Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I find these sort of Let's Reads fascinating because there's so much background work on a goofy sci-fi story...but to what end? Is this a hard vs. soft sci-fi thing? Or a creator spending waaaaay too much time on tiny details of their universe that don't support the narrative in any way? I feel like this is a prototype to stuff like Malatoria or the guy obsessed with illegal divers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I appreciate your word choice in this context.

I'm finding that like most awful fiction I get frustrated because there are ideas that could be legitimately interesting. The experience of being a teen and learning your parents and extended family are leaving for an interstellar mission that will leave you older than them upon their return could be some legitimately interesting drama. How does a society handle teens navigating adulthood when their closest influences are gone? Is that why social interaction gets violent and murderers are executed to try and dissuade it? Do the lead characters begin to question or try to change that?

But NOPE, there's more care put into a base 8 measurement system and biological reproduction. Anything that could get the reader to empathize is described, as MST3K once put it, "like a voiceover for a [1950s] coffee commercial." For peoples' focus on the weird sex scenes I think it's in part because everything else is so bland or impenetrable it's the only thing a reader can remotely relate to, and even then we're just stunned going why THIS, Marie? Why this?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

"I hope they remember to get the third chybut, you know the one that descends at bonding, you know like how I have to exposit how our alien biology works even though we're all aliens and are comfortably familiar with bodily functions since that doesn't seem to be a particular taboo in our enlightened free space-faring society that murders murderers for any reason."

Also after paragraphs of weird insults "slopass boy" sent me into giggles. "Come, let us start a game, and forget slopass boy" is going to come to mind now every time some loser guy whines about diversity in gaming.

• Locked thread