Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Vote Piņera. #TiemposMejores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I live in a samey house in a samey townhouse neighborhood, so I secure my poo poo by having a slightly trashier frontyard than my neighbors. I haven't locked my door in 15 years.

Caveat - the mean income here is like 200 grand per household so it's not the exactly the ghetto. Plus I have a medium dog and a tiny Super-barky dog. Other than that I don't know what I could do that wouldn't cost more that it was worth to save my crap. I'm not super-friends with my neighbors but they would still call the cops if weird people were dragging 56" tv's out of my front door at night if my car wasn't there. Especially if I said I was gonna be out of town.

I think the best thing to absolutely save something super important that wasn't huge would be to just dig a drat hole in the ground or stick it under a carpet or in a hole in the wall.

I've had my car broken into in D.C a couple times, so you know what I did - I stopped locking it and I stopped keeping anything worth any money in my car. Go ahead, take my console change.. just don't break the goddamn windows because that is expensive. I had a convertible with a soft-top for a few years. NEVER LOCK THOSE. It costs so much more to fix a ripped top. Just leave it unlocked and occasionally say goodbye to your laundry quarters and flashlight, a cd or two, and your extra cigarettes.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

DoggPickle posted:

I live in a samey house in a samey townhouse neighborhood, so I secure my poo poo by having a slightly trashier frontyard than my neighbors. I haven't locked my door in 15 years.

Caveat - the mean income here is like 200 grand per household so it's not the exactly the ghetto. Plus I have a medium dog and a tiny Super-barky dog. Other than that I don't know what I could do that wouldn't cost more that it was worth to save my crap. I'm not super-friends with my neighbors but they would still call the cops if weird people were dragging 56" tv's out of my front door at night if my car wasn't there. Especially if I said I was gonna be out of town.
I don't think my parents have ever locked their front door. It currently misaligned and won't latch half the time. But they're just outside the city in Texas, Dad has a decent gun collection and sleeps with one eye open from his service as a Green Beret in Vietnam, and they're good friends with the across-the-street neighbors, so they watch the house when my parents are away. And same dog situation.

I live in a lovely trailer park on the poor side of the city, ain't nobody going to bother robbing me.

quote:

I think the best thing to absolutely save something super important that wasn't huge would be to just dig a drat hole in the ground or stick it under a carpet or in a hole in the wall.
Put in a power outlet not actually wired up, use it as the door to the space inside an uninsulated interior wall. Or get one of those things that converts a standard outlet to four and attach it over a slightly bigger hole.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
1. Those window bars are going to be your best bet, as lovely as they look. Else, move. You're just an inviting target.

2. Have insurance...I'm not sure what a contents policy is like in Chile, but if that type of policy does exist in substantially the same fashion as it does in the US it will most likely be very inexpensive. This is most practical for things like jewelry that you aren't going to want to take in and out of the safe all the time. It's a slight hassle to catalog all of these items individually for the insurance company, but it's worth it for the peace of mind.

3. Nobody's going to gently caress with that safe unless they think you have millions of dollars in there. If you do have millions of dollars, don't keep it in your house ffs.

I've been robbed a few times. My favorite incident was the time I had a pitcher full of @$200 in quarters stolen. I was bartending at the time and this was my tip money stash. The police caught the thief and I got the pitcher back but not the quarters...because the police said that I couldn't prove all those quarters were mine. I've had a rather dim view of the police since then.

The other time I was robbed I was actually at home. The robbers came in through my patio screen door and turned the lights on in my living room while I was upstairs in bed. I literally chased them (there were two of them) out of my house in my underwear. They did take the time to steal my pack of Marlboro Lights. I didn't get those back when the thieves were apprehended.

The first time the robber actually broke the front door lock - that was in 1995 or something. The second time was in 2004 and my patio door was unlocked, but I was home...I can't say I'd do anything differently even after that, really. Well...I might not bother chasing down two thugs in my underwear. I don't smoke anymore either.

Even though those two incidents were a personal violation, I still never thought about doing anything more than not making myself a target...you know, just lock the doors and windows and that kind of thing. You can't live in fear. I did buy a gun at some point, but I certainly didn't buy it for home defense. I mean, I could probably defend Mother Russia with it and as far as I know the last time it was fired was Berlin 1945. But I can only laugh when I think about using that bigass piece of nonsense to scare off a home invader. I mean, he'd probably poo poo himself if he saw it pointing at him, especially with that 2 foot long bayonet. But I don't think I could do it with a straight face. I don't have any shells anyway.

Oh, motion detector lights are a pretty good deterrent as well.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 5, 2018

• Locked thread