Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

But I wasn't trying to compare Chicago to coastal cities.

Just pointing out that "move to the burbs!" doesn't actually solve any problems if your job is in the city. Sure you can now afford to put a roof over your head, but now you're losing 15 hours of your week to commuting and are constantly exhausted from it.

Several of my coworkers who live in the suburbs have commutes under an hour door to door on Metra. When I first started working in the loop I was blown away that the project lead had a shorter commute than I did -- and lived in Northbrook.

Our regional transport system is actually pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

I remember seeing what the penalty was for these and was blown away. $200 is insane for a city sticker violation. City is such a cancer.

edit: On second thought, I'd rather not play strawman here.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 31, 2018

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Basically pensions have to be honored as written but should cease to exist in the future.

Hasn't this already happened? I don't see any mention of Pensions in the State of Illinois recruitment pitches I've gotten, and some family members who work for the state say told me it's pretty much only deferred comp for new workers.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can you explain the difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2? Genuinely curious.

Also, is it literally just deferred comp now, i.e. not even any 401K equivalent?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Clouseau posted:

With Amazon pulling out of NYC, it’ll be pretty interesting to see what the candidates say now.

I always assumed Amazon knew exactly where it wanted HQ2 and this whole mess was just to extract as many concessions out of the winner as possible. There's probably a really interesting story here that we won't find out for a decade.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there some webpage that goes over every mayoral candidate's positions on every issue? I am having trouble finding something like this.

I found an article showing that sometime last week 19% of voters were undecided, Preckwinkle was leading the pack at 14% with the next four candidates within spitting distance of each other, and a full 60% of voters think Chicago is heading in the wrong direction which probably explains the huge number of undecided. I am definitely part of that 60%, and right now part of that 19% because everything I've heard from these candidates seems to just be more of the same budget wise. It just evokes a feeling of complete apathy -- a feeling I've never had going into an election before. I wonder how many other voters are thinking along the same lines.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What should I know about the Treasurer race? Is there a clear correct choice here?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

UberNils posted:

This is the voter guide that has been getting shared around among people whose opinions I trust, and I've found it to be pretty on-the-nose as well.

Girl, I guess: Progressive Voter Guide for Chicago 2019 + Runoffs

I'd be curious to know what they specifically think of Lightfoot vs. Periwinkle. I'm assuming that they'd still endorse Periwinkle because of how much weight they put on Police issues, but almost every positive they attribute to Periwinkle is strategic and no long really a concern in a race of two candidates.

EDIT: Found their opinion about Lightfoot vs. Periwinkle. Look like Lightfoot's Police record in their eyes is completely disqualifying. While I can totally understand that point of view, I believe strongly enough that unchaining Chicago from Machine Politics is critical for the future, and I'd rather gamble on Lightfoot pushing in that direction and swallow her terrible record on Police Brutality rather than Periwinkle's guarantee of the status quo.

Put strategically, I believe the worst outcome of voting for Lightfoot and being wrong is basically continuation of the status quo. And voting for Periwinkle basically guarantees that.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If the entire deficit had to be paid for with a property tax increase, what would that translate to in terms of percentages?