Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Hi, I guess I'm doing something resembling writing an album, but my recording/producing situation is somewhat laughable. All I have are MIDI renders of what songs 'should' sound like, at the moment. I don't know if anyone would be game to hear those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

LargeHadron posted:

For real OP, how did you get the YouTube video image to look that way? Did you have to create the still image in Photoshop and then do some MovieMaker BS to play audio over it? I ask because I've seen a lot of audio-only videos that look the same way, and I figured there must be a service that lets you upload album art and metadata then creates the video for you. At least I'm hoping there is.

Those videos are generated automatically by YouTube on the Artist - Topic channels.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

On the subject of appreciation, I always thought the various mediums had varying pros and cons to being an amateur in search of recognition. Visual art is great because you can appreciate it instantly, you don't need to hook someone in and keep their attention for three minutes or however long. The other thing is that visual art and literature are generally mediums where the score is the same thing as the final piece, this isn't generally the case in music so it can be more hit and miss for laypeople to understand the work required and intricacies. It is very soul crushing indeed, or it can be if you let apathy get to you like I sometimes do.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

You've created a corrupted, dark butterfly whose spawn will inevitably rule the world.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Hi, now I am officially recording an album!

I assume moments where you suddenly think everything you wrote sucks are normal?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

LargeHadron posted:

Ha, totally. So are the moments where strangers on the internet tell you in no uncertain terms that everything you wrote sucks, and friends and family listen to what you wrote and never speak a word about it to you, or just never listen to it in the first place despite trying to start awkward conversations about it when you see them...goddamnit.

Serious answer, I had a teacher once who told me that if you already know that what you compose will be well-received, then you aren't making good art. I think there need to be a few qualifiers on that statement before I'm willing to agree with it, but I can get behind it as a general sentiment. Your art might never be appreciated for reasons beyond its quality, and if you give up because of that then you'll never give yourself the chance to become appreciated. I hope you're willing to commit to the long haul. I have my own doubts often.

Wow, thanks a lot! It's always good to have a battle-tested outside voice who's been there.
I have most of basic recording done, a friend who's doing drums for me. It's a modest first release, a short 7 tracks in 27 minutes. Then, I have to learn to fill out a mix, actually mix, and master.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

LargeHadron posted:

I'm looking forward to hearing it. Be sure to post when it's done.

Goodness, thank you! Let me correct myself, though: 9 tracks, let's say 35 minutes.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

e: wrong place for sharing demos! I'm almost done with basic recording sans vocals, but I might have to go back and redo stuff

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Right, update time! Believe it or not, I haven't given up, and have been working the whole time! I look at the posts of a me several months past and laugh at his naivete. I've learned so much about recording and mixing. Unfortunately, it appears my connections to a drummer and so forth have fallen through, I'm not looking forward to shelling out $90 a song to get drums recorded :sigh:

Anyway! I'm about done recording guitars and scratch vocals (I think!), would anyone be kind enough to sit through rough mixes and give me pointers?

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 13, 2018