Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Rockford has like two of its largest construction projects ever both happening right now, so it's got that going for it. My employer also owns a road construction business, I wonder how much the state budget has affected their bottom line. I definitely know they've slowed down the last year.

Chicago also remains a place everyone loves to leave. Although I think a lot of that is restricted to the south and west sides.
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Chicago-Tops-List-of-Cities-Residents-Are-Moving-From-443983463.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Chicagoans don't even vacation downstate, we all go to Wisconsin and Michigan. I think that giant cross outside of Effingham (I think that's where it is) scares everyone off.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Has anyone even officially thrown their hat in the ring? I thought it was all just speculation now anyway.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Jesus, Rauner really knows how to make lovely ads. Just saw one with a bunch of Republican governors from neighboring states all smugly talking about how many jobs they’re. poaching from Illinois because of Madigan. Not like that can backfire against Rauner at all.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Eh I thought it was kind of creative compared to the other stuff he's put out.

I liked Kennedy when he spoke out about the property tax scam but that's about all he's said that's impressed me. Biss is remarkable stupid on economic stuff which isn't appealing with the state in financial peril. I'm leaning toward JB right now as he's said everything I want to hear and I think he'd crush Rauner in a general. You mentioned you don't trust him, why is that? I tried to look through his history to find times when he's hosed a bunch of people over and I can't come up with it. I'm guessing he's embellished his record a bit but he seems like a decent guy from what I can see (although I'm open to being proven wrong).

More creative yes, but seeing Scott Walker smugly talk poo poo about Illinois is not endearing in any way. That and seeing Indiana billboards about how much better it is to work there than Illinois for so many years makes me hate them too.

I'm really sad Pawar dropped out, even though he had no shot at winning. At least I could have voted for someone I liked.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The X-man cometh posted:

All Madigan or Pritzker have to say is "Madigan was here when we weren't losing jobs, too" and run it 100 times a day.

I very well could be wrong, but I think any Democratic nominee is best to just ignore Madigan. Rauner always seems to target Madigan, but the Democrats just need to attack Rauner, if they start defending Madigan, then the whole race just becomes a referendum on him and the Democratic party. Not like they can do much about Madigan anyway.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea that’s pretty good for a political ad. It’s the best way to attack Prtizker too, try to attach him to Rauner and Trump via the money. Most of the Democrats are very similar when it comes to policy, so you kind of have to attack on character.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Luis Gutierriez not running again in the 4th district. Chuy Garcia expected to run to replace him, and I would say he has a pretty good chance. Chuy is a lot like Luis I feel, hell I wouldn't even mind Chuy being in Congress for a little bit and trying to make another stab at mayor or even governor depending on who we have in each spot.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oracle posted:

So why'd he step down? Another incoming sexual harrassment scandal or the numbers showed he wasn't a lock or Rahm calling in favors or what? Also actual article link you lazy Chicago fuckers.

He's 63 and has been in congress for 24 years. Maybe he just wants to retire, or just do stuff close to home.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

He's always been big on immigration, which is a big thing for the 4th district. He's also working on getting Puerto Ricans resettled in Chicago right now.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Now the rumor is he wants to run for President.

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/935902021185687552

That's pretty ballsy. I would think it would be more of a play to be VP or something. I just don't see how he builds up a national name enough to get the support, and being the Latino/immigration candidate will only help in some of the heavy Latino states.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's really just a guilty by association thing, I mean listen to the scary music! I doubt it swings much anyway, but it does show that Rauner is scared of running against Pritzker, probably because he's one of the few candidates that can outspend himself.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

He was at a 30% approval rating in November, so that's a pretty accurate statement. Democrats would have to do something monumentally stupid to lose this election, but where there's a will, there's a way.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Carol Marin went to my high school. That’s all I got.

Niwrad posted:

I haven't really decided who I'm voting for yet outside of whoever has the best shot to unseat Berrios.

With Governor, I'm leaning toward Pritzker despite hating voting for a billionaire. I like his policies and he looks like a lock to beat Rauner. Kennedy is too sketchy from what I've seen. And while Biss has his heart in the right place, he's remarkably stupid on economic stuff which is pretty important for this state.

Who is the most likely to unseat Berrios? If he makes it to the general, I’m probably voting for the republican. I can’t stand Berrios.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

My biggest concern about Biss is that he has no backbone, he caved on Ramirez-Rosa very quickly. The election with Rauner is probably going to be vicious because Rauner will just spend endless amounts of money. Can Biss fight Rauner the whole way through? It's really the Democrats election to lose though, so any D might win without trying too much. Rauner is at like 30% approval, and this could be a wave election for Democrats. I'm still up in the air on who to vote for, but even with my concerns, I'm probably still going with Biss.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I think Kennedy is targeting the African American community. He talks about gun violence a lot, and that is obviously a pretty big issue. Possibly a smart move, try to get most of the AA vote, and hope that Pritzker and Biss split the white vote. I can't tell if anyone is specifically courting the Latinx vote though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oracle posted:

He talks about gun violence a lot because HIS DAD AND UNCLE WERE ASSASSINATED. His running mate's son was also shot and killed. C'mon people.

Which reminds me I don't think anyone posted this tone-deaf exchange that led to him leaving the stage at a debate.

Yes, I'm aware of what happened. I'm just saying that gun violence has appeared to be his main talking point. He had ads that were strictly about ending gun violence. I think it's a smart move for him because of how much it affected him.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Volkerball posted:

As dipshit Republicany as Rauner is, he's at least been a cork at times. He probably saved the state from bankruptcy a few days by prolonging the budget debate. They ended it by taking out a loan to pay off interest, so the result was the same, but he drug it out to the skinniest of deadlines and made a big show of opposing the Democrats. It didn't help the state of Illinois better its financial position any, but it may have given a little tax relief to anyone in the state who may be stuck there living paycheck to paycheck. So in that situation I think gridlock probably paid off. If either party had total control, they would've long since passed a lavish budget that showered money on the people close to them. Getting poo poo like that through congress and signed off would be no problem because they wouldn't have to frame things through the spectrum of national Democrat/Republican politics. That is kind of a scary idea given, like, Illinois.

Putting a Democratic governor in right now might spoil our chances at a 3-peat. We could have 3 straight governors where not one of them goes to prison. Hasn't happened since the '50s. Quinn, they checked him out or whatever but I think if they were gonna put out a warrant they would've done it already. So it was a close one but I think we're safe with Quinn. Rauner, I'm gonna give a hesitant I don't think he'll go to prison. He could, he absolutely could, don't get me wrong. I just haven't heard any rumblings yet and they've had a little while to manifest. We'll see, time will tell. But if he comes out with no warrants, then it's gonna be really important for this third governor to not end up in a cell so that we don't break the streak. And if we end up with another Blago situation, we might as well reset the clock now. It's all really sketchy ground. It's like whatever door you open, the governor probably goes to prison, you know? Good lord.

Rauner has probably hurt the Illinois economy more than any Democrat has for the last 20 years. On the other point, what makes you so sure that the next Democrat to be governor is getting arrested for corruption? Republicans get thrown in jail too, or are we forgetting Dennis Hastert all of a sudden.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

D'oh, I don't know how that one got by me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I haven't watched it, but the Trib is pretty much saying that Ives crushed Rauner in their debate yesterday. I guess that is going to be the only Republican debate before the primaries. I doubt it makes a difference though, unless Rauner is really hated that much by Republicans.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Well JB Pritzker now has attack ads out on Biss, so I guess he thinks Biss might be trouble for him.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Does anyone know anything about Fritz Kaegi? He is running for Cook County Assessor as a Democrat, trying to unseat Berrios. Just got a mailer about an event, and it is like three blocks away from me. Tempted to go, but I'm not going to bother if he sucks. I'm ready to vote for nearly anyone who is not Berrios though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Saw the Ives ad in the wild this morning, I think it was airing during the morning NBC news, saw it while flipping around. I hope she wins the primary because my cat would win a race against her.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

I don't think the recordings are that bad. Sounds like the stuff you'd expect to hear when people talk politics. But if there are more tapes and they keep slowly getting released, I think that becomes an issue for him. Then people start asking why he was talking to Blago so much and just how close was he to him.

In other news, Raila might be thrown off the ballot. I read that you need more signatures to run for this post than the Governor.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-cook-assessor-ballot-20180205-story.html

Well this would be good for Kaegi, since there's less likely to be an anti-Berrios split.

The Prtizker stuff mostly just seems like "guilty by association" for talking with Blago. I don't think anything he says in there is really damning. My biggest concern is that Rauner has some big bomb he's sitting on waiting for Pritzker to win the nomination.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm hoping for a Blair Hull thing here with Pritzker. Hull, in 2004, had way more money than anyone else, ran ads way earlier than everyone else, had good polling numbers because he was the only one advertising for months, but it all came crashing down a couple months before the primary because of past scandals. I don't hate Pritzker, but I really don't want our politics to turn into the billionaires only club.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

You might want to sit down... I have some bad news for you.

There aren't that many billionaires in politics. Sadly, I am willing to live with a millionaires only club.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Oh, you were talking about the actual candidates. Yeah, those are mostly 'mere' millionaires. But every billionaire I can think of is extremely active in politics; they just don't actually run for anything. Sorry about that.

Oh, yea only candidates. I completely understand that every billionaire in the world is trying to influence our politics in some way.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Wasn’t there some progressive website that usually endorsed good progressive candidates? I can’t remember what it was called. Something like Illinois Progressives, or maybe it was the Progressive Democrats of Illinois. Someone, maybe Willa, used to talk about it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yes! Thanks.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Is this Legionnaires' problem going to gently caress Rauner so much he loses the primary?

No, but a man can hope

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Big Black Dick posted:

Only 9 more months to go! :suicide:

I'm not sure if it's going to be better or worse in a month. On one hand, it'll just be two candidates, but then that means you'll just see the same ad even more often instead of mixing it up between Biss, Kennedy, JB, Rauner, and Ives ads.

I still laugh at Ives ads where she openly mocks Chicago. Good luck winning a statewide election mocking the largest city.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Good to see Democrats doing a good job of sabotaging themselves. Although this just goes on the pile of evidence for why Madigan is a piece of poo poo.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ha, I just saw an Ives ad that tries to tie Rauner to Obama somehow, that’s a new one.

Anyway, my thoughts on Pritzker are that I refuse to vote for a billionaire. Maybe this counts as a hot take, but anyone who is a billionaires doesn’t actually give a poo poo about people. The guy has obviously used his money to influence politics in the state and country for a long time, and now we’re supposed to think he’s some guy out there for the middle class? It’s just Trump like bullshit from the left.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dexo posted:

There is no "Trump bullshit from the left" and I loving hate that type of assertion.

Problem with Trump isn't that he's a (alleged) billionaire. The problem is that he is a personification of the policies of the right. He has taken all if the rights subtext and made it text. I hate how much influence money has in politics as much as the next guy and am under no illusion that any pol is "one of us" but that seems disengenuous as fuuuuck.

JB or Biss, or Kennedy could be lying their rear end off and it wouldn't shock me all that much if any of them were. They would still likely be a remarkable improvement over our current lovely governor.

What I mean by Trump bs from the left is that Trump spent most of his campaign and presidency saying poo poo he really didn’t care about, but it’s what his base wanted to hear. He’s still an rear end in a top hat, I just think Trump is too dumb to have a real position on anything.

I question whether Pritzker believes in any of the stuff he advocates for now. If he did care about it, why wasn’t he using his influence to push for it before? And like Trump and Rauner, he’s another rich guy with no political experience, and that has turned out like poo poo.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

The whole field is good but Fairley is really good.

Can you expand on why he is good? I've been planning on voting for Kwame, but I haven't done that much research.

The more I think about this primary, the more I realize how open all of the races are. I don't think I've had to do this much thinking about candidates in a long time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I only wish this came out maybe a week ago, to catch more early voters. My gut tells my JB still wins the primary, but I hope not.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Big Black Dick posted:

I don't think it's any coincidence at all that the Trib was the one to drop this 6 days before the primary. I mean, it's awesome he's getting called the gently caress out, but there's no way this wasn't a calculated move by what has become a right wing soapbox in many ways.

Oh I'm definitely not shocked this came from the Trib. I feel like they have definitely tried to get Pritzker more than a few times.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oracle posted:

'Become' would insinuate they weren't always a right-wing rag.

My work gets the Trib delivered every day, so I peruse it at work. Some things I read and think they're not that bad. Then I see the headline for the John Kass column and I try to keep my head from exploding. The guy follows the right wing talking points to a tee. Today was a thing saying that Elizabeth Warren should get a DNA test to prove if she's Native American.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kass I think is strictly op-ed, but he gets a prominent position. He's on page 2, where the rest of the op-eds are back on like page 10 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

There are no good candidates for governor, just ones that are less bad. Voted Friday, got in and out super fast. I used to love voting on election day, but it’s hard to pass up the convenience.