Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've been writing/recording my next album for the past 10 years.

My first album had the greatest songs I'd ever written. Which means this next album has to contain all new songs. And that's been a bit of a pain in my rear end.

Share your progress! Have you got the songs picked out? Are you going into a studio, or are you doing the home-studio thing? Or a mix of both?

So far, I've recorded my next album four times. Not happy with any of them, not happy enough to make public. SO NOW, I'm starting all over again, writing all new songs.

What are YOU doing with YOUR life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

LargeHadron posted:

Being serious? 10 years? I've written and recorded my first album over the course of this year, and I'm waiting on the producer/engineer/whatever to finish mixing it. It'll be pretty good. Well that's my story.

e: Why don't you tell us more about your album(s) first. It sounds like you've put a lot of work into your music.
My CD was an odd collection of funk/rock/blues, (too much rock for the Atlanta blues community, too much blues for the rock bars, so I settled into the jamband crowd.

My first album took maybe 6 months to record, another 6 months until the CD release party. And, even though EVERYONE said don't book the release party til you're holding the box full of CDs in your hand, I just KNEW my CD was the exception to that rule. I was wrong.

I've sold enough CDs for it to go plastic.

I recorded it in a great recording studio in Atlanta, after sharing some of my demos with them. They offered me a deal, they'd go in with me on the CD, share profits and if I got a record deal out of it, they'd get points.

I had it mastered by Rodney Mills, who mastered a TON of albums, (while I was there he talked about mastering Back In Black, he had a version that wasn't brickwalled, and I was dying to get a copy, he never shared it).

This might be my favorite from the CD. That's the fifth, or fiftieth guitar solo (3:15) I recorded and the engineer refused to let me do it over again. Wisely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1seBLLuXht4

I never got a record deal, so basically I got a TON of studio time in a great studio for super cheap.

I've got friends/fans who'll shoot me a message that they still have the CD in their player in their car, or it pops up on Pandora or Spotify, but for the most part, the CD never went anywhere, due entirely to my own lack of commitment. My goal was always to just remain a local artist, playing gigs when/where I wanted, (family, day job was first priority).

So overall, the experience was fantastic. The CD itself sounds drat good to me. I should have done a lot more to promote it, should've taken myself more seriously. Unfortunately, I started having a lot more fun with open bar tabs and nose candy. I don't regret it, but I'm not too motivated to get out there and do it again - despite wanting to do another CD just because I loved the experience of the first one.

Didn't mean to talk so much about my own crap, honest. More interested in other musician's recording stories.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Science Goy posted:

Our album/EP (over 40 minutes so it's kind of an album?) was released a few minutes ago! Spotify link

I joined up about six months ago after the last bassist got kicked out for fun drama stuff. These songs came together really well, and one more is ready to go for the next album already. We recorded this in a barn converted to a studio/rehearsal space, which was pretty sweet.

Tracks 1/3/5 were recorded on my Clement 5 string with four year old La Bella black nylon tapewounds, the other tracks are my G&L Tribute SB-2 with new La Bella white nylon tapewounds. Yes, tapewounds are the poo poo.

Holy poo poo that studio is nice. Gonna go check out the record now.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Morning Bell posted:

here is a pedalboard

I always want to post a huge pedalboard photo with an office phone or an iron next to the wah pedal.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sorry - never saw this post. I have no idea how they did it - it's through CD Baby, I think?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

magnificent7 posted:

I've been writing/recording my next album for the past 10 years.

What are YOU doing with YOUR life?

So, 4 years later, here's an update I never expected.

My 19-yr-old son started recording/publishing songs during the lockdown last year. In november 2020, he was offered a record deal. He signed it last month. He's got tiktoks with 300,000 views, he's made like $1000 off of SPOTIFY, with over 30,000 monthly listeners on there.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/22bvUzi8MgkpSKBWGB2vTJ

edit: in the space of 18 months, he's released maybe 3 albums/EPs.

I still haven't finished my album.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think it's fine, but there's a legendary thread stickied:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2292898