Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Please tell me one of these books explains what the hell shartball is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samizdata posted:

No, not really. She really seems to be making an effort to worldbuild and establish a coherent, consistent universe.

(Assuming the aliens have 4 digits on each "hand", right?)

For poo poo like that, it would be way more tolerable if the third-person narration used actual, normal units. Imperial or metric, I don't care, but when you're supposed to be able to picture this in your head, sticking with the familiar is better. Go apeshit in your dialogue, that's fine, but unless your omniscient narrator is a character in the book, or there's some kind of well-executed gimmick, it's so much smoother and less ridiculous sounding to write what your readers know.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It was probably a deliberate attempt to preemptively cut off the inevitable "oh so the aliens from another planet just happen to call their measurements feet/meters/whatever too" :jerkbag:ery that always follows attempts at sci-fi. Damned if she did and damned if she didn't.

That's why I was saying I don't have a problem with people going while hog with it in dialogue, but when you're trying to vividly describe something, sticking to a bunch of made up gibberish is like trying to run a marathon on crutches/play shartball with your octapants on

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ibblebibble posted:

I've noticed that the author doesn't actually know what base 8 is. In her example a couple of updates back, she doesn't replace 16 with 20 as you'd expect. Instead she replaces 18 with 20.

:psyduck:

Well, yeah. It's got an 8 in it. Can't you read?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I was just being sarcastic ugh the author's understanding of the math system she based half the words in the book around, you had it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pesky Splinter posted:

It is it ever explained why none of the hideous things ever use contractions?

God I hate when authors do that, it's always more off-putting than giving a unique voice to things. The only book I haven't minded it in has been the Longmire mysteries, and that's because it's one character, commented on as being odd, and it actually makes his dialogue feel different because it contrasts with everyone else. They kept it for the TV adaptation and it works the same way there.

• Locked thread