, the second meeting had 90 more people in the meeting, all from local churches, who used their time to pray for the county’s misguided ways while making up poo poo about marijuana.

From the point in, the discussion shifted from positive to negative. I saw one county board member talking about how the county would need to hire more police officers and nurses to deal with marijuana use. Another board member now states that he wants the people to vote on it because it is too big an issue for him to vote on (profiles in courage right there).

It's so hilarious (read: incredibly stupid) to me that most of the people who are against marijuana would absolutely bitch and moan if you dared tried to curtail alcohol sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

silence_kit posted:

There is a small town named Versailles in western Illinois. It is pronounced ver-SALES. Illinois rules.

I know French came first and everything, but to be fair, having a silent 'lles' is dumb.