Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Superrodan posted:

I(I had never heard of him before and Iron Man did bonkers at the box office)

RDJ was a rising star til the mid 90's, then there was a 6 or so year period of drugs, alcohol, and multiple stints in prison/forced rehab for the same. Depending how old you are it wouldn't be surprising to have never heard of him since he didn't really get his poo poo together again til Kiss Kiss Bang Bang in 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, original run of family guy had a joke about Robert Downey Jr. flaming out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It was one of those names I remembered from growing up in the 90s, then I didn't know it was him in Iron Man and had to be told afterwards.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I don’t know if they’ve been posted but the 3rd and 4th episode names have been released

Oct. 11: The Snowplow
Oct. 18: Jeremy Bearimy

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

pwn posted:

I don’t know if they’ve been posted but the 3rd and 4th episode names have been released

Oct. 11: The Snowplow
Oct. 18: Jeremy Bearimy

Interesting, the season 3 titles were released a few weeks back, and has the second of those, but not the first.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
D'Arcy Carden and Jason Mantzoukis are on this week's Comedy Bang Bang. I haven't listened to it yet, but he is usually gold on there and her characters have been great too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Azhais posted:

RDJ was a rising star til the mid 90's, then there was a 6 or so year period of drugs, alcohol, and multiple stints in prison/forced rehab for the same. Depending how old you are it wouldn't be surprising to have never heard of him since he didn't really get his poo poo together again til Kiss Kiss Bang Bang in 2005.

Yeah, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, A Scanner Darkly and Good Night And Good Luck were him basically working his way back up in co-starring and featured supporting roles in small, in some cases arthouse-y films and then Iron Man set him on fire.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

MEJ and Mike Schur going off on an extensive swearing tear :allears:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Klungar posted:

MEJ and Mike Schur going off on an extensive swearing tear :allears:

Holy gently caress that was amazing. And the story Schur told about his daughter and Kristen Bell :kimchi:

E: and if you need more Ken Tremendous content, he and the showrunner of This is Us were on today's episode of the Bill Simmons podcast talking about everything. It was a good conversation.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 22, 2018

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

howe_sam posted:

Holy gently caress that was amazing. And the story Schur told about his daughter and Kristen Bell :kimchi:

I wish that whole podcast had been three hours long, I could have listened to stories like that for ages. (Also the bickering about whether Shawn is the most powerful being or not had me in stitches.)

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

howe_sam posted:

I've had a weird 48 hours or so but one of the weirdest was driving along and hearing that story and just bursting into tears.

And then again when they played the clip from the show with Eleanor and Michael talking about moral desserts.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?
As a person who tried a handful of true crime/murdery podcasts and found them boring and easy to tune out of - I LOVE this show's podcast.

It's fascinating to hear about the behind the scenes things that are specific and the general cool television production stuff.

Are there other podcasts like this? I don't know enough about them to know if this one is uniquely engaging or if it's just because it's subject matter I love and people I love.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Giga Pet giveaway posted:

As a person who tried a handful of true crime/murdery podcasts and found them boring and easy to tune out of - I LOVE this show's podcast.

It's fascinating to hear about the behind the scenes things that are specific and the general cool television production stuff.

Are there other podcasts like this? I don't know enough about them to know if this one is uniquely engaging or if it's just because it's subject matter I love and people I love.

there's podcasts about everything and if the only podcasts you've tried before are true crime/murder then you have a lot ahead of you

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Barry Bluejeans posted:

You're right - Iron Man May 2nd, Tropic Thunder August 13th.

I actually thought it was longer than that, like 6-7 months. They were definitely in production at the same time then. I kinda assumed they wouldn't be able to convince the world of the blackface thing unless he was already huge.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I just realized I'm 4 episodes behind in the podcast!

:getin:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwnz11l4Tj0

NBC finally figured out how to sell this show:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I like the West Wing Weekly, where Josh Malina and the guy from the podcast Sound Exploder discuss each episode of the West Wing. They are currently in the middle of season 5. Pretty much everyone who has been on the show has guested on it, with Brad Whitford, Dule Hill, and Allison Janney doing so multiple times (there us even a great moment where Allison Janey drunk dials them from Dule Hills wedding). They talk to actors, writers, and crew in charge of sets, props, costumes, etc. They also talk to the (Clinton and Obama) real life equivalents of the various staff and compare what the show got right and missed.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This fork must have heard the name “Bortles!!!” a billion time yesterday.

giant fork at the Jaguars game

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Podcasts are incredibly subjective and it depends on your personal taste.

I like improv comedy, D&D and far left wing podcasts, myself, the NPR ones are kinda boring to me but YMMV.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Breaking Bad podcast (sorry, I forget the specific title) was the precursor to this one. You get Michelle McLaren pretty much every time, with guests including rotating cast members and Vince Gilligan himself. It's really good if you like that show and if you like crime stuff, you should like that show.

Unlike this podcast, it only followed the show as it was airing, not as a retrospective like here. I mean, what kind of rear end in a top hat produces a podcast to recap a pilot anyway?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

will the podcast be doing the "live" weekly recap format for season 3?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

will the podcast be doing the "live" weekly recap format for season 3?
MEJ said in the last podcast that yes, the third season will be after every week’s show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yeah they even had some fun with the fact that it takes time to edit a podcast together, especially editing of the swearing sonthey spent five minutes working in as many forking shirtballs as possible.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If you want more Mike Schur content, and enjoy long rambling discussions of sports, hate the Yankees, drafts and other meaningless things there's the Poscast with Joe Posnanski.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
i started watching yesterday and I am now caught up. What is this podcast everyone is referring to?

Also, after they explore earth, the only place left to go is the good place, which will obviously be flawed, which requires that the Bobcats try to reform or change the whole system, because their ability to change and improve after death necessitates that the whole system is unjust.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

clockworkjoe posted:

i started watching yesterday and I am now caught up. What is this podcast everyone is referring to?

*ted danson voice* Its The Good Place: The Podcast and you can get it wherever all good podcasts can be found

Its very good, breaks down the series episode by episode and essentially serves as a companion podcast for each episode. Marc Evan Jackson (shawn) hosts it and is very good at hosting a podcast and I recommend checking it out even if you could give less of a poo poo about podcasts normally

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm looking forward to seeing the actual Good place, even if it's mostly organized into ideal neighborhoods like we saw in Michael's version of it there's bound to be some wrinkles to it when secret tortures aren't seeded in there.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

clockworkjoe posted:

https://art19.com/shows/the-good-place-the-podcast

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
if Micheal can prove that a person can get better after death, I wonder if the opposite is true, Can good place denizens after 100s or 1000s of years go bad?

is there a good place neighborhood out therr that went from idyllic paradise to Robocops Detroit?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Shuffle posted:

if Micheal can prove that a person can get better after death, I wonder if the opposite is true, Can good place denizens after 100s or 1000s of years go bad?

is there a good place neighborhood out therr that went from idyllic paradise to Robocops Detroit?

That's gotta come into play right? Like a neighborhood where the people are aware that their actions have no consequences so they just go full on hedonism.

I could see it coming into play when evaluating the time spent on Earth during "closing arguments" of the trial.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If that happens, I hope this strip gets a shoutout:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?
I rewatched season 2 as soon as it was on Netflix, then started bugging my sister to finish the first season so we could talk about it already.

One night we watched an episode on the phone together. After that she binged the rest of the season in one night, and every so often we'll watch a couple of episodes together.

Tonight we plan to finish the last three because...

It's going down TOMORROW people!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Will there be a new thread? I'm not good enough to write it, but it is a new season.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm happy to threaten to make a bare bones one tomorrow before the premiere.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

rewatching s02e01 and I forgot how Michael has such venom in his voice when he says "I'm so sorry madam please forgive me *finger snap*". Ted Danson can be really mean when he wants to

I also forgot that this is in response to Tahani's "I demand to speak to your superior", which sets off the amazing helltrip in episode 6 or 7.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

what time does the show premiere in the US? I just want to make sure I know when to stop reading the thread since oz netflix usually has a couple of hours delay on fresh stuff

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

what time does the show premiere in the US? I just want to make sure I know when to stop reading the thread since oz netflix usually has a couple of hours delay on fresh stuff

Is it definitely coming same-day to ours? I couldn't find out when I looked.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It premiers 8 PM EST September 27th

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

uvar posted:

Is it definitely coming same-day to ours? I couldn't find out when I looked.

its got 28th of September listed as the release date, although sometimes Netflix is real derpy with its dates for lesser known shows but I'm hoping this is big ticket enough that they're not going to screw us over. Usually stuff releases in the mid afternoon which is usually a few hours after prime time the night before in the US so I'm anticipating a window of at least 3 hours from US air time to it showing up on Netflix minimum

FELD1 posted:

It premiers 8 PM EST September 27th

bless you, thats 10 am East Coast oz time tomorrow in case any other convicts are too lazy to do the math

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If it's the same as season 2 I would expect episodes to be on there by 5pm.

• Locked thread