Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Forbidden Chamber, you say? Challenge accepted :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 34 posted:

Qally points to a wall at the forward end of the chamber. 'Press against the wall, and you'll be able to walk right through it. Good luck!'

You press against the wall. It yields to the weight of your body as though made of cotton. You pass through, and it forms behind you, as solid and smooth as steel.

'Sit down, or you may fall over,' a voice says.

You look around, but to your amazement there is no one in the room except a small child, hardly more than a baby. You sit next to the child and gaze into his large brown eyes.

'You're just a baby,' you say, 'yet you can talk. You must be older than you look.'

'I was once a full-grown man,' the baby replies. 'This is the time-reversal chamber - the U-TY's greatest invention. Here, time runs backwards. In eighteen months I will no longer exist - because I will not yet have been born.'

'Does that mean that now I'll grow younger too?'

'Indeed, you are right now,' the baby replies. 'However old you are - that's how long it will be until you're born. I will be born much sooner then you. Then you will be all alone.'

Go on to the next page.

Page 35 posted:

'What will happen to you after you are born?'

'I will not exist.'

'How awful.'

'I suppose so,' the baby says, 'but it will be no worse for me than it was for you before you were born. There's always a chance that my life will start again sometime in the past. Maybe I will become my father, and then, when he is born, I will become his father!'

'Is there no way out of here?' you ask.

'None - except - you could try walking through that portal. But, if you try, you may be for a moment in two times at the same place, or, what is worse, two places at the same time!'

If you risk escape, turn to page 40.
If you decide to stay and hope for a better chance to escape, turn to page 51.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 28, 2017

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

GTFO.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Leave, we have only been there for trivial amount of time, so it should be ok.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
This CYOA is getting weird.... Leave

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

This CYOA is getting weird.... Leave

Which CYOA didn't get weird?!?! Serious question.

GTFO.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
This thing is getting kinda cosmic.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Definitely do the "Find Ultima the Planet of Peace" route.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 40 posted:

You fling yourself through the portal, hoping to get through fast enough to avoid being in the two places at once. But as your legs run forward, your head and shoulders are wrenched behind you. In a whirlpool of time, moving backward, and at the same time forward, you are swept into eternity.

The End.

Tally Sheet posted:

Endings
Amnesia...but at least we got the Title Drop?
Let's run this poo poo into the ground!
A many-eyed, many legged spidery purple people eater
I SWEAR, ALIENS TOOK ME ON THEIR SHIP!
Taken to the lab, probe-ably not a good thing
Our own cuddly alien friend
Fake (out) news
Foiled by rednecks or something similarly lame
The most boring abduction ever
Taking a decade or three to become incredibly learned. Netflix and
Double paradox!
Sent the aliens packing and hung out with some stone heads
A football field sized crater
(De)waisted

Choices
Lie down to sleep
Explore elsewhere
Leave Kim Lee and explore elsewhere
Nursery Rhymes
Say yes
I'm not crazy!
'I don't want to risk being sent to Somo'
Try to find a better way
Stay and hope for a better chance to escape

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Stay.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Get another bad ending over with. Stay in the de-aging chamber.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Stay.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 51 posted:

Life is pleasant in the reversal chamber. There is much to learn and do - games, video screens, computers...but each day you watch the baby grown smaller and smaller. At the age of four months it can no longer talk; its mouth and vocal chords are no longer sufficiently developed. For awhile, it gestures helplessly; then it can only thrash around like a new-born baby.

One day the U-TY robots come and place the baby in a glass-walled box. The box is like an incubator, then you realize that the baby has no longer been born. Now it must have the special protection it would have inside a mother's womb.

For nine months the baby grows smaller and smaller, until one day, the robots remove the empty incubator.

What could have happened to it? Is it growing again in another universe? If so, is it the same person or someone else?

Now you are totally alone, aware that each day you are growing smaller and younger. The day is coming when you, too, will not yet have been born. Then you will no longer exist. You can only hope that at some time in the past you will die once more, and so begin life again.

The End

Tally Sheet posted:

Endings
Fake (out) news
Double paradox!
(De)waisted
:tif:

Choices
Lie down to sleep
Explore elsewhere
Nursery Rhymes
Say yes
I'm not crazy!
Try to find a better way
Stay and hope for a better chance to escape

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
That sure was an ending.

Try leaving Kim Lee next, I guess?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
No, No crazy, no crazy, YOU'RE CRAZY

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

We're perfectly fine. Not crazy at all. Nope.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Going with the trend. I’m not crazy, I’m just a little unwell, I know right now you can’t tell...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm not crazy! I'm... uh.. I'm... oh gods I don't have a name!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 107 posted:

You decide that pretending to be crazy might only make things worse. You pace back and forth, trying to decide what to do. Suddenly, a wall dissolves. In its place is a large curved window. Through it you can see thousands of starts scattered across the jet-black sky. Rows of computers line the other side of the room. Some of them glow with pulsating blue and pink lights.

The ship seems to be turning, and in a minute or so you can see the blue-white sphere you recognize as your own planet, Earth. An alien creature is hunched over one of the computers. Suddenly it crumples to the floor and shrivels up like a dead spider.

Go on to page 108.

Page 108 posted:

Angus is standing beside you; he beckons you closer. His eyes glitter with excitement. 'There's an emergency. The computers have a paradox they cannot resolve. That creature did it. It must have been trying to take over the ship.' Angus points to the fallen alien. 'Some defense mechanism of the U-TY killed it.'

He turns away and studies symbols appearing on a display screen. 'Our new course will take us near the Earth. There's a shuttlecraft on board this ship. We might be able to take it before the computers resolve the paradox. If the U-TY detect us, they will send us to Somo - to sleep for a billion years.'

'Shall we try to escape?'

If you try to escape with Angus on the shuttlecraft, turn to page 105.
If you try to think of something else, turn to page 97.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 7, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I want Something else to get me through this life... I want something else....

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

We need to escape through something else. This is too good to be true, we need something...

Awful.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Escape on the shuttle.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The last two times we caused a paradox, the ship didn't last very long afterwards, so let's take the opportunity to use the shuttle while we can.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Shuttle on out.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Back in town for an update tomorrow night. Until then, keep fearing the serendipitous whims of the stars.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 105 posted:

'Let's try to escape,' you say.

It takes Angus only a few minutes to find the portal leading to the shuttlecraft. At his touch, the wall opens, revealing a sleek saucer-shaped vehicle.

'It really looks like a flying saucer!' you exclaim.

'That's not a coincidence,' say Angus. 'It's the most efficient shape for a spacecraft.'

In a moment the two of you are seated in the cockpit. 'We are lucky, indeed,' Angus says. 'This craft is controlled automatically. Watch.'

Instantly, the craft catapults into space, then veers towards Earth. Within a few hours, you are looking down at farms and woodland below as the craft rapidly descends, brakes, and seems to float for a few moments before gently setting down in a cornfield. Looking through the side ports, you can see two farmers standing by a pickup truck. They are pointing at you, obviously excited by your arrival.

Go on to page 106.

Page 106 posted:

The hatch opens and you leap to the ground.

'Come on,' you call to Angus. 'I'll give you a hand.'

But the kindly old man shakes his head. 'Thanks, but when I was captured 1200 years ago I had only a few years left to live. So I'll stay on this ship, where I won't grow any older. Besides, my family and friends died long ago.'

You're still holding your hand out to ward Angus when the port closes and the craft suddenly and completely disappears; leaving you starting in disbelief at the cornfield where you landed minutes before.

'Hey, what was that?' 'Where did you come from?' 'Where did that thing go?' the farmers yell as they run toward you.

The End

Tally Sheet posted:

Endings
Fake (out) news
Double paradox!
(De)waisted
:tif:
Left in a field by a lonely immortal

Choices
Lie down to sleep
Explore elsewhere
Nursery Rhymes
Say yes
Try to find a better way
Think of something else

Anybody else tired of these alternative choices? 'You can try this concrete thing...or just do something else nonspecific.'

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

I'm tired right now, so I'll vote Lie down to sleep.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sleepy

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Nursery rhymes!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 5 posted:

The moment you lie down, you fall asleep. Thoughts stream through your unconscious mind....

WHEN YOU ARE HAPPY
YOU WILL BE GOOD.
YOU WILL BE HAPPY
WHEN YOU ARE GOOD.

You sit up. Something is in your hair. There is a band around your head. It feels hard to touch, yet strangely comfortable. What is it? Does it have something to do with the strange thoughts running through your head?

As you start to pull of the band, you feel a strange pain in your head. When you take your hand away, you feel as happy and contented as you have ever been.

If you still try to take the band off your head, turn to page 11.
If you decide to leave it on for a while and see what happens, turn to page 14.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 3, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Leave it on for a while.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

We just got a tiara, turning us into a magical space princess. Why would we ever give that up? Keep it on.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Take it off. :heysexy:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 14 posted:

It must be a good thing, wearing the band. You soon feel better than ever before, as if you were sailing on a pink cloud...except you wonder, just a bit, whether you made the right decision, though you don't think much more about it, because the sun must have set on your pink cloud, for the edges are turning darker...As you slip into the night-dreaming that you are drifting through time-faster now, whirling faster through time, then slowing, drifting less fast, more slowly through time, now dreaming more slowly, more slowly still...until...time...stops.

The End.

Let's keep things rolling a little bit more by exploring the other option at that last juncture.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 11 posted:

You rip off the band, but your head is instantly wracked with a terrible, blinding pain. You throw the band across the chamber. The pain eases. You can see again.

If only you could find a way to escape! Wailing musical sounds fill your ears. The wall at the far end of the chamber dissolves into thin air. You see a long passageway ahead. You run down it. You see a whirling gray figure ahead of you-an alien! Could it be trying to escape too? It swoops into a narrow tunnel. You follow as fast as you can.

At the far end of the tunnel, you see a silver structure shaped like a giant clam! Could it be a spacecraft? The alien opens a hatch and climbs inside.

Go on to page 12.

Page 12 posted:

This may be your chance! You follow the creature through the hatch. Inside, you find the alien is just a few feet away from you. It looks like a big, half-deflated ball, but with rows of eyes and mouths that remind you of portholes on a ship. It must have at least seven or eight legs, ith branches, or roots, some of which seem to serve as arms, hands, flippers and antennae.

You watch in amazement as the alien touches various instruments with its many-tentacled 'arms.' Then it turns some of its eyes on you.

'You're an Earthling, aren't you?' The creature speaks from the mouth closest to you.

'Yes, I am,' you stammer. 'Who are you?'

'Call me Mopo. This is my last chance to escape, and there's only one place for me to go.'

Before he can continue, the hatch closes, and you feel a jolt so violent that you go out like a light.

Turn to page 111.

Page 13 posted:

Page 111 posted:

Slowly, you wake up. Your head is spinning. Your body aches. You are still in the spacecraft, but it's bobbing up and down. You look through the portholes. There is water in all directions. You must be on an Earth ocean!

The alien, Mopo, is still next to you. The hatch cover slips open. Water gushes in. Suddenly Mopo springs out into the ocean.

Through the hatch you can see a grimy white fishing trawler. It's only a few hundred yards away. But the spacecraft is sinking fast. There's no time to waste. You take a deep breath and dive through the hatch into the cold, rough sea. A wave smacks you in the face; then Mopo is lifting you on his back - safely above the waves! The trawler has turned toward you. Wet and shivering, you wave frantically. Two fishermen on the front deck are pointing. They wave back.

'I am afraid that Earth people may kill me,' Mopo says. 'I must hide in the oceans of Earth so as to not be seen by them.'

The trawler is slowing to come alongside. One man is getting ready to throw you a rope. 'Is that a dolphin?' he yells.

'I must dive now,' says Mopo.

'Don't! Come with me,' you say.

'Can I trust Earth people, or will they harm me?' he asks.

If you tell Mopo that he can trust Earth people, turn to page 20.
If you tell Mopo that you cannot promise that he will be treated, turn to page 21.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 4, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

trust the earthlings, they definitely haven't betrayed all of the aliens they meet in alternate realities!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Don't trust humans.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Trust humans first.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

8 legs good, 2 legs better!

Adbot