Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I got my ham just a little while ago (had to DVR the episode). So, a few awesome notes from the premiere:

• Protobatman! Or Batboy? Batteenager? Bruce-Man! Way to go, OP. Lots of stuff on this guy, but it opens up with a patrol, a drop-in, a beat-up, and a get-away. Not-bad!
  • Catselina! When a problem comes along, she just whips it! When all the creeps come on too strong, she just whips them! When something's going wrong, she just whips it...
  • Zsasz just gets better and better every time I see him.
  • Batman camera angle in the hallway leading to the bad guys.
  • Oh yeah, bad guy license. I'm a little surprised Penguin didn't name it the Guild of Calamitous Intent.
  • Bruceman silently approaches Gordon for a chat. They chat. Gordon turns around but continues talking. He looks back, and Bruce is gone suddenly. Nice nod there, but honestly, this should make it easy for him to figure out who is Batman in the future. Especially if he keeps doing it as a young Bruce Wayne.

And how about the guy in charge of the asylum? He was just so over-the-top smarmy. The way he delivered the "They threatened me, I had no choice" line was just so loving... punchable? God, I wanted to punch him off my TV screen, and that was totally the intent. Love it. I haven't seen anyone chew on the scenery that hard since Fish ordered everybody out of the club, the source of my favorite Got Ham Gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Did anyone else love the Rapping Telegrams as much as I did? Or the casual way in which Penguin acquiesced to Zsasz's suggestion that they torture the guys (who clearly don't know the answer to the riddle) for Riddler's location?

I do wonder how Riddler is going to get his groove back.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Drew Powell made a wish on a monkey's paw about not having to wear the fake hand any more.

... yeah, I noticed that too.

OK, so, did I miss something? Was Butch Cassady's sundance kid restored at some point and I've just forgotten it? And is it clear that by "sundance kid," I mean hand? I mean, I added "Cassady" to make the reference feasible, but it seems like I'm really stretching things here.

Oh well. I guess this is why I don't write for Venture Bros.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

VictorianQueerLit posted:

As fast as they set that whole thing up I'm expecting Penguin to just hold a meeting of bad guys and start handing out super villain names and costumes

That would be going full Guild of Calamitous Intent.

Maybe the twist for this series is that it's actually a live action Venture Bros. and not Batman at all--it's just a bunch of coincidences, that's all. Totally unintentional.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
OK... so I guess it's good to see that William Murderface was getting some work after his stint with Dethklok. Too bad that wasn't his picking arm; he can play a solo with his wiener, but you gotta be able to fret those notes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Gotta say, getting kind of tired of the "Crazy woman falls in love with Gordon" subplots. This is the third drat time already. Still, excited for Jerome next week, and maybe Bruce will stop acting like a brat.

Who was the third crazy lady who fell in love with Gordon? Because if you think it was Little Miss Falcone, then I think you kind-of missed the point of her interactions with Gordon over the last several episodes.

She wasn't in love with him. She was manipulating and using him. She manipulated Penguin with kindness and confidence, and Gordon with unsolicited political favors and favorably received hanky-panky.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

Second half of the season starts March 1st, you goddamn jackals.

My pork leg has been salted, smoked, and cured. When March comes, I know what I'll say when someone asks me... got ham?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

quote:

quote:

WARNER BROS. TELEVISION AND DC ENTERTAINMENT TO TRANSPORT VIEWERS TO METROPOLIS, AN ALL-NEW LIVE-ACTION SERIES FROM EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS JOHN STEPHENS AND DANNY CANNON FOR THE UPCOMING DC-BRANDED DIGITAL SERVICE

New Drama Will Begin Production Later This Year, with First Season of 13 Episodes to Debut in 2019

Warner Bros. Television and DC Entertainment today announced that Gotham executive producers John Stephens and Danny Cannon will explore the world of Metropolis in an all-new live-action drama series to air exclusively on the upcoming DC-branded direct-to-consumer digital service, operated by Warner Bros. Digital Networks. Metropolis has received a direct-to-series order for a first season of 13 episodes and will go into production later this year for a debut on the service in 2019.

Set in the wondrous and awe-inspiring City of Tomorrow before the arrival of Superman, Metropolis follows Lois Lane and Lex Luthor as they investigate the world of fringe science and expose the city’s dark and bizarre secrets.

John Stephens (Gotham, Gossip Girl, The O.C., Gilmore Girls) and Danny Cannon (Gotham, Nikita, CSI series) are the executive producers of Metropolis. Danny Cannon will direct the first episode, from a teleplay by John Stephens, with story by Cannon and Stephens. Based on characters created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, published by DC, Metropolis is produced by Warner Bros. Television.

The order for Metropolis marks the fourth announced series for the new DC digital service, which will deliver an immersive experience designed just for DC fans. Additional programs include Warner Bros. Television’s live-action drama Titans, as well as Warner Bros. Animation’s Harley Quinn and Young Justice: Outsiders.

Wow, that's a hell of a good idea. I wish they'd do something like that for Gotham City--you know, a live action show featuring some of the ancillary characters from Batman as the leading characters of the show because Batman hasn't arrived yet.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Gordon: [He's] a toymaker but also an assassin.
Nygma: (laughs) ... that is so Gotham.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

I thought of suggesting some version of this for thread title but didn't come up with anything great. Loved it, though.

How married are we to the standard thread title format?

A Toy Maker but Also an assassin? That's so Gotham, Season 4.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

I love love love how this show has fully leaned into "being a villain ='s being queer as gently caress". I mean, there was Penguin and Fish and Barbara, but now Ivy had that confrontation with Selina where they were inches from kissing, and Ed's apotheosis is basically a coming out story. Pretty much all their major villain heroes are queer now (plus a handful of their guest villains, like Hugo Strange). It's loving beautiful.

Penguin is gay. Riddler is queer how, exactly? And Lady Falcone? And while I did get that vibe from Ivy and Selena's close moment, that is just because I'm an old pervert. I haven't seen any other indication that any of them are queer. Other than Penguin, that is. And Babs and Miss Galavant, I guess.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Fish was bi. She seduced that singer and sent her to gently caress with Don Falcone back in season 1.

OK, I forgot about that.

Hugo Strange was screamingly fey. Sure. he never gets it on with anyone, but you don't have to be in order to be gay. Hugo's a classic sissy villain, none of whom hosed or sucked either.

So he's gay because he's a sissy? I think you're reaching here. There are a lot of heterosexual guys whose lack of traditional masculinity doesn't change the fact that they are only sexually attracted to women.

Ivy seduces both men and women (though not for sex, shes not a rapist), but the subtext here is that the only person she cares about is Selina. Not that I enjoy appealing to canon, but when both women are queer in the comics it's hard not to see the result here as suggestive.

She hypnotizes anyone (hypnotizes? Meh, it's the word they use....) and it always has the exact same effect; she has yet to use this ability for sex or anything close to it, so it's really irrelevant. If she's not harboring any sexual interest in women, then she's neither gay nor bi, and I've yet to see any scenes where she's showing any verifiable interest in other women. Again, I think you're reaching here.

Riddler's queer. Even if we ignore his super earnest love riddle from last season -- though that should be conclusive enough -- you've got his recent arc here. The Riddler's need for Penguin to acknowledge him as an equal and a "true friend" (classic Penguin double speak for crush/boyfriend, used since early season 1) reads to me as sublimated sexual desire, which is only compounded by his need to erase his love for Lee Thompkins from his life. Killing her will finally erase the last spectre of heterosexuality from his life -- his apotheosis as the Riddler is a twisted kind of coming out.

Yeah, just gonna have to flat-out disagree with you here. This is beyond reaching. The non-sexual explanations for Riddler's need for Penguin to acknowledge him make much more sense and requires much less in the way of wild assumption than any theory that he's queer or gay or whatever.

That said, Penguin's not gay. He's queer as well -- he had a thing for Sophia Falcone.

Uhm... no he didn't. She made his mama's goulash and then she rubbed his feet. You might be able to argue that his appreciation of the latter act indicates some bit of sexual attraction, but again, it can just as easily be explained as a purely platonic feeling of closeness and gratitude.

I get the feeling it'd be easier for you to list the characters who you don't think are gay or queer or bi or tri or whatever the kids are calling it these days.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 18, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
And let's not kid ourselves here. If the creators of Gotham decide to go ahead and make all the villains gay, bi, queer, trans, lesbians, and so on, then we'll have a TV show where all the bad guys are LGBT etc. I'm sure some folks would enjoy that... for about one second. Then there'll be hashtag wars, Twitter battles, pundits on TV, boycotts, counter-boycotts... one day, everyone will be talking about how just because you're gay, that doesn't make you a supervillain, and that the show doing this is sending the wrong message... then there will be examples of heterosexual villains, both fictional and in real-life, and how dare Gotham suggest that bad guys must be gay... then the red pill folks will complain that cisgender, heterosecual whitefolk are under-represented in Gotham's villain's row, which is bad because it demonstrates once again that said cisgender hetero whitefolk are the REAL victims of societal prejudice and discrimination...

I mean, do the writers of Gotham want angry letters and protests? Because that [making all of your bad guys gay, bi, queer, etc.] is how you get angry letters and protests.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Queer coding villains is really common among older stuff, and a lot of it just got baked into the characters so you still see it today.

Was it, though?

I'm genuinely asking. Full disclosure: I am not a fan of the comics. Of any comics, really, other than The Tick, and I only have read the original series of that one. Not because I think comics are dumb, but because I just never got into them as a kid. So, I am curious as to what you're talking about here.

Is this "queer-coding" literal, in that they're actually queer characters? Or is it more suggestive, like "hey, that green, skin-tight outfit with question marks all over it sure looks a little queer", and there's little to no proper evidence that said characters are actually queer?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
So now that it's the best it's ever been, now they want to reboot? Soft reboot? Pseudo-reboot?

I'm cautiously optimistic.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

Fox is starting to make cancel and renew decisions. Brooklyn 99 is cancelled.

And Last Man on Earth and The Mick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Guys. Guys guys guys guys guys.

The second "joker", Jeremiah, who's so very much more into planning and being methodical and thinking things through...

He's a Practical Joker.

Well played, sir. Well played.

I tried almost a dozen times in this thread to make a word-play joke that would win me praise from my fellow goons--I figured something would make folks laugh at my cleverness. But, no pun in ten did.

• Locked thread