Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
holy poo poo, biting guy is my new favorite character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

I expect there to be a "Grinch-like" moment when Michael finally understands that they won't torture each other because they value each-other as people and learn from their conflict, rather than suffering, and his heart will grow three sizes.

The problem is, this will end pretty badly for Michael from what we've been shown. Like, them being rehabilitated creates an entire new moral quandary, given that their rehabilitation will result in Michael being burned on the surface of a million suns for eternity.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PantsBandit posted:

I'm about 7 episodes into this. I like the aesthetic and it's a fun and creative concept, but I just don't think it's very funny. It's like they're always verging on having a truly funny gag but don't quite manage to get there.

Honestly I busted the gently caress out laughing just about every time Chidi is just utterly baffled by what he's witnessing. Which happens a surprising amount.

The bit in s2e1 with his reaction to Eleanor thinking his name is a type of soup was loving hilarious.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like this would basically be a horror series if Michael wasn't kinda incompetent.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress, this episode. Holy gently caress, this episode.

e: I wanna see more of magma golem Todd.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

socialsecurity posted:

If there was the medium place wouldn't be nearly as boring/awful.

It doesn't have to be our Janet. Bad Place Janet exists and is basically just an rear end in a top hat version of Janet; Medium Janet could just be a Janet that never quite gets what you ask for right.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, Tahani's realization that she was actually a pretty bad person was kind of great. Especially the way it takes a while to sink in and just completely bounces off her at first.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know what I just realized?

Even though Jason is in the Bad Place, he's literally too dumb for the torture to work. He's loving living it up. Even in the first iteration where he had to seriously pretend to be Jianyu for a while, he still got to have quite literally the best butthole he could imagine (and given that we know Janet can summon cocaine, probably more drugs and booze than he'd ever seen in his life). The only one where it seemingly actually got to him was the one with the other silent monk, and he blew that one within a day because it got to him (any iteration where being Jianyu is actually a serious burden for him is an iteration that will immediately collapse). In this one, he just got to ride a loving unicorn, build an actual bear, and bang Tahani.

The idea was flawed from the outset, because this idea for a Bad Place cannot work for him, because he is legitimately too dumb to understand it, even when directly told. And Michael seems to realize it, because he seems to find Jason kind of adorable.

Also, the dance crew running gag is :perfect:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 13, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:smugbert:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Jason and Tahani are an adorable couple.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
OH MY GOD ANGRY CHIDI YES

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

blue squares posted:

Tahani treating Jason like poo poo is decidedly unadorable

The fact that she genuinely wants to not treat him badly and be a better person for him, by all appearances, balances it out imo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh... apparently this show's ratings are Not Great. It is getting absolutely hosed by Thursday Night Football.

Should I be worried about possibly not getting a third season of this?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hahaha gently caress I want to clown on you for connecting this amazing show to Diablo 2 and Afterlife but... that's a weirdly good take

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

tsob posted:

That makes me wonder: what would the real Good Place do if someone had been a perfect saint all their life and then when they got to what is essentially heaven realized they didn't have to maintain conduct to a set of societal rules anymore, could get anything they want instantly and with no work and could basically fulfill all their repressed desired and darkest fantasies guilt free for eternity? If someone got in to the Good Place and started breaking bad because there was no longer any real need to be good would they eventually be kicked out? If a real Jianyu ended up there, then after a short while started doing cocaine in public while cursing out his peers, insulting the other residents publicly, loudly and constantly and generally made an arse of himself would he eventually be kicked out; or would the Good Place engineers just shrug their shoulders and tell the other residents it was their bad luck and they had to deal with it now?

I think this is going to come up at some point, because s1 was fairly inconsistent about the issue of whether someone's points can change after they're processed (though it had reason to be inconsistent, mind) and I feel like we're gonna see a real answer at some point.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Klungar posted:

I'd say that kind of scenario is kind of covered by Tahani, who did many good things in her life, but for the wrong reasons. Someone who was a terrible human being underneath but did good things only because society told them to or for fear of going to the Bad Place in the afterlife wouldn't be the kind of person to go to the Good Place in the first place.

I mean, I don't think that's what we're positing, so much as someone who is genuinely good in life, but decides to cut loose once they're in the consequence-free afterlife.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

About the what-would-good-people-do thing, I figure that since motive is factored in to good/bad punishments, the actually-good people aren't tempted to be Bad because "good things to avoid being considered bad" is considered a bad thing. Let the Good People in the Good Place do whatever, and they'll still be Good because they don't have the motivation to be Bad.

Unrelated, how long after airing do new episodes go on the site / app? I have only the Fox stuff to go on (new Orville episodes come out not long after airdate), in this respect.

I, at least, am not solely defining "consequences" as "eternal damnation" or "people thinking you're bad." Murder is bad, for example, because it kills a person. If someone doesn't murder because they find the thought of permanently ending someone's life abhorrent, that's not really a bad reason; transplant that person to the Good Place, where everyone's already dead and "murder" at worst just means the person gets put back together and rebooted, and if they think about it they might no longer find it as abhorrent and might go shoot someone in the face for shits and giggles because it will carry no actual consequence.

e: like, I would think being in the afterlife genuinely changes the ethical calculus on a lot of stuff we'd ordinarily consider bad. Theft, for another example, is actively pointless due to Janet, but also lacks any kind of meaningful consequence due to Janet; whatever property gets stolen can simply be instantly replaced via Janet pulling it from Michael-knows-where. It goes from "extremely bad thing to do to another person" to "kind of dickish I guess."

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 27, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, watching the new episode and writing my thoughts live:

- Holy gently caress Bad Janet pretending to be good and melting from it :lol:

- Janet's weird-rear end physiology owns.

- Tahani and Jason are so loving adorable.

- Holy gently caress Jason is amazing in this episode. I wasn't quite on board with them swerving him from "both Cheech and Chong combined into one person" to "a small child in the body of a 20-something" at first, but this is loving hilarious.

- Oh my god the noise Janet makes when she's barfing coins

- I think someone called that Janet was gonna flip poo poo over Jason and Tahani.

- "Ohhhh.... nuts." D'arcy Carden is giving the performance of her goddamn life in this show and I really hope she blows up from it.

- Custard's Last Flan is an amazing pun.

- "Janet's made a lot of talk-talk into my ear-holes..." I hate this guy already.

- That's a hell of a spot to end the episode on.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seriously, is Jason Mantzoukas always this grating? He's nearly approaching Lemongrab levels of grating as this character.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
He's easily the worst Jason on the show

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm honestly starting to be pretty sure that none of the characters are actually dead and that aliens are involved. The morals of the X Places are too... weird and arbitrary for it to really work as an actual afterlife; for example, all French people going to hell, period, and what sports team you root for having an effect on your score.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It seems unfair in really, really bizarre ways, though, is all. And it also seems remarkably fallible when it comes to discerning someone's character, rather than just a sum total of their actions.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

Is a person's character separate from their actions?

It's a factor in their actions, but not the entirety of the equation, if that makes sense.

Like, take Jason for instance. Jason is, by all appearances, a good person at heart; however, he's also mentally disabled and was surrounded by horrible influences in life, which led to him doing the things he did. Most religions give the mentally disabled a free pass to the good afterlife; seemingly not this one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

yeah, but again, I don't think this implies "aliens".

It implies that the system is more fallible than it seems. I'm just spitballing "aliens" because it would neatly cover this problem (they're fallible because they're not actually gods and devils) while still accounting for all the bonkers poo poo we've seen like Michael being able to erase memories and "reboot" people, Shaun's cocoon from s1, and, uh, Janet in general.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, it's not like we haven't had the rug pulled out from under us before. A lot of stuff seemed throwaway in s1 but was actually foreshadowing for the twist.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

double nine posted:

we had explicit author comments that there's no big twist planned for season 2.

Of course, they would say that :tinfoil:

That just means they're not paying anything off this season; they could be planning a twist for next season that they're just planting seeds for now.

This show makes me kind of paranoid. :tinfoil:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
gently caress THIS GODDAMN CLIFFHANGER :argh:

Holy poo poo I need to see the next episode right now

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

That was a great finale, but possibly the tamest cliffhanger possible. Not that that's a bad thing, but just... the least unexpected thing possible.

Nah. I think pretty much everyone figured this whole "Michael and humans trying to keep the other demons happy while becoming better people" thing was going to run out the season, at least, if not become the ongoing premise of the show.

Now, however, Shaun knows, and it's out the window. Like, unless it turns out that what we knew about this possibility was basically entirely wrong, I'm really not sure where the show can go from here, because our heroes are totally hosed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's why the show just got canceled. Schur says they "wrote themselves into a corner" and will "just run Parks and Rec reruns for a while."

I actually am pretty worried that the show's ending soon. It's getting slaughtered in the ratings and can't be terribly cheap to make.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They've already made two Stone Cold jokes, go all in and make The Rock God.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fruit on the bottom posted:

So far, it definitely seems to rule out anything that involves reincarnation. Of course I would expect that to change if the writers think of way to include that in a funny way.

At this point, I'm basically calling that the series (whenever it does end) will end with the main four being reincarnated on Earth and given a second chance with all the improvements they've made on themselves. This will almost certainly be remarked on as completely unprecedented, with the slight possibility that Doug Forcett did it before them and that's how he got it all right.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Morgan Freeman.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know who I just realized it might be? Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Hear me out here. They've referenced Stone Cold twice this season, and typically jokes like that come in threes, with the first two acting as setup and the third as the absurd punchline. He's also not particularly busy, has acted in non-wrestling stuff before, and is someone that nobody would expect. I honestly think there's solid odds the judge is Stone Cold.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sbaldrick posted:

I will be legitimately sad when the Judge isn’t Steve Austen.

If it's not, that just means they're gonna pay off Eleanor's crush on Stone Cold some other way, so I won't be too mad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

There Bias Two posted:

I see things the other way around. Chidi studies ethics because it is a coping mechanism. He's not indecisive because he tries to consider things through too many philosophical lenses, it's because he's been suffering from analysis paralysis so severely his entire life that he is drawn to ethics as an attempt to find a solution to his endless questioning. He tries to rationalize his way through all problems, but what he probably needed was better therapeutic intervention.

it's also worth noting that, even if ethics doesn't help him cope or really necessarily inherently have anything to do with his problem, the simple fact that it's his field and he expends a lot of mental energy on it means his disorder's likely going to express itself in a way related to it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

pwn posted:

Yes, the mystery flavor was white chocolate - in the form of not white chocolate.

Mole is chocolate, it's just not disgusting on savory foods like chocolate-chocolate.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...wait, are some of the writers for the show goons? Because I just realized the only other time I've heard of anyone eating fried savory food with chocolate sauce, other than the mystery flavor in Eleanor's shrimp machine, was that loving Golden Corral story someone posted a long time ago where people were dipping fried chicken in the chocolate fountain.

And I mean, that's the kind of thing that sticks in your mind. :gonk:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, I love that I totally loving called what the end-of-season twist was gonna be (though I thought it was gonna be a series finale).

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

At this point, I'm basically calling that the series (whenever it does end) will end with the main four being reincarnated on Earth and given a second chance with all the improvements they've made on themselves. This will almost certainly be remarked on as completely unprecedented, with the slight possibility that Doug Forcett did it before them and that's how he got it all right.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly I think the Doctor would either get a Medium Place or just make the system segfault

human morality gets... wonky when you apply it to immortal non-humans, as we've seen with Michael

e: like, I would think the sheer number of points and negative points he's gotten and the non-linearity of them would SERIOUSLY gently caress the system up if it's in any way automated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fruit on the bottom posted:

The Doctor will go to the same place that all the characters from MLP, Stephen Universe, and Rick and Morty go to.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Dr. Who chat is somehow even worse than accent chat. Time to reboot this thread.

man, how much of a loving sadsack do you have to be to let your fear of ~NEEEEERDS~ get in the way of entertaining a legitimately interesting question that's actually tangentially relevant to the show? i don't even like DW and i think this is a pretty neat line of thought

like, the core question here is, how the gently caress would the X Place system react to a being that's lived an extremely goddamn long time across what humans would perceive as multiple different "selves," all with their own unique personality and motivations and thoughts, and perceived most of that time non-linearly on top of that? can that sort of thing even be judged the same way a human would be? do you judge each iteration individually and try to average them out?

essentially, if a Janet somehow got a soul on Earth, what in the name of hell would happen to it when it dies, given that we've actively seen that Janets make judging mechanisms poo poo themselves? like, if you absolutely need this to not be DW-related at all, let's just reframe the question to that

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 12, 2018

• Locked thread