Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm gonna be straight with you guys, this might be a mistake.

The Furlites of Aroriel series (beginning with On Matissia Wings is one of the most bizarre things I've ever read, sci-fi as filtered through a drunken James Joyce. I'll let the synopsis of the first book speak for itself:

quote:

On the cold distant world Aroriel -- where primate species never developed -- evolution spawned a furry saurian race that now reaches for the stars. Commander Geupetus of Clan Darius, offered command of the first near-lightspeed starship, hesitates to take the job, as Furlitian Law forbids his pre-adolescent twins Murkuria and Thorius from accompanying their Clan on this historic mission into interstellar space. Clan Darius, after careful deliberation as a family, driven by their sense of responsibility, discipline, and duty, decide they must squelch their emotions and accept the commission - leaving the twins on Aroriel. But the paradox caused by the Clan's traveling near the speed of light means that IF the twins ever see their family again, they will be older than their parents! Distraught, Thorius conceives an outrageous plan to stow aboard the great starship, and Murkuria agrees after a rare nightmare tells her they must do this. He and Murkuria borrow a family shuttle, and whiz off, determined to reach the Space Center before dawn launch. With the help of Iggie, Murkuria's pet Matissia, they sneak aboard the starship, inadvertently causing the Sunpyne to crash land on an alien world, where dinosaurian life like their own is long extinct, and strange primate beings that call themselves Human populate the planet. Following a violent first confrontation with two natives, they race to repair the ship. A second meeting, with a family camping out in the wilderness around the ship, results in friendship, and information exchange. However, after their Human friends leave to return to a distant home, the Human military locates the downed starship, just after the crew completes full repairs. Geupetus powers up the ship, but suddenly realizes his twins and one Cadet are not aboard. With enemy warcraft peppering the area with arms fire, and unable to lower shields to recover his children and crewmate, Geupetus refuses to leave without them. Will the furlites ever see their beloved home again?

Some sexual content

Wow, I don't even know why we need to read half the book when it's all covered on the b--

quote:

Some sexual content

.....oh.

Well, let's see what the author might be able to tell us about her mindset in her autobiography?

quote:

Marie J. Spinella-Phillips Born in 1957, in Huntington, on Long Island, I've been driven by an insatiable love of writing, art, and the sciences since very early childhood. My love of animal tales fueled my desire to write, always manifesting in stories from the non-human point of view. I invented my very first character at six years old, creating picture books with a tree as the main protagonist. I included, on the inside covers, my very own publishing logo, complete with rainbow and shining sun! In my senior year of High School, one of my teachers, Mr. O'Connor, lent me a copy of The Fellowship of the Ring, which changed my reading and writing life forever, driving me into the unique and futuristic world of Fantasy/Science Fiction. In college, I majored in Art and Earth Sciences, where inspiration fired my vivid and eccentric imagination, planting the seeds for my Furlites of Aroriel novels, Over the years, I honed the complex world of this alien family saga. My husband's love and support over the decades proved invaluable, since his scientific knowledge and expertise quickly surpassed my own, once we graduated high school, went off to college, and entered the working world. With his help, and that of my mentor, David Ayscue, who passed away in 2010, I completed the first two of these books, On Matissia Wings, and, Earth-bred Matissia-born,which are now available. Other tales are in the works! I dabbled with another tale many years ago, using my Khan as a character, when my big Maine Coon became seriously ill. While battling Khan's insidious disease, I completed the story, which took on deeper impact far beyond my intended feline fantasy yarn. KHAN: A Maine Coon is the result, a biography of his life, with fictional elements, written from his point of view. Owned by three cats, two of which are Maine Coon cats, I live with my husband in the rolling hills of northwestern Connecticut.

Ah. A crazy cat lady writing about Maine Coon aliens loving each other on their way to Earth. Beautiful.

I don't think I need to explain more. Let's get started.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Since these chapters run as much as 50 pages, I'm likely going to divide them in half rather than try to fit a whole chapter per update.

The book begins with a map, hence the "illustrated" on the front cover. Since it's sideways in the book, I took the liberty of turning it for you.

quote:

“Get off of her, you fat vachok!” Murkuria shouted, her entire red-gold coat bristling with anger. The object of her wrath lifted his head, his pale, white-blue eyes gleaming his scorn.

“Make me, gold-eyed freak!” he sneered, settling his rotund body on top of Tria’s tail. He snatched Tria’s electronic notebook from her grasp. With a shout of derision, he smashed the notebook to the snow. The girl sobbed as the cover of the device cracked on a hidden stone. The bully glanced back at the distraught little girl.

“Shut up, little moron,” he drawled, then returned his gaze to Murkuria. “Leave us alone, freak. This is not your business.”

“Kutius . . . ” Murkuria warned, her body trembling, her hands flexing with rage. Her thickly-muscled thighs quivered, and her toe-talons gouged deep into the packed snow. Her tail whipped the air. She wanted to rip that self-satisfied smirk from her classmate’s pudgy face. “Worthless vachok! Get off of her NOW!”

“Make me!” Kutius laughed his disdain. “Make me, you lover of dolts!”

Kutius bounced on the smaller girl’s tail. Tria wailed in pain and terror. Murkuria surged forward, her face mere octas[1] from his, her entire body shaking with wrath.

You see that little [1] right there? This book actually comes with footnotes! Because Marie Spinella-Phillips wanted to create a truly immersive alien world, she also created her own vocabulary to go along with it. To keep anyone from being too confused (and boy howdy you're going to remain confused for a long time after reading this), she put in definitions for everything. Conveniently, almost every unit she describes is approximately identical to an Earth unit so it's just a weird name for real units.

quote:

[1]  Octa is approximately half an inch or one centimeter in length.

Kutius slashes Murkuria, tearing a gash in her furry chest.

quote:

“Vachok!” She shrieked the vile oath. “I’ll rip your face off!”

“I will,” Kutius drawled his correction of her speech. “Big baby freak who cannot talk right.”

With an inarticulate roar, Murkuria launched her one-hundred-eight-octlo[2] athletic saurian body at the pudgy bully, slamming into him, bowling him over into the snow, octafets[3] from Tria. She pounced again, landing squarely on his flabby stomach, as he wiggled helplessly on his back. His legs flailed wildly, flexing at knees, hocks, and ankles, but his toe-talons did not touch her.

“You forgot the last time you provoked me to wrestle, you vachok!” Murkuria shouted, her hands raking into his matted fur, which flew in clumps to settle on the snow. “Greasy slop-rear end! Do you ever bathe? Moron! And you dare mock Tria for her disability? Dokit turd!!”

quote:

[2]  Octlo is approximately 2.2 pounds or a kilo

quote:

[3]  Octafet is approximately three feet or a meter

These might be some of my favorite new insults. Also please note how the book and its synopsis (preteen aliens stow away on their dad's spaceship with their wacky pet and meet humans) seems like a novel for kids, and it's even included on the Family Saga list on Amazon, the text is full of profanity and violence from the second page and later devolves into horrifyingly gratuitous sex scenes.

Murkuria restrains herself from tearing his throat out and instead just punches him in the face over and over. The rest of the schoolyard begins chanting her name in praise for her incredible display of violence! Suddenly, a hand clamps down on her shoulder and the cheering abruptly stops.

quote:

“Murkuria, of Clan Darius.” The commanding tone doused the rest of her ire. “Please, stand up.”

Murkuria scrambled to her feet in a spray of snow. She faced the Disciplinary Officer, her remaining anger draining away through her feet. Kutius blubbered like an infant, rocking in the snow as he struggled to sit up.

“S-S-Sir, pl-please,” Murkuria stammered. “He s-s-started it.”

“Did not did not!” Kutius howled protest, weeping. “S-S-She beat me up for no reason! She attacked mm-mm-meeeee!”

“No reason, my butt, Kutius,” Murkuria snapped at him, her anger flaring momentarily before she gained control. “He was picking on Tria again! He even slashed me when I told him to get off her. Look!” Murkuria pointed at her gashed chest, where blood dripped from her white hair, spreading into the red-gold color below.

“Yes, please, Sir.” Tria stepped boldly up to Murkuria’s side, her long white fur disheveled. Blood trickled in a line from a slash on her left hock, down her lower leg, staining her ankle and heel red, matting the white fur. She held out her damaged notebook. “Look what he did. He hurt me, too.” Tria’s voice trembled in a sob. “It is broken. What will I do?”

“My grandfather will look at it, Tria,” Murkuria said softly. “Do not worry about it.”

“I see, Tria.” The Officer smiled, his sharp violet eyes crinkling. He flicked his thick tail, returning his stern gaze to Murkuria. His gold-furred face frowned, as he eyed Kutius with disdain.

The Officer declares that Murkuria acted rightfully in defense of another and herself, and hauls Kutius to his feet to announce that he's being "suspended for good" (most of us would call that expelled); he doesn't really give a poo poo since he hates school anyway. The girls are sent off to the infirmary without punishment, though their parents will need to be informed and Murkuria is worried about how her father will react.

Some of the other kids, Getria and Selarus, compliment Murkuria for thrashing the bully so badly. Tria sings as she runs, and Murkuria compliments her voice.

quote:

“Do you think it will be a long time before they tell your parents?” Tria asked.

“I hope so. I wish to tell my parents rather than the school telling them. At least Thorius will understand and approve.”

“He should, being your twin brother,” Tria said, as they hurried into the Infirmary.

“Oh, no! We have Shartball practice this afternoon, and will be home late.”

Shartball cometh, baby. Shartball loving cometh.

Meanwhile, dad is having some issues.

quote:

“Blast it all!” Ship Commander Geupetus curled his lips back, his temper at full throttle. “My twins are not foolish little idiots! They are spacefarers, born and bred to this work, like most of our Clan!”

“I am sure both are quite intelligent.” Siritus glared back, jaw set, his silver chin fur bristling.

“Then why? Why refuse me?” Geupetus bared his eyeteeth again. “Just because of some foolish law that needs changing? Why bow to the Council? What could that blasted Council do to you anyway? You are the Senior member. Vutz it all, I deserve a few favors.”

“I am sorry, Commander,” the Fleet Commander answered, his dark blue eyes flashing.

“Sorry? Is that all you can say?” Geupetus banged on the desk, balling his hand into a fist at the last second to avoid gouging the polished wood. The computer monitor flickered. “That is not good enough!”

“If you were anyone else,” Siritus growled in a deep baritone, “I would have you dragged out of here in chains.”

Geupetus spun away from the desk, his thick tail lashing in fury and frustration. He halted in front of the wide window, quelling the strong desire to tap his talons on the glass. His hands flexed. He stared into the deepening dusk, watching the snow fall. His saurian body shivered from head to tail-tip. With difficulty, he capped his temper, then drew a long breath.

I'm imagining that Geupetus is pronounced "Jupitus", because pretty much anything else would be absolutely ridiculous.

Siritus insists that there's no way to get around the law: his children can't come on the mission and they won't start the Space Flight Educational Program in school for another two years. There's a mention that they won't emotionally understand the ramifications of the 25-year mission, which you can read the synopsis in the OP to see what they're talking about : relativity means the kids will be older than their parents by the time they return from a near-lightspeed interstellar journey.

Geupetus hasn't yet accepted the commission and can't be forced to, but Siritus insists that he's his first choice. With their conversation going nowhere, Geupetus promises to have an answer tomorrow and leaves Siritus to ponder:

quote:

The ancient Furlite stood up to stare out the window. He focused his attention on the herd of russet-striped white herbivorous Sorsas just outside the Complex fence. The lead male lifted his magnificently-horned head to gaze warily over the darkening prairie. Strong wind blew his thick mane straight out. As Siritus gazed at the animal in admiration, his own muscles relaxed. Light from the Complex lamps sparkled the twin horns sweeping from the creature’s brow, and the smaller horn jutting from the Sorsa’s nose glittered with a coating of snow. The stallion pawed snow away from the fence, revealing dried grass. A couple of slender-horned females jostled him aside to feed on the thick grasses. The stallion glanced over the prairie again before snatching a quick bite for himself. Siritus sighed again, intrigued by one of Aroriel’s few quadrupedal creatures, but watching did not decrease his concerns.  

Anxiety pulsed through his body, turning his stomach. Since he conceived this project over six years ago, he planned only one Clan for the job, and only one Ship Commander to sit in that Command Seat. Who better to crew the new ship than the people who designed the ship from its conception? If Geupetus refused, his father Orios, a genius of an Engineer, and his mother Isea, a top-notch Planetary Scientist, might decline as well. The final decision fell to Subcommander Nethunia, Geupetus’ spouse, a first-class Medical Psychologist, and a fine Biologist.

Siritus spun away from the window, his talons clicking loudly on the polished floor as he paced. Six years ago, that entire family grounded itself. Why? Because their daughter Elara experienced some emotional trauma that healed years ago. At the top of her class in the SFEP, the young girl stood poised to start her career in the Fleet. Only concern for his young twins now blocked Geupetus’ desire to return to active duty.

“Blast it, Nethunia,” he muttered to empty air. “What terrible timing! You spaced your children just right to cause us problems. If the twins were only two years older, and in the dratted program, I could easily have arranged to get them aboard.” Siritus paced faster, lashing his tail, leaving a shower of silver hair in his wake. A voice halted his pacing.

“Fleet Commander Siritus!” The good-humored voice mock-scolded. “What under the blasted triple moons has bitten your tail?”

“Hello, Commander,” he answered, recognizing the voice of Geupetus’ Aunt Suria. He faced her, watching the inner mirth that always lit up her violet eyes. “What brings you here? I thought you were still on leave?”

Suria checked up on her ship, and is deeply disturbed by something: Siritus asked his her to take Kintus as her Ship Second, when tradition dictates that Ship Commanders pick their own Second. Siritus apologizes and explains that he did it as a favor for a Council member, and admits that Kintus is so incompetent that Siritus would only trust him with an old sled.

quote:

“And even that is too good for him,” Suria growled, her eyes dark with anger. “Thinking he could race my vessel of science through those blasted rings and twenty moons of Rotachi against a streamlined freighter ship? My Sauri is NOT built for high-speed maneuvering. Why did Commander Dugis agree to it? He should have known not to do this.”

“Ah, but be grateful for the wisdom of your Helmsman, Subcommander Osus. He knew how to handle what occurred. He and Dugis brewed that plan in order to ground Kintus for good.” Siritus twitched his tail. “I should not have let Eseraria talk me into promoting her son to your ship.”  

“Yes, you should have thought of that at the time. The Sauri blew an engine!” Suria glowered. “Kintus is a fool! But Osus should have known better.” Suria spat out the words in fury. She loved her ship. Commanded by members of her family, Clan Darius, for over an octury[4] and a half, the Sauri now belonged to the Clan outright.

quote:

[4]  An octury is 64 Aroriellian years = 108.8 Earth years.

Quite convenient that an Aroriellian year is 1.7 Earth years, so their equivalent of a century is only 108.8 Earth years as well!

There's some more conversation which is really hard for me to parse, as they keep dropping unusual names and relations we've never heard of before in big paragraphs. Long story short, Siritus apologizes and lets Suria pick any new Ship Second she wants. She notices that Siritus seems annoyed by something, and he explains to her his hesitance to take command of the Sunpyne.

Suria tries to suggest letting Geupetus' twins aboard the ship, and Siritus continues to find the idea absurd and dangerous despite both of them being geniuses (Murkuria is even taking university-level genetics courses). Even if he wanted to let them on, the law is the law and the law says they can't.

quote:

“I know that.” Suria lashed her tail. “You can only wait, and hope he agrees. If not, it is not the end of the program.”  

“You are right. I am a silly old Furlite.” Siritus stopped his pacing. “Have you eaten dinner?”  

“No, but it awaits me at home. However,” she said, wishing to extend their conversation, “perhaps a snack and a hot mug of ruscol would do. The drive home is long.”  

“It will be longer tonight.” Siritus glanced out the window. “The storm is intensifying.”

“That does not worry me. My shuttle handles the storms quite well.” Suria smiled. “And rural driving is far easier than maneuvering in the city, with its multilevel traffic lanes and fool drivers.”  

“Always the optimist. Come, let us get some of Orios’ Guanis steak sandwiches. If my Clan members accept those positions, we will not see my bondbrother’s delectable concoctions in the Mess Hall any longer.”

“Then let us enjoy them while we can,” Siritus urged, as the two left the office.

....is it bad that I find this better written than Handbook for Mortals?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samizdata posted:

No, not really. She really seems to be making an effort to worldbuild and establish a coherent, consistent universe.

(Assuming the aliens have 4 digits on each "hand", right?)

Like the dialogue is somehow more believable and the characters and their conflicts more realistic.

Which should really underscore how bad of a writer Lani Sarem is if this crazy poo poo is a better book.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SerialKilldeer posted:

Wait, if these Maine Coone T. rex chybutt-sack-bearing things use the octal system, how do their measurement units map perfectly onto the decimal based metric system?

Because it's hard to actually do math to figure out how real alien units would match up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Geupetus strode down the corridor into the lobby, fuming with frustration, barely controlling the desire to lash his thick tail again. If he accepted this job, and, oh, did he want to, the twins would have to stay behind. Anger still burned through his body over Siritus’ refusal. 

“Greetings, Commander!” A cheerful voice interrupted his brooding.

“Greetings to you, Yoeite Selliara.” Geupetus inclined his head as the young Furlite hurried past him. He took a deep breath as he left the building and headed out into the snow-shrouded evening. As his feet sank into the twenty-plus octas of new snow, he thought of the choices ahead. If he refused, berating himself over a lifetime for giving up the Command of the Octennium[5] loomed ahead as a possible future. Yet, if he accepted, his regret over leaving behind his twins might interfere with his job. Discontent twisted his stomach into undulating knots no matter which way he chose.

quote:

[5]  An octennium is 512 Aroriellian years, written 1000 in their base eight. Close time-wise to an Earth millennium.

This is a really clunky way of describing how long an octennium is. Doing the math with one Aroriellian year at 1.7 years, an octennium is 870.4 years on Earth. Also, I can't wrap my head around the idea of them writing 512 as "1000" just because they use a base eight math system.

Geupetus angrily gets into his flying car, which uses fingerprint recognition (I guess their hands aren't that furry) and has a gap in the seat back for his tail. As he approaches the gates of the University of Cosmic Sciences, a green laser scans him and his car; he gives his name and rank to a speaker, and the gate opens.

quote:

Geupetus turned his craft onto the main thoroughfare, settling in for the long drive home. Accelerating the vehicle, he engaged the air power, and the commuter shuttle rose from the snow, joining the two-layer traffic lanes heading out of the city of Astrolis which lay just northeast of the Complex. He rose into the second level and accelerated, whizzing by the slower traffic beneath him. As the prairie opened up, the lanes diverged in various directions. Traffic cleared, and he dropped to ground level. He sped across the open grasslands, alone on the snowy highway. He took a moment to activate the vidphone, letting his twins know he just left work. He scowled at a winking inbox message light, before returning his attention to the road. He disliked talking while driving, so the message could wait.  

In a mere quat,[6] the prairie merged into forest. Geupetus gave his frustration and disappointment freedom, accelerating the craft over the ancient bridge spanning the sluggish Burstal River. Geupetus permitted the vehicle to stay airborne as it sped along the road. The forest thickened as he traversed deeper into rural Burstal.  

A new Starship awaited its first commander, ready for new traditions to be born. In Geupetus’ mind, the ship called to Clan Darius to own and care for her, far into the future. His anger returned in a rush. Blast, he thought, the twins should be part of this! A tingle of warning interrupted his thoughts. He focused his attention on the road ahead. Mere octafets ahead, a wall of white rippled beyond the thinning trees.

“Chafk!” The oath burst from his lips as his shuttle broke from the trees onto the broad expanse of flat land which flanked the swift and dangerous Floodland River. The wind howled around the hatches, snatching up the commuter craft like a helpless scrap of paper. Geupetus raced his fingers over the controls, pulling the air power lever down repeatedly.  

“Vutz this thing!” he swore, as his vehicle spun wildly in the wind. Clinging to the steering bar with one hand, he jiggled and worked the handle with the swift instincts of an experienced spacefarer. He barely gave conscious thought to his manipulation of the lever. It obeyed, sliding down until the green digits read 00.0000. The craft dropped to the snow, jarring Geupetus’ muscular body. He grunted as the shuttle rocked to and fro like a small boat for many seconds.

quote:

[6] Quat is 1/4th of an Aroriellian hour (octien), and is equivilant to 1.05 earth hours.

Once again, how convenient that every single unit almost perfectly matches an Earth unit! I'm still confused as to exactly what occurred here. It seems like the weather on Aroriel is so harsh that within a few feet you can end up crossing from clear skies to a massive blizzard that knocks your flying car out of the sky.

Geupetus puts his shuttle back into gear and heads across an old bridge over an icy river. Suddenly, a pack of bipedal creatures appear in his headlights.

quote:

“Monii.” He slowed his vehicle, and the animals converged on it. Not much taller than a Furlite toddler, the creatures barely reached the hatch windows. The Monni leaped against the vehicle, peering in with intelligent eyes which looked down blunt muzzles. Their hand claws scrabbled on the hatches. Geupetus sighed. “Not tonight, silly creatures. No time for games.”

The Monii, carnivorous pack animals related to Furlitekind, though wild and free, chose to interact with their cousin species at every opportunity. The creatures enjoyed the dangerous game of playing chase and tag with shuttlecraft. Drivers took it in stride, tolerating the games, as most Furlites respected their related species. Monii readily adapted to captivity, thus injured or orphaned Monii often became cherished pets. Such an orphan joined the Darius household octades ago, becoming a beloved companion. The rest of Geupetus’ anger died under melancholy emotions. He blinked his eyes, forcing the memories back into the deep recesses of his mind, then brought his full attention to his driving. The Monii bounced around and on his vehicle. He picked up speed carefully, gently nosing aside the playful animals, not wishing to hurt any of them.

“Chafk, you silly beasts, give up,” Geupetus grumbled. “I do not need one of you at home. Iggie would go ballistic. Great black holes! Go away.”

Finally, the shuttle broke out of the pack, and Geupetus hit the accelerator. He left the puzzled animals in his snowy wake. He drove deeper into the thickening forest. Red Sepur trees dominated the woodlands, and the needles of those magnificent trees sparkled deep red in his headlamps. Their thick rust-colored trunks lined the roadside. Ahead, the road forked, and he took the narrower trail, where the snow lay deep and loose. His craft slashed a furrow through the drifts. He maneuvered through the center of his home town, and gazed with pride at the familiar buildings. With its ancient town hall and small old structures, Gabbruss appeared a relic of octuries[7] past, but inside each, technology reached out to connect the tiny rural town with the rest of the planet.

quote:

7]  Octury, an Aroriellian century, comprised of 64 years or 8 octades which are 8 years each = 108.8 E.years

So the first thing you'll notice is that Marie is clearly not using an editor because she misspells "Monii" immediately after introducing them.

Second, you may be thinking to yourself "Wait, we already had octuries explained!". And you'd be absolutely right! Footnotes are sometimes included more than once, as if she thought nobody would be able to understand her complicated world enough to actually remember any of her renamed units of measurement.

Geupetus drives past the Fundamental School his twins attend, noticing the Shartball field shrouded in shadows. He drives around the road looking for his kids and hoping they didn't take a shortcut through the forest that would cause them to miss their ride, but he spots them walking down the road and pulls up alongside them.

quote:

Murkuria met Thorius at the edge of the Shartball field.

“Great practice.” Thorius’ lavender eyes gleamed delight. “I never saw you tackle so rough, or block so savagely. It was great!”

“I hope I did not hurt poor Horasis,” Murkuria smiled weakly.

“Krufk, you hit him really hard. Forced five interceptions, and your blocking gave Selarus all the time in the world to throw. He tossed for seven goals! Hope we can play like that in the State Championships,” Thorius guffawed, and walked toward the forest path, glancing up the road. He peeked at his timepiece, which read 08:04. “It is eight minutes into the fourth hour.[8]”

“Father said he would be late in a message on my notebook phone. He is a half quat overdue,” Murkuria commented, relief momentarily easing her anxiety. “Let us walk. Father should catch up to us.”

“I got the message, too.” Thorius turned around. “If he is too late, we will beat him home, even going the long way around.”

The twins started down the road as the lights for the field shut down. Both kicked snow with their feet, in a subconscious competition.  

“Do you understand the Mathematics homework?” Murkuria asked, lashing up a cloud of snow with a grunt.  

“Not all of it,” Thorius grunted back, after a poor kick. “But I think Elara can help me with it. Do you get it?”  

“Most of it.” Murkuria kicked, nearly falling backwards. She lashed her thick tail, gouging a wide furrow in the snow as she righted herself. “I think Elara can help both of us, especially if we are confused by the same parts.”

quote:

[8]  Furlitian clocks read minutes first, hour next. See glossary for more detail.

Oh God there's a glossary.

What we've managed to learn about Shartball:

1. It's capitalized.

2. There's tackling.

3. You throw a ball into a goal.

Thorius and Murkuria talk about their Astronomy class assignment and what they want to pick as a topic. Thorius quickly changes the subject to the fight Murkuria had; she reacts with incredible aggression, yelling and snarling and kicking the snow just at the very thought of Kutius. Thorius is proud of her, even after she says she would have literally murdered another child if not for the school Disciplinary Officer. She just hopes her father ignores the shuttlephone call.

More talking about class. Murkuria wants to do a report on winged mammalians (complete with anatomical drawings and paintings) for her free project this year. Thorius wants to do a working scale model of a starship, even though true interstellar spacecraft haven't even been invented yet. Thorius is enough of an engineering genius at 12 that he can make flawless engineering drawings on a computer, though he's useless drawing freehand.

When Murkuria questions his decision to make a scale model of something that doesn't exist, Thorius reveals that he once accidentally slipped one of their grandfather's disks into his computer the other day and it had the full blueprints for a starship. I guess the Aroriellians haven't ever developed passwords, since you'd think an interstellar ship with near-light speed travel would be a highly classified project!

More talking about classwork and Murkuria wanting to join the SFEP, which is interrupted by two more Furlites appearing from the swirling snow.

quote:

Both youngsters recognized their older sister immediately by the dark russet patches that spotted her short white fur. They also recognized her friend, their next-door neighbor Kanus, by his long predominantly-russet fur, and the white spot over his right eye. They waited for the two to catch up.  

“Hello, Elara!” they called in unison. “Hello, Kanus!”

“Hello!” both older children responded.  

“Murkuria,” Kanus smiled, taking Murkuria’s hand. “I want to thank you for defending my sister today against that ch -- bully.”

“I would do it again, gladly.” Murkuria frowned. “You heard about it already?”  

“Yes, I was the one who picked her up from school. Mother could not get away from her work at that moment.”  

“Oh. Is she doing all right?”  

“Yes, she is fine. Before I went back to school, she was playing her wind instrument.”  

“Oh, her vlu.” Murkuria smiled. “She plays it so well, and sings so beautifully, too.”

“Kanus,” Thorius broke in, “if you took Tria home, where is your shuttle?”  

“My brother has it. I told him I could walk home.” Kanus grinned wickedly. “He has an appointment with a pretty female who lives further up Forest Road. He dropped Elara and me at the bottom of Sunip Ridge.”  

“Oh,” Thorius shrugged. “I forget that you share it.”

“He needs it for commuting to the Space Center. I hope they pick me soon for Cadet,” Kanus lamented.

I think the only reason this book breaks 800 pages is because they spend so much time on exposition. Every character should know or remember these things, or at least not react by saying "Oh yes, I forgot this explanation for why this is how it is!" Also, they keep recognizing other Furlites by their fur color and pattern; do they all have the same face? I guess the cover art was incredibly accurate!

There's a mention of how Kanus also got into a big brawl, and his attacker is being punished by banishment for a cinth (which I think is 19 days?) to the Sapphrus Mountains. There's explicit remarks that they can't punish children like Kutius in that way. Murkuria notices that Elara has shown up pretty late compared to when her Preparatory School gets out.

quote:

“Kanus and I went to the Gamehouse after school,” Elara answered. “How was practice?”

“Great! You should have seen Murkuria play defense! She . . . ” Thorius answered, only to have Murkuria cut his answer short.  

“Elara! You went to the Gamehouse?! Where the brawl was? Do Father and Mother know?”  

“Of course they do.” Elara scowled, a stern set to her jawline. “I would not lie. One should never lie. I am old enough. I am over eighteen, remember?”

“Did you drink shistus?” Murkuria pried.  

“Of course not!” Elara laughed. “I am far from twenty-three! What is with the interrogation tonight? Why do you not save that for Father?”

Why do I get the feeling that Marie would be much happier writing something that just takes place on future Earth? So much of this is lifted directly from Earth customs and behavior, just with the names changed and numbers slightly transposed. Somehow despite being furry reptilian creatures with a completely inhuman body, they've advanced almost exactly like Earth has.

Their conversation finally ends as a car pulls up next to them.

quote:

“Father!” Thorius cried, echoed by Murkuria.  

“Hello, Father,” Elara reacted quietly.  

“Hello, Commander,” Kanus nodded respectfully.  

“Hello, children.” Geupetus smiled broadly. “How have you been, Kanus? We have not seen much of you lately.”  

Kanus flashed a worried look at Elara, and Elara gave him a gentle nudge.

“Do not worry,” she whispered in his ear. “He knows nothing of the brawl, but he will see it was not your fault.”

We're currently on page 30. The first chapter doesn't even end until page 50.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's 8 cubed. Just like 1,000 (decimal) is 10 cubed. Put 512 (decimal) into any octal converter and you'll get 1,000 (octal). In octal, 8 is 10, 64 is 100, 512 is 1,000, 4,096 is 10,000, and so on.

Yeah but the text explicitly says that they write it as 1000 because they're base eight. It makes it sound like because it's their equivalent to a millennium, they actually write it in place of 1000, which you would think would make the math required to create an interstellar starship pretty hard.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Semi-related, I'm looking in the back of the book. There is:

1. An appendix of the solar system of Aroriel (including diagrams and pictures of the planet).

2. A national, elevation, and climate map for Aroriel.

3. The layout of the Sunpyne.

4. A diagram of clocks explaining Furlitian time measurement.

5. A full Aroriellian calendar and description of every single unit of measurement.

6. Facts on Furlitian biology and evolution.

7. Foods.

8. Explanations of the physiological and psychological bonds formed between Furlites (the chybut is a third testicle that descends during sex to produce sperm).

9. Direct translations of every single Furlitian insult.

10. A full description of the space fleet, including ranking systems and acronyms.

11. Aroriellian law and government, including the entire Aroriellian Charter.

12. Additional notes on animals and biological statistics of Furlites.

13. Family trees for all clans seen in the book.

14. The footnotes section.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Considering that she misspelled "Monii" in her very second reference to the creatures, I'm not exactly confident that she's going to maintain perfect continuity and figure out all the proper math for the units she created.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pata Pata Pata Pon posted:

Chitoryu, you've got me hooked on your Let's Reads. Also, every time I read the word "shartball" I'm like :roflolmao:

I'm glad I can bring people joy through my suffering!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A human heart posted:

where's the drunken james joyce i was promised

The sex scenes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Maybe now we can finally finish the drat first chapter.

quote:

The four youngsters crammed themselves into the commuter shuttle. Geupetus waited patiently. After they settled noisily onto the small rear cushions, he closed the hatch and resumed driving. He drove barely a octafet when the questions bombarded his ears.

Murkuria and Thorius immediately begin begging their dad to tell them about the starship they're working on at the Complex. Some of the dialogue establishes that the Furlites have already developed sleeper ships:

quote:

“It was launched 225 years ago.[9] What would you expect?” Murkuria commented.

“So it is not truly interstellar with such weak engines, but the new ship, wow, has unbel -- ” Thorius closed his mouth with an audible snap.  

“What are you saying?” Elara spun to face him, brows furrowed with suspicion. “What do you know about this?”

“I just heard the new ship has super-powerful engines,” Thorius answered serenely.  

“I know you know more than that,” Elara retorted. “I can feel it.”  

“Well, children,” Geupetus chuckled, forestalling any argument. “You heard correctly. There is a new ship. I will tell you about it at home.”

quote:

[9]  225 Aroriellian years are equivalent to 382.5 Earth years.

Okay the Furlites can't have developed anything even vaguely resembling "security". You'd imagine an interstellar starship capable of rapid travel across the galaxy would be a massive undertaking subject to at least some kind of classified data restrictions, but the ship commanders just tell their kids about everything going on at work and even bring home completely unsecured disks with all the blueprints!

I mean, maybe that is pretty realistic knowing what I know about how humans handle classified intel....

The conversation in the car is glossed over with basic descriptions of how the conversation goes. Thorius admits to having found the disk with the schematics, and Elara tries to pry the details out of him. Geupetus drives down the tree-lined roads until they reach the family's massive stone house. They park the vehicle inside the home's shuttle hangar, where the rest of the family has already landed.

quote:

Elara hoisted her sagging backsack, then stepped out of the craft. Kanus stepped past her, walking out of the shuttleport.  

“Good night, Elara!” he called back cheerfully, then broke into a run. Elara turned and waved. Her farewell greeting stuck in her throat. The snow swirled across the shuttlepath, and Kanus’ figure appeared to change. His dark russet fur lightened, then lengthened, and Elara swallowed convulsively. He followed the same path that Tes . . . Elara shivered. NO! DO NOT think that name! NO! She closed her eyes, concentrating with all her discipline to shut the painful memories from her mind. She struggled to purge them from her. Why? Why did these memories haunt her again? The last time Kanus left her house, to run to his home next door, the same illusion occurred.  

“Elara?”  

Elara started, and gazed into the concerned amber eyes of her younger sister. She sensed Murkuria’s worry. Thorius stared at his sisters in pure confusion.  

“I am fine.” Elara forced a smile, willing the memories down and away. She concentrated, squashing the depression before it mushroomed. “I will beat you to the door!”  

Elara kicked up a glittering shower of snow, and rocketed from the hangar. Murkuria stood a moment, gazing after her. Something troubled Elara, that much she knew, but what? Thorius suddenly bumped her.

“Come on! She has a head start!”  

Murkuria forgot her worry. With a laugh, she raced after her brother and sister. The three youngsters plowed through the deep snow, ignoring the cleared walkway. Elara skidded up to the door, her toe claws scrabbling on the ice. She deftly opened the door with barely a break in her stride. She stumbled into the foyer, and regained sure footing. The twins hit the ice, and their skid brought out uproarious laughter from both. They slid over the threshold and smashed into Elara. All three tumbled to the wet slate in a big furry heap.  

“Hey!” Elara extricated herself from the tangle of limbs and tails, rubbing her shoulder. The twins scrambled to their feet.  

“Sorry,” they apologized in unison. At that moment, a squealing, squawking ball of white fur darted into the foyer on blurred white wings.

“Iggie!” Murkuria cried, and the feisty furball landed in the crook of Murkuria’s elbow., digging in all four sets of claws for balance. Murkuria stroked the Matissia’s back as Iggie chirped a greeting, furling her strong wings. Her large green eyes glowed as she pricked up her big furry ears. Murkuria smiled.

Now we finally have our Matissia of the title!

Their mother, Nethunia, also appears to greet them. They talk about whether or not they're allowed to play games on the computer console downstairs before dinner, and whether they'll go to the State Shartball championships. Nethunia expresses her disapproval at Elara and Kanus having gone to the Gamehouse after school, even after she promises that they stayed in the Fun Room where the adults aren't allowed to drink.

quote:

“I know you would not cause trouble but . . .”

The door opened, and Nethunia shifted her gaze. Her spouse entered the foyer, shaking the snow from his very long predominantly-white coat. “By the triple moons,” she murmured under her breath, “that man gets so wooly in winter.” The extra hair gave him the illusion of unbelievable size on top of his true huge build. Nethunia walked over to him as Elara sauntered past her into the kitchen.  

“Greetings.” She embraced him. “Glad you are home. Long day, has it not been?”  

“Very long.” He wiped his feet. “I do need to relax, but I have news that concerns all of us.”  

Nethunia frowned, catching his inner turmoil.  

“Nothing is wrong with the ship, is there?”  

“Nothing,” he smiled.

“Are we all ready to eat?” A call from Orios silenced everyone for a few moments. Orios stood, pride in his emerald eyes, his entire silver-white gold-patched body radiating delight. The family moved to the dining table, everyone taking their accustomed places. The tableware glistened in an array of rich intricate colors, belying their sturdy rugged acrylic-glass composition. Iggie circled over the table in excitement, but a sharp hand gesture from Murkuria sent her to her own bowl. She whined a protest, but obeyed promptly, then crooned approval at her bowl’s steaming contents. Orios served his preparations, with Ara helping out. As he and Ara sat down, everyone filled their plates with Guanis steaks, Gurt roots, a few leafy vegetables, and bowls of steaming organ meats. Elara listened to the clanking dishware, and wondered if she should tell of Kanus’ brawl.

This dialogue is such a goddamn chore to get through with the refusal to use contractions.

Elara doesn't get the chance to talk about Kanus because Nethunia already found out, and decides to begin dinner conversation with it. Elara promises her grandmother, Isea, that he didn't start it, but she can't believe such a well-mannered boy would fight like a savage from the Furlites' tribal days. Elara snaps at her over it.

quote:

“I am sorry,” Elara whispered. She tried to stop her trembling. Why had she reacted so? She liked Kanus, but not as bondpartner, nor even as best friend. Somehow, tonight, Kanus’ image jumbled with images of her long-gone best friend, Tes . . . She shook her head violently. NO! She fought the wave of sorrow and grief with tremendous strength of will. She lowered her eyes, ignoring the sudden concern in her mother’s expression, staring at the ornate edge of her aquamarine plate. She studied the play of the light in the glass alloy.

“Uh oh,” she whispered under her breath, “Mother senses something. This will not get me, no.”

“What?” Isea asked, while the rest of the family stared at her.

Elara squashed the last emotion down, and, raising her head, faced her grandmother. “I am sorry. I spoke without thinking.”

Elara starts telling the story of what happened: they were in the Fun Room (which sounds like they were at the playground in a McDonald's) and Kanus challenged her to a match of Star Warrior, but an older drunk Furlite thought he was challenging him to a fight and slashed him with his claws. Kanus maintained his composure and beat the poo poo out of him until some adults stopped the fight.

Murkuria takes the time to admit to her fight at school. Her family is in perfect agreement that she acted appropriately to help Tria, and Geupetus finds it a waste of time that the school called his shuttlephone and the house over such a small matter. They diss on Kutius some more, which is okay because he doesn't have a learning disability like Tria so he's just an rear end in a top hat.

quote:

“What of poor Tria? She is so good-hearted,” Ara asked. “Could something like this hurt her? I mean, will she stay extroverted enough to bond one day?”

“You would think of such a thing,” Nethunia laughed. “She should have no troubles, with her strong family to guide her. Remember, a very difficult birth caused her problems, not genetic influence. She should be fine.”  

“What about Kutius?” Ara frowned. “He will be old enough for sex soon. He does not deserve it.”  

“How disgusting, Aunt Ara!” Murkuria burst out, forgetting her anxieties. She giggled. “Who would want to TOUCH him, let alone do funny things with him! Yeeeuccck!”  

The entire group erupted into raucous laughter. Murkuria grinned, pleased she managed to make her mother laugh heartily.

It's okay Murkuria, I share your sentiment about Furlite sex. Especially when it comes to loving children what is wrong with you Ara.

After more insulting Kutius and his family, Geupetus decides to reveal the big news to his family: they've developed the Sunpyne, a starship that can travel at just under the speed of light, and Geupetus has been offered command. Even more importantly, Fleet Commander Siritus has offered crew positions to the entire Clan Darius. Geupetus hands the entire family envelopes inviting them to their positions on the crew with Cadet ranking....except the twins.

quote:

“Father? What of Thorius and me?”  Geupetus looked at his twins, and all exultation drained from him. The dreaded announcement had arrived. The panic in both faces drilled into his heart, but Geupetus steeled himself against those eyes.

“I was getting to that,” his voice murmured, as soft as Nethunia’s. The table quieted again. “If we take the assignments, you and your brother would have to stay behind, probably with Uncle Cerus and Aunt Eselia, but . . .”  

“We cannot go!? Why, Father?? WHY?!” Thorius interrupted, his voice rising frantically. He looked at Murkuria, but she hid her face in her hands.  

“Son,” Geupetus responded softly, unable to discipline the child for rudeness. “We have not decided yet, but, yes, if we do go, you both must stay behind. It is the law.”  

Thorius knew better than to utter another word of protest. He understood the law. All children of spacefaring people knew it well. He dimly recalled the days when all his family members departed on separate missions. On those rare occasions, the Sauri's flights, which Geupetus commanded, occurred at the same time as Orios’ trips to the main Lunar Base. Back then, Orios supervised the Lunar Base, with Isea as his Science Officer, a situation which left nobody behind to watch Thorius and his sisters. Off to relatives they went, usually staying at Uncle Cerus’, with their cousins Esurus, Elia, and Ceria. Thorius heaved a silent sigh.

“Thorius, it will not be so bad.” Murkuria took his hand. “We will have fun at Elia and Ceria’s, and by time they come back, we will be Cadets,” Murkuria whispered. Thorius raised his head slowly, bravely, and faced Geupetus.  

“I am sorry for my outburst, Father. Murkuria and I will make you proud. When you come back, we will be Cadets, ready to join your crew.”  Geupetus stared at his son a long moment, a sudden lump of emotion rendering him speechless. He took a long slow breath.  

“I am sure you will, son, but . . . ” Geupetus paused. “But this journey will be long. By the time we return, you may be Commander of your own ship.”  

Murkuria gaped. Thorius stared, shock in his lavender eyes.  

“Father,” he whispered. “How long?”

“About twenty-five years.”

And there's the rub. Geupetus thinks of Elara's "stunt" from 6 years ago, when she was the twins' age, but it's not yet revealed to us just what she did.

Thorius is smart enough to also know that with the near-light speed travel, his family will barely age. The twins will be 37 years old while the rest of the family is only slightly older than they are now, leaving them older than some of their current elders. Surprisingly, most of the family seems to demonstrate absolutely no qualms about leaving!

quote:

“I believe we should go.” Orios’ voice startled the twins into silence. “We are spacefarers, after all. It is what we all trained for. It is our obligation, to us, to that new ship.”  

“I agree with my spouse,” Isea spoke up. She glanced at Geupetus. “This ship is meant for you to Command. It is obvious now. You know, too, that is where you are happiest. This is the opportunity of a lifetime. I, for one, do not wish to let it get away. Clan Darius should claim the first Starship as its own. Tradition calls us, as it did to our pioneering Clan ancestors who flew the first orbital ship, the first lunar ship, the first interplanetary ship, and the first Sleeper ship.”  

“Mother is right. I, too, wish to accept.” Ara gazed solemnly at her brother. “I belong up there. Outer space is where an Astronomer can study best.”

drat, that is cold. Not even a moment's hesitation to leave the kids behind until adulthood.

Elara and Nethunia are the only ones who show any kind of reticence, but both of them accept after only a few seconds of thought. Even Elara, who apparently has some deep-seated trauma related to this!

quote:

“Ara, will you please clear the table?” Nethunia asked, and collected the twins, guiding them to the computer console. She dug into Orios’ case, pulling out two disks. Orios nodded approval. As information on the ship filled the screen, both youngsters roused from their depression. Nethunia walked silently back to the dining area as Thorius’ last audible words -- “I told you it was a real one” -- rang in her ears. Loading the washer, Nethunia watched the twins. Both studied the screen with interest, yawning at the same time. Nethunia concentrated on the cleaning at hand, controlling her inner turmoil. Her mind spun with memories of Ara’s excitement, Elara’s joy, Isea’s delight, and Orios’ jubilation, but the exultant glitter in Geupetus’ eyes burned into her psyche. She feared his zest for life might fade forever if she obeyed her instincts, and forced him to give up command for her. She refused to allow that to ever happen. Deep down, Nethunia perceived that the Sunpyne summoned the Clan to fly again. She rejected the worry and the prodding maternal emotion that threatened her Clan’s destiny. She inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly, ready to board that ship and do her job.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of the appendix, I would like to start a new form of mini-update:

The World of the Furlites

In this segment, we take information from the appendix and read over it. As I said, there's a very extensive amount of information in this book. Quite a lot of it is mentioned in passing (sometimes without context) in the actual text, and in some cases you wouldn't really demand context but Marie decided to tell us everything anyway. Perhaps this should shed some light on Aroriel and Furlitian society.

Especially the chapter on reproduction.

quote:

SOLAR SYSTEM FACTS  

Roch: F-type white star, Aroriel’s sun.

Cinsas: the largest of Aroriel’s three moons.

Kamus: the second of Aroriel’s moons.

Tantis: the third and smallest of Aroriel’s moons.

The seven planets in order from their sun.

1. YERTA - small rocky planet, cold core, arid, no life. Same face to sun always. Revolves around Roch in 71 Aroriellian days. No moons.

2. VULTI - small rocky planet, cooling core, thin atmosphere. Spins on axis in 5 Aroriellian days. Revolves around Roch in 178 Aroriellian days. 2 tiny moons.

3. ARELTA - large rocky planet, molten core, dense atmosphere, hot climate, primitive desert life, very little free-flowing water. Spins on axis in 2 Aroriellian days. Revolves around Roch in 248 Aroriellian days. 1 large moon.

4. ARORIEL - largest rocky planet, molten core, cool climate, supports teeming plant and animal life, plenty of free-flowing water and ice. Dominant species: the Furlite, a bipedal sapient race descended from furry, cold-tolerant dinosaurian species that still live on the planet. Aroriel rotates on its axis in 8 Aroriellian hours (33.6 Earth hours). Revolves around Roch in 456 Aroriellian days. 3 moons of various sizes.

5. ROTACHI - huge gas giant, methane-dominated atmosphere, the largest planet in the system. Spins swiftly on its axis in a mere 4 Aroriellian hours. A set of 5 rings circle the colorful green planet. Revolves around Roch in a lengthy 679 Aroriellian years. 20 moons of various sizes.

6. NARTURIK - smaller gas giant, with a set of 7 rings, and orange spots that never move amongst the swirling yellow, brown, and rust clouds. Its day is 10 Aroriellian hours. Revolves around Roch in 945 Aroriellian years. 12 moons.

7. NURATOK - smallest gas giant, shining with bright greens and blues. Its ring system is spectacular, swirling out in distance larger than the radius of the planet. It spins on its axis in 15 cinths, and revolves around Roch in a sluggish 1205 Aroriellian years. No moons.

As usual, all formatting is native to the text itself. The maps are just as unreadable in the Kindle version as they are here.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 26, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I find these sort of Let's Reads fascinating because there's so much background work on a goofy sci-fi story...but to what end? Is this a hard vs. soft sci-fi thing? Or a creator spending waaaaay too much time on tiny details of their universe that don't support the narrative in any way? I feel like this is a prototype to stuff like Malatoria or the guy obsessed with illegal divers.

I think it's an obsession thing. Marie wrote a multi-book series about furry saurian aliens (inspired by her Maine Coons) that have gratuitous sex scenes on multiple occasions, with an extensive appendix detailing the entire alien government, several dozen invented units of time and measurement, and their reproductive habits. You don't do that because you're really into hard sci-fi. You do that because you have a problem.

Also I went back to the original quotes from Curse of Koris that inspired this thread and Kutius is the one in the horrific sex scenes. I guess he really did find someone to do funny things with.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 26, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The_White_Crane posted:

Oh, do tell. Please, I want to know how their legal system works.
Are verdicts decided by ritual Shartball games, perhaps?

I missed this question, but from what I remember it's like a libertarian thing where they have a council that does votes and referendums for major governmental decisions but the Furlites are mostly left to their own devices, with things like nearly unlimited freedom to own weapons. Punishments for severe crimes usually involve isolation in the wilderness for various periods of time (including potentially indefinite detention).

There's also a murder rate of nearly zero because murderers are executed immediately and evolution has thus selected against people genetically predisposed to kill others.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So wait, there's only one bathroom, and it's on the complete opposite end from the command room? What chafk-of-a-chybut vutz designed this thing?

edit: I just remembered you have the glossary of Furlite insults. What did I just call the designer? I'm dying to know.

quote:

OATHS, EPITHETS & OTHER FURLITIAN TERMINOLOGY

Chafk = poo poo.
Chafkhead = shithead.
Chava = vagina.
Chybut = testicle.
Chybutz = testicles.
Krufk = crap.
Lortz = screw (intercourse).
Sif = pee.
Sifz = piss.
Sifzer = pisser.
Vachok = archaic vile oath, meaning sub-Furlitian throwback, once used as a name for   half-breed slaves.
Vutz = gently caress.
Pillisk = a table game resembling Billiards. 

You called him a "poo poo-of-a-ball gently caress."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

A human heart posted earlier about wanting to see the "drunken James Joyce" mentioned in the OP, so I'm pretty sure the complaint isn't that the thread is making fun of a book but that it's doing a poor job. That may be a fair point - I'll admit that I've followed better mock threads - but it's not one that I can entirely agree with, if only because of the post right above yours.

And yes, this book is vanity-published, as are the others in Marie J. S. Phillips's oeuvre.

I'm waiting to get to the sex scenes. Apparently the spin-off book with Kutius gets to it a lot faster and has like, three of them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Murkuria nibbled at the delicious frozen snack in her hand, careful not to drip any on the cushion. Tonight, her favorite treat did not taste the same. Around her, lounging in the Common Room, her family talked, with intermittent attention to the sports program on the big screen. The past seven days had flown by like frightened Matissias. The dreaded day arrived tomorrow. When the Starship, its crew, and their mission made the news days ago, she relished the attention. Congratulations and questions engulfed their octiens[10] at school. To add to that, Kutius’ absence satisfied her sense of justice, though she doubted the bully’s mother’s claim that she belonged to the notorious extinct Clan Koris. All the attention, and Kutius’ expulsion, filled her with joy, but now it meant nothing. The ones she loved most departed tomorrow, leaving forever in her mind.

Thorius sat beside his sister, popping the last of his snack into his mouth. It tasted bland, lacking its normal savory flavor. He desired no more. He, like Murkuria, enjoyed the publicity and the awed reaction of their schoolmates the past six days, but now he sat, depressed.

quote:

[10]  An Octien is one Aroriellian hour comprised of four quats = 4.2 Earth hours.

The kids now find the attention for their clan's fame meaningless if they can't go on the trip. Also I want to point out that the ice cream is called "freezeball", possibly a predecessor to the shartball.

Across the room, Nethunia is trying to calm down Geupetus. She reminisces on how they first met:

quote:

Her first day of Fundamental School seared up from deep in memory. At eight years old, the world sparkled new and exciting to her eyes, if not a bit scary. On the playground, she accidentally bumped hard into him. She vividly recalled her terror as this huge boy spun around, a wrestling challenge in his throat. She locked eyes with him, losing herself in that sea of purple. He lowered his hands and beamed a smile at her. She discovered they lived within easy walking distance of each other, to the dismay of her family. She lingered on the old memories a moment, as emotions rippled through her, forcing images into crystal clarity.

Two years previous to her entering school, someone thrashed her older brother, Cerus, in a schoolyard fight, spawning a raging feud between the two Clans. She disliked her brother’s adversary, despite not knowing who almost killed Cerus. Upon bonding, she found out her new bondpartner to be Cerus’ assailant, but her anger lasted only moments. Their friendship blossomed strong and powerful. The new bond doused the smoldering anger between the Clans, and the feud fizzled out.

“Krufk,” Nethunia swore softly, “why am I even thinking about this?”

“What?” Geupetus queried, concern in his eyes.

“Nothing really, just old memories,” she answered, debating whether to lie to him or not.

“Which?”

“The old Clan feud,” Nethunia uttered the truth, and stood up.

“Why?” Alarm lit Geupetus’ purple eyes. He flexed his hands, and his tail twitched.

“I have no idea. Do not be concerned.” Nethunia put aside her musings. She left Geupetus’ side, aware of his sudden confusion and hurt. She regretted mentioning it at all, as she walked over to her twin children.

“Your cousins will be here soon. You should tidy up,” she coaxed softly. Both children obeyed without a word, only the nods of their heads indicating any response. As they left, she returned to Geupetus’ side. His fur bristled, and his regrets fired along her empathic senses.

“Forget I ever mentioned that horrible time, please,” she whispered.

“If your brother died that day because of me, your Clan would have invoked the Termination Tradition, and forced my Clan to eliminate me. To this day, that shames me.”

“He did not die, and it is long over. Forget it.” Nethunia embraced him, radiating reassurances, stroking his back until he stopped trembling.

Furlite society is unbelievably violent. They may claim to have bred murdering genes out of society by executing murderers immediately, but it seems like just about every fight (even between 12-year-olds!) involves people nearly being slashed to death. How do they even get to the point of building starships when accidentally bumping into another mechanic may end in a grudge match on the scaffolding?

Elara, meanwhile, is still angsting about Tes and whether or not he still thinks of her after THE MYSTERIOUS TRAUMATIC INCIDENT OF SIX YEARS AGO. Nethunia interrupts her emo moment and reminds her that guests are arriving soon, so she stops "sun-dreaming" and goes to get snacks. There's a mention as Elara grabs the tray of food from her grandfather that Orios is a former farmer and still grows produce at home for the family.

quote:

“Ah, Bondfather! As usual, these look and smell delicious.” Nethunia took the tray. “Everyone should enjoy this Gathering!”

“My family is coming all the way from Alceru. They are actually leaving the farm overnight. I cannot recall the last time that occurred.”  

“This is a big occasion,” Nethunia chuckled softly. “You are, after all, the first of them in the Fleet.”  

“Yes, I am, but probably not the last,” Orios chuckled.

“Geupetus? Are Veria’s relations coming tonight?” Nethunia called out.

“Not that I am aware of.” Geupetus shook his head, rising from the lounge. “Cousin Osus said Veria is depressed over this. It has been far too long since her Clan has joined any of our Gatherings.”

“Too bad,” Orios murmured. “Veria’s brothers are a lot of fun, and with them on our roster, she will not see them again for twenty-odd years.”

“That is the way of spacefaring Clans. Even though this mission is the longest in our history, we still should all have the discipline to deal with it,” Nethunia admonished, eyeing both Geupetus and Elara. She sensed no more emotional upset in either. “Let us stay cheerful tonight.”

The 12-year-olds are brushing their fur in preparation for the family visit. They remove the clumps of fur from their brushes and drop it in a high pile in a basket.

quote:

“The fur collector was due tomorrow,” he muttered. “What will be made from this load?”

“Probably cushion cloth, or rug fiber, backsack material, or maybe even cot cushions for ship cabins,” Murkuria answered from across the room. “What do they do aboard ships on long missions? Does the hair pile to the ceilings? There are no fur collectors out there.”

“Perhaps they have ways of spinning and weaving it themselves.” Thorius sighed deeply. He ran his brush through his coat, taking some comfort in the feel, but his depression refused to ease. “What does it matter? It will be octades[11] before we ever know.”

quote:

[11]  Octade = An Aroriellian decade, made up of eight Aroriellian years, is approximately 13.6 Earth years.

One thing that I can't get unstuck from my craw is that they keep using "oct-" prefixes for everything because of their base 8 number system. The problem is that as far as I know, they're not speaking English! Unless the Furlites have a stranger origin than I thought, the author is translating alien words into equivalent English terms that aren't actually real words anyways.

Murkuria and Thorius brush each other's backs, and she notices that Thorius has gotten lazy and left huge clumps of knotted hair unbrushed. They play with Iggie and brush her fur, but sudden laughter and talking from another room alerts them to the fact that their guests have arrived and they rush out to join the party. Even their Ancientparents, Caltra and Iseus, are here; the two are over 145 years old, as Furlites are longer lived than humans.

The kids quickly meet their teenage cousins, Ceria and Elia (identical white-furred twins), who they're going to be living with while their family is in space. They bond over their shared interest in the video game Star Warrior, but the family surrounds them before they can get to the console. Uncle Cerus grabs Thorius in a big, somewhat unwelcome hug.

quote:

“Greetings, my Nephew!” Cerus pulled back, but did not let go. “I hear you are doing excellent in school, and on the Shartball field.”

“Yes,” Thorius nodded.

Beside him, Murkuria grunted in the tight embrace of her Aunt Eselia, who laughed in delight. So jovial and fun to be with, her aunt and uncle livened up any party. She anticipated a great Gathering. As if on cue, a large circle of Furlites formed around them. Someone demanded Cerus tell a story. He obliged, and the twins sat beside their aunt and uncle, with their cousins, to listen to Cerus’ outrageous yarns. Their maternal grandmother, Anuria, added her own bits, quips, and remarks, and the bantering added to the telling. Enlia, their paternal greatmother, added stories of her own, involving her job as an Law Officer. The twins laughed with everyone else, their depression momentarily and thoroughly forgotten.

Geupetus watches the circle from the other side of the room, happy to see that his kids are cheered up. He takes note of the scar over Cerus' eye, the one he left in that schoolyard fight years ago, and realizes that he never really asked Cerus about his feelings on their former feud.

He talks to his Aunt Suria and his mother, Isea, about Suria wanting to pick Uncle Elarus to replace the incompetent Kintus as her Second for her ship.

quote:

A loud bellow stunned him to silence. Geupetus’ eyes roved the room, then settled on his grandfather, Callistus, a giant of a Furlite. Geupetus glanced down at his own huge powerful body, aware that Callistus bequeathed this trait to him. Callistus raised a glass.

I can definitely say that when I see how large my grandfather is, I immediately look at my rippling muscles and think about how his genes gave me strength. That's a normal thing to do.

quote:

Across the room, the twins battled Elia and Ceria in Star Warrior, oblivious to their greatparent’s bellow and the resultant cheers. All anger and depression gone, they concentrated on the game, surrounded by a ring of youngsters.

“Oh, no!” Murkuria yelped. “I lost my mother ship! Thorius! Help me!”

“Blast it all! I can’t!” Thorius muttered. “I have only two fighters left. Krufk, how did you two get so good?”

“Gotchya!” Elia whooped, her shots eliminating Thorius’ ships. “We win!”

She laughed. “You said can’t, like a baby.” Elia and Ceria both giggled, and teased. “Baby, little baby.”

“Talks like a baby,” echoed Thorius’ cousin, Treya, who laughed uncontrollably, her gold-furred torso quivering with mirth.

“Krufk! Who cares?” Thorius whirled on his cousins. Treya silenced, brows raised above shocked teal eyes. Thorius faced Elia and Ceria. “A rematch!”

“Sure!” Elia agreed. Suddenly, the call buzzer rang.

“Who could that be?” Thorius grumbled. “Everyone is here.”

Murkuria tapped the winking lavender answer pad. The main screen above the game flickered and cleared. Murkuria growled inarticulately, removing her gaming headset. Behind Murkuria, young Tria uttered a gasp.

“Evening, Muuurrrkurrria,” Kutius drawled. His eyes shifted. “Thorius. So, I see you are having a party. And the little moron is there, too. How nice.”

“I’m not a moron!” Tria protested with a sob. “What do you want, Dokit turd?” Murkuria curled back her lip, revealing sharp eyeteeth.

“Oh, just to tell you that I will be back at school.” Kutius smirked.

“How?” Murkuria snapped. “They suspended you for good!”

“My grandmother intervened,” Kutius sneered. Murkuria wanted to rip out his white-blue eyes. “She had me reinstated. Such a nice-looking Gathering. To celebrate the new ship. Awwww, how nice, and you two cannot go along! Hahaha! How saaad.”

“Dokit krufk! Sif brain! Vachok!” Murkuria shrieked, anger and depression engulfing her. She leaped for the screen, hands flexed, fingers spread, claws ready. The gaming sensors on her fingers flashed in the light from both screens. Four sets of hands hauled her backward, stopping her from demolishing the innocent monitor.

He has to be back! How else will he have his graphic sex scenes in the spin-off novel? Also, you may find some of this familiar if you first heard about this book in the excerpts in the PYF Terrible Novels thread. The spin-off pretty much directly repeats at least part of this scene, and possibly others.

Kutius hangs up, and Murkuria starts crying.

quote:

“He is not worth it,” Elia added. “He sifzes on everything like an untrained Monius kit, the vachok.”

Calling someone a vachok is actually seeming a bit terrible to me, looking back at the appendix describing it as an archaic term for half-breed slave labor. It almost feels like the equivalent of Furlites casually dropping N-bombs all over the place.

quote:

“They are leaving tomorrow, and it may as well be forever.” Murkuria exhaled in sobs. “Living with Elia and Ceria will be fun, but what will happen after the lights go out at night? I will miss Mother and Father. Uncle Cerus is strong, and Aunt Eselia is kind, but it is not the same.”

“I know. We both will miss Elara, too, and Aunt Ara. Who else will help us keep sharp on the Shartball field?” Thorius mumbled. “Who will share my love of Engineering and help me in school with it? Who will replace our grandparent’s support and vast space experience? Nobody.”

“Who will comfort us like Mother can?” Murkuria wept, tears darkening her facial fur. “Without Grandfather, who will garden with me? I can’t tend that big garden alone. It will fail, and my beautiful Squet trees! I do not know if I can tend them without him! What if I kill them?”

“I never realized before now just how important they are. Twenty-five years is so long. They will miss everything we do. Winning the Shartball World Title without them means so little.” Thorius choked out the words as the lump in his throat swelled.

“I will miss them so much.” Tears shimmered Murkuria’s eyes, spilling into her fur, dripping from her chin into her lap. The lump in Thorius’ throat throttled him. He broke eye contact and stared morosely at the rug.

The beautiful Squet trees framing the Shartball.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I wonder how much money Marie gets from each Amazon sale.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We get into our units of measurement here! But first, the weird way Furlites read clocks:

I just can't wrap my head around this. You say "twenty-four" out loud by write 30 because it's in base 8? How does changing to a base 8 numerical system cause a number to change to a different one when spoken vs. when written?

quote:

TIME DELINEATIONS

Quat: a quarter of an octien; 16 Aroriellian minutes; equivalent to 1.05 Earth hours.

Octien: an Aroriellian hour. An octien is composed of four quats; equivalent to 4.2 Earth hours.

Aroriellian day: 8 Aroriellian octiens (hours). Unlike our clock, the hand of the Aroriellian clock only makes one revolution per day. The Furlitian clock starts at 1, or the first hour, meaning that 1 o’clock is the beginning of the first hour of the day. Thus, instead of 1:00 meaning the end of the first hour, it means the beginning of the first hour, and is written 00:01. An example: 15:01 means 15 minutes into the first hour. Each dot on the clock measures an 8 minute interval, and each larger dot marks a quat, or 16 minute interval.

Quinth: 4 Aroriellian days. A fifth of a cinth. Last quinth in every cinth is 3 days, and is comparable to our weekend, as it is time off from school and work for most. Equivalent to 5.6 Earth days.

Cinth: 19 days; 5 quinths; originally based on the 16 day revolution of Cinsas, the largest moon, around Aroriel, alteration long ago to a more precise solar calendar produced 24 cinths of equal length in Aroriel’s 456 day year.

Aroriellian year: 24 cinths; 6 cinths per season. Each cinth is composed of 19 days. An Aroriellian year is 456 days. Unlike our calendar, this one is very precise. No leap year or the like is needed.

Octade: 8 Aroriellian years; equivalent to 13.6 Earth years.

Octury: 64 Aroriellian years, or 8 octades (written as 100 in their base eight system) = 108.8 Earth years.

Generation: 128 Aroriellian years, or two octuries, or sixteen octades (written as 200 in their numerical system) = 217.6 Earth years.  

Octennium: 512 Aroriellian years, or eight octuries, or four generations (written as 1000 in their system) = 870.4 Earth years.

quote:

CONVERSIONS RELATIVE TO EARTH TIME  

1 Aroriellian (A.) second = 3.69 Earth (E.) seconds.

1 A. minute = 64 A. seconds = 236.16 E. seconds = 3.94 E. minutes.

1 A. quat = ¼ A. hour = 16 A. minutes = 63.04 E. minutes = 1.05 E. hours.

1 A. octien = four quats = 64 A. minutes = 252.16 E. minutes = 4.2 E. hours.

.71 A. days = 1 E. day = 5.7 A. hours.

1 A. day = eight octiens = 32 A. quats = 512 A. minutes = 2017.28 E. minutes = 33.6 E. hours = 1.4 E. days.

1 A. quinth = 4 A. days = quarter of a cinth = 5.6 E. days.

1 A. cinth = 19 A. days = 26.6 E. days = .88 E. month.

21.3 A. days = 1 E. month = 1.12 A. cinth.

259.15 A. days = 1 E. year = 13.45 A. cinths = .57 A. years.

1 Aroriellian year = 1.76 E. years = 24 A. cinths = 21.4 E. months.

quote:

TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENTS            

Octdra = 1.5 degrees in the Kelvin scale.

Absolute Zero = 0 K= 0 octdras.

Freezing Point of Ethanol = -20 F = 244 K = 163 octdras.

Zero Degrees F = 255 K = 170 octdras.

Freezing Point of Water = 32 F = 273 K = 182 octdras.

Furlitian Room Temperature = 55F = 285K = 190 octdras.

Human Room Temperature = 70F = 294K = 196 octdras.

Furlitian Body Temperature = 85F = 302K = 201 octdras.

Human Body Temperature = 98.6F = 310K = 207 octdras.

Boiling Point of Water = 212F = 373K = 249 octdras.

quote:

OTHER MEASUREMENTS (measurements are rounded to nearest similar measurement)

Octa = one centimeter.

Octafet = 3.25 feet or one meter.

Octyle = 1/2 mile = one kilometer.

Octlo = 2.2 pounds = one kilogram.

Furlites use a base eight systems of mathematics, but for most purposes in these books, just as Aroriellian is translated to English, numbers are translated to our base ten for reading clarity.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,  8,   9,  10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20........Infinity   BASE TEN

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24........Infinity   BASE EIGHT

If I see another equals sign, I'm going to strangle myself with a tape measure.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Whiz Palace posted:

This reminds me of why I started hating Homestuck before most other people did.

Why would you make your material obtuse and hard to relate to deliberately?

I'm firmly of the belief that there are two types of Homestuck fans:

1. The ones who pretend to understand it because their friends are into it and they want to join in on dressing up in gray paint and roleplaying.

2. The ones who completely understand it, and therefore are absolutely insane.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Good news! Our next appendix reading will start on Furlite biology!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

“Hello, Shaltra.” Elara sat beside her cousin, her eyes on the little one. “Your baby is so adorable.”

“Thank you. Would you like to hold him?”

“Yes, very much!” Elara waited as Shaltra detached the infant from her breast. The little one protested, but Elara took him and cuddled him, murmuring silly words to him, radiating her love for him. The baby ceased crying, and gazed up at her in a toothless smile. Elara returned the smile, noticing the unique pattern of spots on his left shoulder. They formed a sun system pattern, and the larger middle blot actually looked a brighter gold than the remaining light copper spots. Perfect for an infant of her spacefaring clan. Elara hugged him.

“Have you named him?”

“Yes. We call him Surius, after Grandmother.”

“No wonder Aunt Suria took leave. She does not do that often.”

“No, she does not.” Shaltra shook her head. “I do feel bad though. She was so angry when she found out what that fool Kintus had done.”

“But it worked out. Kintus is gone,” Elara replied. “How long are you staying on leave?”

“Until he enters school.” Shaltra gazed solemnly at Elara. “Teres is staying planet-bound with me until it comes time to return to duty. It will be so hard leaving Surius behind when I do so. I do not know how your mother is dealing with that. It . . .”

“My mother is very well-disciplined, though it must bother her.” Elara took a deep breath. “It will be difficult for everyone. I do not look forward to that parting.”

“I am sorry. I did not mean . . . ”

“I know. Do not worry.” Elara reluctantly handed the baby back. “I wish health and happiness to you and Surius. You are so lucky your first pregnancy went full term.”

“I know.” Shaltra smiled broadly. “Thank you.”

“If you will excuse me, my cousin Esurus wants to talk to me about classes at the University.”

“Good fortune to you,” Shaltra said softly, cuddling her son to her chest.

“Thank you.” Elara tickled Surius’ belly. “Bye, little one.”

Elara finds her cousin Esurus sitting with her other cousin Thitris, and it's already getting hard to keep track of everyone. Esurus immediately starts the conversation by asking Elara for advice on how to get Commander Ransius to like him at the academy. The rest of their conversation is too meaningless to really deserve recounting, mostly just establishing that Thitris is a class clown and having trouble advancing through the academy because of his poor discipline.

quote:

“Well, I . . . ” Thitris stared at Elara, his dark russet coat bristling.

“Well, I what?” Elara growled. “You are twenty-five years old. You should at least be a Yoeite by now. Sometimes you are a real chafkhead, Thitris. I am happy you are not my brother. I would be horrified!”

Thitris gaped at her. Elara gazed back, radiating strong disapproval. She took delight as it stabbed into him. For all the strong discipline in Aunt Suria’s household, nobody possessed the psi talent to make him feel their disapproval. Elara practiced, and, over the years, her talents expanded to the point where she projected nearly as well as her mother. His stunned expression pleased her. Behind Thitris, his parents Thuria and Shegus stood, attracted by the commotion. Shegus’ bright green-gold eyes glittered with disapproval, and Thuria scowled down at her son, teal eyes blazing.

Wait, hang on. Psi talent? Furlites, what, psychically project emotions to make people feel bad? Literally none of this has been properly established and suddenly our aliens are also psychics.

Elara notices that Murkuria is crying, and gets up to get everyone's attention. After a good paragraph or two of Thitris being a dick and everyone mocking him for it, she proposes a game of Walball for the family and sends Thorius to get the game box.

quote:

“All right,” he replied, a slight smile tugging at his down-turned lips. Elara and the entire Clan waited for Thorius to return with the game. He hauled the large box into the room, then unpacked it. He took the cloth basket and secured it to the wall. As he did so, Murkuria plucked a plastic octagon from the box. Elia ranged alongside, then pulled out a smooth hitting stick and a sponge ball. Elara watched, satisfied, as the twins lost their woebegone expressions, eager to play this simple game. The person to score the most baskets by hitting the sponge ball won, but the toss of that numbered octagon dictated how many chances a player took at each turn. The children gathered around, eager to play. Impatient, Elia took the rod and tapped the octagon. Murkuria nearly dropped it.

“Hey! Elia!” Murkuria exclaimed, grabbing the stick. She pulled on it, tossing the eight-sided sponge to Ceria. Elia tugged back, and they laughed. They tugged harder, careening back and forth. Murkuria forgot her grief and that horrible vidcall. A young preschool-age child ran up to them, laughing. He bounced on excited feet, taking a swat from Murkuria’s tail. Bowled over, he leaped back to his feet, laughing. Murkuria and Elia barely noticed him, until a deafening squall stopped the tugging match. Murkuria uttered a startled cry and released the stick, sending Elia on her tail. She lurched to one side, feeling something under her foot. Murkuria glanced down in time to see the youngster’s dark gold tail swishing out from under her toes. The child stood up, wiped his tears away, and glared at Murkuria, ignoring his mother.

The kids play for a bit, and Thitris manages to come in last even against preschoolers. Everybody hates Thitris.

quote:

“He cannot retort back at her now,” Ceria giggled. “I would love to see him try. He is nearly as bad as that slimepot in your class, Kutius.”

“Nobody is that bad,” Murkuria growled.

“Hey, speaking of that dirtbag, is it not amazing he is of Clan Koris?” Elia whispered.

“Koris?” Thorius hissed with hatred. “That tyrant king, from our history books?”

“Yes.” Elia nodded. “We told you the day it happened.”

“I still do not believe it.” Murkuria frowned. “Who would even admit to such a relationship?”

“Well, I was in the Disciplinary Office when Kutius’ parents stormed in.” Elia glared with indignation. “His father is a small Dokit of a man, and his mother is as grubby as Kutius! Anyway, when the Officer gave punishment, she declared he discriminated against her, just because she was of Koris’ Clan.” Elia lowered her voice further. “I was so shocked I forgot what I went in there to ask for! The Disciplinary Officer seemed unperturbed, but even I felt his surprise.”

The "Dokit" thing reminded me, swear words just seem to tumble out of Furlites' mouths like candy from a pinata. If it weren't for them being aliens, Murkuria freaking out at the call from Kutius would have been a preteen just dropping racial slurs in between calling him a piece of poo poo.

Also, someone mentioned Kutius being sterile. Here's why:

quote:

“But I was there.” Elia frowned. “You do not believe me either?” “About someone admitting being related to Koris?

"No,” Murkuria replied. “Maybe Kutius’ mother lied, for attention. How could someone of Koris’ ilk have escaped the castration knife? The Rebels snipped all the males’ chybutz off, and cut into the females, making them barren.” Murkuria whispered. “Under his horrible reign, he had slaves, and his warriors even broke apart bonded couples.”

“He was terrible.” Ceria glanced over at Elara. “Your sister would be in such trouble if she lived then. She looks like an obvious cross between the Tropic race and the Arctic race. At least we look like the Mid race.”

“But we would be warriors,” Elia’s voice rose. “Uuugh. Just to fight, and nothing else?”

“Thank the cosmos that the races are so blended there are no pure strains any more,” Thorius said. “It is hard to believe there once were.”

Furlite society is horrifying.

quote:

“If it is true Kutius is a direct descendant, that does explain his idiocy,” Thorius commented. “He and his mother are misfits, and, by their actions, deserve whatever is coming to them. He deserves to lose his chybutz. I hope they remember to get the third chybut, the one that descends at bonding. Then he can never consummate a bond.”

“And that means even if he does bond, it cannot ever be real.” Elia grinned wickedly. “That would be a fitting thing to happen to him. Maybe we should all tease him about it in school. He will be back, it seems.”

“I hope he is just lying again, but maybe you are right, Elia,” Murkuria sighed, grasping Elia’s hand before growling. “If it is true he is back at school, I wish I had beaten him to death. Teasing him might be great fun. I hate him!”

“So do I, but be glad you did not kill him. Remember, the Termination Tradition still exists.” Thorius glanced at the console. “Come, let us start a game, and forget slopass boy.”

Even the children in this book are a bunch of assholes!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I remember my days in middle school, talking to my siblings about how I wished I could beat a school bully to death (immediately after mocking him for being castrated as punishment for a distant relative's crimes) and how I was only stopped by the threat of immediate execution.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samizdata posted:

Because, you know, dinosaurs are cool! All kids love dinosaurs!

EDIT: I walked into this particular Let's Read blind. Does someone have linkage to the post about this infamous sex scene?

Toward the end of this page.

This is what we're working towards.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Now we get into the part everyone is interested in: biology!

quote:

LIFESPAN INFORMATION

Average Furlitian Lifespan = 130 Aroriellian years = 229 Earth years.
Average Human Lifespan  = 45 Aroriellian years = 76.5 Earth years.

quote:

FURLITIAN EVOLUTION & RACES     

On Aroriel, life evolved under cooler conditions than on Earth. Reptilian lifeforms which arose in the tropical regions quickly evolved into a type of furry crocodilian which spread over the globe during warmer eras in Aroriellian geologic history. From one very cold-tolerant species evolved Aroriellian mammalians, including furry dinosaurian mammalians, during a cooling-down period.    

The Furlite evolved from a Monius-like creature in the northern subpolar and temperate zones in a very cold and environmentally challenging time amid Aroriel’s geologic history. They banded together in packs, which evolved into tribes. They learned to cooperate in order to raise their slow-maturing young, protecting them not only from the fierce elements, but also from larger, more savage carnivores which roamed the planet at that time.    

The Stone Age Furlites, who changed color with the seasons, spread out all over the globe, and settled into civilizations. They evolved, increasing in size and brain power. Somewhere along the journey to global domination as a species, Furlites lost the capacity to change color with the seasons. It is not clearly understood why this change occurred. During this time, tribes settled in various parts of the world, securing territory and abundant resources. Isolation from each other as a result of continental drift, and the climate of their homelands, produced the five original aboriginal races of Furlitekind that persisted for millennia. The five original Frlitian races, Artropic, Tropic, Midrace, Arctic, and Arielartic, became very prejudiced and did not allow interracial bondings to survive. Warring between groups for territory and resources was common, until the climate warmed from natural cyclic fluctuations, producing abundant game and ample territory for all the races. Treaties were signed, and most tribes agreed to live in peace, to trade, and to abolish weaponry of war. Though peace reigned over the globe, racial preferences and prejudices ruled the tribes, and the races stayed quite separate for eons.

Only the tyranny of a power-hungry self-proclaimed king in the Furlitian Middle Ages and the fight for freedom from his brutal reign broke the taboo of interracial bonding. From that time until the present day, races blended with each new bond until no pure strains remained. This total mix of genetics resulted in Furlites spanning not only the color spectrum with every combination of markings and eye color, but the varieties in size and body build that are prevalent in modern Furlites. Below are illustrations of the five races and of the evolution of Furlitekind in relation to other Aroriellian mammalians.

quote:

FOOD

Gurt root = tuber, similar to a potato/yam hybrid.

Jala root = tuber, resembling a carrot/turnip hybrid.

Kaba = chocolate-like bean. Used in many foods; similar to cocoa. Color, however, is a dark maroon.

Meats = wild Sorsa, Guanis, Dokit, Pachesif, Swikus, and Gerial are hunted for food. Sorsat, Guanat, Dokit, Swikin, and Geriat are species bred for the table.

Milk = comes from domestic Sorsats and Guanats. Consumed as a beverage and used in cooking. Cheeses and puddings also are made from these heavy, thick milks.

Ruscol = coffee-like hot beverage.

Shistus = alcoholic beverage, similar to a wine/beer mix.

Once more, Marie's limited imagination shows in the Furlitian food. It's mostly just renamed "simple" foods, and they even have their own versions of coffee, chocolate, and ice cream. It feels like only a few particular aspects of this book (like clawing each other to death in schoolyard fights and having three testicles) couldn't be done with humans in the far future.

And now, the moment we've all been waiting for.

quote:

BONDING PHYSIOLOGY & CULTURE     

Furlites bond physiologically and psychologically when the right mate is encountered. This system is driven by pheromones neither sex consciously controls or is conscious of. The instinctive impulse to find a suitable mate for bonding drives Furlites of all ages, as the bonding pheromones are active soon after birth. The urge increases with the onset of puberty, when the sexual pheromones are produced for the first time. Before bonding, neither sex is fertile, thus safe promiscuous sexual activity is common among unbonded individuals. At bonding, as each individual breathes the odorless pheromones into the sinus cavities where the chemical is carried to the brain, changes begin in both mind and body to attune the pair to each other. Bonding may happen instantaneously or over several hours, depending on the age, time spent together, and strength of individual reactions.     

Psychological changes include a sudden intense attraction and an overwhelming compulsion to mate, as well as total disinterest in other suitors. Physiological changes occur in both female and male. Internal changes intensify sensations and climax during the sexual act, and to both comes the onset of fertility. In the female, the ovaries enlarge and begin producing eggs. In the male, the third testicle (chybut) descends and begins producing sperm. Only bonded Furlites can have children, and the bond may only be broken by the death of one of the pair. The survivor often sinks into a spiral of despair, depression, and unconsciousness known as a suicidal coma. If medical help does not intervene, the majority of survivors die soon after their spouses. If the survivor does not die, that individual endures a deep grieving period, after which re-bonding may occur. Younger Furlites are more likely to re-bond after such trauma. Most bondings occur with little trouble, but, as with any biological system, things do not always run smoothly. Below are the types of bonds that can occur.

Double bond = The natural, normal bond between one male and one female.

Single bond = A bond where one partner thinks there is a bond, but no bond exits. Very difficult situation emotionally, and only resolves if the person bonds for real.

Triple bond = Bond that commonly occurs with identical twins, who often bond to the same mate. The male will experience severe changes in his genitalia, such as an enormous double-chambered third chybut (testicle), to accommodate his twin female spouses. However, if a female bonds to twin males, no such drastic change is seen in the males, and since females possess the capacity to handle more than one male prior to bonding, no intense biological adaptation occurs within the female.

Quadruple bond = Rare bonding between two sets of identical twins in which all four are involved. Either male can fertilize either female in such a bond.

Semi-bond = In this bond, both feel strong attraction, but the fertility changes never occur. Both are able to enjoy sexual relations with other partners, though they tend to prefer each other. The attraction is broken only by a true bonding by either to another.

Partial bond = This is an unfinished true bond that is often started in the childhood of one of the partners. A vast age discrepancy, or not enough time spent together, or both, leaves the partners in a semi-bonded state. The afflicted may dream of each other, yet not be fully aware of why. In general, the older of the pair is troubled by dreams and vague feelings. The bond stays in an unfinished state until some change between the two involved triggers the fertility changes which complete the cycle. If the pair are given sufficient time together and exposure to each other, the partial bond usually solidifies into a true double bond.

Single bonds are the "Nice Guys" of Furlitian society.

Also notice how there's absolutely no mention of homosexuality in Furlitian society, but you have males loving twin sisters and growing gigantic balls to deal with it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Across the room, Elara watched the four trot quickly to the console, straining to hear the conversation between the children. Whatever they discussed kept the twins in a decent mood, though Murkuria and Elia looked rather angry. A large audience formed around the console as the twins started up the Star Warrior game. Elara smiled inwardly as little Shervus struggled to break his sister’s grasp. Pria held him tightly, but the little mischief struggled harder.

“Elara?” A hand touched her back. She turned to face all four of her paternal greatparents.

“Greetings!” She smiled broadly, giving Murkurus and Geupria long hugs. She embraced Thoria and Callistus next. She poked once at the glittering Ship Commander’s Medallion resting on Callistus’ chest. “It is good to see all of you.”

“Ah, Elara.” Callistus beamed with pride. “We are so proud you have made Cadet, and will be aboard the new Sunpyne.”

“Thank you, Greatfather.”

“Yes, we are very proud as well.” Her greatmother Geupria grasped her wrist with a silvered hand. Only a few russet strands remained as a reminder of Geupria’s once-solid brilliant color.

“Thank you,” Elara smiled.

“This is indeed a special moment for the entire Clan.” Callistus put an arm across her back and shook her affectionately. She felt his pride so strongly she shifted in discomfort.

“Yes,” she agreed. “I think Father sometimes cannot believe it. He is calm and serious, but his eyes smile all the time.”

“Elara.” Her greatfather Murkurus spoke softly. He lifted a package that sat next to him, handing it to her. His light green-gold eyes crinkled into a smile. “This we brought for you. It is a gift, to honor the third generation Fleet member from our humble side of the family.”

“Thank you,” Elara murmured, and carefully opened the fancy wrapping foil. She wondered how many credits the foil cost them. She opened the inside pouch, and gasped with delight at the gorgeous gift. She studied the new backsack, its stiff fabric printed deep black, decorated with images of the planets in the Rochian system. Roch gleamed in blazing white glory on the central pouch. Elara gazed at it as if unaware that this star shone in the skies of Aroriel every day.

“It is beautiful!” She embraced both greatparents fiercely. “Thank you!”

I've already started to lose track of all these characters, and they mentioned that Clan Darius is crewing the ship so I have a good feeling we're going to be taking the whole drat party along for the ride.

The greatparents begin to cry, as Elara remembers the implications of the 25-year journey.

quote:

“I understand,” she said softly, blinking back stubborn tears of her own. “I will cherish this sack forever.”

The Furlites of Aroriel: I will cherish this sack forever

Geupria also has new sacks for the twins: Thorius gets one covered in photographs of various spacecraft (with the Sunpyne on the big top flap), while Murkuria gets one covered in images of Iggie based on photographs she had sent them last winter.

quote:

“Look! Look! Matissia!”

The cry froze everyone. Murkuria recognized the voice of Shervus, her little cousin. He freed himself from his sister Pria with a final squirm. He dashed past his cousin Kara, who grabbed for him, ducked under Elia, and, before anyone moved, he rushed toward Iggie. Iggie squawked in alarm and spread her wings for flight, but before she launched herself, the little preschooler grabbed her wing. Another hand scooped under her belly. Iggie screamed in outrage and panic. Her lips curled back from needle fangs as she snarled, but before she had the chance to bite, Murkuria exploded with uncontrollable wrath. She grabbed Shervus’ arm, spinning the child around, and wrenched the animal from the shocked little boy’s hands. Iggie’s snap fell on midair.

“Shervus! You horrible boy! Are you crazy?! How dare you grab Iggie by her wing! How cruel you are!” Murkuria’s face contorted with fury. Iggie’s snarls echoed her words. “Do you not have respect for animals? You should not grab even a Monius kit that way! Iggie does not know you! You could have hurt her and she would have bitten you! You . . .”

“Murkuria.” A stern voice shut off her tirade as if she had a switch. “Please control your anger. Shervus is but a baby. Do not project your anger at another on him.”

With what we know of Furlites and Murkuria in particular, Shervus should count himself lucky he didn't end up with his severed head being spiked into a trash can.

They try to let Shervus pet Iggie gently, but his mother Sira freaks out and scoops him up; she's a city slicker who thinks Matissias are all dangerous beasts. The rest of the family convinces her to let Shervus pet her, and even Sira gets in on it. They all apologize and everything is forgiven.

Is it just me, or is there practically zero conflict in this book? 80 pages and Kutius being a dickhead and the stress of leaving the twins behind have been the only sources of conflict. There's been plenty of arguments and disagreements, but every one of them has so far been resolved with everyone apologizing and forgiving one another before moving on to a different subject.

quote:

Elara stared after her siblings, amazed at Murkuria’s fury. The rage that blasted into her own senses far exceeded anything she had ever felt from her sister before. As the ruckus died down, Elara turned away and drifted through the room. She meandered over to Shaltra and baby Surius again. She smiled at them, and the baby opened his eyes, cooed, and smiled toothlessly at her.

“He really likes you,” Shaltra commented. “He usually shies from non-household members. Would you like to hold him again?”

“Yes, I would love to.” Elara sank to the cushion, then lifted him from his cradle. She cuddled the baby, muttering silly words to him. He burbled happily. She wondered, would she ever have children? One needed to bond to do so, and no male took interest in her, not even Kanus! Bonding stimulated the reproductive system to fertility. Indulging in sex with anyone without bonding produced no pregnancies. Yet, sexual experience eluded her, not on account of ugliness or stupidity, but because males found her inexplicably unattractive. They treated her like a sister, though often commenting on her beauty and intelligence. Why?

Normally, by the age of nineteen years old, a young Furlite’s virgin days lay years in the past, but Elara’s still hung with her. She feared a dysfunction of her pheromone system, but avoided telling anyone. As a Commander’s daughter, she refused to admit to a weakness that might get back to her classmates, or, worse, ground her from space flights. Let everyone think she and Kanus enjoyed a good relationship, and that she understood what her friends swooned and delighted over. Someday, she might learn of sexual passions, and even bond if she revealed the truth, but, for now, nothing must change.

STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR WEIRD CAT SEX HABITS WHEN A BABY SHOWS U--

Oh the chapter just loving ends here. That's swell.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tagra posted:

So their lifespan is 130 years (229 Earth years) but they're already getting it on well before 19 (whatever the gently caress that is in Earth years). Makes sense :huh:

Well, there's still direct Earth parallels like the age of adulthood being around 18 and the legal drinking age being 23. It seems like they just have a very long "elderly" period where they become senior citizens at the normal time and then last for a good hundred years after.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Kutius was castrated entirely on his own terms.

Somehow this makes it worse.

Also, I apologize if I don't have rapid updates or a whole lot of cheer recently. My fiancee kinda left me yesterday and I can't tell when or if this depression is ever going away.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That's awful. I hope that the "kinda" means that you might end up back together, but if not, I hope that this gets behind you quickly.

I'm not sure right now. She was acting strangely for a while and suddenly announced yesterday that she had secretly been unhappy for the past 6 months of our engagement and I couldn't fix anything. At the same time, she didn't take anything but a single basket of clothes and left almost all of her other belongings with me and she just said "I don't know" when asked if moving out also meant she was breaking off our engagement permanently.

I just don't know. I'm not a sobbing fit any more but I don't think I'm getting over this for a long time, if at all. You can't just put years into a person and build your future around getting married and having kids and then just shrug your shoulders and move on when she suddenly tells you "gently caress that".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm feeling a bit better, so back we go into the chybuts.

quote:

Thorius awoke to the sounds of laughter and lively conversation. He slowly sat up, confused and very depressed, blinking in the bright light, and remembered. Only octiens now remained of his last day with his family. Thorius sighed, and went to the window to stare out at the glorious winter morning. The snow glittered with illusive rainbow sparkles, and the sun slanted past the thick tree branches to cover the yard in lacy patterns. Murkuria’s two Mountain Squet trees stretched smooth, naked, grey-barked branches into the sky. Murkuria sat next to him.

“My poor trees,” she lamented. “I think they, too, will miss everyone.”

“You love them. They will thrive,” Thorius murmured. “Why are you awake so early?”

“I did not sleep well,” she mumbled, her voice shaking. “Oh, Thorius, what will we do?”

“I do not know.”

Nethunia comes to get the twins for breakfast, but sits with them and hugs them after seeing them cry. The conversation is basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxDInu6wOYg&t=11s

They eat breakfast quietly and sullenly, hot cereal Orios made from their own grain growing. The family shares small talk, like about putting warning signs up along the Floodlands and Ara's team winning the Shartball game. Elara leaves to go pack, and Geupetus follows her.

They're allowed to pack whatever they want on the Sunpyne as long as they can carry it, so Elara fills her sack to the brim until it's nearly too heavy for her to lift; she's used to it from carrying so many fossils home from her Paleontology class.

quote:

Geupetus paused.

“What is it, Father?” Elara unbuckled her sack, then eased it to the rug. She sensed his reluctance. “You must tell me now. It would be unfair not to.”

“Do you remember Telluris?”

“Yes, he is Tesuris’ father.” Elara’s insides snarled into a knot. The name flowed out; the first time she had spoken it aloud in over five years. Her father must NOT know it still troubled her! As a Cadet, she should show NO weakness! She wrestled with the cyclonic emotions that threatened to burst forth, and quickly composed herself.

Geupetus paused indecisively. Did pain flash across her face? It disappeared so quickly he wondered if he had truly seen anything at all. Did she still hurt over that horrible incident so many years ago? If so, why? Should he, by telling her his news, risk opening ancient wounds? Her distinct lack of any sexual relations worried him. She and Kanus spent a lot of time together, but no aura of sensuality ever accompanied their encounters. She gazed at him expectantly. Geupetus shrugged, then sighed.

“Elara, Telluris is going to be my Ship Second.” Geupetus paused again.

“That is great news. I am happy you will be working together again.”

“And Tesuris is going to be our junior Navigator, working under Subcommander Turus.”  

Elara stood frozen. Tesuris? Tesuris! Her mind let the name flow. Her emotions whirled inside, confusion rushing to the forefront. Would he remember her? Could they still be friends? The questions tumbled faster and faster until she wanted to run screaming from the room, but she dared not. Once again calling on her strength of will, she calmed the tumultuous storm in her heart, and, with a smile, faced her father.

“That is wonderful, Father! I will be most happy with our reunion!”

“Are you . . . ?”

A sudden cheep silenced further talk. Elara turned to see the twins standing in the doorway. She glanced at Iggie clinging to Murkuria’s back, big green eyes wide and sad, reflecting Murkuria’s emotional state. A loyal little creature, Iggie would do anything within her powers for Murkuria.

“Are you packing?” Thorius asked softly.

“I am finished. But you can help me pack the fossils. You are taking them to Uncle Cerus’, are you not?”

“Yes. I will care for them well.” Murkuria walked over to the shelves.

“I know you will,” Elara said softly. “I will help you prepare them for moving. It is a delicate task.”

The casual way the Furlites treat sex comes off as really, really creepy. Any dad that's concerned about his 19-year-old daughter not loving enough has a lot of soul searching to do.

Most of the day passes quickly from there. Geupetus approaches his bondfather Enlis to try and clear the air regarding his feud with Cerus back in school, but Enlis waves it off as happening too long ago to matter. Finally, it's time for the family to leave. Thorius and Murkuria are left in the care of their grandparents and cousins to cry themselves out.

When he's put to bed, Thorius ignores sleep in favor of staring longingly out the window. He catches a glimpse of his mother's old shuttle....and remembers that he knows its locking and ignition codes.

quote:

“Why did I not think of this before,” he muttered. “I can drive Mother’s old craft! I can! And I know the way to the Space Center well!”

Elation soared within his aching heart as the outrageous plan unfolded like a spring flower in his mind. He scurried over to Murkuria’s bed, placing a hand on her shoulder. She blinked at him.

“Murkuria!” His urgent whispering caused her to lift her head, her eyes wet with leaking tears. “We can go to the Complex!”

“What?” Murkuria’s voice wavered in a raspy whisper. “How?” She sat up instantly. “Did they come back for us?”

“No.” Thorius’ next words quelled her rising hope. “We can take Mother’s old shuttle and go down there. I know its codes. We can sneak out, and who will notice at that time of night?”

“What will we do there?”

“Do you not get it? We will get aboard that ship ourselves!”

“Thorius!” Murkuria stared. “We cannot do that!”

“Yes, we can. I can drive, and I know the route to the Space Center so well I could get there in my sleep.”

Murkuria gaped at him. “We cannot do that. It is wrong to steal shuttles. We cannot yet drive. Breaking laws is wrong!” Her voice rose. “Remember when Elara did it? She failed, and was caught! Most shuttles go by hand and finger prints now anyway.”

“Shhhh! Grandparents will hear you! Mother’s is older and still has locking codes.”

“Thorius.” Murkuria’s whisper dropped. “It will not work.”

“We will not be stealing, only borrowing,” Thorius argued. “We will leave a note on my bed. By morning, when they find it, we will be aboard the Sunpyne.”

Keep in mind that these two kids are literally 12. I'd be surprised if Thorius can even see over the dashboard.

quote:

“Do you not listen?” Murkuria hissed. “Elara barely made it a octyle[12] before she was caught! What makes you think we can do better?”

quote:

[12] Octyle is equivalent to a kilometer, or roughly a half a mile.

Thorius explains that Elara was only caught in her as-of-now mysterious activity because she drove like an rear end in a top hat in the daylight, where it was easy for the cops to see that a child was driving. Thorius has never even driven a car before, but he's seen people do it so he's confident that he'll be fine. Murkuria still refuses, and Thorius goes to bed defeated in his attempt to progress the plot faster than a snail.

Murkuria has a nightmare of seeing her family getting aboard the Sunpyne and walking into an empty black corridor, the door slamming shut in her face.

quote:

“Thorius! Wake up!”

“What is wrong?” he mumbled, uncurling slowly. The urgency in her voice sat him up immediately.

“A very horrible dream!”

“But you never have nightmares,” he frowned.

“I know. It means you are right. We must go, or we may never see them again.”

“What was the dream?”

Murkuria recounted every detail. Thorius’ insides snarled into a knot of foreboding.

“Thorius, we will go.”

“Excellent!” Thorius hugged her. “I am so glad you changed your mind. Tomorrow, we will plan the trip.”

“Good. I feel better now.” Murkuria smiled, her lips trembling.

The twins curled up and fell asleep, no bad dreams, no restless tossing. They slept so deeply that they never noticed when Enlis and Anuria placed a very groggy Matissia on Murkuria’s bed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The illustration is actually the start of the next chapter, but I stumbled upon it and couldn't restrain myself.

Pesky Splinter posted:

It is it ever explained why none of the hideous things ever use contractions?

They get made fun of for "baby talk" whenever they do, so presumably they consider the use of contractions immature and improper grammar.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lysistrata posted:

I'm really glad to see that you're feeling a bit better, chi. I enjoyed your Lani Sarem thread a lot, and I was missing my chybut fix here. Best wishes to you and keep on keepin' on.

Thanks a lot. My friends have been doing well to keep my spirits up. I'm heading to a Halloween movie night with them where we're going to watch Hocus Pocus and a currently undecided second movie.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let's get into some information on the organization that our kids are planning on breaking into:

quote:

SPACE FLEET INFORMATION

SPEP = Space Flight Educational Program is open to all students as they enter Primary School at 15 years of age. In rare instances, SFEP curriculum is available to children of younger age should they show exceptional promise. This extracurricular program is in addition to normal school work, and instructs would-be spacefarers in the rigors and demands of their chosen careers. A grueling program, it is designed to weed out the unfit, while producing, by eighteen years of age, students suited for a career in the Space Flight Program. If one is chosen as a Cadet, schooling continues at the Space Center on the grounds of the University of Cosmic Sciences.

The "SPEP" there is part of the original text, likely a typo left in by the author.

quote:

Space Fleet Rank System

Fleet Commander = oversees everything involved with the space fleet, including commercial flights such as freighters to lunar and other planetary bases, as well as exploratory flights.

Ship Commander = a Commander given command of a space craft. Ship Commanders are higher in rank than grounded Commanders, and pecking order of respect is determined by size and importance of ship, and how many ships a Clan commands.

Commander = a Commander is the best in his field or fields of study, and possesses strong leadership ability. Often is responsible for work and studies done in his or her fields of expertise. Generally is proficient in two or more disciplines.

Subcommander = masters one area of expertise; often skilled in another. If the individual shows leadership potential, he or she is given subordinates to oversee. Many are happy to stay at this level once they achieve it.                        

Midshipite = most common rank, where specialization in only one profession occurs. The majority are quite content to stay at this level, not interested in leading or teaching. However, the few that show interest and proficiency in more than one task or profession will be the ones promoted to the next level.

Yoeite = a Cadet ascends quickly to this level, earning an occupation title, becoming a productive worker and a full member of a ship’s crew.

Cadet = new inductee into the Fleet. Learns hands-on the work and professions he or she chooses. Works as a student under an older crewmember, learning the idiosyncracies of the ship, job, and crew mates. Most earn their way to the next level quickly.

Grounded Cadets, Yoeites, Midshipites, Subcommanders & Commanders = these individuals are either between jobs, or permanently grounded from injury, illness, or incompetence. Shipboard individuals of the same level are ranked higher in the hierarchy, and grounded Fleet members must defer to their spacefaring superiors. Rare exceptions might be Ship Commanders who give up command voluntarily because of Clan troubles, or other such problems. These retain the respect of their peers, and often gain another command with ease.

Our final update for this chapter is about the Furlitian government.

quote:

ARORIELLIAN LAW & GOVERNMENT     

The Government on Aroriel consists of the eighteen state Governors and the Fleet Commander, which together comprise the Aroriellian Council. The Council’s job is to oversee and discuss proposed Laws before they are either voted on by the Council or put to a public referendum. Each Governor’s task is to bring his or her state’s opinion and vote to the table. If too much haggling goes on, or the vote is too close, it goes to referendum. If the populace is unhappy with a Law, it may go under appeal and be voted off the books by a referendum.     

Justice and taking care of law-breakers is done by local Law Officers, whose job it is to capture, then bring the offender home in disgrace to his or her Clan. Proof of the crime and all paperwork must be provided by the arresting officer. The Clans of victum and/or perpetrator then must mete out appropriate punishment. This is recorded into public record by town or city clerks.  For lesser crimes, like vehicle violations, the Clan punishes the offender as they see fit. In more serious crimes, like burglary or driving while intoxicated, isolating the perpetrator in wilderness with no help from society for a period of time is sufficient. Greater crimes force Clans to drop the offender at an island “prison” where the perpetrator must live with others like him, and survive by his wits. He must find his own food and shelter until his time is paid. Society provides only patrol shuttleboats to prevent escape by swimming, but no other service is rendered. The most heinous crime of murder is rare. An ancient law, known as the Termination Tradition, demands that the Clan of the perpetrator perform the death penalty on that individual; thus, over time, people with the inclination toward such behavior were eventually culled out of the populace.     

Individual responsibility is highly favored. Clans can, and are expected to, take the law into their own talons when necessary. Clans are expected to take care of their own members. There are no laws restricting firearms, or any other products of society, and individuals are expected to be responsible and logical in using them. Below is a copy of the Aroriellian Charter, drawn up after the civil war which provided the hard-won freedom that the Cinth of Independence holiday celebrates.

quote:

THE ARORIELLIAN CHARTER

We, all the Furlites of the planet Aroriel, hereby agree that every individual possesses the rights to freedom, happiness, and knowledge. These rights shall NEVER be infringed by any government, king, dictator, or other group determined to curtail rights in the pretense of protecting society. We shall live by the virtues of logic and justice, and we shall accept no other controlling creed or doctrine.

Below are the simple Laws all Clans and individuals shall follow from this day forth.

1. Individuals shall live free, in a world ruled by logic, reason, and a free trade system. It is the individual’s responsibility to earn a place in society to the best of one’s ability.

2. Individuals have the right to voice their opinions, ideas, and thoughts, without threat of retaliation. However, no communications medium shall report false or biased information as fact.

3. Clans and Individuals shall stand or fall, live or die, succeed or fail, by their own judgment and decisions.

4. Personal freedom being the most fundamental right of a free people, the right to defend one’s self, Clan, and property from those who would alter or destroy shall not be limited; therefore, the right to own, carry, and utilize weapons shall be encouraged and not be infringed.

5. The Government shall never consist of more than one representative per State, and these volunteer elected Governors will comprise The Aroriellian Council which will carry out the administrative and judicial desires of the citizens they represent.

6. Education shall not be thwarted or infringed. Facts and knowledge shall be available to all. No revision of facts shall be created and used to suit any individual, Clan, or group. Learning the information available is the responsibility of the individual.

7. No individual shall be treated unjustly for any differences, whether ideological, physical, or mental.

8. Any individual who refuses to live by these simple values, and persists in violating the rights and freedoms of others, forfeits societal participation, and must abide by the punishment meted out by the victim’s Clan.  
So it is agreed, by all the citizens of Aroriel, that we shall forever uphold liberty, reason, productivity, the pursuit of knowledge, and justice, above all else.

As far as I can see, there's little to no real violation of these libertarian-lite principles that we've encountered in the book despite the Furlites being so violent that even children need to restrain themselves from killing each other on the playground (with only the threat of immediate execution seeming to work). It almost comes off as them having developed a perfect government free of any complaints beyond occasional crime.

Plus, you know, tearing each other's stomachs open in bar fights.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SerialKilldeer posted:

That eugenic "weed out the murderers" thing didn't work very well, did it?

I mean, we haven't seen anyone actually kill each other. Playground scuffles between preteens just involve massive gashes and it's considered a mark of incredible self-control to punch your opponent instead of gutting them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

One thing that always struck me as weird (admittedly, it's not just this book that does that) is the one planetary government thing. It'd bring a whole new set of problems and SF writers just shrug it off.

It should have been lovely to form, too. Apparently the Furlites were a bunch of warring tribes that eventually signed peace treaties, and the shock of a single dictator was enough to convince them to mix the races and thus create everlasting peace.

It comes off as racist in a really weird way: different races will never get along unless they mix into a generic shade of brown and everyone is alike.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Geupetus ushered the family from the house to the shuttleport. He paused before entering the hangar, and stole a quick last look at the home he loved. He turned, and strode to the family shuttle. In complete silence, everyone climbed into the big family shuttlecraft. Geupetus slid into the driver’s seat and started the vehicle, guiding the large craft onto the road. The late afternoon sun slanted long red-gold beams through the trees, bathing the snowy road and forest in a lacy pattern of fire.  

Elara stared out the window, struggling with her emotions, blinking back stubborn tears. Already, she missed her siblings more than she imagined. Thoughts of Tesuris erupted, unbidden, in her mind. She lacked the energy to fight them as they swirled through her head in chaotic fury. Why had their separation hurt so? Why did it still hurt to even think his name? It made no sense to her. Why, her mind wailed, why had he stopped calling and writing?? Her heart jumped. He would be there at the University! She desired for years to see him, but would he wish to see her? That question prevented her from trying to contact him again after that awful attempt six years ago. She heaved a big sigh, and decided not to think about it. Her inner wall shook, threatening to buckle completely and leave her a emotional mess. She watched the landscape, concentrating on the slow change in the vegetation as they drew closer to their destination.

I put 2 years into someone and planned out an entire future around her and I'm nowhere near as much of a wreck as she is!

Nethunia, sitting in the front passenger seat, is still doing that thing where she struggles against her maternal instincts but steels herself and doesn't actually do anything. She also blinks back tears.

quote:

As the city drew closer, Elara’s talons clicked faster. She heard little of the conversations that swirled around her, dimly aware of each individual voice. She thought only of Tesuris. Why had he stopped contacting her? Could he have suffered some sort of trauma and forgotten her? What did he look like now? Most important, would he, too, find her sexually unattractive? Her lack of interest in sex troubled her deeply. She worried about the possibility of his rejection of her sexually. Her talons drummed harder.

Okay the whole sex addiction with this species is kinda making me uncomfortable now.

As Ara tries to calm Elara down, the shuttle pulls off on a side road before reaching the city toward the University of Cosmic Sciences. The tall gates stand out across the prairie, and she can't decide whether she's excited or worried or stressed about her ex.

quote:

Nethunia wondered what Elara thought of seeing Tesuris again, recalling the first meeting between the two. When Elara turned five days old, Telluris and Rania visited her, as they often did back then, bringing three-year-old Tesuris with them. The boy took to the baby immediately. He cuddled her, brushed her, and played with her with tenderness rare in children that age. Nine-year-old Ara tried to explain to Tesuris that Elara was not his new toy, but another Furlite. He stared at her, and, with a glare, stated, “No. She mine.” Ara had virtually no patience, and, in exasperation, gave up trying to talk to the boy. That memory amused Nethunia to this day.

As Elara grew, the two did everything together, enticing even Terpus into vigorous play, despite the fact that the Monius developed poor health right after Elara’s birth. The arrival of Tesuris’ sister had little effect on the relationship, so obviously he fostered no infatuation with new babies. The two became inseparable, and, if allowed, they would have slept at each other’s homes every night! Nethunia’s mind and heart suddenly flipped with sudden insight.

“Oh no!” she murmured to herself, inhaling sharply, “could it be a bond?” Her soft exclamation drowned under the happy chatter swirling around the inside the vehicle. Nethunia frowned in confusion. Elara spoke nothing about Tesuris. She appeared to enjoy a good relationship with Kanus, but never talked of sex either, very atypical for a girl her age. Nethunia glanced at her bondsister. Not yet bonded, Ara enjoyed multiple partners, something Geupetus and Nethunia never experienced. Not that Nethunia cared. Her colleagues and friends assured her that sensations of unbonded sex compared to bonded sex like a candle flame related to a blazing inferno.  Nethunia wondered if the male attuned to Ara’s pheromones even existed. She flicked that thought away, unconcerned. Ara lacked no partners, quite the opposite of Elara.

Nethunia scowled, inwardly angry at herself, wishing Tesuris and Elara never experienced their forced separation. If a bond lurked there, could it be the dreaded single bond, where one of the couple reacts like a bonded individual, but the other is not likewise afflicted? A horrible emotional tragedy, she thought, recalling such situations she treated as a Mindmedic. The afflicted person walked through life an emotional cripple, waiting for the only cure, a true bond.

For her daughter’s situation, only an unconsummated bond explained the girl’s tumultuous emotions and virgin status. Nethunia concentrated on Elara, sensing tendrils of grief and anxiety slipping past the girl’s control. She marveled at Elara’s ability to cover it up all this time, yet Nethunia chastised herself for missing the bond entirely. She recalled being so tired, and preoccupied, and angry that awful night. The possibility never crossed her mind then. What a terrible oversight, and not just by her, but by her father Enlis! Everyone had been so upset that night, but what of subsequent nights? But then, who expects two individuals who meet as babies to bond? The girl possessed wonderful natural control. Even now, what she did show seemed nothing more than the pre-flight jitters every Cadet experiences Nethunia fought again with her maternal instincts. To try and comfort her now might cause the girl to lose control.

I have some concerns about the author of her Maine Coon aliens have such an interest in sex that teenagers not wanting to bone all the time is a sign of worry, and being a virgin at 19 is cause for alarm that the entire family should look into.

They're finally distracted by the first sight of the sleek, buttplug-like craft. Its base color is shiny gold, with markings in copper, black, and white. In other words, gaudy as all gently caress.

Geupetus parks the family shuttle in the hangar reserved for Fleet personnel. They cross the main parking lot to the apartments for crew and students under the shine of Aroriel's three moons, a rare sight to see for a family that leaves in the forest.

A young Furlite and friend of Ara, Satra, is running the front desk when they get in. She leads them to their apartment, 27, and everyone makes sure to put their palm on the door lock to ensure that it recognizes them.

quote:

“Elara?” Geupetus smiled at her as she placed her trembling hand on the pad. Yellow light slivered past her fingers before turning blue with a soft buzz. Elara exhaled relief, glad her hand triggered no alarms. Geupetus stepped into the quarters. Off the main room, three sleeping rooms bunked two each. A small bathing room finished the apartment layout. Everyone filed in, and, as Elara turned around, she gasped.

“Look!” She pointed at a large, very ancient photograph of a Matissia, in a nest with kits.

“Who in their right mind took that photo??”

“That information is long forgotten,” Geupetus chuckled. “That picture was taken before I ever arrived here. They made many copies, and most of the Common Rooms here have one, along with a portrait of Chieftain Darius.” Geupetus gestured at the opposite wall.  A painting of the Rebel Leader who freed his people from Koris’ tyranny hung in an ornate wooden frame.

“That painting is in every classroom at school.” Elara glanced back at her Clan’s founder before returning her gaze to the Matissia photograph. Geupetus detoured to one of the sleeping rooms to remove his backsack. Everyone else did likewise, but returned quickly to the Common Room to stand behind Elara as she gawked at the photograph.

“From what I hear, the photographer was badly hurt taking that picture,” Orios added. “The animal attacked, and he fell out of the tree.”  

“It looks almost like Iggie in her summer coat, only Iggie’s green is duller,” Elara mused. “And this one is thinner built.”

“Iggie is a temperate species,” Isea said. “This one looks tropical in origin. The long narrow muzzle and the short fur tell us that much.”

”I will never forget when you brought Iggie home,” Ara commented.

“Nor will I,” Geupetus sighed. “What a little supernova. From the moment I picked her up at the roadside, until Murkuria held her, she snarled, spit, and fought, despite being so badly injured, though she had no teeth yet. The Physician who worked on her sure was glad to see us leave that night.”

“He told you to keep the children away. Ha!” Isea threw back her head in a laugh. “Murkuria had to hold it, and had no fear. The creature calmed right down, and, well, we know the rest.”

“We should eat,” Geupetus reminded everyone. “Let us call in for dinner.”

Why thank you for all of that exposition, family. There was certainly no better way to express this information to us.

Elara decides to bathe before dinner, digging out her combs and brushes before running to the bathing pool and diving in. Without any conditioner, she just shampoos her fur and repeatedly dives in and out of the pool and swims underwater to rinse.

Has it been too long since Elara stressed about her ex? No?

quote:

“Oh, chafk,” she murmured to the empty room. “What if he wants no more to do with me? Did I anger him? I must have, because he severed contact so abruptly. One day, he talked cheerfully over the vidphone; then the next day, nothing, not a letter, nothing!” Elara’s voice caught in a sob as tears suddenly stung her eyes. “Could he have bonded? Chafk, I should be happy for him, but the thought kills me,” she mumbled.

Her stomach sank into her toes, and her throat constricted around her windpipe. She took her towel and vigorously rubbed herself down, soaking up more water from her coat. She fought the raw emotions as they surged forth. They ripped apart her heart, turning the Meditation Sessions of six years ago into a distant useless dream. She drew a deep breath, then, picking up her fine-toothed comb, groomed her wet coat. She grimaced as a few snarls tugged her hair. She slowed, and concentrated. She groaned, wishing she searched longer for that dratted conditioner.

quote:

Another snarl pulled at her scalp. Carefully, she untangled that, and settled down for the task of combing out the longer hair on her tail. The comb suddenly snagged on a nasty knot near the base of her tail. She tugged, pried, and yanked, gritting her teeth, but the tangle worsened. She poked, and pulled, but the matt responded by knotting up into a big dark-russet ball. Frustration erupted, and tumbled ferociously, combining with her anxieties over Tesuris. The emotion bloomed, mushrooming up from her guts, overwhelming her too fast for her to stop it. For one of the few times in her life, Elara lost control. With a scream of rage and grief, she flung her metal comb across the room. It skittered across the tiling to plop into the pool, landing on the first step. She broke into hysterical weeping, unable to stop it, and, somehow, not wanting to.

The whole family hears Elara throwing a tantrum over a boy and Nethunia goes to see what's wrong. We also finally learn in a small aside exactly what happened with Tesuris that caused such a problem:

quote:

Geupetus’ thoughts flew back to the day his best friend, Telluris, gained his first Command, leaving the Sauri for a new ship. Telluris’ spouse had been injured on a previous mission. Grounded by the injury, she decided to take her children, Tesuris and Sathria, with her back to Tital, to stay with her Clan until she healed.

Elara handled the separation terribly. At twelve years of age, she drove the family household into frenzy. Nearly a year later, when Tesuris inexplicably broke off all contact, Elara committed the horrendous act of stealing her grandmother’s shuttle in an attempt to drive halfway across the globe to see her friend.

"What did you do when you were 12? I played Grand Theft Auto at my friend's house and didn't tell my mom!"

"I stole a car and tried to drive to the other side of the planet to see my crush."

Geupetus, buddy, I don't think the problem with your daughter is that she's not getting laid.

Nethunia goes to her daughter, who's back to hysterics in the bathroom, and asks her what's wrong. Unable to think of anything sensible, Elara says she has a knot in her tail that she needs help with. Nethunia finds some generic conditioner in the cabinets for her, but is pretty drat aware that her daughter isn't a wreck over a knot in her hair (though considering how unstable she is, I wouldn't be surprised at this point).

Elara finally admits to her mother that she's suffering a psychotic breakdown over a childhood crush who's going to be serving on the ship with her. Nethunia says that she thinks Elara bonded to him, which is why she's so obsessed with him and lost her mind when he stopped talking to her. Elara is terrified that it was a single bond (where she bonds to him but he doesn't bond to her), but Nethunia waves this off as very rare. She figures there must be some other explanation for why he hasn't spoken to her.

While Elara finishes washing up, Nethunia returns to the family to explain what happened.

quote:

“It seems Elara has been bonded to Tesuris all this time.”

“Are you sure?” Geupetus raised both brows, his stomach knotting. “Blast me. I saw pain on her face when I told her about him this morning. Chafk! Will this be a big problem?”

“I hope not. I wish you would have said something,” Nethunia said.

“I meant to. I did, really, but it kept slipping my mind,” Geupetus growled.

“Bonded?” Orios and Isea glanced at each other. “At birth? That is impossible!”

“At birth, yes, but Elara was five days old when she had first contact with Tesuris,” Nethunia sighed. “I always thought one had to be at least a year old, but the bonding pheromones are present at birth.”

“But they take a year to develop fully, do they not?” Isea sputtered in disbelief.

“I always thought so,” Nethunia shrugged. “Perhaps that is not true. If this is a true bond, well, then maybe bonding can occur in the first year, after all. Perhaps even at birth, too.”

“I do not believe this,” Isea muttered. “I never heard of anyone bonding so young. You and Geupetus were young enough! But five days old, and three years? That is a wild theory.”

“We will know for sure in a day or so.” Nethunia glanced at the closed door. “We had best hope it is not a single bond.”

“Single bond!” erupted from all four. The glances exchanged around the table exhibited everyone’s dread.

Along with being a wild theory, a literal infant bonding with a toddler is a level of creep that approaches "Jacob imprinting on Nessa" heights.

Before they can talk much more, a robotic server rolls into the room to take dinner selections. It'll have to wait.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SerialKilldeer posted:

I know this last bit is meant to be very stirring and heartbreaking but, aside from the creepiness, I can't take anything that involves the name "Furlite" seriously. It sounds like a cheap knockoff of the Furby or something. The way these things are depicted in the illustrations doesn't help either.

A cheap knockoff with a sex obsession.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Elara comes out of the bathroom after her mother yells for her to come to dinner.

quote:

“Ah,” Elara rubbed her hands together. “The Sorsa steak, with the whipped Gurt roots, and the diced Jala roots. For desert, nothing less than that dark Kaba cake, with lots of frosting! I will just have water to drink.”

“Well, I guess you worked up an appetite, Daughter!” Geupetus laughed. “That is the exact dinner I picked!”

Everyone laughs, but they seem to be trying to avoid looking at Elara; they're all uncomfortable after hearing her crazy outburst. Ara talks to her a little about it, but it's mostly just a repeat of the last conversation.

quote:

She feared the worst, the dreaded single bond. Why else would he not contact her? As the food arrived, Elara pushed her worries away. She dove into the meal served on plain colorless scuffed Fleet gear that resembled baby dishware. She scowled at it briefly, but hunger won out over displeasure at the worn-out tableware. She shoveled in the food, and as she filled, sleepiness drooped her eyelids. After the meal, she bid everyone good sleep and sprawled on her bed. Slumber claimed her in minutes, but old memories and disturbing dreams battled in her mind. She tossed and turned on the cot all night.

Elara awakens to the sun shining on her tail and Ara calling her to breakfast. There's a whole paragraph detailing her morning routine, which includes using a tiny electric sander to polish her talons so they look bright and shiny when she inevitably freaks out and tries to gut a cadet. As they eat breakfast, Geupetus reveals that Siritus is on his way to look over the cadets personally. In a "quat of an octien", Siritus arrives.

quote:

The door slid aside, and Elara gazed at the Ancient Furlite who walked into the room. His fur shimmered silver. Not a strand of creamy white, russet, gold, or red marred the elder’s spectacular coat. Such pure lack of color, she mused. To have such silver fur, how old must he be? The hair itself glowed, with a healthy sheen, not like most very old Furlites, whose coats often grew shabby, brittle, and coarse with age, as had her Ancientparents’ fur. Both lacked the sheen and beauty this elder’s coat displayed. The shiny black Medallion resting on the Fleet Commander’s chest drew her attention away from his fur. Eight gems, representing the entire sun system, sparkled from their glossy black stone setting. At the center of the magnificent stone, a perfect circle of white diamond gleamed, glowing from within, refracting light in brilliant clarity, representing Roch, the sun of her homeworld.

Her eyes strayed to his eyes, and in those dark blue depths, wisdom glimmered. Siritus smiled, breaking Elara’s half-trance. She shivered and instantly lowered her eyes. She berated herself for her rude staring. As a Cadet, and as a Commander’s daughter, she should not behave like a silly child!

“Greetings to you, Commander, and to all present,” Siritus’ rich voice quivered with amusement. Siritus took Geupetus’ wrist in hearty greeting, noticing Elara’s unease. Steadfast intelligence and a strong will lurked behind those half-hidden aqua eyes. He nodded slightly, with approval. He had chosen well. All the Cadets possessed ambition and intellect, necessities on such an important mission. Only one of the Cadets seemed unaffected by Cadet nerves, but his records showed exceptional brilliance in his field of study. Siritus sat on the cushion Geupetus offered him.

“I am very happy to see all of you here.” Siritus scanned the group, his gaze coming last to Elara. “Greetings, Young One,” he smiled gently. Elara murmured return greetings, and twitched her tail. His voice turned brisk as he continued. “As you may have guessed already, Elara, my purpose here is to meet you. Your elders here, I already know, and they know the routine. Their training schedule will be rather light, but yours, Young One, will be very vigorous, intense, far more so than your SFEP classes, and I must warn you, if you do not fare well here, you will be denied your position aboard the Sunpyne.”

Elara gives a confident reply about her capabilities instead of being a shrinking violent like most cadets Siritus sees, so our protagonist gets extra props from him. After he leaves, Geupetus confirms that Siritus is 131 years old (which makes him 230 in Earth years, being born around the time of the American Revolution). Despite his silver fur, he works out regularly to stay buff and the family wonders if he has so much energy because he's waiting until he finds a proper replacement before retiring or dying.

A few hours later, it's time for them to leave for their first briefing; Elara realizes that Tesuris will be there and starts panicking.

quote:

The group paused momentarily outside Space Center Administration as Geupetus spoke his name and rank into the intercom. He placed his hand on the identification pad. The door swished open immediately, to reveal a spacious lobby. As they trotted down a long corridor, Elara peeked into some of the rooms. Furlites bustled around computer terminals and laboratory tables. A few sat behind crowded desks. Elara nearly bumped into Ara as the pace slowed. Geupetus led them into a large room. Staggered rows of well-cushioned seats lined the floor. The polished granite podium at the front of the room glistened a rich white. The marble wall behind the podium shimmered in wondrous shades and patterns of lavenders, pinks, and maroons. As they paced down an aisle, Elara noticed a small group of Furlites who had arrived early. She recognized the large Furlite with predominantly golden fur as Telluris. Her father did, as well, and his cheerful greeting echoed in the large hall.

“Good morning, Ship Second!”

At her father’s words, the whole group turned, and Elara’s insides froze solid. She did not heed the hearty greetings that swirled around her. She stared at the large, powerful male Furlite to Telluris’ right. His long, beautiful, gold-and-white coat captured only momentary attention before her gaze riveted on his eyes. Those deep blue depths melted all her resolve, and words vanished from her throat and mind. She lost herself in those dark orbs that shimmered like the finest cobalt glassware. By the cosmos that spawned us, she thought, how utterly handsome and huge he had grown! As a child, his small body never indicated his father’s genetic influence on his size, but, oh, he looked so gorgeous!

All rehearsed lines and thoughts skittered out of her mind. Her old emotions spun like a prairie cyclone, and several new strange feelings joined the fray. He returned her stare, his expression stony, and her whole being shrank inward. She wanted to die, to hide, to crawl under a rock! The worst had happened! The horrible single bond. What would she do now?! She swallowed hard, trying to draw strength from her mother’s words of the previous night. But this helped not at all. Instinctively, she reached out emotionally, trying to get a feel from him, but her own emotions roared, putting up too much interference. She sensed nothing. Her body trembled, and her eyes filled with bitter tears. She already knew she could not handle a single bond.

Yes. Gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's honestly hard for me to keep going with this. I'm cutting out 3/4 or more of these chapters in my summaries, so you can imagine how awful it is to try and read in full. So many pages and still almost nothing of consequence has happened.

• Locked thread