Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I'm over halfway through recording my first album (I released my debut EP in May). I'm nobody's idea of a talented musician, and I mostly started recording out of a lack of any other hobbies, but I've been really happy with my sloppy, ultra lo-fi results.

here's one of the album demos, to give you an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnPDkxfOkpI

china bot fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

LargeHadron posted:

I listened to both the video and the EP. I wouldn't call it sloppy or particularly lo-fi, and you're absolutely a talented musician even if the music doesn't sound like anything that's currently popular.

I really dig "Killer of Children", which sounds very different from the album. I'm at a place where I appreciate clearly-understood vocals and candid lyrics. It reminds me a little of Parquet Courts in that regard. On the album, my favorite track was Puna Pau thanks to the 80s post-hardcore influence. The album didn't work for me as a whole, for similar reasons to what I told ricecult above about unity. It sounds more like a mixtape to me. Might work for others - I could certainly be a minority here. I wish it had all been in the direction of "Killer of Children".

On a different note, I know Chicago is a big place but I've got a group of friends there I could totally see you being "in" with musically. Do you happen to know the synth band Iverson?

I've never heard of Iverson, but I'm completely ignorant of the Chicago music scene in general. I'll give 'em a listen!

Also, thanks for your notes! The EP basically is a mixtape - the end result of a two-day recording session, my first time recording any music in over a decade, where the end goal was to prove I could make an EP longer than the Minutemen's debut EP while working out some ideas I got during a trip to Easter Island. So yeah, I can't argue with it lacking unity. I feel like the album already has a much more consistent sound than the EP, but it's something I'll try to be mindful of. Killer of Children and Puna Pau are the two tracks I'm proudest of, so I'm glad to hear you liked those!

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
I just finished my album: https://ladylonghorn.bandcamp.com/album/black-fox

Don't really know what to say about it - it's Beat Happening-esque noise rock. I'm still not much of a musician, and I mostly just wanted to see if I could make a cohesive album that was longer than 30 minutes.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

china bot posted:

I just finished my album: https://ladylonghorn.bandcamp.com/album/black-fox

Don't really know what to say about it - it's Beat Happening-esque noise rock. I'm still not much of a musician, and I mostly just wanted to see if I could make a cohesive album that was longer than 30 minutes.

update: I set up promo codes, so PM me if you're interested in a free download of this (while "supplies" last)

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
I started working on new material for an EP or album a few weeks ago, and here's the first demo I've finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe5zD216OeI

china bot fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 25, 2018