Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

the heavy pebble misses

Let's see some butterfly effect. Or insane cyoa writer effect at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

FoolyCharged posted:

the heavy pebble misses

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

FoolyCharged posted:

the heavy pebble misses

Page 41 posted:

You miss the wastebasket, and the object bangs against the wall. As you reach to pick it up, it leaps out of your hand and buzzes around your head like an angry bee. Then, while you stand dumbfounded, the object spins through your bedroom window, leaving only a tiny hole in the glass.

You touch the hole. It feels as smooth as the rim of a drinking glass. Suddenly you remember the sparks flying about your head. You were on a UFO!

You rush toward the door to tell whomever is home, then stop short and think for a minute: your whole adventure might as well have been a dream, for who will believe it?

The End

Tally Sheet posted:

Endings
Amnesia...but at least we got the Title Drop?
Let's run this poo poo into the ground!
A many-eyed, many legged spidery purple people eater
I SWEAR, ALIENS TOOK ME ON THEIR SHIP!

Choices
Lie down to sleep
Explore elsewhere
Try to get to the next chamber
Leave Kim Lee and explore elsewhere
PUT ME BACK ON EARTH
Nursery Rhymes
Say yes
Ask the old man to tell us everything now

The_White_Crane posted:

O wise and venerable elder, tell me everything right now or I will practice my youthful violence upon you.

Page 64 posted:

'I don't want to wait,' you reply. 'I want to know the truth now.'

'Very well.' Angus beckons you closer. 'The U-TY have taught us how to speak in thought waves, but we will never understnad more than a tenth of what they know. They have studied the Earth for more than one thousand years, hoping to find the path to Ultima, the planet of paradise. But they have given up, and are preparing to leave for their home planet, hundreds of light-years away.'

'Is there really a planet of paradise?' you ask.

'Yes, there truly is,' Angus replies. 'But the U-TY have not found it yet, for there is no way to reach Ultima by making a choice or following directions.'

'Is there a chance I can return to my own home?'

'I wish I knew. I only know that pleading with the U-TY is useless. Perhaps, just perhaps, if you are willing to pretend that you are crazy, they might decide you're unsuitable for the zoo. They might let you go, but I warn you, the U-TY are unpredictable.'

Should you pretend to be crazy? The plan might work. On the other hand, the aliens communicate with thought waves. They are highly advanced. Suppose they can tell that you're just pretending. What would they do then?

If you decide to pretend to be crazy, turn to page 63.
If you know you can't, turn to page 107.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 28, 2017

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
"pretend" to be crazy

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
So, you have to map the book, playing over and over until you find the page that is never referenced by any of the choices?

Don't bother faking, pretty sure we're already nuts.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
CRAZY LIKE A FOX!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Acting crazy worked for Corporal Klinger... wait, no it didn’t. Ah well, let’s do it anyway for laughs.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 62 posted:

Page 63 posted:

It's not easy to pretend to be crazy. You charge around the room screaming, 'I am Napoleon! I am Napoleon!'

Nothing happens, but you must keep it up! 'I am Napoleon! I am Napoleon!' Your voice gets hoarser, and your head aches. You begin to feel as if you really are going crazy. Your mind goes blank.

You are lying in a small room. Everything that every happened to you seems to be far in the past. You must be somewhere in space, for you have no weight at all. A soft voice is speaking in your brain.

YOU WERE ACTING STRANGELY. WE GAVE YOU SOMETHING TO MAKE YOU FEEL CALM AND AT PEACE. YOU ARE UNUSUAL. WE SHALL STUDY YOU CLOSELY...IN THE LABORATORIES OF THE U-TY.

The End

Tally Sheet posted:

Endings
Taken to the lab, probe-ably not a good thing

Choices
Lie down to sleep
Explore elsewhere
Try to get to the next chamber
PUT ME BACK ON EARTH
Nursery Rhymes
Say yes
I'm not crazy!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That was as funny as I expected. Let’s Attempt access to the next room.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

PUT ME BACK ON EARTH.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

achtungnight posted:

That was as funny as I expected. Let’s Attempt access to the next room.

Page 30 posted:

You stand for a long time staring at the forward wall, thinking about it as hard as you can. You begin to get dizzy, yet you keep concentrating on the wall. Then, without seeming to have been asleep, you feel as if you are awakening. Somehow you find yourself in another chamber, one with a long, curved window. Looking out into space, you see an enormous blue-white disc - Earth! Then, turning, you see an alien - a furry creature hardly more than half your size. It is floating in the air - somehow free of the artificial gravity which keeps your feet on the floor.

'Do not be afraid,' says the creature. 'My name is Bru - a captive from Plane Six of the star Abbar.'

'Are there others here from your planet?' you ask.

'I am the only one, and soon there will be none, because I am about to escape to the nearest planet - Earth!'

'Could I come with you?'

'You may if you wish. But, if we fail, the U-TY will place us in Somo - to sleep for a billion years.'

Page 31 posted:

If you want to risk it, turn to page 48.
If you say, 'I don't want to risk being sent to Somo,' turn to page 49.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 15, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Risk it. A friendly alien is good.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Risk it. I can't wait for our cute muppet friend to reveal he carries some space plague super fatal only to humans.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Sure, buddy! We'll help you carry you filthy alien diseases to earth, killing millions. What could go wrong?

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Risk it. We need to clown the U-TY as much as possible.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Eh, I could use a good sleep anyway. Risk it.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Risk it

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 48 posted:

"I'll risk it!' you say.

'Then we have no time to lose,' Bru says. 'Follow me.'

Bru leads you through a series of narrow, winding passageways. He stops at a wall that looks no different from any of the others.

'Beyond this wall is the space shuttle,' says Bru. Usually, only the U-TY masters can dissolve it, but I think I can do it now.'

'Why now?'

'The U-TY have lowered the force field, because their robots are preparing for a final trip to Earth before their ship leaves this solar system forever.'

Bru floats before the wall; slowly, it begins to dissolve. A moment later the two of you pass through into a brightly lit chamber. Before you is the gleaming white shuttlecraft.

'They use this vehicle to collect their samples from Earth,' Bru says.

As he speaks, the wall forms again, sealing the passageway behind you. Bru opens the latch and floats inside the craft. You are right behind him. In a moment you hear a rumbling and then a rushing of air. Blast off! Your head aches. Sweat pours off your body. The force increases unbearably. A moment later you are unconscious.

Turn to page 113.

Page 113 posted:

You awaken, dazed and shaken.

'We're on Earth!' Bru cries.

Looking through the open port, you can see that the craft has landed on a sand dune a few hundred feet from a shoreline. The air is warm. The salt air smells good.

Bru stretches his limbs and tests his footing on the sandy ground.

'Can you move all right in Earth gravity?' you ask.

By way of an answer, Bru curls up into a ball and rolls up to the top of the dune. You follow slowly - still shaky after your escape.

'There's an Earth person!' Bru points toward a pot-bellied man, standing by the water's edge, staring out to sea. His surf-casting rod is planted in the sand nearby.

'I'l ask him where we are,' you say.

If you take Bru along, turn to page 69.
If you tell Bru to wait, turn to page 67.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 11, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

come on bru, let's go talk to this dude

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
A man staring off at the sea by himself probably is too jaded to be shocked by anything. Bring Bru

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Come along, Bru

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Let’s bring Bru along. He looks hungry and I’m sure this man could give him something to eat.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

achtungnight posted:

Let’s bring Bru along. He looks hungry and I’m sure this man could be something to eat.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

:golfclap:

Bring Bru Along.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 68 posted:

Page 69 posted:

You slide down the dune. Bru rolls close behind.

'Hello, there!' you call.

The fisherman stares at you, then steps back and nearly falls as he loses balance in the soft sand.

'Could you tell us where we are?'

'What's that?' The fisherman points at Bru.

'My friend, Bru. His is from another planet.'

The fisherman steps closer. 'I must be dreaming. This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.'

'Where are we?' you ask again.

'Nags Head, North Carolina. Buck Coleman's my name.'

'Do you know how I can get a ride to the White House in Washington, D.C.?' Bru asks. 'It could be important for the future of America,' he says.

'It's quite a trip, but this sort of thing doesn't happen every day,' says Coleman. 'Just give me a minute to make a phone call. There's a phone booth right across the road. Now don't go away.'

'I guess I'd better call home, too,' you tell Bru. 'We'll be right back.'

'All right,' says Bru. 'I'll hide in this clump of beach plum trees. I don't want to be spotted until I have a chance to meet with the president.

Go on to page 70.

Page 70 posted:

You try to reach your family, but no one is home. Maybe they think you landed safely in France.

You wait while Coleman talks on the phone. When he hangs up, he has a big grin on his face.

'I just made a deal with some friends of mine who own the local TV station,' he says. 'All we have to do is stall the alien for about fifteen minutes until they get here with their cameras, and they'll give us $20,000!' He slaps you on the back. 'Half of that is for you, kid - $10,000 all your own!'

'But Bru doesn't want to be seen until he can meet with the president.'

'So, it won't hurt him. He'll be a celebrity soon. He might as well learn how America works. Look, all you have to do is not say anything for fifteen minutes, and you've got $10,000!'

You want to respect Bru's wish to avoid publicity, but you didn't make any promises to him. It's hard to see how being on TV would hurt him, and you sure could use $10,000!

If you agree to Coleman's plan, turn to page 88.
If you insist on telling Bru that the TV crews are on the way, turn to page 100.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 10, 2017

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Cheese it, Bru, it's the fuzz! I mean, we don't know anything about alien biology. For all we know he might explode if those TV crews see him!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Agree to the plan. We got a chance to double-cross someone and we're going to take it!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Bru's before dues.

warn our new buddy

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Warn Bru just in case.

This sounds too good to be true and we need to teach Bru to avoid certain kinds of TV.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 8, 2017

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 100 posted:

You walk up to Coleman and look him in the eye. 'I can't go along with that. It's not honest, it's not nice, and it's stupid.'

Coleman flushes with anger. 'C'mon, you got to be out of your mind. You're not going to throw away ten grand!'

But you are already running up the sand dune, calling Bru. He springs from behind a clump of beach plum trees.

'Coleman has called a TV station,' you say. 'They're on their way here to film you!'

Bru floats toward you. Touching your hand, he says, 'Thank you, friend. I will never forget you.'

Then, rolling into a furry ball, he spins around so rapidly that soon all you see of him is a bundle of electric sparks that quickly fade, leaving nothing behind.

A week later you are walking near your home when you feel a strange, tingling sensation. You turn and see Bru hovering nearby. Nestling against you like a friendly cat, he says, 'Hello, I came to visit for a while.'

The End.

Tally Sheet posted:

Endings
Our own cuddly alien friend

Choices
Lie down to sleep
Explore elsewhere
PUT ME BACK ON EARTH
Nursery Rhymes
Say yes
I'm not crazy!
'I don't want to risk being sent to Somo'
Tell Bru to wait
Lie to Bru

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Lie to Bru.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 88 posted:

'Well, OK,' you tell Coleman. 'But how are you going to stall him?'

Coleman cocks his head to one side and winks at you. 'Just leave that to me.'

The two of you return to Bru, who springs out from behind the plum trees.

'Are we ready to go?' he asks.

'I'll need about ten minutes,' says Coleman. 'My car battery is dead, but I got a friend who owns a garage down the road, and he's on his way over with a new one.'

For a moment Bru says nothing. Then he curls up into a ball and springs five or six feet into the air. Sparks fly from his fur as he hovers only a few inches in front of Coleman's sunburned nose.

'Your thoughts are louder than your words,' says Bru. He drops for a second to the ground and then springs into the air next to you. Looking you in the eye, he says, 'I'm disappointed.'

'But I haven't said anything,' you say.

'Sometimes,' says Bru, 'it's a lie to say nothing.'

Without another word, he rolls himself up and begins to spin like a top. Suddenly the fast-moving, blurred shape hurtles over the sand dune, and Bru is gone.

You look at Coleman. He stands, head bowed, kicking up little clouds of sand. A moment later you hear the sound of screeching brakes. Glancing toward the road you see two men jumping out of a truck. One of them is carrying a TV camera. They run towards you. Coleman stands looking at them, arms outstretched.

Page 89 posted:

There's nothing to do now but find your way home. You've missed you chance to make $10,000 fast. Worse than that, you've lost a friend you can never replace. At least you've learned quite a bit - on UFO 54-40 and right here on hear.

The End

Technically, the image on this page is slightly smaller with no border

Tally Sheet posted:

Endings
Fake (out) news

Choices
Lie down to sleep
Explore elsewhere
PUT ME BACK ON EARTH
Nursery Rhymes
Say yes
I'm not crazy!
Tell Bru to wait

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Let's finish out this path, Tell Bru to wait.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
some of these cyoa books, the space ones in particular, were pretty trippy poo poo

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Wait here, Bru!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 67 posted:

Bru stays out of sight while you walk down to the shore.

When you tell the fisherman your story, he looks at you as if you were crazy. You're about to ask him for directions to the nearest town, when a shot rings out, and then another. Looking up, you see Bru floating over your head like a balloon. More shots! Now you see where they're coming from. Two men are driving along the beach in a jeep, and one of them is firing at Bru.

'Stop!' you yell. But Bru is already out of range and rapidly disappearing into the distance.

A heavy-set man jumps out of the jeep. 'Hey, did you just see somethin' like a big round ball flying out that way?' He points to the ocean.

'I couldn't believe it!' the driver yells.

You start to speak, but the fisherman steps between you and the jeep. 'I don't know what that critter was, but I sure wish you'd gotten it,' he says.

You're glad that Bru escaped, but what will become of him? Where will he go? What must he think about Earth people now? You hope he will learn that there are millions and millions of good people on Earth.

The End.

Tally Sheet posted:

Endings
Fake (out) news
Foiled by rednecks or something similarly lame

Choices
Lie down to sleep
Explore elsewhere
PUT ME BACK ON EARTH
Nursery Rhymes
Say yes
I'm not crazy!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

PUT ME BACK ON EARTH

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Put me back on earth please.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 75 posted:

'Put me back on Earth!'

The moment you speak you fall unconscious. Awakening, you find yourself in a seat that seems strangely familiar. A woman wearing a uniform is standing next to you, her hand on your shoulder. 'We're preparing to land. Buckle your seat belt.'

You realize that this woman is a stewardess. You are back on the Concorde! Everything is the way it was before...

As the stewardess moves down the aisle to check on the other passengers, you look dazedly at the white-haired man who was sitting beside you when you were captured. He turns toward you, a surprised look on his face. 'Oh, you're back. Where were you for such a long time?'

The End

Tally Sheet posted:

Endings
Fake (out) news
Foiled by rednecks or something similarly lame
The most boring abduction ever

Choices
Lie down to sleep
Explore elsewhere