Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

My best friend sent me a batch of lyrics I wrote back in 2003-2006 that I lost after reformatting my computer, and while they're kinda cringey teenage metal lyrics, they inspired me to start working on am ep of songs from those lyrics, but trying to capture the mood and atmosphere of what I was listening to and inspired by back then.

I have one track recorded already (of 5 sets of lyrics) that I need to lay vocals on, and a second that has a very rough demo recorded already.

So far it feels different than what I've been writing for my main project, and the freedom to experiment with different styles has been incredibly inspiring.

This is the first track

https://soundcloud.com/davidplaysgloomymusic/ghost-show-demo-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

LargeHadron posted:

What sort of music do you normally write? Did you perform all of the instrumental parts for this demo?

I played the guitar and built the drums from loops because I don't play drums.

I usually write what I generally refer to as "Gloom Metal" but it tends to be sad shoegazy metal....stuff.

That track feels like it could slide in with my usual stuff pretty easily, but I think when I give it a second pass I'm going to try and get a bit of a colder, lo-fi sound.

Edit: for clarification, this track is from my main project and the general direction that project tends to take https://soundcloud.com/davidplaysgloomymusic/walking-in-shadows-laura-palmer-mix-v1

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 29, 2017

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

LargeHadron posted:

I listened to both tracks you linked, and then I browsed (visually) the rest of your SoundCloud. It looks like you have a lot of demo material and very little, if any, completed and polished works. What are you ultimately hoping to do with this material?

Most of what is sitting on my soundcloud with the exception of a few more recent demos is stuff that will likely never be anything more than it is and was just rough ideas that I recorded so I wouldn't lose them.

The goal is to be able to release an EP/album under the main project name, it's just a bit daunting.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Hi, now I am officially recording an album!

I assume moments where you suddenly think everything you wrote sucks are normal?

I think that's just part of being a musician. If you don't think everything you wrote is trash at some point in the process I think you're doing it wrong.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Chewybiteems posted:

https://exitmundi.bandcamp.com/album/catharsis

Currently working on the follow-up to this. It's a solo metal album I made in a no-budget bedroom studio over 2-3 months, so it's not a huge production, but I think it was an important step as far as learning to express myself through music goes, and I'm proud that I managed to actually finish the thing. I think it still has a very rough demo quality about it and it's hard to show to people, but I learned quite a lot about self production in the process of making it. Right now I'm essentially attempting to re-do the idea with new tracks and themes, and improved production quality, and really take my time with it this time. Dig through/release all the bad ideas so I can get to the bottom where the good stuff is.

I dig it. Definitely can hear the Townsend influence in places.