Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

"I hope they remember to get the third chybut, you know the one that descends at bonding, you know like how I have to exposit how our alien biology works even though we're all aliens and are comfortably familiar with bodily functions since that doesn't seem to be a particular taboo in our enlightened free space-faring society that murders murderers for any reason."

Also after paragraphs of weird insults "slopass boy" sent me into giggles. "Come, let us start a game, and forget slopass boy" is going to come to mind now every time some loser guy whines about diversity in gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The World of the Furlites

Now we get into the part everyone is interested in: biology!

quote:

LIFESPAN INFORMATION

Average Furlitian Lifespan = 130 Aroriellian years = 229 Earth years.
Average Human Lifespan  = 45 Aroriellian years = 76.5 Earth years.

quote:

FURLITIAN EVOLUTION & RACES     

On Aroriel, life evolved under cooler conditions than on Earth. Reptilian lifeforms which arose in the tropical regions quickly evolved into a type of furry crocodilian which spread over the globe during warmer eras in Aroriellian geologic history. From one very cold-tolerant species evolved Aroriellian mammalians, including furry dinosaurian mammalians, during a cooling-down period.    

The Furlite evolved from a Monius-like creature in the northern subpolar and temperate zones in a very cold and environmentally challenging time amid Aroriel’s geologic history. They banded together in packs, which evolved into tribes. They learned to cooperate in order to raise their slow-maturing young, protecting them not only from the fierce elements, but also from larger, more savage carnivores which roamed the planet at that time.    

The Stone Age Furlites, who changed color with the seasons, spread out all over the globe, and settled into civilizations. They evolved, increasing in size and brain power. Somewhere along the journey to global domination as a species, Furlites lost the capacity to change color with the seasons. It is not clearly understood why this change occurred. During this time, tribes settled in various parts of the world, securing territory and abundant resources. Isolation from each other as a result of continental drift, and the climate of their homelands, produced the five original aboriginal races of Furlitekind that persisted for millennia. The five original Frlitian races, Artropic, Tropic, Midrace, Arctic, and Arielartic, became very prejudiced and did not allow interracial bondings to survive. Warring between groups for territory and resources was common, until the climate warmed from natural cyclic fluctuations, producing abundant game and ample territory for all the races. Treaties were signed, and most tribes agreed to live in peace, to trade, and to abolish weaponry of war. Though peace reigned over the globe, racial preferences and prejudices ruled the tribes, and the races stayed quite separate for eons.

Only the tyranny of a power-hungry self-proclaimed king in the Furlitian Middle Ages and the fight for freedom from his brutal reign broke the taboo of interracial bonding. From that time until the present day, races blended with each new bond until no pure strains remained. This total mix of genetics resulted in Furlites spanning not only the color spectrum with every combination of markings and eye color, but the varieties in size and body build that are prevalent in modern Furlites. Below are illustrations of the five races and of the evolution of Furlitekind in relation to other Aroriellian mammalians.

quote:

FOOD

Gurt root = tuber, similar to a potato/yam hybrid.

Jala root = tuber, resembling a carrot/turnip hybrid.

Kaba = chocolate-like bean. Used in many foods; similar to cocoa. Color, however, is a dark maroon.

Meats = wild Sorsa, Guanis, Dokit, Pachesif, Swikus, and Gerial are hunted for food. Sorsat, Guanat, Dokit, Swikin, and Geriat are species bred for the table.

Milk = comes from domestic Sorsats and Guanats. Consumed as a beverage and used in cooking. Cheeses and puddings also are made from these heavy, thick milks.

Ruscol = coffee-like hot beverage.

Shistus = alcoholic beverage, similar to a wine/beer mix.

Once more, Marie's limited imagination shows in the Furlitian food. It's mostly just renamed "simple" foods, and they even have their own versions of coffee, chocolate, and ice cream. It feels like only a few particular aspects of this book (like clawing each other to death in schoolyard fights and having three testicles) couldn't be done with humans in the far future.

And now, the moment we've all been waiting for.

quote:

BONDING PHYSIOLOGY & CULTURE     

Furlites bond physiologically and psychologically when the right mate is encountered. This system is driven by pheromones neither sex consciously controls or is conscious of. The instinctive impulse to find a suitable mate for bonding drives Furlites of all ages, as the bonding pheromones are active soon after birth. The urge increases with the onset of puberty, when the sexual pheromones are produced for the first time. Before bonding, neither sex is fertile, thus safe promiscuous sexual activity is common among unbonded individuals. At bonding, as each individual breathes the odorless pheromones into the sinus cavities where the chemical is carried to the brain, changes begin in both mind and body to attune the pair to each other. Bonding may happen instantaneously or over several hours, depending on the age, time spent together, and strength of individual reactions.     

Psychological changes include a sudden intense attraction and an overwhelming compulsion to mate, as well as total disinterest in other suitors. Physiological changes occur in both female and male. Internal changes intensify sensations and climax during the sexual act, and to both comes the onset of fertility. In the female, the ovaries enlarge and begin producing eggs. In the male, the third testicle (chybut) descends and begins producing sperm. Only bonded Furlites can have children, and the bond may only be broken by the death of one of the pair. The survivor often sinks into a spiral of despair, depression, and unconsciousness known as a suicidal coma. If medical help does not intervene, the majority of survivors die soon after their spouses. If the survivor does not die, that individual endures a deep grieving period, after which re-bonding may occur. Younger Furlites are more likely to re-bond after such trauma. Most bondings occur with little trouble, but, as with any biological system, things do not always run smoothly. Below are the types of bonds that can occur.

Double bond = The natural, normal bond between one male and one female.

Single bond = A bond where one partner thinks there is a bond, but no bond exits. Very difficult situation emotionally, and only resolves if the person bonds for real.

Triple bond = Bond that commonly occurs with identical twins, who often bond to the same mate. The male will experience severe changes in his genitalia, such as an enormous double-chambered third chybut (testicle), to accommodate his twin female spouses. However, if a female bonds to twin males, no such drastic change is seen in the males, and since females possess the capacity to handle more than one male prior to bonding, no intense biological adaptation occurs within the female.

Quadruple bond = Rare bonding between two sets of identical twins in which all four are involved. Either male can fertilize either female in such a bond.

Semi-bond = In this bond, both feel strong attraction, but the fertility changes never occur. Both are able to enjoy sexual relations with other partners, though they tend to prefer each other. The attraction is broken only by a true bonding by either to another.

Partial bond = This is an unfinished true bond that is often started in the childhood of one of the partners. A vast age discrepancy, or not enough time spent together, or both, leaves the partners in a semi-bonded state. The afflicted may dream of each other, yet not be fully aware of why. In general, the older of the pair is troubled by dreams and vague feelings. The bond stays in an unfinished state until some change between the two involved triggers the fertility changes which complete the cycle. If the pair are given sufficient time together and exposure to each other, the partial bond usually solidifies into a true double bond.

Single bonds are the "Nice Guys" of Furlitian society.

Also notice how there's absolutely no mention of homosexuality in Furlitian society, but you have males loving twin sisters and growing gigantic balls to deal with it.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I was super bummed that she didn't actually include illustrations of the five races/Furrylite evolution. :mad:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Now we get into the part everyone is interested in: biology!

Once more, Marie's limited imagination shows in the Furlitian food. It's mostly just renamed "simple" foods, and they even have their own versions of coffee, chocolate, and ice cream. It feels like only a few particular aspects of this book (like clawing each other to death in schoolyard fights and having three testicles) couldn't be done with humans in the far future.

And now, the moment we've all been waiting for.

Single bonds are the "Nice Guys" of Furlitian society.

Also notice how there's absolutely no mention of homosexuality in Furlitian society, but you have males loving twin sisters and growing gigantic balls to deal with it.

And we are right back to spined cat dicks. Oh, wait, these are NOT-cats. So she can do what ever she wants. Despite the fact lizards, furred or not, are oviparous.

<starts vigorously massaging temples to forestall a headache>

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Don't worry, it's a very heavy feather.
I think "failure to understand the basics of evolution" can jump to the top of this book's sins list. Goddamn, reading that hurt.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I think the problem is the entire thing is so incredibly dry. Even those sex scenes felt like they were being recited in monotone.

It's so goddamn boring we're having trouble even making fun of it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Can't... muster sarcasm... Losing... consciousness...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tagra posted:

I think the problem is the entire thing is so incredibly dry. Even those sex scenes felt like they were being recited in monotone.

It's so goddamn boring we're having trouble even making fun of it.

i am really not sure why you would say that.frankly i think if anything got more exciting,i would end up with an aneurysm.i wait with such eager anticipation for the results of the shartball tournament as well as the safe launch of the new ship into the cosmos.with such pulse-pounding plot points,i really don't understand how you can be bored.i am octopumped for more.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've noticed that the author doesn't actually know what base 8 is. In her example a couple of updates back, she doesn't replace 16 with 20 as you'd expect. Instead she replaces 18 with 20.

:psyduck:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ibblebibble posted:

I've noticed that the author doesn't actually know what base 8 is. In her example a couple of updates back, she doesn't replace 16 with 20 as you'd expect. Instead she replaces 18 with 20.

:psyduck:

Well, yeah. It's got an 8 in it. Can't you read?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I guess I don't understand base 8 either, isn't it 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-20?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I guess I don't understand base 8 either, isn't it 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-20?

Right, now line those up with their decimal counterparts.

1610 = 208

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh oh oh right got it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I was just being sarcastic ugh the author's understanding of the math system she based half the words in the book around, you had it right

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Across the room, Elara watched the four trot quickly to the console, straining to hear the conversation between the children. Whatever they discussed kept the twins in a decent mood, though Murkuria and Elia looked rather angry. A large audience formed around the console as the twins started up the Star Warrior game. Elara smiled inwardly as little Shervus struggled to break his sister’s grasp. Pria held him tightly, but the little mischief struggled harder.

“Elara?” A hand touched her back. She turned to face all four of her paternal greatparents.

“Greetings!” She smiled broadly, giving Murkurus and Geupria long hugs. She embraced Thoria and Callistus next. She poked once at the glittering Ship Commander’s Medallion resting on Callistus’ chest. “It is good to see all of you.”

“Ah, Elara.” Callistus beamed with pride. “We are so proud you have made Cadet, and will be aboard the new Sunpyne.”

“Thank you, Greatfather.”

“Yes, we are very proud as well.” Her greatmother Geupria grasped her wrist with a silvered hand. Only a few russet strands remained as a reminder of Geupria’s once-solid brilliant color.

“Thank you,” Elara smiled.

“This is indeed a special moment for the entire Clan.” Callistus put an arm across her back and shook her affectionately. She felt his pride so strongly she shifted in discomfort.

“Yes,” she agreed. “I think Father sometimes cannot believe it. He is calm and serious, but his eyes smile all the time.”

“Elara.” Her greatfather Murkurus spoke softly. He lifted a package that sat next to him, handing it to her. His light green-gold eyes crinkled into a smile. “This we brought for you. It is a gift, to honor the third generation Fleet member from our humble side of the family.”

“Thank you,” Elara murmured, and carefully opened the fancy wrapping foil. She wondered how many credits the foil cost them. She opened the inside pouch, and gasped with delight at the gorgeous gift. She studied the new backsack, its stiff fabric printed deep black, decorated with images of the planets in the Rochian system. Roch gleamed in blazing white glory on the central pouch. Elara gazed at it as if unaware that this star shone in the skies of Aroriel every day.

“It is beautiful!” She embraced both greatparents fiercely. “Thank you!”

I've already started to lose track of all these characters, and they mentioned that Clan Darius is crewing the ship so I have a good feeling we're going to be taking the whole drat party along for the ride.

The greatparents begin to cry, as Elara remembers the implications of the 25-year journey.

quote:

“I understand,” she said softly, blinking back stubborn tears of her own. “I will cherish this sack forever.”

The Furlites of Aroriel: I will cherish this sack forever

Geupria also has new sacks for the twins: Thorius gets one covered in photographs of various spacecraft (with the Sunpyne on the big top flap), while Murkuria gets one covered in images of Iggie based on photographs she had sent them last winter.

quote:

“Look! Look! Matissia!”

The cry froze everyone. Murkuria recognized the voice of Shervus, her little cousin. He freed himself from his sister Pria with a final squirm. He dashed past his cousin Kara, who grabbed for him, ducked under Elia, and, before anyone moved, he rushed toward Iggie. Iggie squawked in alarm and spread her wings for flight, but before she launched herself, the little preschooler grabbed her wing. Another hand scooped under her belly. Iggie screamed in outrage and panic. Her lips curled back from needle fangs as she snarled, but before she had the chance to bite, Murkuria exploded with uncontrollable wrath. She grabbed Shervus’ arm, spinning the child around, and wrenched the animal from the shocked little boy’s hands. Iggie’s snap fell on midair.

“Shervus! You horrible boy! Are you crazy?! How dare you grab Iggie by her wing! How cruel you are!” Murkuria’s face contorted with fury. Iggie’s snarls echoed her words. “Do you not have respect for animals? You should not grab even a Monius kit that way! Iggie does not know you! You could have hurt her and she would have bitten you! You . . .”

“Murkuria.” A stern voice shut off her tirade as if she had a switch. “Please control your anger. Shervus is but a baby. Do not project your anger at another on him.”

With what we know of Furlites and Murkuria in particular, Shervus should count himself lucky he didn't end up with his severed head being spiked into a trash can.

They try to let Shervus pet Iggie gently, but his mother Sira freaks out and scoops him up; she's a city slicker who thinks Matissias are all dangerous beasts. The rest of the family convinces her to let Shervus pet her, and even Sira gets in on it. They all apologize and everything is forgiven.

Is it just me, or is there practically zero conflict in this book? 80 pages and Kutius being a dickhead and the stress of leaving the twins behind have been the only sources of conflict. There's been plenty of arguments and disagreements, but every one of them has so far been resolved with everyone apologizing and forgiving one another before moving on to a different subject.

quote:

Elara stared after her siblings, amazed at Murkuria’s fury. The rage that blasted into her own senses far exceeded anything she had ever felt from her sister before. As the ruckus died down, Elara turned away and drifted through the room. She meandered over to Shaltra and baby Surius again. She smiled at them, and the baby opened his eyes, cooed, and smiled toothlessly at her.

“He really likes you,” Shaltra commented. “He usually shies from non-household members. Would you like to hold him again?”

“Yes, I would love to.” Elara sank to the cushion, then lifted him from his cradle. She cuddled the baby, muttering silly words to him. He burbled happily. She wondered, would she ever have children? One needed to bond to do so, and no male took interest in her, not even Kanus! Bonding stimulated the reproductive system to fertility. Indulging in sex with anyone without bonding produced no pregnancies. Yet, sexual experience eluded her, not on account of ugliness or stupidity, but because males found her inexplicably unattractive. They treated her like a sister, though often commenting on her beauty and intelligence. Why?

Normally, by the age of nineteen years old, a young Furlite’s virgin days lay years in the past, but Elara’s still hung with her. She feared a dysfunction of her pheromone system, but avoided telling anyone. As a Commander’s daughter, she refused to admit to a weakness that might get back to her classmates, or, worse, ground her from space flights. Let everyone think she and Kanus enjoyed a good relationship, and that she understood what her friends swooned and delighted over. Someday, she might learn of sexual passions, and even bond if she revealed the truth, but, for now, nothing must change.

STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR WEIRD CAT SEX HABITS WHEN A BABY SHOWS U--

Oh the chapter just loving ends here. That's swell.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

So their lifespan is 130 years (229 Earth years) but they're already getting it on well before 19 (whatever the gently caress that is in Earth years). Makes sense :huh:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tagra posted:

So their lifespan is 130 years (229 Earth years) but they're already getting it on well before 19 (whatever the gently caress that is in Earth years). Makes sense :huh:

Well, there's still direct Earth parallels like the age of adulthood being around 18 and the legal drinking age being 23. It seems like they just have a very long "elderly" period where they become senior citizens at the normal time and then last for a good hundred years after.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Sorry to drag this up from the last page, but I only just now caught back up with the thread after a busy week.

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, someone mentioned Kutius being sterile. Here's why:
That's about how his ancestor Koris and his followers were punished. Kutius was castrated entirely on his own terms.

chitoryu12 posted:

Is it just me, or is there practically zero conflict in this book? 80 pages and Kutius being a dickhead and the stress of leaving the twins behind have been the only sources of conflict. There's been plenty of arguments and disagreements, but every one of them has so far been resolved with everyone apologizing and forgiving one another before moving on to a different subject.
I think that this is part of why this thread's gotten such a weak reception (especially compared to the runaway popularity of your Handbook for Mortals thread). The insane, incoherent worldbuilding is funny, the word "chybut" is funny, and Shartball is the greatest sport ever conceived, but the actual substance of the book just sits there doing nothing. That's also why I posted precious little besides the sex scenes from Curse of Koris; most of that book (from what I could tell at a quick skim) is just Furlites talking at each other without contractions.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm having a hard time even reading the excerpts.

Handbook of Mortals was written by a talentless narcissistic rear end in a top hat who thought writing a book would be a quick ticket to Hollywood fame.

This is just a look into the mind of a legit crazy person. Also known as a cat lady from long island.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

big ups to the amazing thread where a guy meticulously goes line by line through the bad book and says 'hmm, this plot point is bad! yep, definitely bad. not seeing any good here.'

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

A human heart posted:

big ups to the amazing thread where a guy meticulously goes line by line through the bad book and says 'hmm, this plot point is bad! yep, definitely bad. not seeing any good here.'

as opposed to the guy who goes thread to thread and does the same?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Kutius was castrated entirely on his own terms.

Somehow this makes it worse.

Also, I apologize if I don't have rapid updates or a whole lot of cheer recently. My fiancee kinda left me yesterday and I can't tell when or if this depression is ever going away.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

chitoryu12 posted:

I just realized that this makes it sound like it was his idea or something; I was too tired when I typed that. (I had started with "his own merits", but that makes it sound like it was a reward.) Anyway, his castration is not connected to that of Koris.

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I apologize if I don't have rapid updates or a whole lot of cheer recently. My fiancee kinda left me yesterday and I can't tell when or if this depression is ever going away.
That's awful. I hope that the "kinda" means that you might end up back together, but if not, I hope that this gets behind you quickly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That's awful. I hope that the "kinda" means that you might end up back together, but if not, I hope that this gets behind you quickly.

I'm not sure right now. She was acting strangely for a while and suddenly announced yesterday that she had secretly been unhappy for the past 6 months of our engagement and I couldn't fix anything. At the same time, she didn't take anything but a single basket of clothes and left almost all of her other belongings with me and she just said "I don't know" when asked if moving out also meant she was breaking off our engagement permanently.

I just don't know. I'm not a sobbing fit any more but I don't think I'm getting over this for a long time, if at all. You can't just put years into a person and build your future around getting married and having kids and then just shrug your shoulders and move on when she suddenly tells you "gently caress that".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Man, no apologies necessary! You do what you need to do to get by. Hang tough, Chi! Be as well as you can!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm feeling a bit better, so back we go into the chybuts.

quote:

Thorius awoke to the sounds of laughter and lively conversation. He slowly sat up, confused and very depressed, blinking in the bright light, and remembered. Only octiens now remained of his last day with his family. Thorius sighed, and went to the window to stare out at the glorious winter morning. The snow glittered with illusive rainbow sparkles, and the sun slanted past the thick tree branches to cover the yard in lacy patterns. Murkuria’s two Mountain Squet trees stretched smooth, naked, grey-barked branches into the sky. Murkuria sat next to him.

“My poor trees,” she lamented. “I think they, too, will miss everyone.”

“You love them. They will thrive,” Thorius murmured. “Why are you awake so early?”

“I did not sleep well,” she mumbled, her voice shaking. “Oh, Thorius, what will we do?”

“I do not know.”

Nethunia comes to get the twins for breakfast, but sits with them and hugs them after seeing them cry. The conversation is basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxDInu6wOYg&t=11s

They eat breakfast quietly and sullenly, hot cereal Orios made from their own grain growing. The family shares small talk, like about putting warning signs up along the Floodlands and Ara's team winning the Shartball game. Elara leaves to go pack, and Geupetus follows her.

They're allowed to pack whatever they want on the Sunpyne as long as they can carry it, so Elara fills her sack to the brim until it's nearly too heavy for her to lift; she's used to it from carrying so many fossils home from her Paleontology class.

quote:

Geupetus paused.

“What is it, Father?” Elara unbuckled her sack, then eased it to the rug. She sensed his reluctance. “You must tell me now. It would be unfair not to.”

“Do you remember Telluris?”

“Yes, he is Tesuris’ father.” Elara’s insides snarled into a knot. The name flowed out; the first time she had spoken it aloud in over five years. Her father must NOT know it still troubled her! As a Cadet, she should show NO weakness! She wrestled with the cyclonic emotions that threatened to burst forth, and quickly composed herself.

Geupetus paused indecisively. Did pain flash across her face? It disappeared so quickly he wondered if he had truly seen anything at all. Did she still hurt over that horrible incident so many years ago? If so, why? Should he, by telling her his news, risk opening ancient wounds? Her distinct lack of any sexual relations worried him. She and Kanus spent a lot of time together, but no aura of sensuality ever accompanied their encounters. She gazed at him expectantly. Geupetus shrugged, then sighed.

“Elara, Telluris is going to be my Ship Second.” Geupetus paused again.

“That is great news. I am happy you will be working together again.”

“And Tesuris is going to be our junior Navigator, working under Subcommander Turus.”  

Elara stood frozen. Tesuris? Tesuris! Her mind let the name flow. Her emotions whirled inside, confusion rushing to the forefront. Would he remember her? Could they still be friends? The questions tumbled faster and faster until she wanted to run screaming from the room, but she dared not. Once again calling on her strength of will, she calmed the tumultuous storm in her heart, and, with a smile, faced her father.

“That is wonderful, Father! I will be most happy with our reunion!”

“Are you . . . ?”

A sudden cheep silenced further talk. Elara turned to see the twins standing in the doorway. She glanced at Iggie clinging to Murkuria’s back, big green eyes wide and sad, reflecting Murkuria’s emotional state. A loyal little creature, Iggie would do anything within her powers for Murkuria.

“Are you packing?” Thorius asked softly.

“I am finished. But you can help me pack the fossils. You are taking them to Uncle Cerus’, are you not?”

“Yes. I will care for them well.” Murkuria walked over to the shelves.

“I know you will,” Elara said softly. “I will help you prepare them for moving. It is a delicate task.”

The casual way the Furlites treat sex comes off as really, really creepy. Any dad that's concerned about his 19-year-old daughter not loving enough has a lot of soul searching to do.

Most of the day passes quickly from there. Geupetus approaches his bondfather Enlis to try and clear the air regarding his feud with Cerus back in school, but Enlis waves it off as happening too long ago to matter. Finally, it's time for the family to leave. Thorius and Murkuria are left in the care of their grandparents and cousins to cry themselves out.

When he's put to bed, Thorius ignores sleep in favor of staring longingly out the window. He catches a glimpse of his mother's old shuttle....and remembers that he knows its locking and ignition codes.

quote:

“Why did I not think of this before,” he muttered. “I can drive Mother’s old craft! I can! And I know the way to the Space Center well!”

Elation soared within his aching heart as the outrageous plan unfolded like a spring flower in his mind. He scurried over to Murkuria’s bed, placing a hand on her shoulder. She blinked at him.

“Murkuria!” His urgent whispering caused her to lift her head, her eyes wet with leaking tears. “We can go to the Complex!”

“What?” Murkuria’s voice wavered in a raspy whisper. “How?” She sat up instantly. “Did they come back for us?”

“No.” Thorius’ next words quelled her rising hope. “We can take Mother’s old shuttle and go down there. I know its codes. We can sneak out, and who will notice at that time of night?”

“What will we do there?”

“Do you not get it? We will get aboard that ship ourselves!”

“Thorius!” Murkuria stared. “We cannot do that!”

“Yes, we can. I can drive, and I know the route to the Space Center so well I could get there in my sleep.”

Murkuria gaped at him. “We cannot do that. It is wrong to steal shuttles. We cannot yet drive. Breaking laws is wrong!” Her voice rose. “Remember when Elara did it? She failed, and was caught! Most shuttles go by hand and finger prints now anyway.”

“Shhhh! Grandparents will hear you! Mother’s is older and still has locking codes.”

“Thorius.” Murkuria’s whisper dropped. “It will not work.”

“We will not be stealing, only borrowing,” Thorius argued. “We will leave a note on my bed. By morning, when they find it, we will be aboard the Sunpyne.”

Keep in mind that these two kids are literally 12. I'd be surprised if Thorius can even see over the dashboard.

quote:

“Do you not listen?” Murkuria hissed. “Elara barely made it a octyle[12] before she was caught! What makes you think we can do better?”

quote:

[12] Octyle is equivalent to a kilometer, or roughly a half a mile.

Thorius explains that Elara was only caught in her as-of-now mysterious activity because she drove like an rear end in a top hat in the daylight, where it was easy for the cops to see that a child was driving. Thorius has never even driven a car before, but he's seen people do it so he's confident that he'll be fine. Murkuria still refuses, and Thorius goes to bed defeated in his attempt to progress the plot faster than a snail.

Murkuria has a nightmare of seeing her family getting aboard the Sunpyne and walking into an empty black corridor, the door slamming shut in her face.

quote:

“Thorius! Wake up!”

“What is wrong?” he mumbled, uncurling slowly. The urgency in her voice sat him up immediately.

“A very horrible dream!”

“But you never have nightmares,” he frowned.

“I know. It means you are right. We must go, or we may never see them again.”

“What was the dream?”

Murkuria recounted every detail. Thorius’ insides snarled into a knot of foreboding.

“Thorius, we will go.”

“Excellent!” Thorius hugged her. “I am so glad you changed your mind. Tomorrow, we will plan the trip.”

“Good. I feel better now.” Murkuria smiled, her lips trembling.

The twins curled up and fell asleep, no bad dreams, no restless tossing. They slept so deeply that they never noticed when Enlis and Anuria placed a very groggy Matissia on Murkuria’s bed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
...Is that an actual illustrati-
Oh, nevermind. Of course it is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is that lipstick and mascara?

I.. wha.. WHY?

:psyboom:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

chitoryu12 posted:

no bad dreams
...I don't know about that, those things look horrifying.

It is it ever explained why none of the hideous things ever use contractions?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The illustration is actually the start of the next chapter, but I stumbled upon it and couldn't restrain myself.

Pesky Splinter posted:

They get made fun of for "baby talk" whenever they do, so presumably they consider the use of contractions immature and improper grammar.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.
I'm really glad to see that you're feeling a bit better, chi. I enjoyed your Lani Sarem thread a lot, and I was missing my chybut fix here. Best wishes to you and keep on keepin' on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lysistrata posted:

I'm really glad to see that you're feeling a bit better, chi. I enjoyed your Lani Sarem thread a lot, and I was missing my chybut fix here. Best wishes to you and keep on keepin' on.

Thanks a lot. My friends have been doing well to keep my spirits up. I'm heading to a Halloween movie night with them where we're going to watch Hocus Pocus and a currently undecided second movie.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pesky Splinter posted:

God I hate when authors do that, it's always more off-putting than giving a unique voice to things. The only book I haven't minded it in has been the Longmire mysteries, and that's because it's one character, commented on as being odd, and it actually makes his dialogue feel different because it contrasts with everyone else. They kept it for the TV adaptation and it works the same way there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chitoryu12 posted:

a currently undecided second movie.

"What We Do in the Shadows" is available for free streaming on Amazon right now (may need Prime)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"What We Do in the Shadows" is available for free streaming on Amazon right now (may need Prime)

God yes. This movie is so funny.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The only book I haven't minded it in has been the Longmire mysteries, and that's because it's one character, commented on as being odd, and it actually makes his dialogue feel different because it contrasts with everyone else.

I remember those novels - doesn't that character also get fed up with how easy the mysteries are, then accidentally create a super Moriarty?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

God yes. This movie is so funny.

Dear God, yes!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let's get into some information on the organization that our kids are planning on breaking into:

quote:

SPACE FLEET INFORMATION

SPEP = Space Flight Educational Program is open to all students as they enter Primary School at 15 years of age. In rare instances, SFEP curriculum is available to children of younger age should they show exceptional promise. This extracurricular program is in addition to normal school work, and instructs would-be spacefarers in the rigors and demands of their chosen careers. A grueling program, it is designed to weed out the unfit, while producing, by eighteen years of age, students suited for a career in the Space Flight Program. If one is chosen as a Cadet, schooling continues at the Space Center on the grounds of the University of Cosmic Sciences.

The "SPEP" there is part of the original text, likely a typo left in by the author.

quote:

Space Fleet Rank System

Fleet Commander = oversees everything involved with the space fleet, including commercial flights such as freighters to lunar and other planetary bases, as well as exploratory flights.

Ship Commander = a Commander given command of a space craft. Ship Commanders are higher in rank than grounded Commanders, and pecking order of respect is determined by size and importance of ship, and how many ships a Clan commands.

Commander = a Commander is the best in his field or fields of study, and possesses strong leadership ability. Often is responsible for work and studies done in his or her fields of expertise. Generally is proficient in two or more disciplines.

Subcommander = masters one area of expertise; often skilled in another. If the individual shows leadership potential, he or she is given subordinates to oversee. Many are happy to stay at this level once they achieve it.                        

Midshipite = most common rank, where specialization in only one profession occurs. The majority are quite content to stay at this level, not interested in leading or teaching. However, the few that show interest and proficiency in more than one task or profession will be the ones promoted to the next level.

Yoeite = a Cadet ascends quickly to this level, earning an occupation title, becoming a productive worker and a full member of a ship’s crew.

Cadet = new inductee into the Fleet. Learns hands-on the work and professions he or she chooses. Works as a student under an older crewmember, learning the idiosyncracies of the ship, job, and crew mates. Most earn their way to the next level quickly.

Grounded Cadets, Yoeites, Midshipites, Subcommanders & Commanders = these individuals are either between jobs, or permanently grounded from injury, illness, or incompetence. Shipboard individuals of the same level are ranked higher in the hierarchy, and grounded Fleet members must defer to their spacefaring superiors. Rare exceptions might be Ship Commanders who give up command voluntarily because of Clan troubles, or other such problems. These retain the respect of their peers, and often gain another command with ease.

Our final update for this chapter is about the Furlitian government.

quote:

ARORIELLIAN LAW & GOVERNMENT     

The Government on Aroriel consists of the eighteen state Governors and the Fleet Commander, which together comprise the Aroriellian Council. The Council’s job is to oversee and discuss proposed Laws before they are either voted on by the Council or put to a public referendum. Each Governor’s task is to bring his or her state’s opinion and vote to the table. If too much haggling goes on, or the vote is too close, it goes to referendum. If the populace is unhappy with a Law, it may go under appeal and be voted off the books by a referendum.     

Justice and taking care of law-breakers is done by local Law Officers, whose job it is to capture, then bring the offender home in disgrace to his or her Clan. Proof of the crime and all paperwork must be provided by the arresting officer. The Clans of victum and/or perpetrator then must mete out appropriate punishment. This is recorded into public record by town or city clerks.  For lesser crimes, like vehicle violations, the Clan punishes the offender as they see fit. In more serious crimes, like burglary or driving while intoxicated, isolating the perpetrator in wilderness with no help from society for a period of time is sufficient. Greater crimes force Clans to drop the offender at an island “prison” where the perpetrator must live with others like him, and survive by his wits. He must find his own food and shelter until his time is paid. Society provides only patrol shuttleboats to prevent escape by swimming, but no other service is rendered. The most heinous crime of murder is rare. An ancient law, known as the Termination Tradition, demands that the Clan of the perpetrator perform the death penalty on that individual; thus, over time, people with the inclination toward such behavior were eventually culled out of the populace.     

Individual responsibility is highly favored. Clans can, and are expected to, take the law into their own talons when necessary. Clans are expected to take care of their own members. There are no laws restricting firearms, or any other products of society, and individuals are expected to be responsible and logical in using them. Below is a copy of the Aroriellian Charter, drawn up after the civil war which provided the hard-won freedom that the Cinth of Independence holiday celebrates.

quote:

THE ARORIELLIAN CHARTER

We, all the Furlites of the planet Aroriel, hereby agree that every individual possesses the rights to freedom, happiness, and knowledge. These rights shall NEVER be infringed by any government, king, dictator, or other group determined to curtail rights in the pretense of protecting society. We shall live by the virtues of logic and justice, and we shall accept no other controlling creed or doctrine.

Below are the simple Laws all Clans and individuals shall follow from this day forth.

1. Individuals shall live free, in a world ruled by logic, reason, and a free trade system. It is the individual’s responsibility to earn a place in society to the best of one’s ability.

2. Individuals have the right to voice their opinions, ideas, and thoughts, without threat of retaliation. However, no communications medium shall report false or biased information as fact.

3. Clans and Individuals shall stand or fall, live or die, succeed or fail, by their own judgment and decisions.

4. Personal freedom being the most fundamental right of a free people, the right to defend one’s self, Clan, and property from those who would alter or destroy shall not be limited; therefore, the right to own, carry, and utilize weapons shall be encouraged and not be infringed.

5. The Government shall never consist of more than one representative per State, and these volunteer elected Governors will comprise The Aroriellian Council which will carry out the administrative and judicial desires of the citizens they represent.

6. Education shall not be thwarted or infringed. Facts and knowledge shall be available to all. No revision of facts shall be created and used to suit any individual, Clan, or group. Learning the information available is the responsibility of the individual.

7. No individual shall be treated unjustly for any differences, whether ideological, physical, or mental.

8. Any individual who refuses to live by these simple values, and persists in violating the rights and freedoms of others, forfeits societal participation, and must abide by the punishment meted out by the victim’s Clan.  
So it is agreed, by all the citizens of Aroriel, that we shall forever uphold liberty, reason, productivity, the pursuit of knowledge, and justice, above all else.

As far as I can see, there's little to no real violation of these libertarian-lite principles that we've encountered in the book despite the Furlites being so violent that even children need to restrain themselves from killing each other on the playground (with only the threat of immediate execution seeming to work). It almost comes off as them having developed a perfect government free of any complaints beyond occasional crime.

Plus, you know, tearing each other's stomachs open in bar fights.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

As far as I can see, there's little to no real violation of these libertarian-lite principles that we've encountered in the book despite the Furlites being so violent that even children need to restrain themselves from killing each other on the playground (with only the threat of immediate execution seeming to work). It almost comes off as them having developed a perfect government free of any complaints beyond occasional crime.

Plus, you know, tearing each other's stomachs open in bar fights.

That eugenic "weed out the murderers" thing didn't work very well, did it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SerialKilldeer posted:

That eugenic "weed out the murderers" thing didn't work very well, did it?

I mean, we haven't seen anyone actually kill each other. Playground scuffles between preteens just involve massive gashes and it's considered a mark of incredible self-control to punch your opponent instead of gutting them.

• Locked thread