Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So Chinese medicine can just turn you into a super person? God drat that is just some ignorant, mystical Asia Orientalism poo poo right there.

Also Bruce in this episode

Stupid sexy Bruce!

So Falcone's daughter went from being like 16 to 24 between scenes.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is the only time i've ever gave a gently caress about Zsaz. He's pretty much is the most boring Batman villain. Oh he stabs people! Scary! Then the show give him a personality, and when he shows up its always good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Davros1 posted:

No he stabs people, then makes a cut on his skin.

That makes him so much better!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I did laugh at the Hobos listening to a victrola of Solomon Grundy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's not even a common name either.

It's a "no my son is also named Bort" situation.

So what silly reason are they going to use to explain why Ivy suddenly changes appearance again?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh forgot about that. I wonder why they're changing actors, again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gotham EMTs are worse than its cops. They didn't notice that guys injuries were fake?

I did like the cop at the end telling the criminal they're not accepting the licenses anymore.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was extremely confused at Bullocks behavior at the end. He seemed to be confessing he's a poo poo captain, but then when Gordon gets him to sign away his position and take it for himself, Bullock is all gently caress you man, twist the knife more!

It was very confusing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SpaceAceJase posted:

This show is so fantastic. I'm in awe of the lighting and atmosphere. Even the daylight hours are dim.

Gotham : Why the gently caress does anyone live here? No seriously why?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I find it interesting Selina has become a pretty minor character now. She no longer has her own storylines, and is a minor character in the ones she's involved in.

And I'm really sick of Oswalds "Everyones out to get me, kill everyone Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" personality recently, but that was being pushed by Sofia, so hopefully it will calm down. I liked Victor with the RPG, he looked so happy using it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

Probably because they've split up her and Bruce so there's nobody around who treats her as an equal in her stories.

Yep, the focus on that storyline is completely on Barb, while fun, she just being crazy isn't enough to really support entire story lines.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't think who this show is for, it's certainly not for people who like Batman, so for people who like silly police and gangster shows?

I actually expected Bruce at the end to say to Alfred "I'm trying to create the image of a spoiled playboy so no one will guess that i'm really a punching criminals in a bat costume", but nope, its just dumb.

I did like the cops telling Penguin to gently caress off, though I think at this point if one of these guys comes into the GCPD, they should just shoot them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Bloop posted:

I like Batman and I like Gotham. I'm enjoying the DC lore remix.

I also like crazy wild ride unpredictable TV shows like LOST and Once Upon a Time, so its perfect for me.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy how silly and crazy it is, but I'm just trying to figure out who outside of weird TV and comic nerds like us are watching.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm if they're doing that I'm hoping Selina is revealed to be Falcone's illegitimate daughter. Though that wouldn't effect the show in the way it was in the comics because it was implied she knew before hand and why she was targeting the Falcone's in the first place

Will Jerome steal Christmas?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I'd forgive all the awful poo poo this season if that happened.

That whole thing is the Joker defined for me. He steals christmas from a family, and then tries to gas the entire city. Not this slashed movie killer Joker we were given in the new 52, or what ever the gently caress the Suicide Squad was trying to give us.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The problem I find the No Superman Superman show, is that unlike Batman, his villains are generally people with powers that are pretty god tier. Not to mention as others have said, I don't really want another show winking at us pretending its an easter egg.

Also, there's a perfect, but tiny, Superman on Supergirl! Why not just make a spin off from that? I am defiantly at the saturation point of DC TV shows.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I cracked up at Gordon asking Bullock is Ivy's hair was more auburn or scarlet, and it working.

The whole thing of having everyone become who they will become except Bruce is starting to feel weird. Him not becoming Batman feels like its just happening because the writers are holding it back, not for any real story reason.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Queer coding villains is really common among older stuff, and a lot of it just got baked into the characters so you still see it today.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's more like, they have stereotypical gay attributes, like they're often flamboyantly and impeccably dressed, have a certain way to speaking, or they have very precious and delicate movements. Or there's straight up acting in a way that implies they have homosexual urges.

Disney villains are a great example. Look at how Scar in The Lion King minces around and essentially has limp wristed paw movements. Another good one are many Bond Villains. Bloefeld and his prissy behavior and his cat, or the Assassians in Diamonds are Forever, which are pretty much as close to openly gay as you could get in the past.

A good comic related one is how every evil woman that the X-men encounters pretty much wants to gently caress Kitty Pryde. Not explicitly on page, but its sure as hell
implied as much as the Comics Code would allow. Whether that was Claremonts kink or trying to make a villain seem more evil is debatable.

All of this stems from the codes that were in place, as I mentioned the Comics Code and the Hays Code for movies.

This is all to contrast with the manly and totally not gay heroes. You know James Bond is gonna gently caress at the end, and it will be a woman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Disney based Ursula on Divine, so I never knew what to make of that. You can have a villain that's gay, and that's just part of who they are like they're blond or whatever. They might want to destroy the Camden Yards, but its not because they're gay. Though you can also have being gay be a part of what makes them so evil. Baron Harkonnen in Dune is straight up gay, and its shown to be part of his extreme hedonistic personality. It also how the hero reacts to it. De Silva in Skyfall makes a pass at Bond and Bonds all "yea so? Not my first time" and that kind of cuts off De Silva right there.

It also seems way more acceptable to have women who are bisexual than men. I know this is because straight dudes are totally into chicks who make out with other chicks but they know they might get some too.

The Bloop posted:

The mirror universe in Star Trek, especially DS9, has everyone turn both evil and into a leather clad bisexual dominatrix.

I'm also thinking of Him from Powerpuff Girls

Yea, like WTF was with that? I mean I'm sure Visitor had fun playing Mirror Kira, because it always seens to be fun for actors to just chew the scenery and let loose their inner ham, but it certainly associates being bisexual with being predatory.

is Him the devil in PPG?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Uh so....wtf with Babs there? She gaining the power of the White Lantern or something?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nameless Pete posted:

Remember that one episode of Batman Beyond where Talia al Ghul shows up, but it's actually Ra's' mind inside her body as a last ditch effort to avoid the grave? And it's a little weird because "she" kissed Bruce before David Warner's voice started coming out of her?

Exactly that, and I couldn't be more excited.

Holy crap I forgot about that. I hope she does that with Gordon but Siddig's voice comes out of her.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Was that Therapy? I assumed he was just into adult baby stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Tetch is the worst.

He really is. As I said when he was the main villain, he is the kind of villain hack writers thinks his clever, because everything being a rhyme means they're smart! The Mad Hatter is also just a terrible character as he's left over from the golden age when bad comic books just adapted existing public domain works.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I mean it was obvious the instant the twin brother was introduced, but it still feels way to cliche to have Jerome have a final revenge. Also glad Gordon finally just went "gently caress it, i'm killing Jerome". If someone could just put one between Tech's eyes too, or at least rip out his tongue.

Nobody likes the Mad Hatter, NO ONE! Condiment King or The Calculator are better villains than him.

bull3964 posted:

Anyone think the music that the joker band was playing before Gordon showed up sounded vaguely like the 60s Batman theme?

It was pretty obvious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gotham is a lot like Legends of Tomorrow, when the show was serious, it was utter crap, but once they embraced the camp and sillyness of it, it became way more enjoyable. Though I don't think it will ever top LoT for just pure fun in a tv show though.

One thing I am still surprised at is they have not introduced a baby Harley Quinn. I wonder if its because they just can't figure out what do with her, because her transformation is directly caused by the Joker much later in life, though she was always not all there. Or they just can't find an actor that is suitable.

Burning_Monk posted:

One between the eyes? So like a coma?

this loving show!

Basically, every time they fail to just execute one of these guys, all the people the villains kill are because of them. Gotham needs a Dredd level justice system.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, we totally have a Harle Quinn, just not named, but she might as well be. Probably turn out to be her mom or something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea a 13 episode season with a clear end in sight is the best idea.

I'm really glad they didn't go full Killing Joke on Selina. I saw someone mention somthing about that inregards to this episode, and I was worried that they'd do "the shoot her, take naked pictures of her" part. Glad they have more sense than most Batman fans have these days.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kin posted:

It's pretty funny how often they've changed Ivy for what's been a total of about 6 episodes? None of which had any real consequence to the plot.

Yea, its one of the strangest things about the series. I wonder if it was just because they wanted to sex up the character, or maybe it was issues with the actor behind the scene? And honestly, the shows Ivy always bugged me because the idea of Pamela Isley being a genious biotanist and a woman who had really worked for success was a better character than "she liked plants and had magic powers".

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, this is just good news as far as I'm concerned.

I mean, I'm worried that they'll also end up shucking some cast members, but I imagine that if they do it'll be Sophia, Rás and Lucius Fox. AKA none of the best characters.

Fingers crossed for a fourth Ivy and a third Kringle.

4th Ivy can be Chelsea Spack.

I fele like Ras will be the ultimate villain, the one who finally gets Bruce to put on the cape.

My biggest worry is that they do something dumb like bring back Fish and make it all about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, a whole season of No Mans Land but without the interesting stuff would not be engaging. Oh another episode of Gordon trying to reason with one of the gangs, how fun.

• Locked thread