Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

For poo poo like that, it would be way more tolerable if the third-person narration used actual, normal units. Imperial or metric, I don't care, but when you're supposed to be able to picture this in your head, sticking with the familiar is better. Go apeshit in your dialogue, that's fine, but unless your omniscient narrator is a character in the book, or there's some kind of well-executed gimmick, it's so much smoother and less ridiculous sounding to write what your readers know.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's why I was saying I don't have a problem with people going while hog with it in dialogue, but when you're trying to vividly describe something, sticking to a bunch of made up gibberish is like trying to run a marathon on crutches/play shartball with your octapants on

This right here is why I hope I can stick it out for the rest of this Let's Read. Between all the made-up creatures, bizarre alternate units of measurement and ridiculous chracter names, I'm finding the my eyes just sort of glaze over the text excerpts.

This is not to say that I don't enjoy SF/F. I do, when it's well-written. This... this is not well-written. There's more to world-building than just giving idiotic names to mundane things. She's so in love with creating her own language that she's made everything needlessly complicated.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

This line hasn't gotten enough love. I want it framed on my wall.

Knock yourself out.

• Locked thread