Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Trevor Hale posted:

I legit love the Lincoln Library.

the lincoln library genuinely owns, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

baquerd posted:

If you got rid of the crooked pensions, there would be less opportunity for graft, but the issue is one not of pensions, but of investment managers charging exorbitant fees and there being significant corruption everywhere in Illinois government, which is a subject only incidentally related to pensions. Many of these same issues would crop up with 401k systems. The averages are being brought down by people who never really made that much, but tens of millions if not hundreds of millions can be freed by curtailing the fat cats that abuse the system. By curtailing and capping pensions though, we can at least stem the bleeding until the political will to call these crooks to task is gathered.

it is always instructuve to see the libertarian understanding of fulfilling contracts as moral imperative evaporate the split second one of the little people stands to benefit from such an arrangement

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

baquerd posted:

I like to think we can have both a strong social safety net and roughhousing capitalism.

i like to think people's faces and leopards trained specifically to eat people's faces can coexist, but for some reason my theme park proposal's not attracting investors

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dexo posted:

I'm more interested in him than Quinn.

faint praise, damning etc etc

yeah, with pritzger there's the question of whether his heart will explode while in office

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

brugroffil posted:

So are there any liberal groups/think tanks with policy papers out there on various ways to fix Illinois? Pretty much only ever exposed to IPI trash

constitutional convention is basically the only way that doesn't involve telling every pensioner involved to eat poo poo and die

spoiler warning, we're going to go with option B

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

All of my Republican friends (not the ones that work in politics but the everyday ones) have been going on and on about how the last two Democratic governors went to jail so Pritzker will too.

Dear god....

insha'allah

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

i believe i can speak for all in the great city of chicago not presently employed by the CPD, and indeed the whole of the great state of illinois, when I say: "heh"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Volkerball posted:

I drive to work every day. Of course it's important. So was enhancing pension obligations so that government employees could retire comfortably. But in the end those people are gonna get hosed, and the same can be said about the state of Illinois' infrastructure if we try to replace it when we don't have the money. The state has a massive amount of debt, and the worst credit rating in the country. That is going to manifest itself somewhere, whether it be in increased funding towards debt, or decreased funding for programs and projects. In lieu of those, with the kick the can strategy of the last several years, Illinois financial security is going to degrade even further underneath the surface until it forces itself onto the table again. With the scale of the financial disaster we're flirting with, I'll happily hit the pothole. Put some crossed orange flags next to it like they do in Canada and call it a day.

if only there were some vast reservoir of money being burned to absolutely no purpose beyond fileted journalists and massacred yemenis, which government could use, to solve this problem

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TMMadman posted:

Shouldn't they arrest all Teamsters for doing little to no work?

doing that tends to increase the frequency with which your stuff falls off trucks.

there's a great Dollop episode on Moving Day in New York. it turns out that the guys who move your stuff from point A to point B are in a very good position to make your life hell if you do not play nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Shere posted:

Northbrook, Deerfield, Buffalo Grove, etc. all seemed to have taken it super super seriously. Northbrook had drive-thru mask handouts for residents back in March and April. The Woodman's in Buffalo Grove is 100% masks on or they don't want your business. I'm a big fan.

I mean this area is also suburbs.jpg, I gotta imagine theres not a lot of people around who are stuck going in to work in person

agreed on the Woodman's tho, it's been extremely convenient