Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
We demand to speak to a manager! Meet them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADERS.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Well clearly no-one who met with them before was sufficiently firm.
Civis Terra sum, sir and we will not be intimidated by you Johnny Martians! We demand to see your leaders!

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I can't not hear these aliens speaking in Dalek voices.

Let's meet their leaders.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 38 posted:

'Follow me,' Kim Lee says. 'We will find the U-TY. But remember, if we say the wrong thing, they will store us forever, like eggs in a carton.'

Your new friend leads you through a series of long, twisting corridors. Sometimes you pass through walls that dissolve at her touch and then form again behind you. Suddenly, the U-TY masters are before you - three spheres no larger than basketballs! They hover in the air, glowing like pink and violet clouds above the setting sun.

What will they do? What will they ask? At first, nothing happens. You want to speak, but you dare not. Are you being hypnotized by the glowing pulsing lights? For a moment you wonder whether you are still alive, or whether you have entered an after-life of another universe...

Go on to the next page.

Page 39 posted:

The voices, rich as a chord played on an organ, sound in your brain.

WE HAVE BEEN WATCHING YOU. WE CAN PREDICT EVERYTHING YOU WILL EVER DO, EVER SAY, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

On hearing these words you are filled with anger and fear. You try to think of something that would truly surprise them.

If you cry, 'PUT ME BACK ON EARTH!' turn to page 75.
If you throw back your head and laugh, turn to page 76.
If you say two lines from a nursery rhyme, thinking that they could never predict what you would say that, turn to page 79.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 14, 2017

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I did the clever thing and consulted a random number generator. It told me to say a nursery rhyme.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Laugh in the face of fate.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Laugh, then reveal yourself as the Joker and start really ruining the aliens' day.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Put me back!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If you throw back your head and laugh, turn to page 76. I've faced more important aliens in a dozen games! I've survived the troll from Zork!. I've killed 100's of deamons from Doom. 3 glowing balls do not scare me!

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Laugh

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Laugh

Odysseus S. Grant fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 27, 2017

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Laugh

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 76 posted:

As your laughter echoes through the chamber, the U-TY seem to expand and vibrate. A chorus of voices fills the room.

WE, THE U-TY, WHO ARE ALL-POWERFUL AND ALL-KNOWING, HAVE ORBITED YOUR EARTH LIKE A SILENT EYE. WE HAVE SEEN ALL, AND KNOW ALL. ONE THING ONLY WE DO NOT KNOW. WHAT MAKES EARTH PEOPLE LAUGH?

Hearing this, you cannot help but laugh again. A moment ago you were frightened by the awesome presence of the U-TY. Yet now these all-powerful creatures are begging you for the answer to a simple question.

Kim Lee steps forward. 'Now, I remember the saying of the Chinese philosopher, Sung Chi - "If we could not laugh, we could not bear to cry; if we could not cry, we could not bear to live."'

'Do you hear the truth, U-TY?' you say loudly, and you repeat Kim Lee's words.

Nothing happens. All is silent. You start to speak again, but Kim Lee touches your arm. 'Wait,' she whispers.

Go on to page 78.

Page 78 posted:

Page 79 posted:

THE U-TY NEED NOT LAUGH.
THE U-TY NEED NOT CRY.

'Then you are not alive!' you shout the words without thinking.

'NOT ALIVE!' Kim Lee adds her voice to yours.

The U-TY quiver like huge, phosphorescent jellyfish, and their glowing lights brighten, then fade. The rounded walls begin to glow more and more brightly while the air is filled with music of wild winds blowing through organ pipes - rising and falling - then fading as the lights of the U-TY flicker out.

Kim Lee and you look at each other in the dim light. 'With all their vast knowledge, they were only dead souls,' says Kim Lee. 'When they realized that they were not really living, they lost their energy. Since that was all they were made of, they ceased to exist!'

'What will happen to us now?' you ask.

'We must learn to control this UFO. I know how to operate the invisibility screens. Shall I make the ships visible to Earth? That may be our only hope of being rescued.'

If you say yes, turn to page 80.
If you say no, turn to page 83.

Character Sheet posted:

Kills: 3 levitating luminous orb-being-things

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 7, 2017

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
No. Being a mysterious space thing is a great way to get space nuked during the Cold War.

Also the garbage space shuttle could only make it to low earth orbit and couldn't rescue us anyway :colbert:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
No. I agree with DQ.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

:lol: at aliens getting killed via existentialism.

Nah, we're good.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

anakha posted:

:lol: at aliens getting killed via existentialism.

That scene is one of three things I remember about this book. I also remember taking a lot longer to get to that point than the thread did, but I guess that's just me conflating multiple playthroughs: with 200-ish pages to work with and most of them branching into two or even three choices, any individual path can't really last all that long.

I don't actually remember the choice that follows it at all, so I can vote on it with a clear conscience. I'll go against the building consensus and say to turn off the invisibility.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Lower the cloaking device and declare to the world that we are now their god-emperor with the full firepower of this starship orbing the planet. I think that was how the Star Trek Mirror universe started.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

No. We should learn more before decloaking.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Jeepers, the aliens from Signs were tougher than this.

Keep us cloaked. If Kim Lee already knows how to work the invisibility screens (somehow :thunk: ), then figuring out the controls can't be too hard.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 83 posted:

'No, it's too risky. We'd better stay invisible, at least until we can learn how to fly this ship,' you say.

'Yes,' Kim Lee replies. 'I understand the main controls, but I'm not sure I can safely steer our course.'

The two of you study the dozens of strange instruments. 'This ship is automated,' Kim Lee explains. 'You need only feed the computer a general idea of what you want. For instance, the panel is gravity sensitive. It will cause us to approach the nearest object that has a strong gravitational pull.'

'That would be Earth. That's the way we can land!' For the first time you have some hope of returning home safely.

Kim Lee moves her hand along the oblong panel of floating light. A moment later you feel the ship slowly accelerating, and you hear the hum of unseen power. The UFO is descending. The acceleration increases. Your body is pressed against the wall. The force increases still more. It's more than you can bear. You're losing consciousness!

Turn to page 94.

Page 94 posted:

Slowly, you awaken. The terrible pressure of the acceleration is gone. The chamber is brightly lit. The air smells fresh and sweet, like a newly mown meadow in spring. Real sunlight and cool air stream through an opening at the end of the chamber. Kim Lee is already standing there, looking out. She turns and beckons. You spring to your feet, and stumble from the force of gravity.

From the opening, you look down at a cornfield about thirty feet beneath you. This incredible machine from a distant planet has obeyed your command. It has taken you through a hundred thousand miles of space. Now it hovers silently only thirty feet in the air. Its great computers seem to know everything - except that, maybe, thirty feet is too far for you to jump.

'Look!' Kim Lee is pointing to the far edge of the field. You had already noticed a herd of cows grazing in the adjoining pasture, but now a man and a boy are running toward you. They stop about fifty feet away, afraid to come closer. Then a small pickup truck lurches over the rise. A man and a woman get out and stare at the sight before them.

Go on to page 96.

Page 95 posted:

Page 96 posted:

'What should we do now?' asks Kim Lee.

But you are lost in thought. You're only dimly aware of her question, and of the men, women, and children, and barking dogs now assembling at the edge of the field. You barely hear the police siren in the distance.

You are thinking how strange it is that the all-powerful U-TY masters have evaporated like a mist in the morning sun. And that, when a ship from outer space finally lands, you are on it.

Turn to page 116.

Page 116 posted:

For the next hour, you and Kim Lee sit at the doorway of your spacecraft, looking out over the field, watching the crowds gathering, the police roping off a football-field-sized area around you, a police helicopter landing, then army helicopters, TV crews and trucks, fire engines, then army trucks. Finally, even a tank!

'Are they going to shoot at us?' asks Kim Lee.

'They are afraid of aliens,' you answer, 'but I don't think they'll shoot us. I hope they'll bring a ladder and let us down. Everyone will watch it on TV. Scientists will question us and study this ship so that Earth people can build one like it.'

Kim Lee listens intently as you talk. Then she says, 'I'm eager to see Earth again and see my country, but I'll miss this ship, because for 475 years its been my home!'

'Will you miss the U-TY masters?' you ask.

Kim Lee shakes her head. 'The U-TY had no more intelligence - no more soul - than slimy, gray snails.'

'But they built this miraculous spaceship,' you say.

'It is miraculous,' she replies, 'like a beautiful sea shell left by a slimy, gray snail.'

The End.

Tally Sheet posted:

Endings
Amnesia...but at least we got the Title Drop?
Let's run this poo poo into the ground!

Choices
Agree to help the UT-Y
The heavy pebble misses
Lie down to sleep
Explore elsewhere
Try to get to the next chamber
Leave Kim Lee and explore elsewhere
PUT ME BACK ON EARTH
Nursery Rhymes
Say yes

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So this must be the best ending right? Kill the alien scum and capture their ship to advance humanity?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'm guessing the best ending is finding Ultima.

Further explore the alien ship.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Let's mix it up and go on a space adventure: Agree to help the U-TY.

Also, an odd place to ask this but I don't have PMs: the old Falcon LP lost all its images to the Great Fire of Waffleimages. I did consider trying to repair it so it could go up on the archive, but I don't have my scans of the books any more, and they seem to have vanished from the 'net. I don't suppose you still have them, Ratatozsk?
It seems a shame for that one to be forgotten. "Had we hosted the images somewhere else instead, we might have encountered something like this..."

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Put me back on Earth!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

Let's mix it up and go on a space adventure: Agree to help the U-TY.

Also, an odd place to ask this but I don't have PMs: the old Falcon LP lost all its images to the Great Fire of Waffleimages. I did consider trying to repair it so it could go up on the archive, but I don't have my scans of the books any more, and they seem to have vanished from the 'net. I don't suppose you still have them, Ratatozsk?
It seems a shame for that one to be forgotten. "Had we hosted the images somewhere else instead, we might have encountered something like this..."

I do have the books, PM me or email me at username at gmail and I can get them to you. Unfortunately, I don't have the other images from the LP saved anywhere, which may limit how well it translates to the archive. There were many different headshots used (granted, most were just Falcon in different stupid hats), but I'd like to think there is some humor in seeing CAIN or Eddie with a photoshopped beard/mustache appearing when Falcon encounters the Skynet dystopia reality.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Anyone remember if Waffleimages allowed you to edit images in the process of uploading them? In searching for the Falcon pics, I'm surprised how few images related to that LP I have saved on my computer. Similarly, for Zork and Freeway Warrior I only have the pdfs whereas in most other series I have every last little pic saved. It might just be that I changed my process of uploading because those were some of the earlier books I did, but it still seems weird that I don't have more leftover stuff from completing them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Miss the rimshot

Dong Quixote posted:

So this must be the best ending right? Kill the alien scum and capture their ship to advance humanity?

Vigilo Confido

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Ratatozsk posted:

I do have the books, PM me or email me at username at gmail and I can get them to you. Unfortunately, I don't have the other images from the LP saved anywhere, which may limit how well it translates to the archive. There were many different headshots used (granted, most were just Falcon in different stupid hats), but I'd like to think there is some humor in seeing CAIN or Eddie with a photoshopped beard/mustache appearing when Falcon encounters the Skynet dystopia reality.

Sent you an email from my username at hotmail.co.uk Edit: not .com, whoops

Thanks very much! Don't know how long it'll take me to reassemble it all, but I'm going through a verrry slow period at work lately. I re-read the entire Way of the Tiger LP.
Did you know they recently re-issued the books, and wrote an official book 7, Redeemer?

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 29, 2017

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

Sent you an email from my username at hotmail.com.

Thanks very much! Don't know how long it'll take me to reassemble it all, but I'm going through a verrry slow period at work lately. I re-read the entire Way of the Tiger LP.
Did you know they recently re-issued the books, and wrote an official book 7, Redeemer?

As well as a prequel. I just got both and plan to complete that LP...eventually. So much typing :negative:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Nice job on the Louis Wu approach.

Agree to Help, maybe we can get a bigger treasure?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Ratatozsk posted:

Anyone remember if Waffleimages allowed you to edit images in the process of uploading them?

I don't recall being able to edit, just upload.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 22 posted:

'I will help you find the way to Ultima,' you say.

YOU WANT TO HELP US. THAT IS GOOD. NOW YOU WILL GO TO THE CHAMBER OF EARTH PEOPLE.

You are pulled - as if by an invisibile magnet - through a long curving passageway that leads to an enormous room. At least a dozen people are there - seated in sleek chairs or on floor cushions. You see a sailor, a woman wearing a gown with stripes of different colors, a man dressed as a samurai warrior, and a beautiful olive-skinned woman whose dark hair flows over her shoulders and reaches her waist.

The samurai warrior walks over to you and bows. 'Welcome to the Chamber of Earth People. Like you, we are all captives of the U-TY masters.'

'How long have you been here?'

'Six hundred years - since the time of Yoshimitsu, Shogun of Japan. In that time I've learned a great deal about the universe and about Earth - including your language.'

'You don't grow old here?'

'No. The U-TY masters have kept us at the age we were when we were captured.'

Go on to the next page.

Page 23 posted:

You look around. Some of the people are reading; others are watchign a video machine. A girl about your age is playing the flute. It sounds beautiful, and you wonder if she has been practicing for hundreds of years.

Next you notice an old man with long white hair and twinkling blue eyes. His face has a serene expression, and you imagine that he must be very wise.

A girl with long black hair, and a blond boy sit in another corner. Their legs are crossed and their...

Go on to page 24.

Page 24 posted:

...arms are folded in front of them. They both seem to be in trances, but as you look at them, the girl smiles, as if she had been expecting you. 'I'm Kim Lee,' she says.

If you talk to the wise-looking old man, turn to page 37.
If you talk to Kim Lee, turn to page 117.

Page 37 posted:

'Pardon me, sir,' you say to the old man. 'Can you tell me about the U-TY masters - who they are, and what they will do with us?'

For a moment, the old man seems lost in thought. Then, looking you in the eye, he lays a wrinkled hand on your shoulder. 'You came to the right person. My name is Angus. I was the first human captured by the U-TY - aliens advanced so far beyond Earth people that they were made of energy instead of matter. That was almost 1200 years ago - the same year the Vikings invaded Scotland. I can tell you what you want to know. But knowledge does not always bring happiness. I think you should wait before asking me. We have lots of time.'

If you decide to wait, turn to page 61.
If you ask the old man to tell you everything now, turn to page 64.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 3, 2017

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I don't know what we're waiting for, but sure, let's wait.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

I keep expecting Dr Nera Vivaldi to show up. Let's wait and see if she does.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 60 posted:

Page 61 posted:

'You're right. We do have lots of time. I will wait.' You turn to look at the others in the room, and your eyes meet those of a boy about your age. He motions you over.

'See that wall,' he says. 'I have heard that there is a way to open it and that behind it lies the Chamber of the Argoni - captives from a planet of the star Denebola. If we could learn how to get to the Argoni, maybe they could help us escape!'

You tap against the wall. Nothing happens. You kick it as hard as you can. Suddenly it dissolves before you eyes. A long, curving passageway lies before you. The boy starts through it.

You follow cautiously. Looking back you see that the wall has formed again behind you. You continue on through the passageway. The light grows brighter. Now you can see clearly. The room is crowded with huge, hairy creatures that look like great purple-headed spiders.

'Help!' The boy screams and turns toward you. In a flash one of the monsters springs forward. To your horror, it swallows the boy in one gulp! You scream and turn to run, but you are its next victim.

The End.

Tally Sheet posted:

Endings
Amnesia...but at least we got the Title Drop?
Let's run this poo poo into the ground!
A many-eyed, many legged spidery purple people eater

Choices
The heavy pebble misses
Lie down to sleep
Explore elsewhere
Try to get to the next chamber
Leave Kim Lee and explore elsewhere
PUT ME BACK ON EARTH
Nursery Rhymes
Say yes
Ask the old man to tell us everything now

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Ah, yes, the capricious arbitrariness of the CYOA writer. PUT ME BACK ON EARTH

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Call out the old man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
O wise and venerable elder, tell me everything right now or I will practice my youthful violence upon you.

• Locked thread