Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ManSedan posted:

How many times have characters claimed, declared, or otherwise stated they had, or need, an army?
Too many times. And every time they never actually get an army, not one we ever see at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I thought it was kinda amusing at first, but the whole "Nobody dies" thing is starting to get annoying at this point. Why should I care if any character is put in a deadly situation? Chances are if they die they'll somehow come back to life anyway so it doesn't even matter.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

...! posted:

Season one of this show was great but I felt like it immediately jumped the shark after that. Season two was mediocre but still watchable. Season three was awful trash and I put off finishing it till last month. Is this season any better so far? If not, I'll pass. Having a sixteen year old Batman running around sounds terrible.
Honestly, I'd pass if I were you. If you really hated the third season that much you'll loathe this season, despite only having a few episodes. I mean for one thing they already brought back a dead character, Barbara. Even though she'd stuck around way too long midway through Season 2.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

...! posted:

Isn't Batman canon that Barbara marries Gordon anyway? It would have shocked me if they'd left her dead.
I'm not 100% on Batman canon, especially with minor characters like that, but do you really expect Gordon to ever marry her after all the poo poo she's pulled? And I guess, for me, it's more just another instance of bringing a character from the dead when it really isn't needed. Barbara in particular had long overstayed her welcome, which is a problem the show seems to have throughout.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

...! posted:

Honestly I thought they ruined her character when they made her eeeeeevil and I thought it'd just be a temporary thing. Several seasons later, that doesn't seem to be the case. :(
Yeah, it doesn't help that she stopped being interesting in the least bit after her freaky "I will marry Jim and kill everyone in my way!" thing stopped. Like in Season 3 she was so bland and made such a lovely villain.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I have to say, I'm so glad that Victor Zsasz is becoming a regular cast member. He is just so drat funny in basically every scene he's in.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Man, I've been hoping Pyg would show up since the middle of Season 2. Really psyched for next week's episode.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

If I recall, the usual Solomon Grundy has impressive regeneration abilities. Him growing his hand back should've been a non-issue. I gotta say though, he seems pretty...underwhelming. Basically a big, not particularly muscle-bound guy covered in flour. Still, better than a CG Grundy, so I'll take it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

VictorianQueerLit posted:

As fast as they set that whole thing up I'm expecting Penguin to just hold a meeting of bad guys and start handing out super villain names and costumes
That's pretty much how it happened in the comics, though.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm a bit disappointed in how much they toned down Professor Pyg, but still liked the episode overall. Victor is still amazing, but I gotta roll my eyes at Lee STILL being around.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Shame about the new hit man though.
It's just nice to see Penguin do something bloodthirsty and violent again.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Barreft posted:

I feel like this show is starting to take itself too seriously (Typing even though literally a dude shot in the head without a hand was reborn in the swamps with a hand). Hopefully someone knows what I mean? It's like it's being serious and silly instead of silly and serious. I still like it but give me another Army of Penguins scene or something every once and awhile please, there's no fun, goofy surprises anymore.
I dunno, I feel like the whole "Riddler is stupid" situation fits the bill on that.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Well, next week's episode certainly seems better than the one we just got. Was kind of disappointed Grundy didn't kill Tabitha, and was bummed at how useless Firefly continues to be. Where in the Hell is Victor? Still visiting his grandma?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The song and dance was so idiotically hilarious, it really had me laughing. I'm really glad Pyg got his own arc, I thought he'd just be a one-off villain for Halloween, but the show pleasantly surprised me. Penguin's bonding with the orphan boy is also really great, and I'm really pumped for the next episode in two weeks. Looks like Penguin is finally gonna go back to his roots and cause some huge poo poo to go down.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Gotta say, getting kind of tired of the "Crazy woman falls in love with Gordon" subplots. This is the third drat time already. Still, excited for Jerome next week, and maybe Bruce will stop acting like a brat.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

tarlibone posted:

Who was the third crazy lady who fell in love with Gordon? Because if you think it was Little Miss Falcone, then I think you kind-of missed the point of her interactions with Gordon over the last several episodes.

She wasn't in love with him. She was manipulating and using him. She manipulated Penguin with kindness and confidence, and Gordon with unsolicited political favors and favorably received hanky-panky.
I guess for some reason I thought she was being genuine with Jim. Ah well, guess that settles that.

Oh yeah, and having Victor back is so great. I dunno what it is, but everything he says just makes me chuckle. "Coincidence? I think not!"

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Just caught up.

Can Penguin please kill Little Miss Falcone now? She's almost as bad as Fish
Is Falcone's daughter even a real Batman character, or was she made for the show? I don't think I've ever liked any of the OCs the show provides. Miss Falcone, Moony, Butch, Theo Galavan (before his resurrection), Barbara...The only one I like is Jerome, but really only because he's basically just The Joker in all but name.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The Bloop posted:

Eh... TAS made up Harley. Let's not be too reliant on previous works or nothing new will ever happen.

Butch turned out to be someone familiar, but in retrospect, Ivy wasn't anybody I guess.
Well, I suppose. But honestly overall TAS is better than Gotham is, and at this point I'm not gonna expect any exceptional OCs from this show. As for Butch, honestly I'm kind of disappointed with how Grundy is so far. Isn't he supposed to be far more dangerous than the one we have? All he's really done is fight at some low-end fight club and act has a bodyguard.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Speaking of Penguin killing people, did he just give up on avenging his mother? He doesn't seem to give a poo poo about Tabitha anymore.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

If they were so insistent on bringing back crimelords aside from Penguin, why didn't they just use The Ventriloquist? He's a more recognizable Batman villain, way more interesting than Miss Falcone, and the poor guy is really underused in Batman media outside of the comics.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I gotta say, not happy with how the season has gone so far. Grundy has been a waste, Pyg turned out to just be another one of Sofia's cronies which kind of ruined his craziness, Sofia herself being what appears to be the season villain when the character she's based on is so minor. Like someone people actually know and recognize should've been in her place. Not liking the rear end in a top hat Bruce plotline and I don't like how Barbara is probably gonna be an even bigger part of the second half of the season. Pyg was the only thing I liked in the season, and that Penguin finally regrew his spine after the third season ground it to dust.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 9, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Will Jerome steal Christmas?
I'd forgive all the awful poo poo this season if that happened.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Mameluke posted:

Lex is gay for yet another TV version of Solomon Grundy"
Pardon? This has happened before?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yeah, honestly if they pull a new Joker he'll never be as good as Jerome.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

tarlibone posted:

Penguin is gay. Riddler is queer how, exactly? And Lady Falcone? And while I did get that vibe from Ivy and Selena's close moment, that is just because I'm an old pervert. I haven't seen any other indication that any of them are queer. Other than Penguin, that is. And Babs and Miss Galavant, I guess.
Yeah, you pretty much have it on the nose, it's just those three you listed.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

McTimmy posted:

Nobody ever stays dead in Gotham!
Or if you're important enough to the plot you just go into a coma from a clean headshot. Total bullshit but not the first time she show's done dumb poo poo like that.

Glad we're gonna get a Jerome episode next week considering how much they teased him with zero payoff so far.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

What? an evil hypnotist is an alright premise for a bad guy and he used the watch and everything at the start. His first victim was done during an actual hypnotism during a show and getting Gordon to jump off of a building was a pretty elaborate affair.

That, to me, is way more plausible than

"Hickory dickory dock. The clock......"
*immediately attacks someone and runs up to a roof ready to execute a set of instructions*
Yeah, I was thinking that too. Now all he has to do is rhyme at people and they'll do whatever he says.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Like there's literally no reason why Tetch shouldn't be ruling the entire planet right now. 'Cause apparently all he needs to do is blurt out a nursery rhyme at you and you'll do whatever he wants. He just needs to hijack a couple of radio stations or a big television station and get like, 95% of America under his thumb in about a day.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Wow, Joker, Penguin, Firefly, Freeze, Mad Hatter, Scarecrow and Grundy all in one room, with Hugo Strange possibly joining in. Never thought I'd see the day where so many members of the Rogue's Gallery would meet up like this. This is the kind of poo poo I always wanted with the show, it's just a shame it's nearly twenty episodes into the fourth season before we got it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yeah, it feels inevitable they'll make Jeremiah the Joker. Otherwise why introduce him? But I thought they didn't want to give the Joker a backstory...so they ditch the obvious Joker for another one...that has a backstory. Then what's the freaking point?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm still annoyed that the show decided to focus on the mob scene again, but brought in an extremely minor character instead of The Ventriloquist. Poor guy doesn't get enough love.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Ra's al Ghul coming back was nice, but it doesn't stop this Demon Head arc from being the most idiotic one in the entire series. It's been a bit painful, honestly.

And for next week, it's weird that Jeremiah seems to have a "normal" persona? Didn't his face turn wide with super-red lips last week? Though I suppose make-up is possible.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

So far I'm on the fence with Jeremiah in general. I'm not sure I really like his totally calm "super sane" type of personality, especially against Jerome's dramatic acceptance of being a hammy fucker. It just doesn't feel like The Joker to me. Though it's only been part of an episode so far, so it's still kind of early to tell.

And I'm going to remain cautiously dubious on how much the status quo will change in this season finale, especially given the show's strong reluctance to kill off characters permanently, even OCs not part of the usual Batman mythos. Like no way they're gonna kill off Alfred or Selina, not a freaking chance.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Whether it's Ecco or not, I hope the eventual Harley we get will wear that costume from the last episode. A lot of modern Harley designs seem to forget the whole "Harlequin" aspect. Looking at you, Suicide Squad.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Phylodox posted:

Of course it’s Ecco. Gordon takes off her mask, sees her face, and says “Ecco?!?”
I meant whether or not Ecco becomes Harley, or if this was some one-time thing.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Still dunno how I feel about Jeremiah. So far he's accomplished absolutely nothing in his big debut episode, and it seems he won't be able to do anything without some serious help. I'm hoping next week's episode actually gives us some of those big, status quo changing events it promised. I know how much this show fears serious change. Got my fingers crossed, though.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

At this point I can take it or leave it with this show. Like if it gets renewed, I'll end up watching it. If it got cancelled, I wouldn't lost any sleep over it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Admittedly more happened than I was expecting, with Butch's death and all. I'm more nervous that this whole big "Everything is going crazy!" poo poo will wind up like when the inmates of Indian Hill escaped, where about 90% of it was resolved between seasons. And I gotta say, Barbara is doing her damndest to make this show unwatchable. This whole "gender war" thing she's been pushing all season has been pretty cringeworthy and childish.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

Guys. Guys guys guys guys guys.

The second "joker", Jeremiah, who's so very much more into planning and being methodical and thinking things through...

He's a Practical Joker.
Get out.

Really though, I'm hoping this new gimmick with the "super sane" Joker starts to grow on me next season, since I have a feeling Jeremiah will be a lot more relevant than Jerome tended to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Did Barbara really just put up a huge "No Boys Allowed" sign on her clubhouse?

That finale was basically this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6vBSdO2nmY&t=38s
Pretty much, Barbara's been like this for like, two seasons, man. At this point she's essentially acting like a middle schooler.

And I'm really hoping the next season picks up like, a week after this one ended instead of what they did with Hugo's monsters.

• Locked thread