Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Welcome to Illinois! We're more than just Chicago!

We have corn (#2 producer behind Iowa in 2016)

soybeans (#1 in 2016, #1 or #2 producer last five years running BITCHES! Yeah maybe our sports teams suck but our farmers BRING IT),

corrupt politicians, (click link for fuller but still not complete list, pics are just the most recent and/or famous ones)

a budget problem that makes moving to a hurricane-ravaged hellhole like Texas a consideration,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDAgZREprNY

quote:

Despite the $36 billion budget getting pushed through, Illinois remains in a financial mess following decades of mismanagement and the recent budget fight. The state has racked up $15 billion of unpaid bills and owes a quarter-trillion dollars in pensions to state workers when they retire.

Unfortunately, the budget compromise may not be enough to put Illinois back on a sustainable fiscal path.

Moody's said on Wednesday that it may still make Illinois the first state with a "junk" credit rating despite the $5 billion being raised by the tax hike. A downgrade would make Illinois the first state to receive a "junk" rating and could likely trigger higher borrowing costs for America's fifth-largest state.

The problem is that the budget compromise lacks "broad bipartisan support" and that may "signal shortcomings" in its effectiveness, Moody's warned.
AND...
well okay, fine, Chicago.

quote:

Monday, Aug 14, 2017

* Sen. Tom Cullerton asked the Legislative Research Unit for some county-by-county data on how much money counties are getting back from the state compared to what residents put in.
Dark red means the counties’ get back 80 cents on the dollar or less from the state. Counties shaded dark black are more break even. The blue counties are doing well and the green counties do the best, getting back at least $2 for every $1 they send to the state.
The data is from 2013 (the latest they have) and the LRU warns that it isn’t exactly precise because, for instance, not all revenue and disbursements can be totally verified. So, it’s more of a rough guide. Click the pic for a larger image…

So 2018 is a midterm election year and you know what that means! GOVERNOR'S RACE!

Rauner is, of course, running for reelection, never having heard the phrase 'quit while you're behind'

He is being challenged by a slate of Democrats, from the billionaires who saw his and Trump's meteoric rise to success and thought 'more money than any human being has any right to isn't enough, I wanna be moving those levers of power too' (Pritzker, yes THAT Pritzker, R.) to billionaires who are also members of political family dynasties because that worked out so well in 2016 (Kennedy, L.)

to Chicago Aldermen with an American dream story and a downstate running mate who don't have a chance in hellpoo poo, this is the weirdest timeline nobody knows anything anymore maybe Illinois' got another skinny brown kid with a funny name in its political future (Pawar, L and running mate) Nevermind, Pawar's out of money and out of the race as 10/12/17.

to typical Illinois politicians who think they have reasonable policy positions and experience who were also runners up in a John Kerry lookalike contest (IL State Sen Daniel Biss and IL State Rep Scott Drury Drury, an ex-federal prosecutor, wisely decided to run for AG instead as Madigan's stepping down)

and a whole bunch of other people you've never heard of and perennial also-rans.

With Lisa Madigan stepping down after winning five consecutive terms, the Attorney General race is going to be interesting.

On the Republican side, former beauty queen (Miss America 2003), pro-abstinence anti-gay marriage Congressional seat also-ran Harvard Law-educated Erika Harold is running. She's African-American, losers! Ergo Republicans can't be racist you're the real racist.

On the Dem side at least seven eight contenders have thrown their hats into the ring. They include:

Now usually the General Assembly is pretty drat non-competitive but this year, oh this year, boys and girls, in this Our Weirdest Timeline, you're in for a potential treat, because a relative shitton of IL pols are deciding to hell with this hyper-partisan bullshit and retiring.

quote:

At least a dozen spots in the Illinois General Assembly will change hands in the upcoming election. 13 legislators are choosing to give up their seats (as of Aug 7th). Political analyst Linda Baker with the Paul Simon Public Policy Institute said we may even see more.

“We could turnover almost half of the General Assembly in this election with the number of people not running on their own and then those incumbents that may actually not win their seats,” Baker said.

And with turnover like that, Jak Tichenor with the Paul Simon Public Policy Institute said we'll be losing a lot of experience and expertise that takes years to develop.

“A lot of those lawmakers are only in their first and second terms, so particularly on the Republican side, that's a huge loss in terms of institutional knowledge and the political culture of the capital,” Tichenor said.
Including Speaker (and true political powerhouse) Mike Madigan's daughter (and Attorney General) Lisa Madigan (who is totally not running for anything else).
This doesn't mention the whole very unpopular tax hike Republicans are gonna have hung around their necks/attempt to hang around Dem necks. Illinoisans are very pissed off and looking for someone to blame.

And that doesn't even get into all the U.S. House seats up for grabs! (more on these later)

SO LET THE GAMES BEGIN, AND MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR (also register your dumb rear end to vote, especially if you just moved)

Oracle fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Heath posted:

Why does that last map place Peoria outside of Peoria county? Like East Peoria, which is in fact not in Peoria county

Go yell at Wikipedia man, Rauner don't pay me enough to care.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

There's islands of blue and purple - Peoria, Champaign-Urbana, Bloomington-Normal, Carbondale, Quad Cities - basically all the mid-size cities and university towns. But most of downstate is both rural and Republican. It's like an extension of Iowa.

IIRC, Decatur is particularly red, because the only university of any size is the tiny Millikin, and it's mostly been defined by agriculture and ADM.

http://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/map/president/illinois/

Growing up around Chicago, and now living in Blo/No, I have found that the Chicago/Downstate divide is way more bitter than any left/right divide in Illinois. Folks around here across the political spectrum just can't believe that Chicago provides more money for the state than it spends, and dumping on Chicago is a winning strategy no matter which party you're from.

I've lived in both areas of the state and while in Chicago noone spared a thought for anyone downstate. South of I-80 might as well not have existed. Most of their ire/dumping was reserved for suburbanites who dared claim they were actually from Chicago when they were from like, Schaumburg.

Downstate Christ, its like a jealous ex who moved back home and constantly keeps tabs on what could have been, exulting in every problem and setback and grumbling about every success and how it'll personally cost them.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Starved Rock is cool- go down there once a couple times a year at least.
Starved Rock is more west than south. Also nothing will make you hate Chicagoans faster than seeing them at Starved Rock/Mattheisen ignoring all the posted signs and letting their toddlers play in giardia-contaminated waters, littering everywhere, talking loudly on cel phones and harassing the local wildlife/picking protected flowers all while bitching about how shoddy everything looks.

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately it's the closest hiking location to Chicagoland, and in the summer it attracts some pretty unbearable crowds.
Also this. They actually had to close both parks Memorial Day weekend cuz they were at capacity. STATE PARKS AT CAPACITY. Try to visualize the numbers of people necessary to make that happen.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

It's neither? It's north-central, smack in the middle between Quad Cities-Chicago and Rockford-Bloomington. It's only "west" relative to Chicago, and South relative to ... well, techncially it's south of I-80 by a mile or two, I guess? It's not even as far south as Kankakee.

Relative to Chicago is the only relation that matters in Illinois, friend, have you not been reading the thread?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Turns out politics costs money, whodathunk.

Gonna be Biss or Kennedy.

Included resignation announcement:

quote:

Today, I am ending my campaign for Governor. Briefly, I want to explain why: we simply don’t have the money to meaningfully scale this campaign statewide. Without more resources, the only choices for expanding the campaign to a scope that could earn the nomination were to take on more personal debt or to cut staff. I have a young family, and we decided not to take on more personal debt right now. As to cutting staff, I simply refuse. We raised $828k from 2,526 donors; that is amazing. But as you know, the race for Illinois governor will set a record as the costliest race in American history. For democracy’s sake, I hope we see this as a troubling trend. My donors did the best they could, I’m the one who came up short, but I am not ashamed. Just know that while we didn’t have the most money, we have the volunteers (3,200), the signatures (10,000), and the right message. I’m sorry for the people who have stood with me that I don’t have the extraordinary wealth or extraordinarily wealthy connections to make up the difference.

We’ve all heard Winston Churchill’s famous line, “never give in, never, never, never, never.” Less often quoted is the rest of the sentence: “except to convictions of honour and good sense.” I think both suggest that this is the right time for this campaign to come to an end. I wish there was a sensible path forward, but we have always been playing a long game, and this is more of a beginning than an end. At this time, I will not be endorsing a candidate. That said, I urge you to get to know the other Democratic candidates. They are good people, and any one of them will make a fine governor.

Today, I am launching One Illinois, a political action committee to organize young people around progressive issues and fight the false and bigoted divides around race, class, and geography. We all want to see progressive change and policies, but to achieve our goals we must take on the politics that are used to keep communities fighting one another over scraps. I hope that you will join me in this new effort. More on this in the coming weeks.

We all want to see progressive change, but we must organize and attack the false divides around race, class, and geography. If we don’t, we won’t realize the changes we all seek.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So today is the opening day for submitting signatures to get on the March 2018 primary ballot.

quote:

The candidate filing period ends Dec. 4. Candidates for statewide office must submit at least 5,000 valid signatures; people seeking to challenge the validity of a candidate's petitions have until Dec. 11 to file an objection that would be considered before the ballot is finalized.
Let challenge season begin!

quote:

Under Illinois law, a candidate who makes a proper filing will be on the ballot unless he or she is challenged, and that challenge is sustained by an electoral board. A "proper filing" is really nothing more than a Statement of Candidacy, though. Other paperwork could be missing, and there could be far fewer signatures than necessary. This is how that strangest of loopholes comes in - if you file only your own signature, but nobody challenges your paperwork, you're on the ballot!

What this means is if you live in a district where some scumbag has applied to be on the ballot, you can officially challenge and get him thrown off if it turns out his/her paperwork isn't correctly filed or they don't have the proper amount of signatures or not enough of those signatures are deemed 'valid.' This is the unofficial political sport of Illinois and any experienced pol worth the name is really loving good at it (or at least their bevy of lawyers are). This may well happen to Rauner's far-right challenger.. Want to see who's filed already? Check here.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah this is a big setup which is always funny. Chuy probably got the heads up from Gutierrez to be ready to get signatures, and in exchange Chuy stays out of Rahm's way (since Gutierrez is a Rahm ally).
So why'd he step down? Another incoming sexual harrassment scandal or the numbers showed he wasn't a lock or Rahm calling in favors or what? Also actual article link you lazy Chicago fuckers.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Niwrad posted:

He wouldn't stand a chance in the rust belt. I think he'd be fine doing the activist stuff nationally. Would be a great voice in parts of the country you talk about that are purple and have large Hispanic populations.

The other problem with Gutierrez is he's really embedded in Chicago machine politics. He's made money off a bunch off scummy real estate deals and that stuff will definitely come out if he seeks higher office. Not to mention his standing in the black community won't be helped by the poo poo he pulled after Harold Washington died.

Can you elaborate? I could google but 'scummy Chicago politics' gives you a bazillion hits so, you know.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Primary election is coming up (March 20) and there are some changes this year, mostly involving same-day registration and no-excuses early voting (starting Feb 8th til March 19) and 'grace period' registration and early voting (Feb. 21-Mar 20). Basically you can register at any time but you have to vote immediately after you register if you choose to do either grace period or same day registration. That means no registering then going to check out the candidates websites then voting you have to do it all at once.

It is strongly encouraged that you print out your local sample ballot and research the candidates for public office. Yes including the local judges up for retention and the county executive and county board and dogcatcher and whatever. Everybody's got to start somewhere and if you weed out the assholes before they molt you end up with a lot less Ted Cruzes. You can find a sample ballot at your local county clerk's website (or check ballotpedia for info on races etc).

There is a candidate debate for the governor's race coming up TOMORROW Tues Jan 23 from 6-7 if you're interested in getting a head start. Check your local public tv and/or radio stations for coverage.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 23, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think Kennedy is targeting the African American community. He talks about gun violence a lot, and that is obviously a pretty big issue. Possibly a smart move, try to get most of the AA vote, and hope that Pritzker and Biss split the white vote. I can't tell if anyone is specifically courting the Latinx vote though.

He talks about gun violence a lot because HIS DAD AND UNCLE WERE ASSASSINATED. His running mate's son was also shot and killed. C'mon people.

Which reminds me I don't think anyone posted this tone-deaf exchange that led to him leaving the stage at a debate.

quote:

Gubernatorial candidate Chris Kennedy left the stage during a forum on Monday after Republican State Rep. Jeanne Ives argued the solution to gun violence in Illinois was having “more fathers in the home.”

Kennedy, a Democrat, replied by pointing out he had grown up without a father before standing up and walking out of the venue.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh yeah just to be thorough, here's the whole debate schedule for the Dems:

quote:

While the schedules differ slightly, both Kennedy, a businessman and son of Robert F. Kennedy, and Pritzker, a billionaire philanthropist and entrepreneur, plan to participate in the following six debates and forums:

Jan. 23: NBC Chicago/Telemundo
    Jan. 30: Daily Herald and Southern Illinois University Carbondale
    Feb. 21: State Journal Register/WMAY-AM
    March 1: Politico/University of Chicago Institute of Politics
    March 2: ABC 7 Chicago
    March 14: WTTW

Kennedy also plans to participate in a March 5 televised debate on WCIA-TV, which covers Springfield, Decatur and Champaign.

State Sen. Daniel Biss’ campaign said he is ready to participate in those debates as well.

“Daniel Biss is looking forward to participating in any debate, anywhere at anytime,” Biss spokesman Tom Elliott said.

Madison County Schools Supt. Bob Daiber, Bob Marshall and Tio Hardiman round out the list of Democratic candidates in the hotly contested March 20 primary. Gov. Bruce Rauner on Monday picked up an official Republican challenger in State Rep. Jeanne Ives, R-Wheaton.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Man_of_Teflon posted:

if you want to count the total debt, it went up by 17b in rauner's first year and probably more each of the later years

And wasn't the 240B number cooked up from presuming that everything would stay exactly as-is over the next 20 years? I seem to recall something along those lines and the reality was more like 10B fully funded.

Edit, yeah a lot of the 240B number is from late payment charges.

quote:

In fiscal 2016 alone, the state obligation to TRS and the other four employee pension funds it maintained was $6.8 billion, an amount so large it consumed more than 26 percent of the day-to-day operations budget of Illinois government, according to Ralph Martire, executive director of the Center for Tax and Budget Accountability.

But Martire said only $1.6 billion of that amount, less than 24 percent, was needed to cover the so called normal cost of pensions, benefits actually earned by employees in 2016. The other $5.2 billion amounted to late payment charges.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 24, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yet the Illinois Dept of Insurance says its $185 billion.

quote:

The Illinois Department of Insurance released its two-year report on every public pension in the state. From 2015 to 2016, Illinois' 671 pension funds added $17 billion in additional unfunded liabilities, bringing it up to $185 billion.
The $251 is Moody's estimate, but where are they getting that number?

quote:

Illinois has outstanding debt of about $32 billion, of which 82% is general obligation.
Even outstanding debt plus unfunded pension liability only equals 217B.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pretty sure our lovely regressive income tax is written into the State Constitution so it’ll require an amendment to institute a progressive income tax.

Edit: yep

quote:

To amend the Constitution to allow for a graduated income tax, three-fifths of the members in both chambers of the General Assembly must vote in favor of an amendment by May 6, 2016. There are currently two amendments up for consideration that would allow for a graduated income tax — one in the House and one in the Senate.

If one of the amendments clears both chambers, it would then appear on the 2016 general election ballot. To become a part of the state’s Constitution, it would have to receive the support of either three-fifths of those voting on the question or the majority of those voting in the election. The governor does not have the power to veto constitutional amendments approved by the General Assembly.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fantastic Flyer posted:

A progressive tax rate will require voter approval? Yeah, that poo poo's never getting passed.

We could always have another Constitutional Convention!

Edit:

Actually if I'm reading that right EITHER 3/5ths of the assembly has to pass it OR a public majority has to vote in favor of it, but only the Assembly vote can't be overidden by the governor? Gah, its complicated, read the article.

A constitutional convention could probably also fix the pension thing by capping payouts to those making 100K a year or higher. Right now a LOT of money is going to 4% of pension collectors. Its in one of the articles I linked above.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 25, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

On and off I hear about the abortion thing, but my sense in Republicanland is that nobody is really that upset at Rauner, save activists.

Then again, they're the ones who vote in primaries so who knows?

Pretty much this. If she wins its a Dem lock unless they do something terminally stupid like Madigan throws his hat in the race or someone turns up in a dead girl/live boy situation.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Devo posted:

Is there any semi-unbiased source for information on congressional primary candidates? Specifically district 13 since that's where I'm at and Rodney Davis is a twat and I'd really like to elect someone who can beat him.

Hey Devo. Here's Ballotpedia's entry on the various candidates

Article on the recently-held Dem candidate forum from WILL Public Radio

Here's a story about Jon Ebel. He favors moving towards single payer healthcare and more funding for college, former Navy Intelligence, Religion professor from UIUC, relatively unknown, white male. Wants to move back towards 'bipartisanship.' Has 75k on hand as of this article, $206,000 total to date as of Feb. 3rd

Angel Sides is a dark horse candidate, substitute teacher and campaign volunteer (Sanders, Durbin, etc) running from Springfield. Very liberal, no political experience. Popped up out of nowhere at the Dec. filing. Hasn't raised enough to bother filing anything as of Feb. 3rd.

Erik Jones is a lawyer from Edwardsville. One of the two favored to win. Jones is a former policy director and assistant attorney general for the Illinois Attorney General's Office. He also served as counsel to the House Committee on Energy & Commerce and Oversight & Government Reform. He also worked in the Senate, serving as deputy general counsel and chief investigative counsel for the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce. Endorsed by the League of Conservation Voters. Raised $353,000 total as of Feb. 3rd. Favors a Medicare for all kind of buy-in.

Perennial also-ran David Gill, a doctor from Champaign. Mostly healthcare focused. Smart enough, says the right things but this'll be his sixth loving time challenging for this seat, give it a rest, dude, the people have spoken and they say 'meh.' (He did come within 1000 votes in 2012 and blamed an independent liberal candidate for his loss then). Raised $70,000 so far but only has a few thousand in the bank as of Feb. 3rd. Repeal and replace Obamacare with nationalized health care proponent.

Betsy Dirksen Londrigan is the establishment Dem choice and the other favorite. She was a fundraiser for Dick Durbin and her experience here shows in her numbers. Declines to come right out and support single-payer, wishy washy on 2nd amendment, etc etc. Endorsed by Emily's List and Dick Durbin if that means anything to you. Only distantly related to Everett Dirksen the Republican House member from the 60s who the courthouse in IL and Dirksen Bldg in DC are named after. Raised $237,740 as of Feb. 3rd

I'm personally leaning towards Erik Jones in this one, mostly because Londrigan leaves a bad taste in my mouth (typical Illinois politics bullshit) and the others feel like vanity campaigns (as tempting as Ebel's platform is). Also having an experienced investigative attorney on hand on the Dem side with upcoming investigations into Republican malfeasance will definitely come in handy.

brugroffil posted:

That doesn't seem extremely shady at all
Welcome to Illinois; you must be new here!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A crooked billionaire? Say it ain’t so. Yeah I’m coming down on the Biss train. He’ll drop his dumb tax and come around on legalizing pot and taxing the poo poo out of it and if he’s smart send all the proceeds to paying off all the pension and debt obligations.

Who’s everyone want for AG? I’m leaning towards Renato but that’s just because I appreciate his ability to explain complicated legal poo poo in a way I can understand without making me feel dumb (his twitters a pro follow FYI).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

And Pritzker's even shelling out extra money so you can't skip his drat ads. C'mon dude my kid just wants to watch loving funny youtube videos at bedtime, stop interrupting my family time.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

More Dem governor's nom race news.

You can watch the last Dem governor candidate's debate on youtube. 1:22 (from end of Jan)

Pritzker refused to be on March 5th's downstate-located debate because he's already agreed to six which has led to WCIA 3 (E. Central Illinois tv station) to cancel it.

A Feb. 21st debate at UIS will be broadcast live on the radio but not on television. Pritzker will attend that one.

This means no televised live debates outside of Chicago area for the first time in... a while. Not a great look for Pritzker.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dexo posted:

I've used Google Music since the start.

And Oh god there are election ads on YT for state races?

Holy poo poo that sounds insufferable.

Oh yeah. OOH yeah. Pritzker has enough money to make them unskippable too. Hell I've gotten ads on my GODDAMN PHONE playing games for politicians.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hey y’all the 21st (Illinois public radio show about politics) interviewed everyone running for governor (except Rainer who wouldn’t return their calls for some reason heh) and put them and bios etc up on their webpage if you want to hear from the candidates in their own words:
https://will.illinois.edu/21stshow/program/our-interviews-with-seven-of-the-candidates-for-illinois-governor

Also you should really be listening to the 21st if you want to really be informed on what’s up in Springfield.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

How often do they do political segments? I’m not sure I could keep up with a daily, I mostly just listen to State Week.

State Week is also good and there's a lot of overlap (I think half the hosts are the same).

It seems like every show has some mention of something or other going on political-wise. You can check out their webpage for synopsis of shows if you're real hard up for time. They play during the lunch hour near me so its fairly easy to have it on in the car on background or whatever.

Speaking of which, they also did a series of interviews with the Atty Gen candidates.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I just got SMS spammed from JB Pritzker. Not sure if it's automated or just campaign workers sending them out and responding. No idea how they got my number.

Did you donate to any Democrats in the last 10 years? If so that's how.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Looks like that progressive tax may be finally coming...but it hits middle and even a lot of low income earners hard. Sorry if this has been talked about here already but a year after a big tax hike, and right after the SALT limits were imposed, this...this is something.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=3522&GAID=14&GA=100&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=105373&SessionID=91

Starting with people who make less than $18k, it's a tax hike. If you make $30k, half of your income will be taxed at 1.32% over the current rate.

edit: specifically, from $15k-$250k the rate is 6.27%. :drat:

6.25%. But it looks like its gonna die in committee hasn't moved since 2/14. And yeah like every other attempt at this it'll be unconstitutional.
So sayeth the Illinois Constitution:

quote:

SECTION 3. LIMITATIONS ON INCOME TAXATION
(a) A tax on or measured by income shall be at a
non-graduated rate. At any one time there may be no more than
one such tax imposed by the State for State purposes on
individuals and one such tax so imposed on corporations. In
any such tax imposed upon corporations the rate shall not
exceed the rate imposed on individuals by more than a ratio
of 8 to 5.
(b) Laws imposing taxes on or measured by income may
adopt by reference provisions of the laws and regulations of
the United States, as they then exist or thereafter may be
changed, for the purpose of arriving at the amount of income
upon which the tax is imposed.
(Source: Illinois Constitution.)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Big Black Dick posted:

I don't think it's any coincidence at all that the Trib was the one to drop this 6 days before the primary. I mean, it's awesome he's getting called the gently caress out, but there's no way this wasn't a calculated move by what has become a right wing soapbox in many ways.

'Become' would insinuate they weren't always a right-wing rag.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Kass I think is strictly op-ed, but he gets a prominent position. He's on page 2, where the rest of the op-eds are back on like page 10 or something.

Yeah Kass is one of those 'lifestyle' columnist types. He's got ins with the cops and the pols and has covered local politics for years (he joined the Trib in 1980) so he has a lot of insider news on it but he's typical Repub.

The reporting at the Tribune is solid but the Op-Ed and columnists are all rock-ribbed Repubs as are the owners.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jesus gently caress money really does buy anything in this country.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lager posted:

I didn't see that at my location (also 18th) but it was straight up empty in there. Interested to see what the turnout numbers were like today, been hearing lower than anticipated.

My polling place is in a very Republican area and I was only voter 56 by lunch. So yeah I'd say it was low.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Berrios is down 35% to 43% with 5% in. I'm watching the Chicago Sun-Times livefeed here: https://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/illinois-primary-election-2018-results-analysis-live-updates/

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

43% Pritzker 30% Biss 25% Kennedy with 22% in, Biss in second, that's better than expected.

5th district 55 precincts reporting. Lamont Robinson leads 39-28% Ken Duncan's at 18% Just over half reporting. Open seat; used to be Pritzker's lt. gov's.

Rauner 53% Ives 47% with 8% reporting, wow that's closer than it should be.

Pritzker 44% Biss and Kennedy tied at 27% with 8% in.

42 of 72 precincts reporting Erin Ortiz 53% is ahead of Dan Burke (brother of Ed Burke this is gonna be an upset if it happens)

Looks like its between Quinn and Raoul, Raoul's currently leading for atty gen 29-25%. Fairley 13% Rotering 12%
On the Rep side Erika Harold's walking away with it with 63% of the vote.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 21, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well aside for a few upsets looks like establishment Dems ran the table. On the plus side Dem turnout was really darn high and republican turnout low, Rauner got a serious vote of no-confidence, and while I don't see anyone being all that hung ho to volunteer for Pritzker he'll infuse a bunch a money into the state hiring election workers so at least people gonna get paid and I haven't heard a peep from anyone about staying home on Election Day.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hand Row posted:

What are you doing where you still view commercials?

Not paying for Youtube Red (Pritzker was all over Youtube the past month or so)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

*sigh* Good. I guess. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll turn out to be another Mark Dayton or something.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

I don't know if it would qualify as "dirty tricks" but Obama used some pretty specious petition challenges in his first IL senate race:

Like the story said, it was all *legal* but it was also kinda shady.

That's loving classic Illinois politics. Like Underhanded Yet Legal poo poo 101. There's even a name for it: Challenge Season

There's also the fun when your own party tells you to take a seat and wait your turn/let someone else run. E.g. 'you show us you can raise 250K out of your contacts list and we'll think about supporting you, otherwise you get 0 help from the party (no cash, no voter lists, no polls nothing), local media ignores your campaign, and we endorse your challenger and give them money and point the media in their direction while telling you we'll remain impartial.'

ANYTHING in their past is fair game. Dig up that background they oh so painstakingly wrote and have one of their exes show up with a love child (great if they're married) or accusations of infidelity or sexual harassment or drinking/drug problems or racism/sexism/ableism etc etc. (when he was 12 all he would do is call people fags on XBox Live it was like every other word out of his mouth. Do we really want a homophobe like that in office?) If he's clean, focus on his wife/kids/parents/siblings. Anything that could be made to look shady whether it is or not. Win the lottery? Fraud and connections in the Lottery Commission. Make a good real estate investment? Obviously pulling strings somewhere or owe someone a favor in return.

Have deep-pocketed supporters show up and offer to help fund their campaign only to later prove problematic for any/all of the above reasons (this guy is crooked as they come and is obviously trying to buy Candidate X; look how much money he/she has donated! Tell me there's no quid pro quo there!) Bonus points if you have said rich/powerful patrons offer to call in favors/bend the rules to help them out and they agree and then it comes to light.

My personal favorite - voter suppression. Chicago wrote the book on this poo poo. From bricks through storefront windows with signs in them showing support for the wrong candidate to robocalling all your election judges and telling them they have to have more training to do their jobs on election day or not bother showing up so lines stretch out the door and people give up and go home to having your polling place in the basement of people's houses there's so much to choose from.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Mining the background is something I'm already up on. Plus, they're a werewolf, so it's going to be tough keeping that under wraps!

El-Oh-El hope they enjoy frenzying when lied about and insulted constantly and ripping the Veil apart on live tv during a debate. This is what kinfolk're for dipshit.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So Ameya Pawar has been busy since he stepped down from running for governor. One Illinois just went live.

quote:

Shadowy political operatives dealing in disingenuous news create divisions by race, class, and geography. They declare that taxes are inherently evil at the same time they suggest the state is too debt-ridden to take care of its own people.

At One Illinois, we reject the narrative that would divide us along party lines and by political affiliation. We reject the notion that Illinois is a state in decline without the resources to solve its own problems. And we reject, above all else, those who would divide us for political gain.

We see those who point fingers at the causes for the state’s population loss, and we say, “Look in the mirror. When you run the state down, is it any wonder that many should feel driven to leave for somewhere else?”

Yes, Illinois has been roiled by economic change over the last 30 or 40 years, but that’s been felt in river cities and farm-manufacturing towns same as in the industrial belt of Chicago. And some things haven’t changed. People still want good jobs. They yearn for a sense of unity and security. They want to see investment in their neighborhoods — good schools, vital business districts, safe roads. These are not partisan issues.

Thus, we introduce One Illinois, a new nonprofit statewide news outlet intended to confront these issues by telling the stories of Illinoisans. One of the basic responsibilities of journalism is to confront social problems and promote needed change. We intend to tell stories about people and their communities that inspire that change.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I mean at least Millennials would have a candidate that embodies their attitude toward the current political climate.

In the current political climate a werewolf shredding the Veil (and his.her opponent) on live tv would probably win in a landslide for coming out, wing honest about who and what they are, and killing a politician. Plus the ratings man, the ratings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

pseudosavior posted:

Sometimes, the politics don't even matter, some people just won't vote for minorities.

This is a good point. Is it a white werewolf we're talking about here?