Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I had to download the book because of that list goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

11. Aroriellian law and government, including the entire Aroriellian Charter.

Oh, do tell. Please, I want to know how their legal system works.
Are verdicts decided by ritual Shartball games, perhaps?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How the gently caress do you people even find this stuff

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Does the list of foods say which ones are best eaten before a game of shartball?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

quote:

“Vutz this thing!” he swore, as his vehicle spun wildly in the wind.

When inventing languages, try to choose cuss words that don’t make it sound like your characters are slipping into vaudeville Yiddish accents.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

echopapa posted:

When inventing languages, try to choose cuss words that don’t make it sound like your characters are slipping into vaudeville Yiddish accents.

Hey, let's not make any assumptions here. We still don't know if Furlite food is kosher.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

echopapa posted:

The plural of chybut is chybutz and this was my exact thought.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How the gently caress do you people even find this stuff
I found the spinoff Curse of Koris in a used book store. I posted about it in the PYF terrible book thread, and that inspired chitoryu12 to do a Let's Read of The Furlites of Aroriel proper.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

chitoryu12 posted:

Semi-related, I'm looking in the back of the book. There is:

1. An appendix of the solar system of Aroriel (including diagrams and pictures of the planet).

2. A national, elevation, and climate map for Aroriel.

3. The layout of the Sunpyne.

4. A diagram of clocks explaining Furlitian time measurement.

5. A full Aroriellian calendar and description of every single unit of measurement.

6. Facts on Furlitian biology and evolution.

7. Foods.

8. Explanations of the physiological and psychological bonds formed between Furlites (the chybut is a third testicle that descends during sex to produce sperm).

9. Direct translations of every single Furlitian insult.

10. A full description of the space fleet, including ranking systems and acronyms.

11. Aroriellian law and government, including the entire Aroriellian Charter.

12. Additional notes on animals and biological statistics of Furlites.

13. Family trees for all clans seen in the book.

14. The footnotes section.

Continuing the tradition of Tolkien and Herbert, I see.

That or all of this is real and the aliens chose the wrong person to beam their messages to.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Considering that she misspelled "Monii" in her very second reference to the creatures, I'm not exactly confident that she's going to maintain perfect continuity and figure out all the proper math for the units she created.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This right here is why I hope I can stick it out for the rest of this Let's Read. Between all the made-up creatures, bizarre alternate units of measurement and ridiculous chracter names, I'm finding the my eyes just sort of glaze over the text excerpts.

This is not to say that I don't enjoy SF/F. I do, when it's well-written. This... this is not well-written. There's more to world-building than just giving idiotic names to mundane things. She's so in love with creating her own language that she's made everything needlessly complicated.

Don't say stuff like that, or Chi will start to wonder why he is risking his sanity for our entertainment if we aren't entertained. I want to go down this rabbit...erm...worm?hole as octo-far as I can octo-go.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

chitoryu12 posted:

Considering that she misspelled "Monii" in her very second reference to the creatures, I'm not exactly confident that she's going to maintain perfect continuity and figure out all the proper math for the units she created.

Maybe she was dipping into a regional spelling variation.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Look at all these Furlite prescriptivists ITT :rolleyes:

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Chitoryu, you've got me hooked on your Let's Reads. Also, every time I read the word "shartball" I'm like :roflolmao:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pata Pata Pata Pon posted:

Chitoryu, you've got me hooked on your Let's Reads. Also, every time I read the word "shartball" I'm like :roflolmao:

I'm glad I can bring people joy through my suffering!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

where's the drunken james joyce i was promised

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

echopapa posted:

this is the exact opposite of good advice

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A human heart posted:

where's the drunken james joyce i was promised

The sex scenes.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm glad I can bring people joy through my suffering!

As I said in the Handbook thread, you're already doing the lord's work eating bizarre MREs; you don't have to suffer for our sins! though I totally love all three threads

Also, I admit I might be a little afraid to post ITT, as when I posted in the Handbook one I got this handsome fella you see here, my very first avatar. Watch me get an anatomical drawing of a chybut from the glossary or something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Maybe now we can finally finish the drat first chapter.

quote:

The four youngsters crammed themselves into the commuter shuttle. Geupetus waited patiently. After they settled noisily onto the small rear cushions, he closed the hatch and resumed driving. He drove barely a octafet when the questions bombarded his ears.

Murkuria and Thorius immediately begin begging their dad to tell them about the starship they're working on at the Complex. Some of the dialogue establishes that the Furlites have already developed sleeper ships:

quote:

“It was launched 225 years ago.[9] What would you expect?” Murkuria commented.

“So it is not truly interstellar with such weak engines, but the new ship, wow, has unbel -- ” Thorius closed his mouth with an audible snap.  

“What are you saying?” Elara spun to face him, brows furrowed with suspicion. “What do you know about this?”

“I just heard the new ship has super-powerful engines,” Thorius answered serenely.  

“I know you know more than that,” Elara retorted. “I can feel it.”  

“Well, children,” Geupetus chuckled, forestalling any argument. “You heard correctly. There is a new ship. I will tell you about it at home.”

quote:

[9]  225 Aroriellian years are equivalent to 382.5 Earth years.

Okay the Furlites can't have developed anything even vaguely resembling "security". You'd imagine an interstellar starship capable of rapid travel across the galaxy would be a massive undertaking subject to at least some kind of classified data restrictions, but the ship commanders just tell their kids about everything going on at work and even bring home completely unsecured disks with all the blueprints!

I mean, maybe that is pretty realistic knowing what I know about how humans handle classified intel....

The conversation in the car is glossed over with basic descriptions of how the conversation goes. Thorius admits to having found the disk with the schematics, and Elara tries to pry the details out of him. Geupetus drives down the tree-lined roads until they reach the family's massive stone house. They park the vehicle inside the home's shuttle hangar, where the rest of the family has already landed.

quote:

Elara hoisted her sagging backsack, then stepped out of the craft. Kanus stepped past her, walking out of the shuttleport.  

“Good night, Elara!” he called back cheerfully, then broke into a run. Elara turned and waved. Her farewell greeting stuck in her throat. The snow swirled across the shuttlepath, and Kanus’ figure appeared to change. His dark russet fur lightened, then lengthened, and Elara swallowed convulsively. He followed the same path that Tes . . . Elara shivered. NO! DO NOT think that name! NO! She closed her eyes, concentrating with all her discipline to shut the painful memories from her mind. She struggled to purge them from her. Why? Why did these memories haunt her again? The last time Kanus left her house, to run to his home next door, the same illusion occurred.  

“Elara?”  

Elara started, and gazed into the concerned amber eyes of her younger sister. She sensed Murkuria’s worry. Thorius stared at his sisters in pure confusion.  

“I am fine.” Elara forced a smile, willing the memories down and away. She concentrated, squashing the depression before it mushroomed. “I will beat you to the door!”  

Elara kicked up a glittering shower of snow, and rocketed from the hangar. Murkuria stood a moment, gazing after her. Something troubled Elara, that much she knew, but what? Thorius suddenly bumped her.

“Come on! She has a head start!”  

Murkuria forgot her worry. With a laugh, she raced after her brother and sister. The three youngsters plowed through the deep snow, ignoring the cleared walkway. Elara skidded up to the door, her toe claws scrabbling on the ice. She deftly opened the door with barely a break in her stride. She stumbled into the foyer, and regained sure footing. The twins hit the ice, and their skid brought out uproarious laughter from both. They slid over the threshold and smashed into Elara. All three tumbled to the wet slate in a big furry heap.  

“Hey!” Elara extricated herself from the tangle of limbs and tails, rubbing her shoulder. The twins scrambled to their feet.  

“Sorry,” they apologized in unison. At that moment, a squealing, squawking ball of white fur darted into the foyer on blurred white wings.

“Iggie!” Murkuria cried, and the feisty furball landed in the crook of Murkuria’s elbow., digging in all four sets of claws for balance. Murkuria stroked the Matissia’s back as Iggie chirped a greeting, furling her strong wings. Her large green eyes glowed as she pricked up her big furry ears. Murkuria smiled.

Now we finally have our Matissia of the title!

Their mother, Nethunia, also appears to greet them. They talk about whether or not they're allowed to play games on the computer console downstairs before dinner, and whether they'll go to the State Shartball championships. Nethunia expresses her disapproval at Elara and Kanus having gone to the Gamehouse after school, even after she promises that they stayed in the Fun Room where the adults aren't allowed to drink.

quote:

“I know you would not cause trouble but . . .”

The door opened, and Nethunia shifted her gaze. Her spouse entered the foyer, shaking the snow from his very long predominantly-white coat. “By the triple moons,” she murmured under her breath, “that man gets so wooly in winter.” The extra hair gave him the illusion of unbelievable size on top of his true huge build. Nethunia walked over to him as Elara sauntered past her into the kitchen.  

“Greetings.” She embraced him. “Glad you are home. Long day, has it not been?”  

“Very long.” He wiped his feet. “I do need to relax, but I have news that concerns all of us.”  

Nethunia frowned, catching his inner turmoil.  

“Nothing is wrong with the ship, is there?”  

“Nothing,” he smiled.

“Are we all ready to eat?” A call from Orios silenced everyone for a few moments. Orios stood, pride in his emerald eyes, his entire silver-white gold-patched body radiating delight. The family moved to the dining table, everyone taking their accustomed places. The tableware glistened in an array of rich intricate colors, belying their sturdy rugged acrylic-glass composition. Iggie circled over the table in excitement, but a sharp hand gesture from Murkuria sent her to her own bowl. She whined a protest, but obeyed promptly, then crooned approval at her bowl’s steaming contents. Orios served his preparations, with Ara helping out. As he and Ara sat down, everyone filled their plates with Guanis steaks, Gurt roots, a few leafy vegetables, and bowls of steaming organ meats. Elara listened to the clanking dishware, and wondered if she should tell of Kanus’ brawl.

This dialogue is such a goddamn chore to get through with the refusal to use contractions.

Elara doesn't get the chance to talk about Kanus because Nethunia already found out, and decides to begin dinner conversation with it. Elara promises her grandmother, Isea, that he didn't start it, but she can't believe such a well-mannered boy would fight like a savage from the Furlites' tribal days. Elara snaps at her over it.

quote:

“I am sorry,” Elara whispered. She tried to stop her trembling. Why had she reacted so? She liked Kanus, but not as bondpartner, nor even as best friend. Somehow, tonight, Kanus’ image jumbled with images of her long-gone best friend, Tes . . . She shook her head violently. NO! She fought the wave of sorrow and grief with tremendous strength of will. She lowered her eyes, ignoring the sudden concern in her mother’s expression, staring at the ornate edge of her aquamarine plate. She studied the play of the light in the glass alloy.

“Uh oh,” she whispered under her breath, “Mother senses something. This will not get me, no.”

“What?” Isea asked, while the rest of the family stared at her.

Elara squashed the last emotion down, and, raising her head, faced her grandmother. “I am sorry. I spoke without thinking.”

Elara starts telling the story of what happened: they were in the Fun Room (which sounds like they were at the playground in a McDonald's) and Kanus challenged her to a match of Star Warrior, but an older drunk Furlite thought he was challenging him to a fight and slashed him with his claws. Kanus maintained his composure and beat the poo poo out of him until some adults stopped the fight.

Murkuria takes the time to admit to her fight at school. Her family is in perfect agreement that she acted appropriately to help Tria, and Geupetus finds it a waste of time that the school called his shuttlephone and the house over such a small matter. They diss on Kutius some more, which is okay because he doesn't have a learning disability like Tria so he's just an rear end in a top hat.

quote:

“What of poor Tria? She is so good-hearted,” Ara asked. “Could something like this hurt her? I mean, will she stay extroverted enough to bond one day?”

“You would think of such a thing,” Nethunia laughed. “She should have no troubles, with her strong family to guide her. Remember, a very difficult birth caused her problems, not genetic influence. She should be fine.”  

“What about Kutius?” Ara frowned. “He will be old enough for sex soon. He does not deserve it.”  

“How disgusting, Aunt Ara!” Murkuria burst out, forgetting her anxieties. She giggled. “Who would want to TOUCH him, let alone do funny things with him! Yeeeuccck!”  

The entire group erupted into raucous laughter. Murkuria grinned, pleased she managed to make her mother laugh heartily.

It's okay Murkuria, I share your sentiment about Furlite sex. Especially when it comes to loving children what is wrong with you Ara.

After more insulting Kutius and his family, Geupetus decides to reveal the big news to his family: they've developed the Sunpyne, a starship that can travel at just under the speed of light, and Geupetus has been offered command. Even more importantly, Fleet Commander Siritus has offered crew positions to the entire Clan Darius. Geupetus hands the entire family envelopes inviting them to their positions on the crew with Cadet ranking....except the twins.

quote:

“Father? What of Thorius and me?”  Geupetus looked at his twins, and all exultation drained from him. The dreaded announcement had arrived. The panic in both faces drilled into his heart, but Geupetus steeled himself against those eyes.

“I was getting to that,” his voice murmured, as soft as Nethunia’s. The table quieted again. “If we take the assignments, you and your brother would have to stay behind, probably with Uncle Cerus and Aunt Eselia, but . . .”  

“We cannot go!? Why, Father?? WHY?!” Thorius interrupted, his voice rising frantically. He looked at Murkuria, but she hid her face in her hands.  

“Son,” Geupetus responded softly, unable to discipline the child for rudeness. “We have not decided yet, but, yes, if we do go, you both must stay behind. It is the law.”  

Thorius knew better than to utter another word of protest. He understood the law. All children of spacefaring people knew it well. He dimly recalled the days when all his family members departed on separate missions. On those rare occasions, the Sauri's flights, which Geupetus commanded, occurred at the same time as Orios’ trips to the main Lunar Base. Back then, Orios supervised the Lunar Base, with Isea as his Science Officer, a situation which left nobody behind to watch Thorius and his sisters. Off to relatives they went, usually staying at Uncle Cerus’, with their cousins Esurus, Elia, and Ceria. Thorius heaved a silent sigh.

“Thorius, it will not be so bad.” Murkuria took his hand. “We will have fun at Elia and Ceria’s, and by time they come back, we will be Cadets,” Murkuria whispered. Thorius raised his head slowly, bravely, and faced Geupetus.  

“I am sorry for my outburst, Father. Murkuria and I will make you proud. When you come back, we will be Cadets, ready to join your crew.”  Geupetus stared at his son a long moment, a sudden lump of emotion rendering him speechless. He took a long slow breath.  

“I am sure you will, son, but . . . ” Geupetus paused. “But this journey will be long. By the time we return, you may be Commander of your own ship.”  

Murkuria gaped. Thorius stared, shock in his lavender eyes.  

“Father,” he whispered. “How long?”

“About twenty-five years.”

And there's the rub. Geupetus thinks of Elara's "stunt" from 6 years ago, when she was the twins' age, but it's not yet revealed to us just what she did.

Thorius is smart enough to also know that with the near-light speed travel, his family will barely age. The twins will be 37 years old while the rest of the family is only slightly older than they are now, leaving them older than some of their current elders. Surprisingly, most of the family seems to demonstrate absolutely no qualms about leaving!

quote:

“I believe we should go.” Orios’ voice startled the twins into silence. “We are spacefarers, after all. It is what we all trained for. It is our obligation, to us, to that new ship.”  

“I agree with my spouse,” Isea spoke up. She glanced at Geupetus. “This ship is meant for you to Command. It is obvious now. You know, too, that is where you are happiest. This is the opportunity of a lifetime. I, for one, do not wish to let it get away. Clan Darius should claim the first Starship as its own. Tradition calls us, as it did to our pioneering Clan ancestors who flew the first orbital ship, the first lunar ship, the first interplanetary ship, and the first Sleeper ship.”  

“Mother is right. I, too, wish to accept.” Ara gazed solemnly at her brother. “I belong up there. Outer space is where an Astronomer can study best.”

drat, that is cold. Not even a moment's hesitation to leave the kids behind until adulthood.

Elara and Nethunia are the only ones who show any kind of reticence, but both of them accept after only a few seconds of thought. Even Elara, who apparently has some deep-seated trauma related to this!

quote:

“Ara, will you please clear the table?” Nethunia asked, and collected the twins, guiding them to the computer console. She dug into Orios’ case, pulling out two disks. Orios nodded approval. As information on the ship filled the screen, both youngsters roused from their depression. Nethunia walked silently back to the dining area as Thorius’ last audible words -- “I told you it was a real one” -- rang in her ears. Loading the washer, Nethunia watched the twins. Both studied the screen with interest, yawning at the same time. Nethunia concentrated on the cleaning at hand, controlling her inner turmoil. Her mind spun with memories of Ara’s excitement, Elara’s joy, Isea’s delight, and Orios’ jubilation, but the exultant glitter in Geupetus’ eyes burned into her psyche. She feared his zest for life might fade forever if she obeyed her instincts, and forced him to give up command for her. She refused to allow that to ever happen. Deep down, Nethunia perceived that the Sunpyne summoned the Clan to fly again. She rejected the worry and the prodding maternal emotion that threatened her Clan’s destiny. She inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly, ready to board that ship and do her job.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

the synopsis posted:

Clan Darius, after careful deliberation as a family, driven by their sense of responsibility, discipline, and duty, decide they must squelch their emotions and accept the commission - leaving the twins on Aroriel.

Careful deliberation = 5 seconds of looking at twins, shrugging, and going, "Lol gently caress you guys, we're going into SPACE!"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Pata Pata Pata Pon posted:

Careful deliberation = 5 seconds of looking at twins, shrugging, and going, "Lol gently caress you guys, we're going into SPACE!"

Let me think - Retarded AF pubescent twins or SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE?

TEAM CHYBUT IS BLASTING OFF AGAIN!

Try not to burn the house down, kids.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

quote:

“Nothing,” he smiled.

:argh::argh: you cannot smile dialogue, god dammit :argh::argh:

quote:

“What about Kutius?” Ara frowned. “He will be old enough for sex soon. He does not deserve it.”

“How disgusting, Aunt Ara!” Murkuria burst out, forgetting her anxieties. She giggled. “Who would want to TOUCH him, let alone do funny things with him! Yeeeuccck!”

:laffo::laffo:

I love that his name is cute-ius, too. Subtle. Well, maybe. I presume there is a pronunciation guide somewhere in the appendix.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tagra posted:

I love that his name is cute-ius, too. Subtle. Well, maybe. I presume there is a pronunciation guide somewhere in the appendix.
I've always read it as "cootie-us" myself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of the appendix, I would like to start a new form of mini-update:

The World of the Furlites

In this segment, we take information from the appendix and read over it. As I said, there's a very extensive amount of information in this book. Quite a lot of it is mentioned in passing (sometimes without context) in the actual text, and in some cases you wouldn't really demand context but Marie decided to tell us everything anyway. Perhaps this should shed some light on Aroriel and Furlitian society.

Especially the chapter on reproduction.

quote:

SOLAR SYSTEM FACTS  

Roch: F-type white star, Aroriel’s sun.

Cinsas: the largest of Aroriel’s three moons.

Kamus: the second of Aroriel’s moons.

Tantis: the third and smallest of Aroriel’s moons.

The seven planets in order from their sun.

1. YERTA - small rocky planet, cold core, arid, no life. Same face to sun always. Revolves around Roch in 71 Aroriellian days. No moons.

2. VULTI - small rocky planet, cooling core, thin atmosphere. Spins on axis in 5 Aroriellian days. Revolves around Roch in 178 Aroriellian days. 2 tiny moons.

3. ARELTA - large rocky planet, molten core, dense atmosphere, hot climate, primitive desert life, very little free-flowing water. Spins on axis in 2 Aroriellian days. Revolves around Roch in 248 Aroriellian days. 1 large moon.

4. ARORIEL - largest rocky planet, molten core, cool climate, supports teeming plant and animal life, plenty of free-flowing water and ice. Dominant species: the Furlite, a bipedal sapient race descended from furry, cold-tolerant dinosaurian species that still live on the planet. Aroriel rotates on its axis in 8 Aroriellian hours (33.6 Earth hours). Revolves around Roch in 456 Aroriellian days. 3 moons of various sizes.

5. ROTACHI - huge gas giant, methane-dominated atmosphere, the largest planet in the system. Spins swiftly on its axis in a mere 4 Aroriellian hours. A set of 5 rings circle the colorful green planet. Revolves around Roch in a lengthy 679 Aroriellian years. 20 moons of various sizes.

6. NARTURIK - smaller gas giant, with a set of 7 rings, and orange spots that never move amongst the swirling yellow, brown, and rust clouds. Its day is 10 Aroriellian hours. Revolves around Roch in 945 Aroriellian years. 12 moons.

7. NURATOK - smallest gas giant, shining with bright greens and blues. Its ring system is spectacular, swirling out in distance larger than the radius of the planet. It spins on its axis in 15 cinths, and revolves around Roch in a sluggish 1205 Aroriellian years. No moons.

As usual, all formatting is native to the text itself. The maps are just as unreadable in the Kindle version as they are here.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 26, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ah the Starship Buttplug of the Dangerous Class (no flared base).

Seriously, how is propelled? On wishes and dreams?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Proteus Jones posted:

Ah the Starship Buttplug of the Dangerous Class (no flared base).

They just sortof fart it out

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EEWWWWW

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

Shartball?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I find these sort of Let's Reads fascinating because there's so much background work on a goofy sci-fi story...but to what end? Is this a hard vs. soft sci-fi thing? Or a creator spending waaaaay too much time on tiny details of their universe that don't support the narrative in any way? I feel like this is a prototype to stuff like Malatoria or the guy obsessed with illegal divers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I find these sort of Let's Reads fascinating because there's so much background work on a goofy sci-fi story...but to what end? Is this a hard vs. soft sci-fi thing? Or a creator spending waaaaay too much time on tiny details of their universe that don't support the narrative in any way? I feel like this is a prototype to stuff like Malatoria or the guy obsessed with illegal divers.

I think it's an obsession thing. Marie wrote a multi-book series about furry saurian aliens (inspired by her Maine Coons) that have gratuitous sex scenes on multiple occasions, with an extensive appendix detailing the entire alien government, several dozen invented units of time and measurement, and their reproductive habits. You don't do that because you're really into hard sci-fi. You do that because you have a problem.

Also I went back to the original quotes from Curse of Koris that inspired this thread and Kutius is the one in the horrific sex scenes. I guess he really did find someone to do funny things with.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 26, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The_White_Crane posted:

Oh, do tell. Please, I want to know how their legal system works.
Are verdicts decided by ritual Shartball games, perhaps?

I missed this question, but from what I remember it's like a libertarian thing where they have a council that does votes and referendums for major governmental decisions but the Furlites are mostly left to their own devices, with things like nearly unlimited freedom to own weapons. Punishments for severe crimes usually involve isolation in the wilderness for various periods of time (including potentially indefinite detention).

There's also a murder rate of nearly zero because murderers are executed immediately and evolution has thus selected against people genetically predisposed to kill others.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

I think my favorite thing is that, in this world of cat-dinosaurs with a whole other vocabulary for their alien biology and culture, a steak sandwich is still a steak sandwich.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

RoeCocoa posted:

I think my favorite thing is that, in this world of cat-dinosaurs with a whole other vocabulary for their alien biology and culture, a steak sandwich is still a steak sandwich.
Be fair. It's a guano Guanis steak.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

So wait, there's only one bathroom, and it's on the complete opposite end from the command room? What chafk-of-a-chybut vutz designed this thing?

edit: I just remembered you have the glossary of Furlite insults. What did I just call the designer? I'm dying to know.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 27, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Why is there a swimming pool on their exploratory craft?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Kavak posted:

Why is there a swimming pool on their exploratory craft?
And why is it there?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

And why is it there?

Right next to the lav? Sure makes bathing post lav-use SO MUCH EASIER!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

... it's like a libertarian thing ...

Of course it is.
And I bet they don't have taxes either, but still somehow managed to put together an interstellar space program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

Of course it is.
And I bet they don't have taxes either, but still somehow managed to put together an interstellar space program.

Because their enlightened self-interest dictated everyone would chip in resources and capital. You know, once they figured out who the ONE person that was going to be the idea guy running the Wiki was.

• Locked thread